PDA

View Full Version : xbox 2 details announced!

Cobi*
06-30-2002, 03:20 PM
Microsoft boss speaks out on the company's next console

While Xbox hasn't quite been the success that Microsoft probably hoped it would be, they're not ones to give up easily: already they have detailed plans for a second console, which could be on sale by 2006.

Speaking to Japanese business paper The Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Steve Ballmer - the CEO of Microsoft - confirmed that Microsoft's next console would be released close to the time of the next world cup.

Ballmer went on hint that Xbox 2 would have improved Internet access and that the machine would become more like a net-compatible digital home appliance. Hmmm... not unlike what Sony have been saying about PS2 for years.

Industry rumours also suggest that Xbox may also have some other significant application other than just games console/DVD player. Some sources hint that, if the hard drive is big enough, it may also work as a Tivo-style digital video recorder.
this was taken from www.gamesradar.com

what do you think? there's alot to look foward to by the time the next world cup rolls around :D

actually i thought this sounded alot like what ps3 might be like. good to know that they're on the same page.

King Takacs
06-30-2002, 05:38 PM
it sounds really good, i just hope that the price of these future machines dont get too pricey. The prices of the PS2 and Xbox where just on the edge but i still bought one so i hope they dont go over that.

Kid0_oIcarus
07-01-2002, 08:55 AM
I'll buy it if it isn't shaped like vcr.

I want it to be small and cute.

DBJAY
07-01-2002, 04:30 PM
The real question is which company will actually deliver on this concept?

Sony claimed the very same things about the PS2 and the ability to download movies, music, and use the Net. Still hasn't happened. Will they actually follow through with the PS3?

I can see two different product lines emerging. One a console for games, basic DVD/CD, and online gaming. Another being the ultimate set-top box with the ability to play videogames.

Dubkiller
07-01-2002, 05:10 PM
Secret Project at Microsoft Features an Xbox With Extras
Mon Jul 1, 1:21 AM ET

Its code name is "Freon," reflecting the notion that it is the coolest secret project at Microsoft Corp. (NasdaqNM: MSFT - News) these days, at least in the eyes of the Xbox ( news - web sites) video-game division, Monday's Wall Street Journal reported.

What Freon stands for is a souped-up successor to the Xbox console -- capable of playing games but also offering television capabilities, such as pausing live TV and recording shows onto a computer hard drive, say people familiar with the effort. Though it is unclear whether such a product will ever be built, its core concept appears to have the backing of Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates ( news - web sites), who wrote in an internal memorandum in January that he was a "big fan" of a machine that would combine video services with gaming.

Such a device, which could cost around $500, would have another big advantage: It could beat video-game market leader Sony Corp ( news - web sites). to the punch.

Microsoft officials are mulling releasing some kind of new game machine sometime next year or in 2004, say people familiar with the matter. That timing could shake up the $20 billion global video-game market, breaking a long- established pattern of developing and releasing new systems in roughly five-year cycles. Sony, the undisputed leader in a three-way race with Microsoft and Nintendo ( news - web sites) Co ., isn't expected to release its next PlayStation system until 2005.

Microsoft officials won't comment on Freon. But the software titan has been playing catch-up to Sony since it introduced the Xbox last year. Though Microsoft hoped the introduction of a hard disk and other features would inspire developers to write more exciting games than for the PlayStation 2 ( news - web sites), Sony's hardware has retained an edge among consumers and programmers.

Wall Street Journal Staff Reporters Rebecca Buckman, Khanh T.L. Tran and Robert A. Guth contributed to this report.

Seska
07-03-2002, 03:54 AM
So, Basically an Xbox and Tivo Combined.

Whee.

No wonder Bill Gates Approves. Yet another sytem he can monopolize.

DBJAY
07-03-2002, 12:06 PM
Sony is also in the biz to monopolize an industry. They tried it with the beta format. VHS won that battle.

Don't think for a second that Sony isn't looking into delivering the same PVR + Gaming rig, and the very fact that they hyped the PS2 as having one day the ability to download movies, music, etc. shows how aggressively they are moving into ulimate set-top boxes.

Dubkiller
07-03-2002, 06:45 PM
Although I really only use my consoles for gameplaying (I don't watch DVDs or listen to CDs on them), having Tivo capability would be pretty cool, as I don't have a PVR. But I doubt I'd spend the $500 on the Xbox Freon just for that capability.

The PS2's harddrive is supposed to be quite large. Forty gigs, IIRC. It would be nice if the ability to use it as a Tivo was included. Otherwise, what do you need 40GB of HD space for?

b0b
07-14-2002, 10:14 PM
the price estimate is wrong, I doubt stand alone PVRs have a 766 mhz P3 for there encoding, I can see this happening it would only be possible if MS could shrink the hardware in the Xbox to make room for dedicated Mpeg-2 encoder, or Mpeg-4 Divx, I could see this upping the price to 400 but no more, people in advertising and marketing since the early 90's have thrown around the buzz word convergance, and this is what that is devices now a days are more and more being multipurpose that's fine, I'd like a game console to be a dvd player as well as a PVR, this isn't going to stop soon or ever for that matter as technology increases we'll actually see tons more of this happening, how long until we have pda's that are cell phones and a game device

aneep
07-15-2002, 11:20 PM
i don't think this Freon=Xbox 2

more like PSone to PSX

Xbox 2 is still far away, though i think it will guaranteed that MS won't let Sony have a head start again like in this gen

Xbox 2 in 2006, near world cup? heh Ballmer must be joking
2005 is more likely

-aneep-

b0b
07-23-2002, 10:45 PM
Freons supposed to be a Xbox + PVR capability's

b0b
07-27-2002, 04:55 AM
it makes sense to add pvr I mean the harddrive would definitely need to be bigger, but that's alright WD introduced 200 gig hd's today slightly lowering every other HD on the market a few dollars down whos to say how cheap a 50-100 gig Hd is going to be in 2005-2006.

I don't get all these people against set top box's I think it's a great idea, If i'm going to shell out 300 at launch I want this thing to do enough for me to justify the purchase, Xbox 2 or Freon with PVR for 300 plus the games and the DVD playback plus backwards compatiblity that sounds pretty sweet to me.

Kid0_oIcarus
07-29-2002, 08:54 AM
Exactly- IF you shell out $300 dollars at launch for an all-in-one approach you should get all that stuff already in there. Heck it should be able to double as a food processor!

However, I personally would rather pick and choose what components I want. I don't like where Sony and Microsoft are taking their consoles.

I'm waiting for the day when they decide to include a garbage disposal, so that if you happen to buy certain games- with a flick of a switch they're sent to their rightful place!.. SAVES ON STORAGE SPACE! w00t! :rolleyes:

b0b
07-30-2002, 02:54 PM
as long as Xbox 2 is directx 9 compliant and the nvidia card kicks doom 3's ass that's good enough for me, I mean look at Doom 3 and imagine console level graphics that good if not better in 4 years, while no doubt the PC will be reaching another new level of graphics.

Kid0_oIcarus
07-31-2002, 09:18 AM
As long as Xbox 2 can play good games, more good games come out for the system, and they don't expect me to pay for features I don't want or need- 1'd 7h1n|< 4b0u7 g3771ng 0n3.

xXx Beaver xXx
08-08-2002, 05:47 AM
As long as the games a re good now. the third 'as long'???!!!

I don't like the ones out right now.

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil

Rubeus
08-09-2002, 01:16 AM
If Microsoft continues to stick with Intel and nVidia, they probably can't beat the Cell processor of Sony, it is supposed to be 100 times faster than a P4-2.5Ghz. I don't think Intel can release a 250Ghz Pentium processor by 2006.

xXx Beaver xXx
08-09-2002, 07:51 AM
You are right, the 'Cell' would be to powerful for intel.
Ibm, Toshiba and Sony rule!

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil

Kid0_oIcarus
08-09-2002, 09:20 AM
Doesn't bode well then.. I wonder what'll MS do if Sony's claims ring true? *groan* :rolleyes:

DBJAY
08-09-2002, 11:15 AM
I think what people are missing about the cell concept is that in order for the potential of the cell to be used, it has to be connected to a chain of devices that are cell equipped.

For example, if the PS3 is cell based, it has to link up with another cell based device. How exactly will it connect? One possibility is that it will connect over broadband, which immediately cuts a huge swath through the potential userbase. Not only is the cost of broadband still prohibitive for many consumers, but limited in it's availibility in many parts of the US, Euro, Asia, etc.

Or the other possibility is that it has to connect to another cell based product. If you are connecting to a tv, and a cell based tv would likely fall into the higher end of the Sony tv line (starting at 400-500 in addition to the cost of the PS3 (300).

Or, even worse, it has to connect to a cell equipped pc which will run into the 1000-2000+ range.

Wow. Looks like Sony is planning on forcing buyers into investing at least a 1000 bucks to have cell equipped processing power in one house.

And that is why the cell processor plan is once again Sony smoke and mirrors in relation to the PS3. Remember the wild claims of the Emotion Engine? None of that revolutionary concepts spouted off during the hype phase came true, and in fact high end PC graphics cards still are the best possible visuals for the home, so this is just history repeating itself.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-09-2002, 11:23 AM
Yeah it has the added perk of being able to harness the processing power of other Cell chips.. but I believe that's just one of the features that they're focusing on.. sort of like an added bonus, "Hey kids, if your mommy also buys this SOny TV.. your games will load faster!!" I seriously doubt they'd handicap the PS3 in this regard. I thought the supposed 100x processing power of Intel chips was supposed to be for just one chip..?? I could be wrong, tho.

Well just have to see.. it's all just a big "what if" at this point... but isn't it fun just speculating? :D

WINDJAMMERS
08-09-2002, 09:31 PM
I need a TiVO..... I like Panzer Dragoon...hmm......