PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 Source Code Leaked

discomfort wings
10-02-2003, 09:04 PM
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10692

Bad news for Valve. HL2 multiplayer is gonna be filled with cheaters/hacks. :crazy: I heard the source code even included CD-Key generator system.

Renegade X
10-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by snocat
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10692

Bad news for Valve. HL2 multiplayer is gonna be filled with cheaters/hacks. :crazy: I heard the source code even included CD-Key generator system.

They could change all that before it's released you know... after all we don't even know WHEN it's going to be released.

Cobi*
10-02-2003, 10:03 PM
this is the worst news ever!

from the gaming-age.com
http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2003/10/2-10

UPDATE:
Valve Software?s Gabe Newell has confirmed the source code leak?s authenticity, and issued the company?s stance on the recent events, on the HalfLife2.net message boards.

Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.
Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

September 30th came and went without the promised release of Valve Software?s Half-Life 2, sending gamers into a frenzy of speculation regarding the delay.

As if the company didn't have enough to deal with, reports from across the community that a torrent file containing the Half-Life 2 source code is available. Several confirmations have users downloading and examining the source code, and while compiling the code won?t result in people being able to play the game, the effects of this leak are potentially devastating to Valve Software's plans.

Essentially, the source code means that all of the technology developed for the game has become an open playing field for the rest of the world to look at, study and quite possibly replicate. Elements like the Havoks Physics Engine are crucial features the developer has been tweaking for the past four years ? and now anyone (and any developer) with a broadband connection can make use of it.

For gamers, the source code gives cheaters a head start on ways to circumvent Half-Life 2?s security measures.

Interestingly, though, the leak seems to indicate the multi-player component of Half-Life 2 may have been the long delayed Team Fortress 2.

Valve Software has made no official comment on the leak, but one is expected before the day is out.

-- Patrick Klepek

ogami
10-02-2003, 10:15 PM
How can a big company like Valve has such low security protection?

or blame MS for making Outlook so easy to hack?

Alucard
10-03-2003, 02:22 AM
They're not blaming Outlook. They're saying it was done and it seems that way. blah, why couldnt this happen to Bungie or someone. Why Valve. Hope they find the person or people who did this and lock them up for a long time.

Mikeru83
10-03-2003, 03:11 AM
For some reason, I'm actually entertaining the idea that some nVidia freak got angry at Valve and decided to mess with them.

More or less, this was done with intent to do harm to Valve developement or business wise. I can not come up with a single reason why it would be productive to release source code of the game, especially if it's less than a few months before the release. Not to mention the fact that Valve supports the mod community.

Axe Wielding Nut
10-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
why couldnt this happen to Bungie or someone. Why Valve.

shouldn't happen to anyone alu, but i'll just pretend that comment was a joke

all the hackers did was delay this game further for Valve to revise the source code to make the old one obsolete, it all goes at the expense of the gamers, it was a stupid move if they really thought that they could get a batch of cheats or CD keys generators ready for the release...

discomfort wings
10-03-2003, 02:00 PM
The source code was a month old already. Hope valve's loss would be insignificant enough to not cause another delay.

But with the source code floating around, any other company can read the source and understand the technique and tricks used. Therefore benefitting us by creating better games :D

Still, a sad news for valve though. :crying:

Alucard
10-03-2003, 02:41 PM
Update: An email transcript dated the 27th of September (that I won't link to) highlights security flaws in Valve's operations, and mentions that some members of Valve were pushing for a peer-to-peer distribution method for Half-Life 2 shortly before release, in the hope of not crippling the direct download servers, and leaving Steam customers without their game.

In the email, the owner of a Half-Life 2 fan site tricked another Valve employee into thinking he was someone else, and then got confidential information from him. Significantly, the Valve employee stated that they - at the time - had no email verification software, and so emails could be faked by a skilful hacker. Presumably security has now been tightened.

discomfort wings
10-03-2003, 05:32 PM
I read about that but people were saying the email is fake. I dont know.

Current users of Steam must be cautious. Hackers could read the source code and obtain its structure and abuse it to gather credit-card, and other information from users. Or even implement some kind of key-logger to your system through steam.

Nindalf
10-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Okay, I just quickly glanced through the thread and didin't notice this, but Half Life 2 has been delayed till April 2004.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=3568878

Sucks for you super PC owners!

Alucard
10-07-2003, 12:21 PM
"A third of the source code was stolen. It's serious because it forces us to delay the launch of the game by at least four months, that is to April 2004. Just the time to rewrite parts of the game," VU Games president of international operations Christophe Ramboz told daily Les Echos in its Tuesday edition."

Bloody hell. This is why I would have liked it to happen to another game like Doom 3 or whatever, cause I couldn't give a toss about those games. I was looking forward to this one alot. blah. April. Hope they catch you mister source stealer.

insteefy
10-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Valve got pwned, lol