PDA

View Full Version : Sega Saturn help

gearhound1
11-12-2003, 09:51 PM
my saturn is acting funky for some strange reason.....as soon as i put the game in, it doesn't turn freely like it used to; it rubs on the area surrounding the lense. speaking of the lense, as soon as i put in shining force 3, it wasn't but three minutes and the game froze saying disc read error check disc and pickup lense. what the hell does that mean? thanks for your help. i think i might have to go buy another saturn

Rubeus
11-12-2003, 11:16 PM
Try to put on some lense cleanser.

Cobi*
11-13-2003, 03:00 AM
turn off your saturn, unplug it for a while, then try again... if it's still acting funky try some lense cleaner... if that doesn't work, call sega... if that doesn't work... get a new saturn :(

edit: also try replacing the battery backup with a new battery... that might help.

gearhound1
11-13-2003, 04:01 AM
well, the only problem is when i put in a cd it rubs against the area surrounding the lense; it didn't do that before

Alucard
11-13-2003, 04:34 AM
Has it been stepped on by anyone?

Vicviper
11-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Check the spindle. Is it still firm or is it broken?
It might be cheaper to find a used Saturn at a used game store.

IoriYagami n8
11-13-2003, 01:51 PM
Your mount could have come off it's base making it sit uneven, the actually drive I mean. Could be that your lens is out of wack, or perhaps that your spindle is. But it doesn't sound like a cleaning problem. You shouldn't have that kind of problem unless it got smacked around some how.

gearhound1
11-13-2003, 04:55 PM
it may have gotten smacked around when i moved. as soon as i started playing it a few months after i moved (last night), it was doing it.

Rubeus
11-13-2003, 05:19 PM
In that case, try the old PSX trick -- let your Saturn stands on its left or right side, that could avoid disc scratching problems. If it still doesn't work, put your Saturn upside down, although it gets tricky when changing discs.

Cobi*
11-13-2003, 05:27 PM
although it gets tricky when changing discs.

It shouldn't be too much of a concern for him. Interesting thing about the Saturn is that to change discs you had to return to the BIOS screen (and you had to save your game)... at least that's the way it was in Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Icarus4578
11-14-2003, 12:46 AM
The question here is whether it's leaving scratches in a circular fashion on your game disc(s). Does it? If so, then it has to do with the CD mount. It must've gotten worn from being used too harshly or too often. These things happen, unfortunately. If this is the case then sorry Gearhound; you'll have to find a new Saturn somewhere.

IoriYagami n8
11-14-2003, 01:12 AM
Well, if it's just been knocked off the base then the drive can be put back into place. It's hard to say exactly what it's doing simply from descriptions. I would take it apart and have a look myself, but I do that kind a thing a lot so I'm comfortable with it myself.

gearhound1
11-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Icarus4578
The question here is whether it's leaving scratches in a circular fashion on your game disc(s). Does it? If so, then it has to do with the CD mount. It must've gotten worn from being used too harshly or too often. These things happen, unfortunately. If this is the case then sorry Gearhound; you'll have to find a new Saturn somewhere.

actually, it doesn't leave any circular scrathes which puzzles me to the highest degree.