PDA

View Full Version : Building a Computer. Help!!!

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 02:10 AM
Hey Alucard, remember when I asked about building myself a computer, and you told me to talk to you when I had about $600? Well I have saved about a $1000, and would like to start building my computer and getting rid of this fossil im using right now. I have done some searching and have found everything for my computer. I would like your opinion on it all (at least the major components) and wether it would all work and go together. Anyone else is welcome to make comments and help me out too.:D

So, heres a list of everything I have found.

Tower (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=579110&Sku=DRG-M-BL-F)

Motherboard (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=587819&Sku=D452-2005)

Processor
(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=495335&Sku=CP2-XP28003BC)

RAM (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=544684&Sku=U10-4904&CatId=858)

Graphics Card (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=542037&Sku=P56-2710&CatId=318)

Power Supply (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=561177&Sku=P456-1004&CatId=106)

dvd/cd drive (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=578729&Sku=H24-2200%20P)

I already have everything else I need like a modem, Network card, monitor, speakers, etc. except for a cpu fan, but thats cheap.

all of this adds up to $885 (minus shipping), and I dont have to get the DVD/CD drive right away.

So what do you think, does it all fit together?

EDIT: I just found this on ebay, what do you think? barebone (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42012&item=3430150160)

EDIT2: If anyone knows of, or finds a place where I can get anything ive listed here cheaper, could you plz tell me.

Thankyou:)

Seska
09-15-2003, 05:16 AM
Dont even think about getting that DVD burner! If you want to burn DVDs, try getting a dvd-r and not a dvd+r. OR if you really wanna be able to burn dvd+r's, get a dual drive unit, like the Pioneer A06 (like the one I'm getting this week :D) OVer here in europe they are selling for like 200 euros, so I guess in the US they might be going for 50 bucks more than the unit you were going to get.

You should also consider getting an additional dvd unit just for reading cds/dvds, since you dont want to wear out/use your dvd/cd burner more than you have to. A cheap $20 pioneer drive should be good, plus pioneer carries a 1 year inhouse guarantee.

Also, your powersupply seems to be a bit overkill - you dont really need to have anything over 350 or 400 watt, but if you want it for the fancy light and case modding, well thats another thing. ;)

Otherwise you have a killer system there. *steals it* :eek:

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 05:22 AM
What is the difference between dvd-rw and dvd+rw?

And as far as the power supply goes, I just figured Id get the best one, just incase in the future if I needed to upgrade for some reason I wouldnt have too as much. But now im thinking of getting a case+power supply combo. Since that case there is all for looks anyways.

Edit: what did you think of the bundle on ebay?

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 05:29 AM
I think I will get this tower (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=384759&Sku=C455-6057%20S) instead. But if it says it fits a motherboard with a size of 32.5X27, will it fit a motherboard smaller than that?

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 06:21 AM
bah!, the more I look at stuff, the more questions I have.

What is the difference between PNY, Albatron, and XFX GeForce video cards, besides the price?

Seska
09-15-2003, 06:35 AM
Most cases come with their own powersuply, so you shouldnt really need to worry about getting an extra one. Jsut make sure that they ship the case with a decent psu, somethines they stick a 300w in there or a 250. You want to avoid that.

As for dvd-r vs dvd+r, think of it this way: most xbox and ps2 games are dvd-r, in other words, single layer 4.7 gig dvds. Dvd-r is a format that pretty much all dvd units can read. dvd+r however, is double layered so you can fit something like 9.4 gigs on a dvd+r (hence the "+") but at the cost of compatibility - only latest units and models can read dvd+r as its a new format. But its good for making backups of your DVD movies, even if yu may not be able to play them on your TV dvd boxset player, you could on your PC.

Also take in mind that dvd-r and dvd+r are different media, dvd+r being more expensive than dvd-r. However that may change in the future, as well as compatibility issues of dvd+r so since you are going to get dvd burner you might as well get a dual drive like the a06 so you dont have to worry about which dvd authoring format to choose.

As for the tower and mobosize, just make sure the tower is ATX compliant and you should be ok.

I am not sure how it is with the Grforce FX graphics cards, but the difference in perfroamnce between diferent brands of the GF4 cards was identical. Maybe the Winfast had a better heatsink than the PNY, but the perfoirmance was the same. Have a look at tomshardware.com, he probably has a listing of the differences.

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 06:48 AM
Thanks Seska, I found a dvd-/+rw/cd-rw for $60 more.

Someone once told me that there is no difference with dvd- and dvd+, pfft...shows what they know.

Joe Redifer
09-15-2003, 06:56 AM
DVD+R/W is not/can not be dual layered. DVD+R/W uses mixed characteristics of single and dual layer pressed DVD-Video discs in order to be compatible with existing players, hence it will not be possible to create a DVD+R/W disc with two layers. This also applies to other recordable DVD systems, such as DVD-R, DVD-RAM and DVD-R/W. No current recordable DVD format will offer dual layer discs.

