PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this is a good reason to hate Square-Enix?!

ATMA
01-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Ya'll can answer that comment after reading this.

According to RPGfan (http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2004/1030.html) :

Square Enix Abandons Chrono Break Trademark in the US

Square Enix has abandoned its trademark Chrono Break with the US Patent and Trademark Office. However, the status of the trademark Chrono Brake, which has been registered by the company at the Japan Patent Office remains unchanged.

The two differently worded trademarks have resulted in a lot of speculation and hope among many fans for a third installment of what is arguably one of Square Enix's most popular RPG series. After the completion of Final Fantasy XI, scenario writer and Chrono series mastermind Masato Katou quit the company to become a freelance writer, most recently lending his talents to MonolithSoft and Namco's Baten Kaitos.

Now it's not the end of the world yet, but IF there was ever Chrono Break in developing it will take a freaking long time to get to the US. But this can be seen as CB isnt in developing yet.

Any thoughts ?

ps: I'm just a messenger! So please no need to throw grenades at me. :sweat: http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/013.gif

Drunken Savior
01-10-2004, 07:12 AM
(Just sighs, opens the bottle of Jagermeister and drinks)

Nindalf
01-10-2004, 07:32 AM
So wait.... I need a reason to to hate them? hmmm....

ATMA
01-10-2004, 07:53 AM
I said this could be a GOOD reason. My little mutated turnip.

You need a good reason to hate something.

Nindalf
01-10-2004, 08:00 AM
I need no such thing!

Magnus
01-10-2004, 09:56 AM
grrrr...:too mad: at SquareEnix...

Seska
01-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Eh, I wasnt too pleased with Chrono Cross, so... what gives? :D

Zod
01-10-2004, 10:07 AM
That SUCKS! Damn you, Square-Enix!!!

Alucard
01-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Teach you all a lesson for all the copies of FFX-2 that were bought! You fund their crap, they stop making good stuff! Go grab Baten Kaitos instead.

Zod
01-10-2004, 10:57 AM
That's probably true. Since they're now applying the multi-outcome aspect to FF games, they probably felt there is no reason to keep the Crono series around any more.

There was once a point in which there was nothing that they cold to hurt themselves or the fandom. Now it seems like it's just about everything they do.

Escaflowne2001
01-10-2004, 05:01 PM
As Seska said Chrono Cross sucked don't really want or need another...

Sinful Sam
01-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Not to mention they delayed the US version of Star Ocean 3 till June 8th.:thumbdn:

Dead Account 01
01-10-2004, 07:09 PM
S-E isn't my favorite company. That said, if SO3, KH2, FM4, Drakengard, FFXII turn out awesome (and get released here w/ all the goodies) they will be redeamed. If we get proper FFT and TO/OB sequels I will love them again and if they add in a VS sequel they are gaming gods :D

Alucard
01-10-2004, 11:41 PM
You're kidding me. Now its June? WTF?! Game I've been dying for since they first gave news out for it and we're STILL Waiting? Bloody useless pair both of them. They belong together.

Vegetto
01-10-2004, 11:52 PM
my chrono dammit!!!!!!!!!!!

Investor27
01-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Decado
S-E isn't my favorite company. That said, if SO3, KH2, FM4, Drakengard, FFXII turn out awesome (and get released here w/ all the goodies) they will be redeamed. If we get proper FFT and TO/OB sequels I will love them again and if they add in a VS sequel they are gaming gods :D

Here, here! I just finished FM4 and it was awesome. I think one of the reasons why a FFT sequel has not been made is because Square Enix knows that it will be very difficult to make a better sequel. At any rate, I hope they will try.

I didn't like Chrono Cross either. I couldn't play through Kingdom Hearts, because I kept getting dizzy. I stopped playing a while ago after the Tarzan Kingdom chapter. But I am looking forward to Star Ocean 3. Star Ocean 2 was one of my favorite games of all times. SQuare Enix delayed it until June to promote their upcoming Final Fantasy Crystal game for the Nintendo Gamecube. I don't know why they can't release both games since they are on different systems, but I suspect Nintendo has a hand in this somehow. But all will be forgotten if Square Enix can release the Director's Cut instead to make up for the delay.

