PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy for Xbox?

typexig
04-19-2002, 12:49 PM
if ever M$ gets the chance to have a Final Fantasy game for Xbox, will you buy it? and do you think that this will make gamers buy an Xbox?

Bishamon
04-19-2002, 12:54 PM
I'm not really into the Final Fantasy series, so I wouldn't buy it, but I'm sure a lot of gamers would.

Phie
04-19-2002, 01:00 PM
If there's a game possible of attracting gamers to one specific console, I think that the FF-series might be the one that might get the job done.
Personally, I'm a bit held back when it comes to the Box. It's a bit too expensive for a mere student like moi , so I dunno. But if a FF-game were to be announced to the Box, I might be persuaded to get one!

Black Ace
04-19-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by typexig
if ever M$ gets the chance to have a Final Fantasy game for Xbox, will you buy it? and do you think that this will make gamers buy an Xbox?

If gamers wanted to play Final Fantasy they would get a Playstation 2. And to answer your second question regarding if they will buy an Xbox just to play it, maybe, if the game is an exclusive title to the Xbox.

grahf
04-20-2002, 04:29 PM
Why would Square want to release it's flagship fanchise to a system who's user base can barely reach the number of a single FF sales figure? It doesn't make any sense, so there's no point in debating about the possibility. End of discussion.

k2tricky81
04-20-2002, 06:39 PM
Sony owns most of Square, so i don't really think that they will ever make a game for XBox.

However i am happy that Square and Nintendo are back together, i think the next title for Nintendo by Square is going to be Final Fantasy IV on GBA.

:D

Black Ace
04-20-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by k2tricky81
Sony owns most of Square, so i don't really think that they will ever make a game for XBox.

However i am happy that Square and Nintendo are back together, i think the next title for Nintendo by Square is going to be Final Fantasy IV on GBA.

:D

Sony certainly does not own majority of Square stake, they only got about 20% share of the company.

Overlord
04-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Sony only owns 19% of them, but they're still the second largest shareholders. Next to square themselve. But since Square is a big company, 19% is a lot.

...And Square won't do anything to make Sony mad. Because Sony can always sell the stocks and make Square bankrupt again.

And Square is also getting a lot of money from Disney, for Kingdom Hearts.

Alucard
04-23-2002, 11:13 AM
Square not doing anything to make Sony angry? I think you'll find they already did.

When they announced that they would support Nintendos GBA and GC and also release FF titles on both systems, the rpesident of Sony, Ken Kutaragi I think is his name... was out of Japan on business. When he return he SUMMONED the two head Square guys, whos names allude me at the moment, to come excplain their actions. Ken was described as being Not Very Pleased at all. The article was on a few sites. Was amusing to say the least.

Overlord
04-23-2002, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I know about sony's president being overseas at the time. But they weren't mad that they were devloping for GBA. only GC. And there hasn't been any final confirmation on the whole FF for GC yet. FFU is just a myth. And since its being made by a Square affiliate, and not Square themselves. It's a different type of FF. And since the director(if there is a game) is the same director for the saga games. The gameplay would be hautingly like the Saga games.

...So far only Secret of Mana has been announced for GC.

Sony doesn't mind if Square devs for GBA, since its a cashcow. Plus it's would be really easy to just port old games like FF1-6, FFT and Chrono Trigger. And when Square gets richer, so does Sony.

Black Ace
04-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Overlord
Yeah, I know about sony's president being overseas at the time. But they weren't mad that they were devloping for GBA. only GC. And there hasn't been any final confirmation on the whole FF for GC yet. FFU is just a myth. And since its being made by a Square affiliate, and not Square themselves. It's a different type of FF. And since the director(if there is a game) is the same director for the saga games. The gameplay would be hautingly like the Saga games.

...So far only Secret of Mana has been announced for GC.

Sony doesn't mind if Square devs for GBA, since its a cashcow. Plus it's would be really easy to just port old games like FF1-6, FFT and Chrono Trigger. And when Square gets richer, so does Sony.

Where did you hear that Secret of Mana has been announced for GameCube? I don't remember ever reading that anywhere. Square has announced FF for the GameCube, the game will be sychonize with the GBA version.

Overlord
04-23-2002, 09:50 PM
Heres the interview that Square had with Dengenki GameCube. This is after they talked with Sony.

Dengenki GameCube: You've announced plans to develop for Nintendo's platforms by establishing a subsidiary company dubbed 'Game Developers Studio' (GDS). Is that company operational yet?

Square: No, it won't begin physical operations till next month. GDS will be introduced as part of our fiscal budget next year (April 2002 through 2003).

DGC: Can you tell us what other Square representatives will be affiliated with GDS?

Square: At the moment, the company is represented by Akitoshi Kawazu. As his development plans emerge, teams from inside Square will be recruited.

DGC: GDS will be partially funded by Nintendo's ?Fund Q,? which was established to help small developers create titles for Nintendo's platforms. Will Nintendo strictly fund titles in development for GameBoy Advance?

Square: There are some development conditions, however we're looking into possible connectivity between the GameBoy Advance and GameCube.

DGC: Do you have plans to bring over any of your popular RPG series to Nintendo's consoles?

Square: That's undecided at this point. Development hasn't physically begun yet, so all software plans are up to director Akitoshi Kawazu. We've seen Final Fantasy named in several reports as a likely software candidate. As you know, one of the main reasons why the series has been so successful is because of its ability to change. So we'd like players to think of Final Fantasy in terms of its overall symbolism. We could decide to release action games or RPGs, but it's undecided whether they'll carry the Final Fantasy title.

DGC: There have been reports suggesting several GameBoy Advance titles are being planned including Final Fantasy Tactics, can you comment on that?