Think of DVD+R/W and DVD-R/W more of VHS vs Beta. DVD-R/W is indeed more compatible as Seska says, despite what the DVD+R/W camp says... but hey... they are trying to get you to buy into DVD+R! Seska is also correct that DVD+R media costs more, though I have seen it come down. Definitely stick with DVD-R, but if you get a DVD+R recorder, make damned sure it can burn DVD-R's as well.

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 07:04 AM
-/+RW-r/+r-+dvd+cd-/+/-RW:yikes:

oh, and are those link I posted working? I tried to get to Tigerdirect.com but some weird message comes up, so I decided to use my link to get back there but the same thing happened?:crazy:

Provider error '80004005'

Unspecified error

/Errors/CatchError500.asp, line 115

...What the hell does that mean???

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

/Errors/CatchError500.asp, line 115

.....And now this???

:crazy:

Alucard
09-15-2003, 09:56 AM
I've got some serious issues with this places prices and limited items. Give me a little time and I'll see if I can find a better place.

Alucard
09-15-2003, 12:50 PM
ok.. I think I finally found a good place. Incase someone knows a better one then post it up. I dont live in America after all!

http://www.gameve.com

Thats the store I found. Basically these are the stuff I picked out.

CPU- AMD 2600, = $97.00

memory- KINGSTON 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 = $103.00

Motherboard-
ok, theres two I'd recommend. All depends what you feel like. One is red, the other is green. Thats basically my technical advice on it.

MSI KT6 DELTA-FIS2R = $131.00

DFI LP-NFII ULTRA = $159.00

Video card - PowerColor ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128M =$268.00

ok so for my listing there.. Everything is fairly straight forward. Kingston is excellent ram. 2600cpu is the best stop before the price flies up for 2700. MSI and DFI are both excellent boards. I selected the radeon card instead of the geforce for 2 main reasons. One is the only geforce card worth getting right now is the 5900. If you go with any other it'll either be too weak or too LOUD fan wise. And the 5900 is like $100 more then the radeon 9700pro, a card which is VERY good. Another big reason is Half Life 2 runs best with a radeon card. harhar.

Anyway, if you were to pick the more expensive board it would come to around just under $630. Select any tower from that site as they come with power supplies and stuff another $100 to the price. If you REALLY want a DVD burner you could get the Pioneer DVR-106D for $166. You'd then pay a slight bit more then you would at that other place, and the 9700 pro is like 2-3 times faster then the 5600 geforce. I would say wait till the end of the year if you wanted a DVD burner since recently Plextor brought out their 8x speed burner. So the other companies should be bringing out theirs aswell and so the 4x will become more cheaper. At least thats what I would do. But anyway, theres my selections.

I also found this site and its fairly cool. Though I thnk I prefer the other one.

http://www.freewaytech.com

Anyway, hope that helps some.

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Supports six memory banks using three 184-pin DDR SDRAMs.
? Supports up to 3GB memory size.
? Supports DDR400/DDR333/DDR266/DDR200 SDRAM
Note: PC3200 (DDR400) maximum 4 banks only.

What does that mean exactly?

Alucard
09-15-2003, 01:51 PM
It means it has 3 slots for memory, and you can stick 1gig chips into each if you wanted. The other part is the speed of the ram. 400/33/266. The boards listed are KT600, the new speed. Therefore a 3200/400 memory chip would be perfect.

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Would either of those two motherboards that you suggested fit in this ? ( I think I like the cheaper motherboard.)

tower (http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=429)

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 02:05 PM

Does this mean that I can only use 2 sticks of this kind of memory? And if so can I still fill the 3rd slot with a different kind?

Mishi
09-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by SpaceManSpiff

Does this mean that I can only use 2 sticks of this kind of memory? And if so can I still fill the 3rd slot with a different kind?

:heads up: i'm not a computer expert but..

i think to run dual channel which you can only use 2 if you use all 3 i dont think it will work. my mobo has 4 spots and i have to put them in the right ones to run dual channel

btw if you get512 sticks you really dont need more than a gig of ram HAHA!

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Mishi
btw if you get512 sticks you really dont need more than a gig of ram HAHA!

Good point.:big smile ....I just like to fill all the holes.:P

Video card - PowerColor ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128M =$268.00 -Alucard

damn, $268 :yikes: ..maybe I should just get the fx5900 for $295?

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 10:24 PM
Can anyone recommend a brand of cpu fans tend to make less noise?

Alucard
09-15-2003, 11:20 PM
The board will fit in any case. The you need to be a little careful with the FX5900. Alot of them have LOUD fans. I mean like turbine loud. Theres only 2 so far that are a little quieter. That would be the Leadtek for $329.00, and the much quieter better MSI $389.00.. So theres a bit of a price jump.