ATMA
01-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Juste
Not to mention they delayed the US version of Star Ocean 3 till June 8th.:thumbdn:

Well delay or not I think it was stated to be released Q4 2004 but seeing June, I gues it's okay (Plus i'll have more time to play ToS, and FF CC and MGS TS) . However I hope that we get SO 3 director's cut right away. Would suck arse if 6 months later they announce Director's cut for the western market. I will punch any asian guy .......really hard....yep ..i'm serious.... :too mad:

The Steved!
01-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
Teach you all a lesson for all the copies of FFX-2 that were bought! You fund their crap, they stop making good stuff! Go grab Baten Kaitos instead.

Thank you!b I've been saying that for years! people feel oblige to by their games for some unknown reason...and in the end their making more crap!

camac
01-11-2004, 06:39 PM

WHat!? :crazy: why? :too mad: This is insane, Japan will have 3 Directors Cut, International version, and an extra Super Terrific Happy Edition before we even get the damned original. x_x ;

Escaflowne2001
01-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Hopefully they'll bring over the director's cut to EU at least.

Sinful Sam
01-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by ATMA
Well delay or not I think it was stated to be released Q4 2004 but seeing June, I gues it's okay (Plus i'll have more time to play ToS, and FF CC and MGS TS) . However I hope that we get SO 3 director's cut right away. Would suck arse if 6 months later they announce Director's cut for the western market. I will punch any asian guy .......really hard....yep ..i'm serious.... :too mad:
Yeah I was thinking the same maybe they want to release the extras included because of the wait. I can't wait for TOS though the relase date for that game is July first. But If you do puch an Asian man make sure you record it for me.:P
Originally posted by camac
This is insane, Japan will have 3 Directors Cut, International version, and an extra Super Terrific Happy Edition before we even get the damned original. x_x ;
:haha:

Dead Account 01
01-12-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by alexhho
I think one of the reasons why a FFT sequel has not been made is because Square Enix knows that it will be very difficult to make a better sequel. At any rate, I hope they will try. Perhaps...though I think the main reason is that the team who would otherwise be making it is focused on FFXII. I bet we'd have (or would soon have) FFT2 if S-E didn't have to put so much into FFXI :angry:

We still may get it as S-E's last "major" release of the generation (design could have started on it a while ago and the FFXII team could work on it).

I didn't like Chrono Cross either. I couldn't play through Kingdom Hearts, because I kept getting dizzy. CC was just painfully easy. Didn't like it at all, really (though the magic system seemed kinda cool). I own KH, but I haven't gotten more than an hour or two into it...too many games to play.

SQuare Enix delayed it until June to promote their upcoming Final Fantasy Crystal game for the Nintendo Gamecube. I don't know why they can't release both games since they are on different systems, but I suspect Nintendo has a hand in this somehow. While games often compete accross all platforms (particularly when the PS2 is involved), that doesn't make much sense. How would a multiplayer A-RPG effect a hardcore RPG (unless it was released on the same day...a four month gap isn't required to insulate against the shock of FF:CC release :rolleyes: )?

Getting the Directors Cut stuff is all I can think of...we better get it :irked:

But all will be forgotten if Square Enix can release the Director's Cut instead to make up for the delay. AND the game turns out to be really high quality. Yes it would (no matter that it could look pretty out-dated)...as well as all those other games I mentioned.

GodOfCookery
01-12-2004, 04:34 AM
SO3 JUNE?????????????????????? WHAT????????????????
Do you have any proofs? And no Chrono well it was to be expected, Square has long lost its touch. I guess the best people have left the company long time ago.

Zod
01-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by ATMA

I agree 100%, but still expect S-E to leave out the DC features from the NA region. They've done it so much that they probably don't know how to give the US the extras. It is the least they could do to make up for these horribly inexcusable delays, but I doubt they'll be that considerate, will release he basic version, then use a slick marketing campaign to convince us it's great and still worth it in spite of all the BS.

