MGS3 is now made in high-res?

http://media.metalgearcentral.com/screens/mgs3/165.jpg

http://media.metalgearcentral.com/screens/mgs3/166.jpg

http://media.metalgearcentral.com/screens/mgs3/167.jpg

http://media.metalgearcentral.com/screens/mgs3/168.jpg

Axe Wielding Nut
02-29-2004, 05:36 AM
"MGS3 is now made in high-res?"

thats exactly what I thought.. no way ps2 can pull that off... it looks too sharp

altho that does show how hot a PC version of the game could look like

Dreamkin
02-29-2004, 06:14 AM
This is not hi-res. Probably taken from a hi-def TV though. As for what the good old PS2 can pull off... guys, you'd be amazed.

Seska
02-29-2004, 06:16 AM
It does look like the PS2 could pull it off - it puts me in mind of the crisp graphics of the SH3 cutscenes. Do, however, notice, that the textures are still very bland: Look at the floor, rocks, trees.

Looks like PS2 to me.

Axe Wielding Nut
02-29-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Dreamkin
This is not hi-res. Probably taken from a hi-def TV though. As for what the good old PS2 can pull off... guys, you'd be amazed.

yea? hmm, then thats quite possibly the best looking ps2 game i've seen so far... altho now that I look at it a bit Seska has a point.. i noticed it on the ground

Zod
02-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Those are propaganda shots. For some reason, developers releasing games on all three systems have lately gotten into a pattern of releasing screenshots of what games would look like on $10,000 HDTV's with all the right extra component cables.

Alucard
02-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Those screens have been touched up aswell. Notice how the pics have a sort of light blur to them? Like a filter was placed there to cover up any jagged edges or such.

Konami are gods. Only they make games that look and ARE awesome!

Nindalf
02-29-2004, 01:16 PM
MGC? Metal gear CUBE?! GC EXCLUSIVE!1!

And no nonsene about Metal gear Center. That would be too far fetched.

Oh, and Twin Snakes > Snake Eater. I lost faith in MG after that disgrace Sons of Liberty.

Mav3r1ck
02-29-2004, 02:08 PM
What was wrong with Sons of Liberty Nindalf? I thought the game was true to the Metal Gear Solid series..

Alucard
02-29-2004, 02:31 PM
It was too confusing for alot of people. They didn't see the little hidden meanings and represenations some of the characters played in the story.

Zod
02-29-2004, 03:19 PM
How was it confusing?

I thought it was straight-forward enough. The only thing I didn't like was the cop-out ending with Raiden going back to that patriot spy who kidnaps babies from other mothers and kills the mothers as if that's supposed to be a happy ending. She even mocked how easy it was to control Raiden, and he still went back to her. He is certifiably PW'ed.

NEO-GEO
02-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Wow, Nice pictures.

Nindalf
02-29-2004, 04:01 PM
There was absolutely nothing confusing about SoL. Pr0n is more confusing!! It's just that the story plain and simply sucked, it was B-O-R-I-N-G. Of course the little meanings Alucard speaks of have slipped my mind since my bro sold the PS2 long ago so havn't played it in... *counts legs* 14 YEARS!!... oh, 2 or something...

Game was horrible, by far the worst one I played this generation, and I played State Of Emergency. Well, it was better than SoE, but not by much. Well actually pretty damn much, damn waste of time...

But point is, SoE and SoL both sucked.

Arahenion
02-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Wow, I didn't even see Snake in that last picture until I stared at it long enough.

Dreamkin
02-29-2004, 04:08 PM
To me it was an ATTEMPT of a complicated plot. But it is filled with more holes than a black hole itself. Hideo Kojima is a nice story designer but a TERRIBLE dialog writer. The way characters are introduced are so cheesy that I had to hold myself not to laugh at them. "Oh isn't this the one they call Fortune... Also known as blablabla" Visually the story rules. Contentwise it was almost a torture to me. I agree that MGS was much better than MGS:2 storywise. I think Hideo Kojima overestimeated himself.

Nindalf
02-29-2004, 04:08 PM
And I didn't see that 54th leaf at first. The uber hiding skillz!!

Icarus4578
02-29-2004, 05:41 PM
After having just watched First Blood it makes me want to play this game right now. I hope it plays as good as it looks.

All companies release screenshots of games in super high-quality. Of course they want the best possible presentation; they want people to buy their games, after all.

