PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Source Code Thief Speaks!

Nindalf
10-10-2003, 08:54 AM
I didin'y bother going through all those 359 HL2 threads so not sure is this being mentioned in one of them. Besides, we sure need more Half Life 2 threads!

According to several Half-life related websites and HL related IRC chatrooms word is the thief who stole the Half-Life 2 source code from Valve is threatening to release the entire source code. Here is his/her statement:

"To all those saying HL2 was delayed because of the hacking action, ill just remind you that what was leaked is what Valve has, nothing more and nothing less, so its pretty good to understand it wasnt finished yet. Also I'd like to point out the E3 [demo] was one big fake by Valve. Ever tried to kill that soldier in physicstown ? Notice the door will still get kicked ? No scripted sequences ?

To everyone saying this is no Beta: I'd like to point out that THIS is what you wanted Valve to release on 9/30/03, theres no such thing as a much better release in Valves network! "

To Valve: I suggest you stop lying to your customers about how much was stolen/compromised, or I'll have to release everything just to prove my point. And you know what you got, as I do."
Do you think he/she has a point???

Update: 10/9/2003
I've just been informed by one of my sources that some people involed in the security community who have been the source of comments made in many main stream print and online zine's (companies name / links witheld for reason). From what I gather, the names of suspects, IP's, and times, have been placed on a whiteboard in the valve offices, and according to one source, "several arrests have been made", though I have heard that at least one has infact been made from several of my co-workers and friends. Now wether this person was just a "helper" in the leak process, ie mirroring etc., or an actual part of the team, (the assumption is its more then just a one man job, actual targeting 2-3 "hackers") is still undetermined.

Now as you know I've been keeping a very close eye on this and I'm still waiting to hear from Value, so this new bit of information is intresting and a IrcSpy exclusive. I'll post more information about this as its leaked.

http://www.ircspy.com/comments.asp?mode=view&id=446

Valve= 0wned! :lol:

Serves them right for making so high system requirments....

insteefy
10-10-2003, 10:19 AM
my friend played it

Alucard
10-10-2003, 10:27 AM
I'd ignore that bit ofinfo. The hacker is just trying to sound like he knows everything. I hope they catch him soon. Faked E3 demo my arse. Anyone with half a brain knew the game was not coming out in spetember. Holiday season was the best time to release a game this big. The group wont be looking so full of themselves once in jail. And I bloody hope thats where they end up. Making us wait till april because of their stupid little ploy. Hope it was worth wasting your lives over for you retards.

Seska
10-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Well, while the "kicking the door in" event can be probably scripted (Valve were probably working to get the aI up to that level) the physics engine certainly cant, and that is more interesting to me than the AI.

Still, Valve is Valve and they would have delayed the game anyway, they jsut have the perfect excuse now to hack 6 more months at it. 6 more months during which they can optimise Nvidia performace which is probably what they were most worried about.

discomfort wings
10-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Seska
Well, while the "kicking the door in" event can be probably scripted (Valve were probably working to get the aI up to that level) the physics engine certainly cant, and that is more interesting to me than the AI.

Didn't Valve licensed the havok engine? So they didn't do much work over it, maybe just optimize it. The upcoming Max Payne 2 also uses havok. And from the trailers i see, havok engine looks really amazing.

Drunken Savior
10-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Why would he lie about the E3 demo being fake? I see no motive unless he wanted to just simply give Valve trouble, in which case releaseing the code worldwide would have been alot easier. I donno, Alucard, I'm not sure he's 100% BS, maybe atound 60, but definately not 100.

Cobi*
10-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Drunken Savior
Why would he lie about the E3 demo being fake?

why would valve lie?

sure, their game would be hyped up but in the end we'd have found out the truth anyway and it would have been at half life 2's expense.

with the more i hear about what's happening with valve the more i get the suspicion that it was valves competition who hacked into their servers and stole their code.

and what's this guy talking about "releasing the code" wasn't it already made available shortly after it happened?

Mikeru83
10-11-2003, 07:22 AM
Obviously when people take away other people's right to privacy, especially over a game, they are enemies to more than just the gaming community. They are a threat to the online community who wishes to stay unpoliced. Their intentions aren't even good enough to warrant any sympathy. I say toss them in jail.