Has anyone played the Japanese version? I still want to know if it hasthe multi-endings and multi-story paths like SO2 does? SO3 does look linear from what I've seen so far, and if it doesn't hold up against SO2, then director's cut or not I'll avoid it.

Escaflowne2001
01-12-2004, 08:54 AM
bah, I never did finish it but the original Star Ocean I enjoyed much more then SO2 hopefully it'll be more like the original.

ATMA
01-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Zod
Has anyone played the Japanese version? I still want to know if it hasthe multi-endings and multi-story paths like SO2 does? SO3 does look linear from what I've seen so far, and if it doesn't hold up against SO2, then director's cut or not I'll avoid it.

I think you have to knock on dog$ door on that one, and he allready hinted that it isn't like all that. So lets all be carefull for what we'll buy and not expect the best game ever.

Also I don't think FF:CC had anything to do with this. I think it is Enix slow translation method wich started on SO 3 and after a time had to stop because Square was taking over on the publishing outside of Japan and also more time and resources was going to the Director's cut version. But seriously guys I don't think June is a bad date at all simply because I do remember that the US release date was slated for somewhere in the 4Q of 2004. And also we all know how dry the western console market can be in the summer period. So I think there is a good in a bad situation anyways. Hmm? :D

Zod
01-12-2004, 12:28 PM
You don't think June 2004 is a bad date? It was originally due Christmas 2002! June sucks, and is asking more patience from people who've already given enough.

The problem with games is that if you delay them too long, they'll get old before they're finally "new." A more extreme example is Final Fantasy 3; if they were to release it right now, it would be brand new to the US market since it's never been released here before. Would it LOOK like a new game? Not by a long shot. It's more subtle with games that are only held back another year or two, but it is noticable. If they hold back SO3 too long, it simply won't be worth $50 as an old game being sold as a belated new game. Just look at the GTA double-pack out on the X-Box for the first time. Why didn't they sell the two GTA games on X-Box for $50 EACH like they did with the PS2 version? They even did enhancements over the PS2 versions to make them better, but both still only costed $50 together. One is only one year old, and the other is only two years old at the point of release for the double-pack. The same goes for SO3 and any other game delayed for too long.

That's just my take though. I don't pay full price for games held back too long because they're not worth it to me for games that technically aren't new any more. If a developer wants to take it's sweet-ass time releasing a game here, I'll take my sweet-ass time buying it and wait for the bargain bins and clearance sales, or I won't buy it at all.

ATMA
01-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Zod
You don't think June 2004 is a bad date? It was originally due Christmas 2002! June sucks, and is asking more patience from people who've already given enough.

The problem with games is that if you delay them too long, they'll get old before they're finally "new." A more extreme example is Final Fantasy 3; if they were to release it right now, it would be brand new to the US market since it's never been released here before. Would it LOOK like a new game? Not by a long shot. It's more subtle with games that are only held back another year or two, but it is noticable. If they hold back SO3 too long, it simply won't be worth $50 as an old game being sold as a belated new game. Just look at the GTA double-pack out on the X-Box for the first time. Why didn't they sell the two GTA games on X-Box for $50 EACH like they did with the PS2 version? They even did enhancements over the PS2 versions to make them better, but both still only costed $50 together. One is only one year old, and the other is only two years old at the point of release for the double-pack. The same goes for SO3 and any other game delayed for too long.

That's just my take though. I don't pay full price for games held back too long because they're not worth it to me for games that technically aren't new any more. If a developer wants to take it's sweet-ass time releasing a game here, I'll take my sweet-ass time buying it and wait for the bargain bins and clearance sales, or I won't buy it at all.

Christmas 2002 would have been bad as Japan has yet to recieve the Director's cut and thus we would be 100% without it!Now there is atleast a better chance of we getting the Director's Cut right away. Even thought to tell you the truth I doubt it cause seeing that Square took some things over, they might have said lets releas the normal version and later on announce the better version as a cash in kinda like FFX- FFX INT, KH- KH Final Mix, FFX-2, FFX- 2 Final Mission ect..

