PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 will need 80M for texture memory

Overlord
07-19-2002, 12:43 AM
"And for those of you that are wondering whether a 128MB card will be necessary, Doom3 will use at least 80MB of textures."

-Article. (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1656&p=24)

Your Thoughts?

hootie17
07-19-2002, 03:27 AM
Well...

Back in my day, the first video game that i remmember my dad purchaseing for me was the origional DOOM, i remmember playing it on what was then a really bad computer. what was good for that game at the time was that not everyone had the money to get the best computer, so the system requierments ( that i remmember ) were low, and now im prob not ganna be able to play it b/c of this system requirments.

so im pissed...

Overlord
07-19-2002, 05:43 AM
Doom III won't be out for a while. By then, 128MB cards will be a lot cheaper, affordable by the masses.

Pikachu
07-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Is that the minimum requirement? It seems to me they don't want to sell the game to people, that's why they set the requirements so high.

Same for FFXI, if Square doesn't lower the PC requirement, I doubt a lot of people will be playing the game.

Kid0_oIcarus
07-19-2002, 06:31 PM
128MB by then as standard or affordable, my foot- not with $400 dollar cards around now. 256MB DDR is currently a minimum high spec, and looks to stay that way for a while, even the NV30 will likely have it. 128 is so far mid range, with anything less than 64MB REALLY crying out to be put to rest...

I'm guessing 64MB will be the low end standard by the time Doom 3 is out.. so I'm hoping that 80MB for textures alone is with all the bells and whistles cranked up at the highest resolution possible. Because you and I know if they want to sell game, they're going to have to come down a bit for people who don't want to upgrade just for one game.

It might be good, but I doubt it's $199 for a new video card plus the cost of the game (guessing $60) good.

hootie17
07-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Pikachu
Is that the minimum requirement? It seems to me they don't want to sell the game to people, that's why they set the requirements so high.

Same for FFXI, if Square doesn't lower the PC requirement, I doubt a lot of people will be playing the game.

i don think it is that they don want people to play it, every company wants people to play there games, but now the games have become so sophisticated, that to play them u need the best possible comp, thats all, my comp sux, im gonna deal wit it.

Black Sugar
07-20-2002, 03:33 AM
We are talking about Doom 3 here, they know most of the harcore fan (such as my co-workers) will buy a new pc solery for that game.

I'm not into PC games, so it's kind of a relief for me.

Seska
07-21-2002, 12:22 AM
WEll, considering the technlogy Doom 3 will require to run anyway, you will need at least a GF3 or a AT Radeon 8500 to run it. So the point is pretty moot.

And while 128 may not be the standard at the moment doom3 comes out, the doom 3 engine will be the one to power a crapload of games for the coming 3 years, which is usually the time each FPS engine cycle lasts on the pc.

So if you are pissed, relax, there still a lot of Quake 3 Engine games coming out.

As for the argument that they don't want the games to sell... I rather like to think that they are promoting hardware sales. Kinda reminds me of Origin's games back then when Wing Commander (from WC 3 at least) always demanded the best PC and pissed tons of users off cause it was so avant-garde and resource hungry. Still sold by the bucketloads though.

batistuta2x
07-22-2002, 12:27 PM
:spin smil :sing:
i dont know why people are playing on pc's.
It's ****in bull**** to buy games for pc,because you need to buy new video card for each.
And its true.
yes the newest games are compatible on older graphic cards,but they will look like a games for SNES-so its real bull****.
And the programers like John Carmack are real suckers,theyre making games for most powerful hardware,while console developers can make almost the same thing for lots of powerless and cheaper hardware.Theyre (pc developers) even not trying to make their games compatible with cheaper hardware-they're just just saying,it has not enough power.
And one more thing about doom3,did they thinked about the things like gameplay,not just a graphics-what they're are always showing
And 30 fps with Geforce4 on doom3-it,s real bull****(with full grafhic details,but the game without those grafhic details will look like a Snes game ):P

Please try to watch your language. ~Overlord

aneep
07-22-2002, 11:20 PM
actually he said 30 fps on a GF3, not GF4

and he's developing the game using GF3/Xbox level graphics hw as the baseline, so IMO its a high probability that the game will come to the XBox soon after the PC release (to widen the market)

-aneep-

Seska
07-23-2002, 08:34 AM
Well, I guess thats the typical console-owner attitude for you.

I guess its best to buy ONE video card and let your games look the same for 5 years before buying a new one eh? I guess we would all still be playing Bomberjack if graphical engines evolved every five years, which is the average life of your average console. Also, the console world lately has more to owe to the PC gaming world than to the 16 bit relics like the SNES and Genesis.

Example.