Mav3r1ck
02-29-2004, 06:09 PM
I think you guys a being a little hard on MGS:2. I mean sure the dialog wasn't all that good at times but you have to admit that the story itself had its moments.

Zod
02-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Icarus4578
All companies release screenshots of games in super high-quality. Of course they want the best possible presentation; they want people to buy their games, after all.

True, but when people start buying it and it doesn't look as good on their TV's as it was shown to look, people are gonna start complaining and reviewers are gonna start ripping it new ones.

hgblob
03-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Zod
The only thing I didn't like was the cop-out ending with Raiden going back to that patriot spy who kidnaps babies from other mothers and kills the mothers as if that's supposed to be a happy ending. She even mocked how easy it was to control Raiden, and he still went back to her. He is certifiably PW'ed.

IIRC, that particular Rose was not the real one, but the virus-infected AI in disguise.

Reality
03-01-2004, 12:45 AM
I don't see the point in these screens. I didn't see Snake in any of them..

Haha anyway, I will say if this is from the PS2 version then that's impressive. Twin Snakes caliber about. Look forward to a new trailer of the game so that I can compare it to the screens when in motion.

SpaceManSpiff
03-01-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Reality

Haha anyway, I will say if this is from the PS2 version then that's impressive.

Am I missing something? Isnt the PS2 version the ONLY version? And I saw Snake in every one of those pics without looking for him.

IoriYagami n8
03-01-2004, 01:31 AM
The PS2 is certainly capable of displaying things in high resolutions (as seen in the pictures), but that just makes the poor textures and lack of detail more apparent. I don't see why people seem to think this game looks amazing, it's a bit of a step down from what was done with Twin Snakes, and aside from the more colorful atmosphere doesn't look all that much better then SoL if you ask me.

NEO-GEO
03-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Mav3r1ck
I think you guys a being a little hard on MGS:2. I mean sure the dialog wasn't all that good at times but you have to admit that the story itself had its moments.

I agree.

Dead Account 01
03-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by IoriYagami n8
I don't see why people seem to think this game looks amazing Yeah, the texture work isn't so hot (though I think the game looks significantly better than MGS:TTS). I think it was a poor decision to sacrifice texture quality for 60 FPS and no loads. In this type of game 30 FPS is plenty and loading? I don't mind it at all (particularly since developers can put them in fairly unobtrusively).

Mav3r1ck
03-01-2004, 02:45 AM
I guess we have to chose between beautyful games or long load times. Honestly I'd rather have it striaght down the middle if anything.

GodOfCookery
03-01-2004, 04:03 AM
Eat this, Killzone. BOW TO THE MASTERS OF THE PS2

Seska
03-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
Those screens have been touched up aswell. Notice how the pics have a sort of light blur to them? Like a filter was placed there to cover up any jagged edges or such.

Konami are gods. Only they make games that look and ARE awesome!

I wouldnt say they have been post-touched up, that blur you mention is present in few games lately - Need for Speed Underground and Onimusha 3 - it does hide the jaggies somewhat and distracts from them while giving a very nice touch to the whole scene. It looks beautiful with sunsets and partially obscured sunglares. On pc, the effect is called Light Bloom, the PS2 pulls it off rather nicely.

Reality
03-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by SpaceManSpiff
Am I missing something? Isnt the PS2 version the ONLY version? And I saw Snake in every one of those pics without looking for him.

Haha we all did. It was a camouflage joke. And is there only a PS2 version? I would have thought there to be a PC version also.

Nindalf
03-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Metal Gear Cube man... That's just obvious...

Hopefully Solid's and Liquid's lost brother Gas Snake will make an appearance...

gearhound1
03-02-2004, 01:50 AM
ha, ha

... gas snake.

and BTW, snake eater looks much better than TTS.

GodOfCookery
03-02-2004, 04:03 AM
And to destroy that freaking mario-fan's illusion the c stands for center and not for cube, so the source is metal gear center!

Mav3r1ck
03-02-2004, 04:50 AM
Wow, I'm actually surprised to see people making mistakes like that. You would think people would be use to seeing watermarks on images by now. Honestly, I can't really say much about the visuals of the game until I see it in person. What can I say, I just don't trust online footage/screens as much anymore. Especially since games look so much better when you look at them on a TV.