About the GTA double pack as an excample. Keep in mind the games were allready made and sold like crazy,also no translation needed. All they needed to do was port it over for the Xbox and having the version on the ps2 allready. I say this wasn't a way to introduce a game that was never released to the public but more a way to increase the fanbase in the cheapest way and win even more money as they didn't have to spend money on translation, built a new game ect ect ect. Now SO 3 is a different story as it didn't sold what Enix had in mind and also it was in one market and is yet needed to be introduced in another market.Also keep in mind before Enix merged with Square,Enix was very very slow when it comes to translations ouside of Japan. Huge difference between these two games and also not a good excample to use GTA double pack as an excample as cheaper price, delays, not being $50 worth ect ect ect.

And it's all fine with me if you don't like to pay $50 for a game that is "technicaly" old. Just remember games used to be $60 and also some even older games are much much more expensive to collect and are much much more worthed (but that's from a collector's point of view) Also remember nobody WILL force you to buy it either. I'm happy that the game IS comming out anyways. It could have been one of those that stayed in Japan forever. (ie Venus & Brave, ToD 2, Tales series on the GBA.)

Zod
01-12-2004, 01:15 PM
As far as Square's localization times go, they're a joke. Nintendo, Konami, and Capcom regularly get games out to the US in a month or two of their Japanese releases. The problem is that some developers begin localization of international versions while a game is still under production, and others won't touch a game until after it's been released in a region, sells for a while, and can give them an approximation of how much money they can make elsewhere. Square-Enix falls in the latter category. We can blame the marketing departments of various developers for that nuissance.

Nintendo and Konami have the better localization method by far, and as the case with MGS Substance, if they do release an expanded version they'll just release that here too. Square really needs to quit using out-dated localizing methods and start using methods that do get games out quickly. They won't though. For some reason, they seem to like releasing games late and just in time to not get any of the extras in the US since they've made such a habit of it.

You're right that no one's forcing me to buy anything. S-E games getting more and more mediocre and with extra content with-held from US versions either taking just long enough to barely miss the extras or flat-out being delayed and still missing the extras, is it really worth it to buy more of their stuff? The Japanese version of SO 3 at wasn't rated as one of the best RPG's ever......

ATMA
01-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Yeah I know, S-E methods isn't the best. But we all know that it's all about money and not our desires. Companies don't care what we want out of Japan. While we can see or pretend there is a market for certain games, but they have to deal with some other stuff behind curtains that we don't know about. For instance culture difference, nudity, some real life subjects in the story. While in Japan these things are normal but in the US they are not, something that some certain party don't want to see out there on a media. This is one of the reason that they should keep in mind (not that this IS the reason that alot of games don't get released outside of Japan) all i'm trying to say is there are more reasons that need to be accounted for before releasing a game in a different market or a specific market. If a company can make small profit they will be happy with it, then risking losing money. Take a look at that game Square made about 2d vs 3d ..We'll jump up and down for a game like that cause our desire tells us we want a freaky unique game..but we are in the minority here, the majority wich Square wants won't be even interesed in the game cause it looks weird. Also the game have so much culture difference and language barriers ect ect that it's not even funny anymore if they manage to translate it. Seska can give you an excample or a reason why Venus and Braves didn't get a translation. The guys that sit there are not stupid, the first thing they have in mind is will this game sell in a market and will it be enoug to get back all what we have invested in making the game appealing for that specific market?! How many time did we see an unique looking game bumb at the retailers and a unique looking game from Japan will costs the Japanese company much more than an unique looking US/UK or western game will cost the western company if they manage to bumb simply because they failed to catch the attention of the mass. It's not so easy for everyone to just say this game will be released outside of Japan. Just remember even GTA that sold like crazy wasn't even planned to be released in Japan. For some reason Capcom decided to take a risk wich kinda worked okay for them. And Square learns from their mistakes, just remember twice allready they were in big problems. If it wasn't for FF 1 Square was gone. FF Movie wich was a big risk costs them alot. So companies do take risk only nowadays they don't as the market is one fucked up place in a fucked up period to be taken risks as game developing is much more expensive nowadays and it will get even more expensive..wich will lead to companies taking even less risks and thus chances are big that even more games will stay in only a specific market.

