PDA

View Full Version : Just some random thinking

Black Ace
07-20-2002, 08:48 PM
Have you ever sit to think about where your life is heading, what you're going to do 10 years down the road, and things like that? I think of them all the time, usally when I'm in bed -- and it would keep me awake for a hours, sometime the whole night. Other times is while I'm reading, especially if I read some real life biography of a person's life. I picture myself in other's shoes, see how they live their life and so on.

There is a few things I'd like to be, mainly a teacher or a editor at some local newspaper. I'm really committed to teaching and sharing my experiences, and being a teacher, I can do that. My family has been involved in the education department for a good half of a century, my grandfather was a teacher and a few of my aunts and uncle's are as well, my parents are teachers themselves. I asked them how they do it, they said you have to work on your tolarance level. You have to deal with people because they'll be behind your back if you goof up. My father deal with it throughout his career, especially when he teaches at a high school. He is teaching at a community college now. I'm sure I'll be able work my way up there too, but I think I will start teaching first at a high school level or possibly middle school, then see how things goes from there.

If somehow I got distracted from a teaching career, I think I'll possibly end up being a journalist or anything that deals with writing and literature.

So thats my plans, what are yours? Most of you I think will say you want to be some sort of programmer in the gaming biz, which I found to be true at a lot of game forums.

Overlord
07-20-2002, 09:18 PM
Bill:
So thats my plans, what are yours? Most of you I think will say you want to be some sort of programmer in the gaming biz, which I found to be true at a lot of game forums.

Thats exactly what I was going to say. But I still have long road ahead of me. I still have 3 more years of high school, so I have a lot of time think about it. I might go into animation and special effects. Thats what my sister is currently doing. She's a computer drafter or something right now. And is currently enrolled in a university for 6 years. It really does pay of in the end. I just need some dedication. My parents wern't really lucky as us. We moved here about 6 years ago. They only went as far to finish High School. But they have decent jobs. And we do have it better then some people.

I can't really say for certain that this will be what I'm doing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

hootie17
07-21-2002, 01:21 AM
well...
i would realistically liek to say i would liek to "grow up" and be a marine biologist, but i honestly think most people in any gaming forum, would liek to grow up and wrk in the gaming business, plus i think that at least a handfull of people who come to these forums would be good gaming disigners, but to me, it is not realistic. i would give anything to become a videogames desginer, but i truly think it is not to be, it just seems liek one of those things that are reserved for the best fo the best, (the japanese, no offense, but show me one american designer that can compare to any japanese one).

im to young to be this old...

Seska
07-21-2002, 10:58 PM
Life takes odd turns and twists. When I graduated from University, I landed a job with Square Europe, then continued with Sega. At the time I thought I'd end up probably in localization, which is what I was already doing anyhow, but I got fed up of the city I was living in after 6 years of living there, so I moved back to my home city further south where the sun always shines and the women are fine!

Now I work translating for the local government.

I probably belong to the disenchanted generation of people who have no real goal in life but to make the best out of each day. My advice is, set rough goals, but do not fixate yourself on them. Live each day as if it were your last and eventually you will stumble onto something good, and I can assure you that 9 out od 10 times, it will not be what you expected it to be.

Now on a totally different, yet slightly related subject...

As for non-japanese game designer gods... not many at all for consoles, but I can think of more than a few for the PC market. Peter Moulyneux, John Carmack, Warren Spector, hell even Lord British!

If you dont know the games behind those names.. you have been missing out on a hell of a lot of great games!

Vicviper
07-22-2002, 03:34 PM
I agree with Seska. Set rough goals. I am 30 years old now and I have been a Production Analyst for EDS for 4 years. While I would like this to be my career I am not counting on it. Working in Corporate America is hard. Corporate America is very fickle. I've worked for companies in the past, Metlife, where I thought I was going to be with them for a long time and started making long term goals with the company. Then all the sudden they have reductions because they are losing money and I end up getting my pink slip with atleast 30 other employees in my area alone. EDS is a good company to work for but just like every other corporation they tend to layoff when things start going bad. I have made it through 4 rounds of layoffs so far. The company keeps talking about career planning. I want to do it but I feel it might be a waste of time because I might be the next one out the door. If that happens than I will most likely go work for the government or work for the city of Denver. Working for the government is one of the most secure jobs around.

Black Ace
07-26-2002, 05:18 PM
Seska, thats really great to hear that you have been involved in the industry. Especially working at Sega and Square Soft.

There is a game development team at the corner of my street when I live in South Boston, the company is called Irrational Games. Just a block from me, but I never met any of the people from the company.

xXx Beaver xXx
07-31-2002, 05:00 AM
i wanna be a Hentai artist when im older. :big smile

mmmmmmmmmmmmm :p

right now, I am just a spectator!

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil