PDA

View Full Version : Great bands outside the mainstream

gabriel
07-02-2002, 11:49 PM
If a band isnt on the radio or MTV most people have never heard of them. For the most part, popular music blows. The tunes maybe catchy, but catchy doesnt always equal good. And the catchy-ness begins to wear off quick when the song is played a dozen times a day, everyday, on all the major radio stations.

So, what are the bands you listen to that the unwashed masses have never heard of? :)

My faves are:

Mike Oldfield
VAST
Chroma Key
Dream Theater (they're pretty big, but no one I've talked to has ever heard of em)

I'd describe them more, but I dont feel like it now (too tired) and I doubt anyone really cares :P

The reason I did this thread is because I could be (well I know I am), missing out on some great music. The ones I've listed I stumbled upon by chance, and it's a shame to think that you could be missing out on a band that could potentially be one of your favourites.

Kamui
07-03-2002, 08:25 AM
Dream theater rules.... outside that I am pretty much like someone else..^_^... My father likes M Oldfield ( he have tubular bells 1 and 2 and some more).....

Sesshoumaru
07-14-2002, 11:00 PM
Nonpoint
Strictflow
The Clarks
Mad Capsule Markets (out of mainstream in USA anyways :p )

hootie17
07-18-2002, 10:15 PM
dreamtheater i have heard only once, and it was amazin, i love the band Leftover Crack/Choking Victim, Kingpin, mydead audio, and dynamite hack.

Seska
07-19-2002, 11:38 PM
I's say Mike Oldfield is pretty damn popular! Hes always on some program or interview or another, doing concerts and stuff... well, at least in Europe. I like his stuff a lot, especially the latest Album, Tres Lunas, which is a bit more chill-out.

As for stuff you have probably never heard of, here goes:

BT
Lamb
Cafe del Mar (not reallly a group but an annual compilation of Ibiza Chillout music)
Banco de Gaia
Chicane
And last but not least, music composed by Angelo Badalamenti

And no, thats not italian pop, though the name certainly sounds it!

xXx Beaver xXx
07-31-2002, 05:22 AM
Ricky Martin and N*Sync, mmmmm.

dont forget Britney!
hit me baby one more time!! :big smile

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil