PDA

View Full Version : need computer help, DVD and CD-RW drives aren't working right

spider-prime
10-08-2003, 09:54 AM
ok, for abouslely no reason, my CDRW and DVD drives are DEAD!

the computer knows they are there, but won't bring up the drives for me to use

and when I go to device manager, it says the registry for both drives are damaged or incomplete

I have a

Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616F

and

Samsung CD-RW SW-216B

and I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, does the same thing

please can someone help me

Alucard
10-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Sounds SHIFTY! Lets see.. What I would do is turn off your computer and unhook both drives out of your system. Then turn it on. I'm sure turning it on is a bit redundant, but I would do it anyway. After you turn it off again hook up 1 of the drives. Make sure you check the setting the little pin is on at the back of the drive. Your HD should be set to like primary master. So set one of the drives to secondary master or something. Then turn it on. IF your system picks it up then turn it off and hook the next one in and check the pin first again. Maybe pull it out so the system boots it up into whatever spare port it has or just set it to secondary slave. See if this works.

spider-prime
10-08-2003, 10:31 AM
nope no worky

maybe if I can find some drivers for it on the net

maybe that would fix them :confused:

Alucard
10-08-2003, 10:59 AM
Try having just 1 hooked up and go into your bios when its loading. See if you can set it to its own setting there. Should be in the boot up section. IF it picks it up then its reading it. Will be a good first step.

sin75
10-08-2003, 05:15 PM
I don't trust Samsung at all . Maybe you guys want to learn from me. I got a 21" Samsung Plano TV and found out later it doesn't support low resolution signal so my PSX,Saturn and some DC games won't work with it. I read from other forum that a guy with a Samsung Plano TV is having trouble running it with his Sony DAV or something.

My current 17" Samsung PC monitor isn't working properly with my new AMD PC also, sometimes the color isn't displayed correctly. Those salesperson always recommend Samsung products where I live, I was an idiot for trusting them. Take my advise don't buy Samsung products! :mad:

spider-prime
10-08-2003, 05:38 PM
oh I know what you mean sin, I have a samsung monitor too

you have to install some special software to fix that

took me like 4 months to figure that out hahaha

its something like trucolor software

but I got my drives fixed

but guess what, my little brother who knows FUDGE ALL about computers figured it out

MS has all drivers from my computer backed up every week I guess

and he just backed them up today and they work again

so now they work again

I HAVE NO CLUE!!!!

Alucard
10-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Good to hear you fixed your problem!

sin, why didn't you just take the tv back when you found out about this problem? And thats sorta strange because Samsung are one of the best tv makers out. Perhaps its the type of cable connection you're using. I know sometimes things like SCART/S video/ composite, all work differently at times.

sin75
10-09-2003, 02:23 PM
spider-prime: you have to install some special software to fix that

do you know what the software is called or can I find it in the Samsung website?btw. the screen would turn purple, or something like rainbow color, is that the same problem you're have too?

Alucard, I thought my Saturn broke down when I bought the TV because it works fine with my PS2 until sometime later when I got a PS1(I bought my PS2 first before I got a PSone!). So I cannot get a refund because it's already months after I purchase the TV. btw this is a compatibility issue not a faulty issue.
No, I have to disagree with you that Samsung makes one of the best TV judging from consumer's responses on other messageboard. It's like saying Pizza Hut's one of the best pizza makers in the world, if you have tasted real pizza made by Italian you would know it's all just the marketing.

Alucard
10-09-2003, 03:13 PM
I think if you want to compare something to pizza hut then you should pick SONY. Their tvs are more marketting and less quality :D

When I mentioned the cables I didn't mean as in faulty. I meant that certain cables have different effect sometimes. Take Seska for example. He once had trouble getting his DC to show up in colour on his Louvre<sp> tv. THE best TV maker in the world. Obviously it wasn't a defect or the tvs would have been recalled, and since working in retail for a few years in the past, I would have heard of it. Turns out he had to use a SCART cable to make the colour appear.

