PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of Star Wars: Rebel Strike (Rogue Squadron III)

Renegade X
10-27-2003, 07:42 PM
I've had some time to get my hands on this great game over the weekend and since nobody seems to be talking about it that much, I though I'd bring it up since I'm bored a little bit and need to give my other fingers some work out time. Anyways... on with the Impressions from a Gamer's stand point.

Hands down I believe that Rebel Strike is going to be a game that will definately bring new GC users in... MK:DD is sure to be good, but mostly Mario Kart fans will more than likely be the only ones along with a few curious stagglers.

Rebel Strike I would have to say is a totally different game from previous Rogue Squad games. For one, theres a massive amount of content tied right into the orginal trilogy, and a lot of stuff we didn't get to see. The game has 3 different routes, Luke's Story, a somewhat Neutal/Bonus Missions Story, and Wedge's Story. As you might of guessed Luke and Wedge are the stars and the bonus mission track is there to add some content in the gaps in the SW time line and also let you play threw some of the more memorable moments as well.

To start the game off, you have two choices, Tatooine Training and Revenge of the Empire, which takes place right after the destruction of the first Death Star, Sorry that thats about all the teasers your going to get. The core of the game is it's game play, action in the skies and space is fast paced and rarely slows down... and if it does slow down your slacking off and your risking losing your gold medal!

There is some new gameplay to Rebel Strike.... one is Speeder Bikes and also you'll get to pilot Luke's First Speeder on Tatooine. Also you get to clock some ground time in this sequel.

There in lies Rebel Strikes some what down fall... the on foot combat suffers greatly, AT-ST Walkers are fun to drive I'll admit, but it's when your not in a vehicle that it becomes apparent that Factor 5 didn't put their all into the newest features of Rebel Strike, you do get to be a Jedi for a while a la Luke. But the fact is, it's just not satisfying... and the rumors that this will be Factor 5's last SW game is kinda depressing because they really should do one more game like Rebel Strike because their leaving on some what a sour note.

Regardless of the buggy out of vehicle action, while your strapped into a X-wing or AT-ST walker... the fun is endless... and the co-op and multiplayer add lost of replay value if you have a friend who wants to aid you in your quest to bring down the empire...

So in closing, I give Rebel Strike a 5 out of 5 for the in vehicle combat, but a 3 out of 5 for the out of vehicle combat... Factor 5 you really should give it one more crack before putting the SW games to rest, you can do so much better.

Joe Redifer
10-27-2003, 09:06 PM
......geting...... sick... of...... Star Wars music!

Seska
10-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
......geting...... sick... of...... Star Wars music!

You know, thats something that could be applied to every damn SW game ever created. Suuuuuure, its a classic soundtrack, but for christ's sake, we've been bombarded with the same damn Williams arrangement note for note since the movies came out almost 3 decades ago.

I dunno about Kotor since I aint played it, but I sure as hell am getting annoyed that each sucessive JEdi Knight game has virtually the exact same soundtrack as the previous JK game.

Axe Wielding Nut
10-27-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Seska
I dunno about Kotor since I aint played it

OMGWTF?! PLAY THAT GAME RIGHT NOW!!!

don't make me whip out the 'Chucks

http://members.roadfly.com/wwwcomp/bruce_hussein[1].gif

:too mad:

Pilotwings
10-28-2003, 12:49 AM
i'm waiting for a price drop, like player choice titles, before picking it up.

just a few questions. on average, how long does each stage take to beat?

are the craft easier to control this time? some crafts in rouge leader was difficult to use, like millenium falcon for example.

can you explain the light scattering systems.

and finanally, how's the difficiculty? i beat rogue leader only once, and can't beat it after, just too damn hard to escape the flame from the death star tunnel. :lol:

Seska
10-28-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Carniv?le
OMGWTF?! PLAY THAT GAME RIGHT NOW!!!

don't make me whip out the 'Chucks

:too mad:

Sure, will you buy me an Xbox? Ill PM you the address you may ship it to. :D

Axe Wielding Nut
10-28-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Seska
Sure, will you buy me an Xbox? Ill PM you the address you may ship it to. :D

just go out on the street and kill some old people for it, god...

BE PRACTICAL DAMMIT

and next time you fuckin quote me, you fuckin quote the Sadaam gif too!:too mad:

Reality
10-28-2003, 12:35 PM
If I was you I just get the PC version. It'll have 3,000 less bugs I bet'ca. :P

Escaflowne2001
10-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Reality
If I was you I just get the PC version. It'll have 3,000 less bugs I bet'ca. :P

Bugs!?! I knew they was a good thing about EU getting games last.