I'm in a market where there's barely a great RPG out. Ask Escaflown and he'll tell you about RPGs in Europe. I'm lucky that I can import games and play them all. I've allready played Xenosaga and Suikoden III. Two RPGs that haven't seen Europe retailers yet. See how hard they have it? Now compare your market with their market..wich one will you choose? Some people have it worst than you, I seen it and I know it, hence i'm so easy going on this subject cause I know i'll be playing SO 3 eventually in english and no need to import it (wich will cost me even more than $50)

So I would say companies have much more things to deal with it than what we have to deal with in the same way certain markets have to deal with certain situation that is out of their influence. like Language barrier, culture difference. Maybe you need to share that point of view for a while and check things out and remember that you'll play a certain game eventually. ;)

Escaflowne2001
01-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Yep, UK/EU have it bad when it comes to RPG's...EU even worse then the UK. I put them seprately as sometimes incases like Front Mission 3, Arc The Lad 4, FF Origins there only released in the UK.

We wait about 4/5 months after the NA release usually if we're lucky but it's not unusual for us to wait a whole year after the NA release for the PAL release. Cases like .hack there even worse.

Though according to gamepress.com Suikoden IV has been confirmed for a EU release so it'll be strange if Suikoden III isn't released here at some point in the future.

Magnus
01-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Unless Suikoden 3 comes only to English speaking countries like Australia, New Zealand and the UK dont hold your breath for it. Konami have said that the way the text is stored makes it impossible to translate to other languages.

Sinful Sam
01-13-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by GodOfCookery
SO3 JUNE?????????????????????? WHAT????????????????
Do you have any proofs?
BANG!http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/224401.asp

And here's some evidence of the US release date from magicbox.com
2.03 R-Type Final STG Eidos
AirForce Delta Strike FLG Konami
Drift Racer: Kaido Battle RAC Sammy
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time RPG Square Enix
Which reminds me that R-type Final is coming out soon.:D

GodOfCookery
01-13-2004, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Zod

Yep I fully agree on that, besides I'm dry on RPGs right now, finished Disgaea two times already. SH2, Suikoiden IV and Xenosaga 2 are ages away.

Escaflowne2001
01-13-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Magnus
Unless Suikoden 3 comes only to English speaking countries like Australia, New Zealand and the UK dont hold your breath for it. Konami have said that the way the text is stored makes it impossible to translate to other languages.

I often wondered why they didn't do that in the first place. :sweat:

Magnus
01-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Why didnt they release it only in the English speaking countries?

Because our stupid countries dont have a strong preference for RPG's that arent called Final Fantasy and therefore Konami probably thought what was the point when sales would be low.

Escaflowne2001
01-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Never stopped Square releasing Front Mission 3 and there other GAME exculsive ones was it Vagrant Story (can't remember maybe another)

Or SCEE with Arc: Twilight Of The Spirits. I mean it cant' take that much to change over to PAL. Even now they've got plans to release Suikoden IV just doesn't make much sense to me that's all.

Seska
01-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Magnus
Konami have said that the way the text is stored makes it impossible to translate to other languages.

Nah, that was a rumor that at the time was denied by a Konami rep who said that the reason it wasnt released in Europe was because the costs involving translating the game into about 5 languages was simply not worth it considering the expected sales that they had for it.

Thats the problem with a continent as culturally diverse as Europe. :p

Magnus
01-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Ahhh ok. I never heard anything else about that so I always assumed that was the reason. Guess I know better now :)

Dead Account 01
01-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Which reminds me that R-type Final is coming out soon.:D And Drift Racer was canned :(