Square: Definitive game development plans for haven't been decided yet. We're aware of reports naming specific projects, but they've all come from people outside the company. Our development plans will be dictated by the players, albeit new titles or remakes. That being said, the request for Final Fantasy titles is very high.

DGC: Outside of any titles funded by Fund Q, does GDS have any GameCube titles in development?

Square: GDS is a company focused on GameBoy Advance development. We haven't decided to develop any GameCube related projects aside from those supported by Fund Q.

DGC: Reportedly, one of the conditions of financial support from Fund Q is that game development must be accomplished in a year. Can GDS meet that deadline?

Square: For titles covered under that program, yes. We plan to have about 3-4 titles ready by next year. We may have titles in development not supported by Fund Q as well, nothing concrete has been decided yet.

DGC: How did the Fund Q investment plan come about?

Square: Nintendo started an application process last December where ideas could be submitted for support. Ever since then we've been in contact with Nintendo regarding our plans.

DGC: Considering Square's relationship with Sony, did you consult them beforehand?

Square: We tried to take the best interests of our consumers in mind when making this decision. Secondly, we prepared a full presentation for Sony to explain our plans.

DGC: What's the possibility of Final Fantasy titles appearing on Nintendo's GameCube?

Square: There are currently no plans to supply any titles in the Final Fantasy series for GameCube. As I said, GDS will focus on GameBoy Advance development. Final Fantasy XI will be available for PlayStation 2 and PC, and will be online compatible. Final Fantasy XII is currently in development for the PlayStation 2. Beyond that, nothing has been decided yet

Hmmm... No Final Fantasy games on the Gamecube? Kind of a let down, isn't it?

I'll see if I can find a article on Secret Of Mana.

Shin Egg Robo X
04-23-2002, 11:17 PM
Well, since this is a fantasy question, I will treat it as such. If a FF game came out for Xbox, if it was good, I'd buy it...that is if I had an Xbox. I think gamers would go to it if it was going to be on Xbox full time instead of PS2. If its just lets say FFXII and FFXIII and FFXIV are all coming to PS2, then most people will probably ignore and Square will probably release FFXII Int'l for PS2 a year later or something.

Alucard
04-24-2002, 01:30 AM
The director did more things then just the Saga games. And the company is part of Square. Major part.
Heres the freaky thing. Recently it was announced, by multiple game sites, that Square was going to show info about an upcoming FF game fot the GC at E3 or soon. The nintendo website supposedly has a section for FF on GC now. So we might be seeing one after all.

chocotek
04-24-2002, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Overlord

...And Square won't do anything to make Sony mad. Because Sony can always sell the stocks and make Square bankrupt again.

how would sony selling there share of square make square bankrupt again? square already got the money from sony for selling them the stock, sony selling the stock would only mean someone else owns 19% of square, square wouldnt lose money if sony sold there shares...does nintendo give you your $200 back when you sell your gamecube on ebay?

aneep
05-04-2002, 04:01 PM
theorically Square is not likely to support Xbox anytime soon (for various reasons, though the Square person i chatted with dismissed Sony influence on his company as the one of them)

if Xbox succeed to achieve a bigger userbase in EU and JP, Square might think of supporting it
right now, no (even with MS offering them money)

-aneep-

Seska
05-06-2002, 04:42 AM
IT certainly seems unlikely that Square will support the Xbox with big titles such as the FF franchise. Look at the Dreamcast, it did better in Japan and EU than Xbox ever will, and Square never released a single title for it. As for Square saying thre are no ?current? plans for a FF game on GCN, that statement is about as believable as Capcom saying it won?t port over its RE remakes to other platforms in the future. :p All companies are the same, they will go where they will make the most profit, since that is what it is all about to them.

aneep
05-06-2002, 12:24 PM
hehe

about FF on GC
the official word 'there will be a link up game between GBA-GC
what's really happening at Square
'lets get to work on those SuperFamicom ports!'
and the contract (according to the same person), does not mean they have to make one GC game for one GBA port
in other words
it will be a long wait (for the GC game)
they(Square) are obligated to do at least one though, sooner or later

in a slightly positive news (for GC)
Seiken Densetsu sequel might be coming for it (instead of PS2, or Xbox)

-aneep-

Yai
05-21-2002, 05:37 AM
Although I doubt many RPG players really care about graphics, the FF games tend to push for better graphic and I think they'd take advantage of the Xbox. Anyway my answer is not only would I play it it'd be a driving reason to have an Xbox as Xbow is hurting for RPGs.

Bob.mcbob
06-04-2002, 09:13 PM
Why bother hoping, Final Fantasy now sucks GONADS... and strife.

Seska
06-05-2002, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Bob.mcbob
Why bother hoping, Final Fantasy now sucks GONADS... and strife.

Woo. I smell a troll, considering your other, only post.

If you don't like FF, at least give us a reason other than "It sucks gonads". Keep the namecalling and flame baiting for the shcool playground.

WINDJAMMERS
06-05-2002, 11:26 AM
I think Nintendo should put some of their "pokemon money" to good use and buy some shares of Square. At least enough to gain a small influence. And maybe some of Sega too.

Black Sugar
06-05-2002, 01:30 PM
I think I'll never buy a X-box even if a Final Fantasy was released on that console. personnal preference

The CG version of the unknown FF is currently in R&D right about now. They looking forward to link up the GBA and GC version togheter. (probrably like Golden Sun 2).

Seska
06-06-2002, 03:29 AM
As much as I dislike the Xbox, I do see myself buying it at some point or another in the future, possibly next year after another price drop. Why? Simply because a lot of good and exclusive games are headed its way, and as a gamer I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on them.

So.. bleah, Miscrosoft. Yeah, you got me. This time. :p