I'm going to assume that you live in America and so SCART aint really an option. I'm not saying my word is gold, but I havent heard of this problem in Australia. I'm pretty sure its just somethng you have to do to make it work. All tvs are made with the same tube and technical blahblah stuff. I'll see what I can dig up. Unless you have actual word from Samsung who say that specific model is faulty. Though if it is and why they didn't recall it would be strange to me. Either way I'll look around and see if I can find anything.

Actually if you can, I really would like the model number of the tv. Otherwise I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. :spinface:

spider-prime
10-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by sin75
spider-prime: you have to install some special software to fix that

do you know what the software is called or can I find it in the Samsung website?btw. the screen would turn purple, or something like rainbow color, is that the same problem you're have too?

yeah its called SyncMaster

I have it around here somewhere on CD but thats what mine did too I was like what cheap monitors till I released int he box was this CD so once I installed it and restarted, it went away

sin75
10-10-2003, 05:06 PM
spider-prime, that's a driver cd not some special software. It's blue in color right? I installed an WinXP driver from the Samsung site, hope the problem'll go away.

Why would you want to know the model number Alucard?, since I'm planning on getting a new 28" TV sometime later it wouldn't make any difference anyway even if I got a replacement. It's a 21" Samsung Plano CRT TV if you want to know, and I wouldn't recommend it or any other Samsung product to anyone because of my and other's experience( that I read from other messageboard). I want ppl to know that I don't recommend their products because of my experience of it being defect/incompatible not some assumptions/opinion. I got :-
- 17" Samsung Syncmaster 753s PC monitor
Problem 1) Color is messed up(red&purple) sometimes when switch on. Could be a driver problem but not sure.
2) There's a minor magnetic(N/S) pattern on the right side of the screen. This is very visible if the screen is displaying white.
- 21" Samsung Plano Pure Flat CRT TV (it's not even flat btw! you can see from the sides it's slightly curved!)
Problem 1) Color alignment problem on the top right side of screen.
2) Cannot display low resolution picture properly. Screen would jump up and down on most Sat/PSX and some DC/PS2/Xbox games that uses low res.
3) One of the A/V socket is broken/unusable.
- Samsung VCD player
Problem 1) Sometime pictures would be halved if fastforward function is used.

spider-prime
10-10-2003, 08:26 PM
all drivers are software

but anyways

but yeah the CD is blue

but after I installed it, it made the monitor's colors work so the drivers for you should work and if they don't go to their techsupport and spot them a email, I also did that with my CD rom drives and they gave me a great answer to fix it again if it ever happens again

pretty fast techsupport too, 2 hours I sent the email too

Alucard
10-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Like I said, I've been in retail and Samsung is very popular and very good. Its not a cheap brand. Its up there with Panasonic. And I wouldn't listen to people on the boards. Thats not always 100% method of info. Like this game that came out for the PC a few months back, Europa 1502 or something.. All of them complaining that the game crashes all the time and that it needs to be patched. The developers said it doesn't crash and to check their systems. Had people mouthing off and saying they would never buy another game from them again. I mean dozens of people. I went off and changed my video drivers and OMG the game wouldn't crash anymore. Thats just an example btw, not saying people on boards are ALWAYS wrong.

The model number would help me in contacting the Samsung team and asking them specifically of that brand TV. The size doesn't tell me too much. Like I said, the problem you say can't be normal because all TVs are made by the same standard design. But if you're planing to buy a new tv then no point really. Definately go for a Panasonic. Stay clear from Sony. Its your warning from me!

sin75
10-11-2003, 11:05 AM
What's wrong with Sony TV? Fill me up on why ppl should avoid Sony branded TVs?

Alucard
10-11-2003, 11:38 AM
Well for one, they aren't the best tv. Brands like Louvre, Grundig, and Phillips all out class Sony. The other thing is Sony is far too high in price, and less in features then its opponents. Put a Panasonic TV side by side to a Sony and it'll look the same. The other thing is a Panasonic will LAST you. Sonys have a slight problem of dying. Obviously not everything they make dies, but they seem to have a higher ratio. Plus good luck getting much from their useless customer service.

Panasonic are my first pick if you plan to spend money int he area of a Sony TV. If money isn't an option then but one of the other 3 brands I mentioned.