PDA

View Full Version : First Jedi spawned in SWG!

Alucard
11-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Talk about a short honeymoon. Over the weekend, players of Star Wars Galaxies, the film-inspired massive-multiplayer online role-playing game, learned that two players had achieved Jedi Initiate status. The pair were the first in the game's four-and-a-half month history to do so.

Today, the MMORPG site Allakhazam's Magical Realm is reporting that a massive bounty--150,000 credits--is being offered for the newly hatched Jedi's heads. As of press time, they had not been killed.

Reaction in the Galaxies community has been mixed. Some see the bounties as a cynical move by Sony Online Entertainment to keep the Jedi population down, others praise it as being true to the spirit of the SW films. Unsurprisingly, the most common reaction has been bloodthirsty enthusiasm by players with bounty-hunter characters, who have posted comments like "It's safari time!" on SWG forums.

gyahaha. Sucked in Jedi n00bs! :D

TheHardware
11-11-2003, 06:30 PM
ya know ..all the hype around it is really good for the game and im glad it took so long....makes it something to look forward to...currently i am having problems with holocrons..so i guess my jedi days are a bit off .....

Seska
11-12-2003, 04:59 AM
Considering its gonna take 6 months of near-constant playing to become a jedi.... I think Ill play KOTOR instead. :D

Vyse
11-12-2003, 02:52 PM
I have been a bit confused as to the perks of being a jedi, does it just make you a higher level than everyone around you?

Star Wars Galaxies looked really coo, but from what I've seen I'll stick with Dark Age Of Camelot.

Horizons and Dragon Empires or whatever its called both look pretty cool though, as does WoW

NEO-GEO
11-12-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
[b]

gyahaha. Sucked in Jedi n00bs! :D

Wow, thats kinda sad.

Seska
11-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Vyse
I have been a bit confused as to the perks of being a jedi, does it just make you a higher level than everyone around you?

Apparently it unlocks your force sentitive slots, meaning you get to work on special Jedi powers (lightning, chick, push, whatever) as well as allowing you to design your own Lightsabers. Being what they are , Im guessing Lightsabers will be the uberest of uber weapons in the game.

And since MMORPGs are about tbeing the uberest of the uber, well, I guess thats why people are jealous. And thats why I avoid MMORPGs.

Drunken Savior
11-12-2003, 10:30 PM
I hope they die soon. Last thing I wanna hear about is people getting hacked up by Jedis screaming "I jus PAWN3D JOO NOOOB!"

...well...it's better than Lucas' Episode 1 script...but I still won't settle for it.

Alucard
11-13-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by gaia
Wow, thats kinda sad.

Not sad if its taken from a bounty hunters perspective. Sad coming from someone who takes Jedi's a little too seriously and thinks they should be undefeatable gods in the universe.

Dont worry about Horizons if I were you. The game is SO old that it already looks dated. Stick with Lineage 2 or EQ 2 over that.

jeremy_aerts
11-13-2003, 11:48 AM
I bought star wars galaxies and played it for about a week....i just can't stand battling in mmorpgs...click on the guy and basically press attack....i dunno, i'm sure some day the mmorpg for me will come out. :)

Alucard
11-13-2003, 12:46 PM
hehe.. You've missed the entire point of what an mmorpg is. If all it was was about clicking someone and pressing attack then noone would play it.

jeremy_aerts
11-13-2003, 02:13 PM
hahaha, i know it's simply not that...ok, i admit it. I just didn't have the patience to dive into the game when max payne 2 was right next to my computer....(runs off to beat the game)

Alucard
11-13-2003, 02:19 PM
A worthy excuse! No is the wrong time to start up an mmorpg. Wait another 2-3 months after all the good games come out and theres that pause till july. First half of the year is best time to play.

jeremy_aerts
11-13-2003, 11:52 PM
actually that's what i was thinking, and by then they should have added a lot of new features like those creature mounts and more jedi's should be around.

Seska
11-15-2003, 06:46 AM
By then Lineage 2 will be out and SWG can kindly go to rot alongside Eps 1-3!

TheHardware
11-15-2003, 07:16 AM
creature mounts are out along with new job polotician and so are player cities..the scope of this game is great..next come vehicles..then ships like tie fighters and xwings..pod racing will be included....and much more ..and as we all know jedis have been sighted..they are still hiding...i guess they arent strong enough..

hey i wont knock anyone for not likeing theh game..but it really is a great game....i have tons of fun playing...and all the added stuff is coming in nicely....i highly recommed it...i know it took long but.it was jurney worth taking (imo)

if anyone wants to play it..join the intrepid server my name on there is rio liphe..look me up maby we can adventure together.....

Alucard
11-15-2003, 09:33 AM
Stupid people were meant to have vehicles and space combat from day 1, but they are slack and useless. This your first MMORPG Hardware?

TheHardware
11-16-2003, 04:47 AM
alucard your getting to mych sunlight my friend...all i was saying is for whatever reason they didnt release it initially..fine by me..i am not a must have all gimmee gimmee gimmee like you..i have some patience..you act as if a game doesnt live up to your great (i know it all) expectancy its not good enough for anyone else....well sorry al..i love it....and thats all i was saying.....

and nope its not my first mmorpg..i played everquest and a little warcraft.....anything else i can do to ease his almighty one....

