PDA

View Full Version : Buying a DVD-R Drive around Xmas time

Drunken Savior
10-01-2003, 05:52 AM
I'm putting together my own PC around Christmas time, and one of the requirements is that is MUST have a reliable external DVD-R Drive. So I got a few questions because I know nothing about the computer market and how it likes to act around Christmas time.

1) Will External DVD-R Drives go down in price after Christmas?
2) If no, when do you forsee them dropping in price?
3) What companys should I trust? Avoid?
4) I'm choosing Extnernal mostly because I want to be able to move it easily from PC to PC, namly friends PC to get large ammount of media from their computers. In addition, I'd like to be able to use the drive many times down the line in any computers I may use in the future. That's the logic I'm using. What do you think about that?

So far, the one that I like most is the Sony DRX-510UL External DVD+RW/+R Writer. Have you guys heard anything about that?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Alucard
10-01-2003, 06:11 AM
External is something I'm not completely used to. But usually they are the last thing to go in price. They might get a slight decrease after christmas, but who knows. And if you plan to buy a DVD-R, then I would recommend PIONEER. They are the best and fastest. If they have an external one available, grab that and ignore the Sony. Sony is in the bottom half of brands I'd go for.

Joe Redifer
10-01-2003, 07:07 AM
Not sure if they have external models, but Pioneer rocks. If there is such a thing as an external ATA case that lets you add any ATA device to it, then you could pop in the Pioneer A06. If you are going to be moving files, I recommend DVD-RW discs. Some people complain that it takes forever to finalize or write the lead-out track on a DVD-RW disc, but once it starts to write the lead out, just let it do it for a few seconds and then cancel and pop the disc out. It'll be fine. DVD-RW discs also erase quickly.

discomfort wings
10-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Not sure about external neither...but Pionner :cool guy:

it goes around 165+- at www.allmediaoutlet.com

Pioneer's A07 will include 8x DVD-R and 8x DVD+R burning if your willing to wait. By that time, prices of other models will probably be lowered.

Here is a good source for finding other DVD related information http://forums.afterdawn.com/

SpaceManSpiff
10-03-2003, 12:37 PM
I was talking to this guy at a computer store tthe other day. He said that for most people it is useless to get a dvd-/+rw because it is illegal to d/l movies, and most dvds have stuff on them so you cant copy them to prevent pirating. The only reason I can see to have one is to make home movies.

Alucard
10-03-2003, 12:57 PM
Theres alot of reasons for having one. Might aswell say all CDRWs are not needed because downloading movies is illegal. He's a bit silly to be saying that. I know I've got dozens of CDs around with backups of alot of crap, mainly files and scans and blah. All that for 1 DVD would be quite nice. Theres heaps of reasons to have one.

SpaceManSpiff
10-03-2003, 01:02 PM
you can do that with a dvd-r, no reason to get a dvd-rw.

Joe Redifer
10-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Well I don't think you can get DVD-R without the RW nowadays. An RW disc is a bit more expensive, but you can use it hundreds of times if moving data is your thing. So in the long run you save some $$$ unless you want archival backups.

Seska
10-03-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by SpaceManSpiff
I was talking to this guy at a computer store tthe other day. He said that for most people it is useless to get a dvd-/+rw because it is illegal to d/l movies

Here in Spain the speed limit on any highway is 120 km/h. Any vehicle on the road travelling above that speed is breaking the law.

I was under the impression, however, that most decent cars go WAY over that. Curious, is it not? :D