PDA

View Full Version : Videogame Sales to Top $31 Billion This Year

Black Ace
06-24-2002, 10:07 PM
LONDON (Reuters) - The video games industry is on track for a record year in 2002, with global sales projected to increase by 12 percent to $31 billion, a new report by British research firm Informa Media Group said on Monday.

The popularity of new video game consoles, including Microsoft's Xbox, Sony's PlayStation 2 and Nintendo's GameCube, is contributing to the torrid growth.

Steep competition has forced the three console makers to engage in an aggressive price war in the U.S., Asia and Europe for their 128-bit machines in Europe, stoking record demand.

Combined console and hardware sales will account for $22 billion, or nearly 70 percent of the market in 2002.

In the past decade, home video games sales have soared, creating a market that now rivals film and music as the most popular entertainment past-times.

By year end the three manufacturers will have sold cumulatively 70.4 million so-called next-generation consoles. Sony accounts for 69 percent, with the sale of 48.4 million PlayStation 2 units.

Nintendo is expected to have sold 15.1 million GameCubes with Microsoft selling 6.9 million Xboxes, the study said. GameCube and Xbox made their debut in the U.S. and Japan last year, a year after Sony's PlayStation 2.

"The assumed launch of new console hardware in 2005 and 2006, and the resultant software boom, will keep the market buoyant," the study reads. "The global market is forecast to peak again in 2008, with revenues of $40 billion."

Conversely, sales of PC games plus hand-held games and hardware are showing signs of weakness. Groups' sales are expected to dip by a combined 8.5 percent to $8.5 billion this year.

Meanwhile, sales in the nascent categories of online, mobile phone and interactive television games is expected to double this year to $873 million, Informa Media Group said.

The sale of mobile, online and interactive TV games is expected to rise to 54 percent by 2010, the group added.

Comments?

Penance
06-25-2002, 01:58 PM
Nintendo estimated that they would sell 12 million units of Gamecube this year. So this is good news for them. And the Videogame industry has been making more money then the Movie Industry for a while now. Now they're going to be a bigger part of the picture. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS2 sales caught up with PSx sales. Maybe even surpassing it.

Anyone know how much the SNES sold?

ATMA
06-25-2002, 06:50 PM
Funny thing: With piracy the game industry is still growing...
and they will grow in the near future!! odd isn't ??

Overlord
06-25-2002, 06:54 PM
Piracy is always overexgeserated(sp?) though.

Penance
06-25-2002, 09:00 PM
The majority of the gamers don't pirate. Theres more casual gamers today then ever before. PC is the most pirated system.

grahf
06-26-2002, 09:42 AM
And yet there are only two major news publications providing vital industry headlines. Add to the fact that those two publications now require a membership deal to "fully" receive the contents, do I even need to say what's wrong here?

30 billions dollars and they can't spare a single 1000 bucks for bandwidth...unbelieveable.

06-27-2002, 02:56 PM
Hey, Penance, who is the girl in your icon?

ATMA
06-27-2002, 03:00 PM
Check FINAL FANTASY CORNER somewhere on page 12-->24 you should be able to see the info about that girl !!!

Overlord
06-27-2002, 10:41 PM
ATMA:
Check FINAL FANTASY CORNER somewhere on page 12-->24 you should be able to see the info about that girl !!!

It's at the bottom of Page 18.

Heres some info:

Birthday: October 24, 1981 ( yes, a Scorpion! )
Height: 5?0 am I tall or what?
Weight: 98 lbs. Don?t let that fool you, cuz I eat like a pig!
Measurements: 34B-24-35
Dress size: 1-2
Shoe size: 5 ?
Hair: Blond, for now! =)
Eyes: Dark Brown
Place of birth: Singapore
Ethnicity: Vietnamese, quarter French
Zodiac: Scorpio baby!
Hometown: For now Houston, TX
Turn-ons: Guys who smell good, have a good sense of humor, and confident.
Turn-offs: Cockiness, bad breath, immaturity, and no sense of humor.
Favorite Color: lavender
Favorite foods: Vietnamese and Chinese
Favorite song: Too many to list
Favorite store: Gucci
Worst pick-up line: Do you know who I am? Please!
Best pick-up line: Don?t say anything at all, just smile at me and walk by casually.
Hobbies: Extreme sports, singing, dancing, sex, and eating lots of chocolate?.oh yeah, shopping too!

Black Sugar
06-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Her name is Tila Nguyen, she's a import car model.

she soooo cute ^-^.....!

Overlord
06-29-2002, 09:25 AM
Me:
Hometown: For now Houston, TX

She's actually in South California now. That list is about a year old. There might be some other changes.

hootie17
07-13-2002, 12:04 AM
she i sstill a piece

xXx Beaver xXx
07-31-2002, 06:40 AM
i earn more than that on ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com) from my hentai sales.

just search for 'hardcore beaver hentai' and you will be sorted out. or just pm me.

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil