PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 2 high res textures/Models

Alucard
01-14-2004, 03:33 AM
For those of you who actually bothered to get this ripped down sequel thats a blatant console fps, the PC modding community have gone a step and added some high res textures and stuff for this sad looking game. As one guy on the Ion Storm forum said--

wow. Awesome job. I must say the before and after pics are frightening. You have put IS to absolute shame, and thats down right disturbing. Considering IS are supposed 'pros' with everything needed at thier fingers. While Amatuer modders with a few hours to kill, and hacked together piss poor tools can make the original work look like it was thrown together by a blind retarded 3 year old (Hey maybe that's IS secrect..). Keep up the excellent work all.

Which is fairly acurate. Bunch of morons at Ion Storm/Eidos for screwing this game. Heres some pics of the differences and the link to the board where you can find the textures pack. Would recommend you read through all the pages cause they update stuff and give some instructions here and there. Dont just slap the pack on.

http://www.uberdata.net/dxiw/koif/DXbefore1.jpg

http://www.uberdata.net/dxiw/koif/DXafter1.jpg

http://www.uberdata.net/dxiw/koif/DXbefore2.jpg

http://www.uberdata.net/dxiw/koif/DXafter2.jpg

From what they say they are still adding/changing stuff as they go. Thumbs up for the PC community. Lets see the console userbase get this involved/large, YOU FUCKING MORONS EIDOS/ION STORM! Piss me off.

http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=207905

Icarus4578
01-14-2004, 05:05 AM
Those first screenshots look like they were taken from an N64 game! Yes! The future is here, courtesy of Storm/Eidos!!! WHO LOVES YOU?? :D

vengefulsong
01-17-2004, 08:29 PM
I know the PC version has problems and there are some gameplay changes I didn't enjoy such as the lack of skills and more level loads, game length. However, I have been playing the Xbox version for the last week and it sure feels like the Deus Ex universe to me. It is certainly not perfect and some odd decisions were made but some of the bashing this game is getting is boggling my mind. This game is definately not just a "shooter"

Alucard
01-18-2004, 02:13 AM
They turned it more into a shooter then the first game was. And you've confused me on this lack of skills thing.. The XBox and PC version are identical. Load times might be longer depending on the PC you're using. But you need to remember its a console game PORTED to PC.

discomfort wings
01-18-2004, 03:05 PM
They basically abandon and raped the PC version. What a let down.....Can anyone say Daikatana2?

Seska
01-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Considering its low sales and the amount of flak the game has gotten from the hardcore fans (you know, the ones that made Ion Storm a sucess after the disaster that was Daikatana, and the ones Ion Stom have buggered up the ass with this pathetic excuse of a sequel) I'm certain Ion Storm will be re-thinking how Deus Ex 3 (supposedly in development) is going to be designed.

I'm sure they expected DX2 to be an instant hit.

Sorry guys, you bite the hand that feeds you, and that hand will bitch-slap you. Repeatedly.

vengefulsong
01-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
They turned it more into a shooter then the first game was. And you've confused me on this lack of skills thing.. The XBox and PC version are identical. Load times might be longer depending on the PC you're using. But you need to remember its a console game PORTED to PC.

With lack of skills I am talking about not getting experience points like in Deus Ex, to then allocate to the different skills(lock picking, computer use, weapons) Now you just have some of those skills or they are incorporated into the biomods.

Also, you have to load areas alot more than in the PC version of the original (PS2 version had alot of load screen, but that isn't surprising) I would presume the lighting, physics and texture mapping forced them to make smaller levels. I could do without the advanced lighting effects if it would allow larger levels.

I totally agree Ion Storm and Eidos messed up the PC version. I don't like some of stuff happening with console to PC versions. My first love in gaming was and probably always will be PC specific games. However, I feel some elements of the game are being treated like a demon spawned plague on the earth.

Alucard
01-18-2004, 09:18 PM
I dont think its the added effects and graphics that have made the maps smaller. Rather the limitation of console memory that made them make the maps smaller. The PS2 remake of DX needed to have the maps cut some.

discomfort wings
01-20-2004, 03:11 AM
Ion Storm should be ashamed. I doubt they are going anywhere far with that type of mentality. Thats right seska, bitch-slap them and i'll raise you some whipping.

Havoc2049
01-21-2004, 01:12 PM
It's just Ion Storm being lazy, it's not the fault of the Xbox. The Xbox can support high res with HDTV resolutions. Halo, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Star Wars: KOTOR and many other games all support 480p and look almost as good as the PC versions at high resolutions. If Ion Storm would have just supported 480p with the XB version and then done a strait port to the PC, DX2 would look much better. Ion Storm just didn't take the time, so the game runs at whatever the max resolution that regular TV can support.

Alucard
01-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Welll thats the thing, not everyone owns a HDTV. They're making a game for the general public. Same way why developers dont go all out and make games specifically for the most powerful video card on the market. If they did then the Xbox, even with HDTV, would explode trying to play one of them. No jab at the console, but its just a different area altogether. But still they could easily have made better models that the xbox could have supported just fine. They're lazy retards.

Dead Account 01
01-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Ion Storm was stupid, plain and simple. They're not THAT big of a company and multiplatforming a game like this is suicide (not that, even in the best of circumstances, multiplatforming is good).

Of course the other half is that they were dumb enough to try and do the whole "best of both worlds" things. :crazy:

I wish the Xbox would just disappear. It promotes a high level of greed and idiocy in even the best of companies.