Anti-Alias. PC users have been enjoying this simple feature for smooth, jaggy-less edges in graphical engines for AGES, and only recently have consoles like the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube implemented it.

The PC games market differs from the Console one in that each cycle of evolution lasts about 2-3 years in comparison to the console's 5 years. Last graphics card I had was a Geforce 2 GTS and I enjoyed the Half-Life/Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 engine cycles with that card for the past 2 years. Now a new cycle is about to begin with UT2k3 and Doom 3 so I got myself a Geforce 4.

As for your taking of Doom 3 Gameplay and not just graphics - do I sense a little jealousy? What do you expect? A Doom 3 RPG? What are these gameplay features they should think about, in a FPS of all things? You run around and shoot things. That is Doom. Doom 3 will be the same.

Look at it in the broader sense. iD software isnt about making a GAME. Its about making an Engine, which they license other companies to use. So to me the excitement about Doom 3 isnt that much about the game itself, but about the possibilities for games using that same engine. An RPG lke System Shock for example. Online-Based games like counterstrike.

Do any consoles support online gaming as well as the PC does? I think not. Here's hoping the Xbox brings some of the online gaming fun from Pcs to console owners, but otherwise you don't know what you are missing.

Dont get me wrong. I own a PC as well as a PSX, Saturn, DC and PS2. To me its about the games, not the machines. Some games are better on consoles, and some on PCs. To call either system "bullshit" is to put a blinder over your eyes and deny yourself of the fun from a LOT of games.

Alucard
07-23-2002, 10:28 AM
Basically what Seska said. But also the PC gaming scene has gotten alot of flack fmo people who JUST buy consoles, saying their games look crappy compared to PS2 and such. Thats because up till recently every game thats made is also made to work on old cards. They want all the market to still play these games because theres some people who think they are smart in keepig a simple TNT2 card, which can 'run' a game at minimul features and get away with it. Therefore cause they haven't spent any money on their PC in the last 5 years, they complain that its expensive to upgrade. While the person who upgrades at a normal rate wont be complaining as much.

Well now alot of developers are syaing STUFF the people who want to stick with cards that have 4mb memory, we need to move forward otherwise gaming will be ugly forever. Why do you buy a PS2? Because it looks better then PS2? It shouldn't matter. Games are still coming out for PSX. Why not keep it? Ah...same argument should be for PCs. Only PCs you get more freedom and variety.

PC will always be no1 when it comes to graphics. Thats another reason its my prefered system. Though I own another 5 consoles aswell which I play. Limiting yourself to one form of game scene is stupid.

Kid0_oIcarus
07-23-2002, 01:36 PM
Um.. Yes.

Warcraft III is fun and doesn't look anything at all crappy.

Long live the PC!

b0b
07-27-2002, 06:23 PM
My question is, is this figure of 80Mbs of textures already compressed, becuase if not DXTC offers an 8:1 ratio dropping the required 80 to a simple 10mb which means if the 80 mb is not already compressed then Xbox should be able to handle doom 3.

Kid0_oIcarus
07-29-2002, 08:50 AM
Isn't it eventually coming out for Xbox? Now, I'm sure the Xbox can 'handle' Doom3.. if you mean with all of Doom3's supposed features and whizbangs turned on.. well then I dunno, 'cause I dunno what any of those are yet. We'll see when and if it comes out?

aneep
07-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Our "full impact" platform from the beginning has been targeted at GF3/Xbox level hardware. Slower hardware can disable features, and faster hardware gets higher frame rates and rendering quality. Even at this target, designers need to be more cognizant of performance than they were with Q3, and we expect some licensee to take an even more aggressive performance stance for games shipping in following years.

quote from JC
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=33453&cid=3619372

yes full featured, yes on the Xbox
though all the new card coming soon on the PC(ATI 9700, NV30) most probably will run the game faster (fps) than on the Xbox can

cheers

-aneep-

Kid0_oIcarus
07-29-2002, 03:04 PM
Wow, is there anything the Xbox cannot do!? How can it fail!? :rolleyes:

Ah.. so that answers the questions.. Doom 3 is being developed with Xbox level hardware in mind.

aneep
07-29-2002, 03:14 PM
it can fail if ppl are only buying the console and not the games for it

MS loses money on consoles it make, but get money from every games sold (though i hear MS license fees is the lowest among all three)

hehe

in short, Xbox can't stand on being the most powerfull console alone as a selling point, it need games to show for it

its all about the games

-aneep-

xXx Beaver xXx
07-31-2002, 07:01 AM
my pc wont handle it, too much hentai.

Ill use my mum's pc, its hentai free, and has an excellent video card for pr0n streaming.

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil