PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of the "Nintendo Fanboy"

Shining Force
04-18-2002, 11:11 PM
I'm getting sick of the whole console war things, but the thing I hate the most is the excuse that people who side with Nintendo are simply Nintendo Fanboys who stick with the company for no reason other than that its Nintendo.

I hear it all the time. Do they even know why there are nintendo diehards? I myself have been ensnared into the world of nintendo since I was about 5 (I'm 20 now)... Nintendo constantly dishes out very high quality software for their systems which pretty much always makes their sysetms a safe investment. The franchise games are pretty much guaranteed to be excellent as they have proven many times in the past.

Then they go and say N64 sucked. Other than the lack of strong 3rd party support, N64 had a rediculously good library - I could name about 15 games out of it that are must haves.

All I'm saying is, go ahead call me a Nintendo Fanboy; because I am. But I'm a Nintendo fan for a good reason, so why the hell is that your excuse to deny Nintendo?

dvdjedi
04-19-2002, 05:26 AM
People stick with Nintendo because of the franchises (Mario, Starfox, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, etc). That's why I picked up a GCN: for the franchises, not for a huge amount of games to be released for it. However, the N64 was seriously hampered by a lack of strong 3rd-party support. There's no denying that. IMO the only "must-have" N64 games are Super Mario 64, the 2 Zeldas, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark. Not many (any) 3rd party titles there, huh? Nintendo is Nintendo is Nintendo. Their mantra has always been "quality over quantity" & that's how I see things going for the GCN. Is that a bad thing? Not at all.

Pdaimaoh
04-19-2002, 08:10 AM
wait, are you ripping on fanboys or ripping on people that rip on fanboys?

nintendo alone makes quality games as a REASON to buy their consoles

now that sega is gone, nintendo is the last one to care

Ms tries to buy what they can, but can't afford the best
Sony attracted the lowest common denominator and lucked out based on nintendo's past wrongs

wow
makes me wonder which one would survive if all the third parties went to the Nuon...

Shining Force
04-19-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Pdaimaoh
wait, are you ripping on fanboys or ripping on people that rip on fanboys?

I was doing the latter... I just don't like when people actually believe that Nintendo Loyalists are loyal to Nintendo for no reason.

so true... But I think its awesome that they still develop, no matter what system. The announcement of Phantasy Star Collection for GBA? HUGE, imo. I just hope they do the same with the Shining Force series somewhere along the line.

But for N64, the two third party games that really stick out in my head are Ogre Battle 64 and All Star Baseball 2001 (I think 2001) - then theres always the Tony Hawks which for some reason always sell big.

Tifa's Knight
04-19-2002, 06:34 PM
This is what I always say! PREACH it, brother! :D I totally agree, I'm really sick of being generalized as a "Nintendo fanboy" who just blindly loves everything they make. It's getting damn old, and it's just an easy way for people to argue against Nintendo when they don't really have any concrete arguments.

Yai
04-20-2002, 02:32 AM
The only thing bad about be a nintendo fanboy is the name. Nintendo continues to crank out great games and they have a great console out right now. I wonder why being a Sega Fanboy doesn't have the same stigma after all the times Sega has burned its fans?

tofuhead
04-20-2002, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Yai
I wonder why being a Sega Fanboy doesn't have the same stigma after all the times Sega has burned its fans?

Well, Sega doesn't have the same sort of (undeserved) kiddie image that Nintendo has. Sure, Nintendo is the Pokemon company, but they are also the Fire Emblem and Zelda company. ;)

< tofuhead >

Black Ace
04-20-2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by tofuhead

Well, Sega doesn't have the same sort of (undeserved) kiddie image that Nintendo has. Sure, Nintendo is the Pokemon company, but they are also the Fire Emblem and Zelda company. ;)

< tofuhead >

This stigma of kiddy image didn't come to existence until Nintendo introduced Pok?mon to the US market in late 1998 I believe. Nintendo has changed a lot over the years, a few years back you wouldn't find a mature rated game published by them, that all has changed now when they are soon releasing games like Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, etc.

Shining Force
04-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Not to mention getting Resident Evil exclusive to the system.

Badmash X
04-20-2002, 05:02 PM
I don't get it.
I'm a Nintendo fanboy. That's cool with me.
I mean I'd prefer Nintendo for myself over anything else.

But I used to have a NES.
The sold it and got a SNES.
Never had a Gameboy. Never cared for one.
Sold my SNES and got a PSX.

4 years after that I got another PSX (coz the 1st one got wasted).
And last year my friend sent me a DC coz I couldn't afford to buy one.

I'm thinking about getting a GBA and GC but later on this year.
Coz games are starting to show up on both now.

So does that make me biased?

ATMA
04-23-2002, 05:22 AM
It's really annoying i guess to be called a fanboy nintendo fanboy or sony fanboy ..it's annoying if you want to, but it can also be good it means you support what you trust or believe in (in this case the console you support or believe in )..see it as
your own selfconfidence telling you something you know you love ..in other words see it as you are getting up and standing up for your rights !!
and for the people that call us fanboy let it be
-STICK AND STONES - it's only a sign that atleast you believe in something !! i hope this message helps !!!! ;) dedicated to all the people who stand by what they believe in or their consoles that they love !!!!:D

Seska
04-23-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Pdaimaoh

This is a bit off-topic, but well...

Am I the only one to think that sega actually DIDN'T care? Products like the Sega-CD, 32X - almsot instant flops and unsupported. Those who bought them had to bite the dust. Saturn, great system, given the Axe as well when it could have lasted a fair deal longer alongside the PSX. And the biggest tragedy of all, the DC. GREAT system, abandoned as well so sega could go into only developing games, and pretty much multiplatform by now.

Seems to me the only thing Sega cared about was making cash, not supporting its fanbase.

Dont get me wrong, I owned a Genesis, and STILL own a Saturn and Dreamcast - but you have to be honest, Sega didnt care a whole lot for useers me when it decided to cut the support and game dev for systems that IMHO had a lot more life in them.

Bitter? Yep, just a bit! :p

Alucard
04-23-2002, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't quite say abandoned. They were, along with Nintendo, one of the few companies who made games just for their supporters. They were making no money, always in the red every year with the Dreamcast, yet they kept on ploughing through towards more and moer debt. And when that old guy died, I forget his name but the one who kept giving them all that money to get out of debt each time, they had little choice but to give up supporting their system which wasn't making them enough money and do the only smart thing, which was go third party.
I'm a little annoyed, but I'm more happy that they are still around and didn't die out from debt. Because that would be a tragedy. They make some of the best games ever. True pioneers in the gaming industry.
They tried. But sadly too many people prefered the playstation. Majority of them had little reason to back up their preference. Teenagers these days aren't all that smart. They go with the flow.

Seska
04-23-2002, 02:48 PM
Old guy that kept giving them money to go out of debt? You almost make it sound like a charity! :) Unfortunately I don't know what you are talking about, I always felt sega was a corporate business and run as such, and they took the route that would lead them to finacial success, which is why they did what they did.

I am sure the moment they released the DC, they decided it would be the last. When you are giant like Nintendo, Sega or Sony, the moment your console is out, you already begin to invest in the development of the next. I am sure Sega released the DC knowing it would be the last, they just cut their losses sooner than expected when they saw it wasnt going as well as planned.

At the end of the day, Sega do make great games. But they are a business, not a charity, and revenues will always be more important to a company than supporting its fanbase.

Well, except maybe for Looking Glass Studios, but we all know how that ended.

Alucard
04-23-2002, 02:50 PM
We definately do indeed..

A big fat SCREW YOU EIDOS!!!