PDA

View Full Version : Flash the BIOS

SpaceManSpiff
02-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Explain it to me. What exactly does it do. How do you do it. etc.

Alucard
02-06-2004, 03:43 AM
Man, thats alot to explain.. First you watch your computer while its booting up and see what bios revision you have. It'll be in the top left corner. Then go to the website of your motherboard and check the bios updates for your specific board. Look at the descriptions and see if anything, AFTER the one you have, is anything useful. Like fixes problems. If it isn't then dont bother with it. But to be honest if you've never done it before, find someone who knows what they are doing, or chances are you will total your system.

discomfort wings
02-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Like Alucard said, it can fix bugs and incompatibility problems. Some update allows you to adjust to new bus/clock speed for compatibility of newer, faster CPUs.

SpaceManSpiff
02-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Well I got that far Alucard. I want to update my motherboard drivers but it says I have to flash the bios and that there is all this risk involved yada yada, get a pro to do it and stuff. Guess Ill find out if I really need to do it, I might but might not, not sure if its the problem or not. If I do then ill take it in and let the pros do it then.

Seska
02-06-2004, 09:47 PM
However there IS a risk involved, if something goes wrong, the bios doesnt write properly do to power outage or whatever, you will essentially screw up the bios and make your mobo unuseable. You just need to make sure that during the bios re-writing process your PC is stable so the flashing can be carried out without interruptions. Also, another common mistake peple overlook is to check if your mobo has to ahve specific jumper settings to allow for the flashing of bios - best to check your bios manual for the flashing process, it should describe every detail involved.

If you have all your bases checked and feel safe, flashing your bios is just a 2-min process where all you need is a floppy to boot your system with. so, technically, you dont need to be a uber PRO to flash your bios. You just need to educate yourself carefully on the process.

Oh, and stay away from win flashers. Those claim they can flash the bios from windows, but it isnt really 100% safe or recommendable.