PDA

View Full Version : new consoles

Beam
10-29-2003, 09:59 PM
seems like evey major player in the gaming console biz has announced a their next console who do you think will pull out to an early lead???

Reality
10-29-2003, 10:20 PM
None of them in my current view. Nintend o (as the said in some very recent interviews) seems to understand there is no real advantage to a head start of a major console player. At lest not a year's worth. Nintendo has a good plan I think. Getting some relaly good software started along side Sony.

camac
10-29-2003, 11:00 PM
hmm i don't know about that man, you really think the PS2 would have such a huge lead if the Gamecube and Xbox were to have been release at the same time? ... hypotheticly anyway :P

Reality
10-29-2003, 11:08 PM
You mean me? I of course know the PS2 wouldn't have had it's great impact this gen if the other consoles came out side by side with it and that's what they plan to do next gen. That's what I was talking about.

Alucard
10-30-2003, 12:15 AM
It really matters on what the system comes with. If its a straight game console then it'll do average. People today want extras, and the PS2 dvd player is what sold that thing.. It definately was NOT its game line up. They had the trashiest launch titles and the graphics weren't all that great, looking lower in quality then a Dreamcast game at the time. Definately was the DVD player in my opinion.

Ofcourse if Nintendo come out with games lthat look like Too Human, and a Pokemon rpg or something, I'll put my money on them flying forward. But its sooooo early and can't really tell. But that would be Nintendo's best course. Also a built in bar fridge so gamers can get a drink while they play their games..

SpaceManSpiff
10-30-2003, 03:10 AM
The main reason I bought a PS2 was because I enjoyed the PS1 so much and knew that most of its exclusive games would carry on to the PS2. I mean, the N64 doesnt help me want to get a GC on launch, and The was xbox a gamble; since it was MS first console ever. So imo the PS2 would still have done almost just as good if they were all 3 released at the same time.

Escaflowne2001
10-30-2003, 04:41 AM
/\
Yep, me too and I was shocked to see a Orphan game after only just seeing the anime. :)

ATMA
10-30-2003, 11:18 AM
I'll be waiting for the softwars to arrive first, Japanese softwares that is. Also when the price war start, but no "must have it on day 1" for me this time, i've learn from my mistake with the ps2, and plus i'll be waiting for the console to somehow becomes more then 1 region compatable, meaning NTSC u/c will be there and the option for NTSC J or the other way around, then i'll make the jump to the next generation.

DBJAY
10-30-2003, 11:33 AM
If all consoles debut at the exact same time, or in the same three months at least the early leader will, imo, depend on a few things.

1.) Hardware features. A lot of the early PS2 hype was centered around absurd notions of the "specs" of the emotion engine and how those specs would be able to deliver. I beleive the same hype specs battle will take place again. Also, whichever console captures the cool new tech of the day in 2006, just as the PS2 came with the relatively new DVD format. Maybe in 06 the new thing will be HD DVD and HDTV , so whichever console embraces that will leap forward.

2.) Software. Realistically, this is Nintendo's area and their chance to vault way beyond PS3 & XBOX2, or not. No other company has a rich of a roster as franchise characters as Nintendo. Sony will rely on 3rd parties again, maybe deliver a new GT game, but that's about it. MS is banking on the Halo 3 factor, likely the Rare factor, XSN sports catalogue, but also will need significant 3rd party support. Nintendo has the best chance of delivering several exclusive 1st party titles. So the ball really is in Nintendo's court for software.

ATMA
10-30-2003, 12:02 PM
DBJAY:

Then again maybe not.Lot of factors that might make the next gen the same as this one(I sure hope not, but what the hell do I know?), you have those that I like to call blind gamers that falls for hype and believe everything that has the name 'Sony" in it, so these guys are there day 1 with or without the software or "cell" or any new technology. And I think they are the majority, plus you have the factor that happend with the ps1 to ps2, meaning people will just wait for the ps3 anyways, simply because they have proven(in the past) they can deliver the softwares(from 3rd parties). Now the only one who can break this is MS as they can afford to toss money the way they like and 3rd parties are easily tempted by that, and also know that MS is willing to throw alot just to save their next gen console if it's needed, and will just wait for MS to approach them and play hard to get just to get as much out of MS as they can. Now Nintendo might have the software as you said and I agree with you, BUT they DID deliver this generation, all kind of games (from 1st-2nd-3rd parties) did the consumer go for it?My answer is NO. And Nintendo need to watch out again for the next generation as some things pass from one generation to the next generation and for Nintendo it might be negative.However Sony right now is in the worst position than Nin and MS when it comes to money, IF the psp fails and "cell" doesn't do what they claim it can do..it WILL back fire for Sony and that might aswell be the end of Sony era and the empire of Sony itself, but still i'm not saying wich scenario will play out too early to say, and I dare not predict stuff like this however these are a few things that are going in my mind right now. ;)

ps: You have the blue ray disc technology, that is also comming, but also three other giant empires in Japan also have the red ray disc (sp?) technology so we must look at that also as i'm sure the ps3 will introduce the blue ray, but if you have other equipment with red ray things might not go so well for Sony as it did with the ps2 dvd.(And the blue ray might fail just like the Minidisc)