Alucard
11-16-2003, 07:14 AM
Well I never said people shouldn't play it because I'm not happy about something. All I said was that they are lazy and useless for not putting in things they promised would be there from day 1 since they started plugging the game in the news. All I see is a half finished product handed up to us and that doesn't please me. So I plan to look at it after they bring out what they promised. Its like playing TRIBES without vehicles. Why bother when theres UT or Quake?

Renegade X
11-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Actually, creature mounts, player cities, and land vehicles where meant to be there from day one. Of course for the sake of getting the game out on time and relatively bug free, which I must say SWG was one of the best title launches I've seen and the updates have nothing but gotten better and better, they droped them. Of course, those features that where dropped will be free, but space combat was ALWAYS meant to be the first expansion pack for the game, in fact the day the SWG site when up they already had the teaser site up for the first expansion which, guess what, is tentivtively dubbed, SWG: Space Expansion.

Alucard
11-18-2003, 02:59 AM
Maybe so. But when the game was announced they promised space combat from day one. If you dont know this then you probably started following the game long after when it was announced that vehicles and space combat weren't going to be there at launch. Why announce it if you never planned on doing it? IT was planned. They cut back.

Renegade X
11-18-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
Maybe so. But when the game was announced they promised space combat from day one. If you dont know this then you probably started following the game long after when it was announced that vehicles and space combat weren't going to be there at launch. Why announce it if you never planned on doing it? IT was planned. They cut back.

Ok, yes from the beginning it was planned that there would be vehicles and space combat in SWG, BUT when the offical announcement of a almost solidified date for SWG would be out it was said, at E3 that Space vehicles and combat would be added in as the first expansion pack to SWG where as land vehicles would be in the inital release... if you'll remember land vehicles got dropped pretty close to release time and it was said that they, along with the Dark Jedi, creature mounts, and player cities would be added to the game later on for free, you wouldn't have to pay for them like you will have to to be able to fly in space and dog fight. I am sure of this, ban me if you like, but you will be sued for wrongful banning.

Alucard
11-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Eh? Why would I ban you for that. I rarely ban. Banned..hmm..1 person in my entire time here! Though it should be a few more if you count NiN and some others.

Anyway, I'm not saying it wasn't announced later for the expansion packs. Mainly that we were told certain things would be there, we looked forward to the game, then they tell us they wont be there because they wont be able to complete them on time, then we got angry and snubbed them till they put in what they promised. Thats really all I'm saying. Not that the game is bad or not. We're just annoyed at the developers who mouth off too much and so plan to look at the game when they put in the stuff they promised. Other companies delay the launch of their game if they dont have what they said in it. To me it just seems they were less interested in the fans. If you get what I'm saying.. Other then that I'm sure its fun.

TheHardware
11-20-2003, 01:45 AM
have a garlic sandwich alucard....lol....

it actually sounds like you dont like the game...but ..if ou actually played you would realize how much there is to do besides mounts player cities and what not....tons to do...that stuff actually seems to have been implimented at the right time...seem really progressive....if they keep it up like this ..you will always have something new and interesting to tinker with..they just added in a new quest for armorsmiths which gives you a new armor to create....progression my friend..if they added in all the armors from jump...it would be kinda cluttered..a few every month makes for tons of possibilitys.....the game is shaping up really nicely

Alucard
11-20-2003, 04:27 AM
hehe.. you still misunderstand me. I was looking forward to the game when they announced it ages ago but its a little annoying to look forward to something and then get half of what they said they'd give. I'm sure the game is great. I hope I get the time to play it. But aside from a little gameplay things here and there, its not a huge difference in MMORPGs. The vehicles and space battles were what was going to make it for me since thats the new juicy stuff the other games dont have. Untill they put them in I dont plan to play it. Just wondering what it was that kept them from bringing these things out at the beginning. Why were they so far behind.

Renegade X
11-20-2003, 08:53 AM
I get what your saying Alucard and I agree to some extent, but personally, I wouldn't want to have to wait to play SWG because the promised very vast space exspansion wasn't ready and doesn't look like it will be ready until a year after the main bulk of the game (ground based) was just sitting there ready to be released.

Plus it's not like anybody would of been able to buy a X-Wing or Tie Figther from the get go... so I'm not that upset. I am a little peaved though that I've had to stop playing the game due to school and the fact that I'm dead set on getting a force active slot so I can become a dark jedi and kill other jedi and those stupid upstart bounty hunters... DIE YOU FOOLS DIE!!! :kill: :evilsmile :???: :sweat: opps, did I go off again, time to get the medications out!!!

Drunken Savior
11-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Are the Jedi dead yet? Hmm...they could join us...and then we'd have a powerful ally....

Renegade X
11-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Nope, no dead jedi, there was a interview on IGN with one of the developers of SWG that said theres this whole like "awareness system" where jedi are only as famous as they show themselves to be, meaning, if people don't see them using the force or a lightsaber then that jedi doesn't have any real worries. It's kinda a Jedi in hidding sort of deal so it's not like you can just be a bounty hunter and go after that reward, that Jedi has to let themselves be known before you can go on the hunt.

Alucard
11-20-2003, 09:30 PM
The minute they there will be a list on the net with the names of the jedis. Then the bounty hunters will put their names in their watch for list and track them down. Kinda cheesy really. They can't afford to show themselves at all. But then again they'll most likely give themselves away on a board or something.