PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 in progress!

SecretAgentAiwa
07-09-2002, 04:13 AM
According to http://www.ntsc-uk.com, Hon Hai and Sony team up for Playstation 3

Taiwan electronic component maker Hon Hai Precision is teaming up with Sony to jointly develop next-generation video game consoles, a local newspaper said on Saturday.

The Chinese-language Economic Daily News quoted Hon Hai Chairman Terry Gou as saying Hon Hai, the island's largest private enterprise in terms of sales, has set up a PlayStation 3 research and development team with Sony.

Hon Hai is aiming to tap potential contract orders from Sony when the new game consoles hit the shelves several years from now, the paper said but gave no further details.

Hon Hai officials were not available for comment. The company produces electrical connectors and casings and assembles computers for multinational brand-names. It recently diversified into game console and mobile phone manufacturing.

On Friday, Hon Hai shares rose 5.22 per cent to close at T$141.00, outperforming a 2.43 per cent rise on the main TAIEX market.

Hon Hai said last month it would set up a major R&D centre on the island, with plans to allocate around three per cent of the company's annual revenues to R&D.

Faced with competition from Microsoft's Xbox game consoles, Sony has increased outsourcing and placed more orders for its hit PlayStation 2 to Hon Hai and Asustek Computer, Taiwan's top computer motherboard maker, the paper added.

While Singapore-based Flextronics makes Microsoft's Xbox console for the North American and European markets, Microsoft has not yet settled on a partner for the Asian market.

End Artical

I hope PS3 won't come out for another 4-6 years because they still havn't max the PS2 ability yet! But if XBox2 or that korean videogame box (forgot the name) is a threat then I will bet Sony will push PS3 out within 3 years!

Black Sugar
07-10-2002, 12:44 PM
Sony issued a statement this morning to officially deny rumors suggesting the company plans to partner with a major Taiwanese electronics firm to develop the PlayStation 3. Speculative reports suggesting the Taiwanese partnership and associated production base for Sony's next videogame console appeared in several Asian news publications over the weekend. Similarly, reports surfaced last week suggesting Sony's plans to incorporate Rambus' YellowStone memory architecture in the PlayStation 3. Thus far however, Sony representatives have refused to comment on a possible Rambus deal. Sony has said that it wants the PlayStation 3 to boast performance 1000 times greater than the PS2, the company's latest home console.

source: http://www.xengamers.com/

hootie17
07-10-2002, 02:02 PM
this is old news
i heard fr0m a reliable s0urce whne ps2 came out that ps3 prototype was already made it was 19inX19in and 109lbs and will have AI cappabilites.

SecretAgentAiwa
07-10-2002, 02:08 PM
This is not old news, what you heard was a rumor! The news I posted was only least than a week old!

Overlord
07-10-2002, 02:10 PM
ps3 prototype was already made it was 19inX19in and 109lbs and will have AI cappabilites.

Thats wasn't originally planned to be the PS3. It was made for something else. But it is really strong, and might be turned into the PS3. It's supposed to have 3x the graphics power then Shrek.

...They would have to downsize it and stuff.

Pikachu
07-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Isn't that 109 lbs thing just a chain of PS2 machines hooked together? It can't be called a PS3.

Overlord
07-11-2002, 01:56 AM
Pikachu:
Isn't that 109 lbs thing just a chain of PS2 machines hooked together? It can't be called a PS3.

From the pic I saw a long time ago, it looked a like a big box with 4 spider like legs supporting it. I doubt it was Ps2's hooked together. I could be wrong though.

hgblob
07-11-2002, 09:17 AM
I believe that was several Emotion Engines hooked together. Sony called it the GSCube, I think. And they were careful to state that it was NOT the PS3 :)

PS2God
07-14-2002, 03:31 AM
Theres no need for a PS3.

hgblob
07-14-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by PS2God
Theres no need for a PS3.

Not yet, anyway.

Alucard
07-14-2002, 07:57 AM
Wont be out till 2006 anyway. Drooling over specs now is a little silly.

Black Sugar
07-14-2002, 12:24 PM
Tell me about it...!

folken001
07-15-2002, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
Wont be out till 2006 anyway. Drooling over specs now is a little silly.

MS and Xbox fans brought this mentality to people. Spec never means this much in the past.

Alucard
07-15-2002, 07:51 AM
I think I remember that same sort of argument when PS2 fans dumped on the Dreamcast fans.

hgblob
07-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
I think I remember that same sort of argument when PS2 fans dumped on the Dreamcast fans.

Depends on which kind of fans you were talking to. Most of the ones I know never bandied specs around; we were just eager to play the games.

Alucard
07-15-2002, 08:35 AM
Well almost anyone you spoke to who had a PS2 and not a DC always had some comment to make. I'll ignore the boards like the IGN boards at the time cause they are all biased as hell. You know, this is the first forum I've seen where everyone posts on more then one board topic and there hasn't been one flame war about so and so console is better then so and so. This place rules.