The best kind of CPU fan, well theres a few. You could probably go for the Volcano 11+ from Thermaltake, or just grab the Vantec Airflow. Whatever the new one is.

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 11:49 PM
Im thinking of getting a new HD too, so I sell the one I have now with the computer it is in. Is there any particular brand you like or prefer? The one I have now is a Maxtor 40 GB ATA 133, and is about 6 months old.

Mishi
09-16-2003, 12:23 AM
if you want to play half-life 2 i'd go with the 9700

take a look at the charts.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1863&p=1

SpaceManSpiff
09-16-2003, 02:28 AM
Well I dont really want to play half life 2, so I guess I dont even need one of the really good graphic cards, (at least not until something I want to play comes out that needs it, like maybe Tribes 3?) So now I think Ill just get a fx 5600 or an ati 9600. Anything is better than my current Geforce 2.:D

Seska
09-16-2003, 04:15 AM
If you want to go with a HD brand, go with Seagate - they have excellent customer services and guarantee services. Not a single HD I have had of theirs over the past has broken doown, and the only one that did (entirely due to my fault - but its a long story) I sent in to have replaced - thats how their warranty works. You send them your defect/broken HD and they replace it with a BRAND SPANKING NEW ONE or better one.

I sent them my 80gig one and got back a new 120. Yay Seagate! :D

Oh, and if I were you Id spend that extra bit more for ATI 9700 or a better FX card. Dont think of it as not wanting to play Half-Life 2, think of it as HL2 being the new engine we are going to see in the next generation of games, the same way Quake 3 was the main engine used for games for the past 3 years.

If you dont really care that mauch about great graphics on the upcoming games, get a Geforce 4 4200 ti (they are dirt cheap by now) and maybe a year down the line you can get a way better gfx card for HL2 and Doom 3 engine based games.

Alucard
09-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Seagate is the one I recommend also. And seriously, dont go for a 5600 if you're upgrading now. No point upgrading to a card thats technically almost 2 years old, but has a few extra features then the version before it. You may say you wont play HL2, but like Seska said, the engine will be in alot of games. Its going to be the standard thing. Otherwise stick with your geforce 2.

And dont worry about those benchmarks. nVidia claims the 50.-- detonators will be fixing the problem. I dunno, but we'll see at the end of the month. Plus the geforce cards play the Doom 3 engine better then the ATI ones. So its 50/50. Just go with the cheapest and powerful one. I'd say ATI.

SpaceManSpiff
09-16-2003, 02:16 PM
The reason I dont want to get a ATI9800 or FX5900 right now, is that by the time all those new games that support them come out, they might drop quite a bit in price. And I would stick with my GeForce 2, but I can barely play Tribes 2 on that plus many other games I wanna play right now. So I think Ill get a Geforce 4 because its really really cheap. How well would the Geforce 4 play the following games: Tribes 2, Diablo II, Battlefield 1942, C&c Generals, PlanetSide, and FFXI? These are games that I either have and dont run too well on my Geforce 2, and some are ones that I want to play.

Alucard
09-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Well thats the thing. A geforce 4 may be much cheaper, but those games will be out in the next couple months. If youhave enough money to buy a geforce 4 now and then sell it and buy an ATI9800 or such, then go for it. But it sounds kinda twitchy really. Cards dont drop in price because of games being released. They only drop if the next lot of powerful cards come along, and I'm not expecting this till next febuary. I would seriously say dont spend the extra money on a geforce 4.

As for would the card run those games, very easily. As long as your cpu is over 2gig you will be more then fine. Thats my current system at the moment and none of those games even jerk slightly.

Seska
09-17-2003, 06:09 AM
This is the card for you!

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/image.php/5e08eed6/bf3d2000.jpg

SpaceManSpiff
09-17-2003, 06:29 AM
I dont think I can afford that.:crying:

;)

sin75
09-17-2003, 07:00 AM
I read from a PC Chip magazine that did a test on hard disks brands and Western Digital got the best results, it reads and writes faster than other hard disks but slightly more expensive and abit noisy. Seagate was somewhere at the bottom of the top list. But I didn't trust those PC chip editors because their magazine is sponsored by Western Digital(so said the cover) and there's alot of Western Digital Hard Disk advertisement on it. But then I could be wrong.

Seska
09-17-2003, 08:06 AM
I'm sure that technically they probably might be faster - but when it coems to actually using the HD, as long as you are getting a 7200rpm one, its not going to matter a heck of a lot. And I always prefer silence to crrrrnkkcrrrnkcrrrrrrrrnkkkk nosies coming from my Pc. ;) I ahve to put my ear right next to the PC to hear the HD working. Another reason why I like seagate!

discomfort wings
09-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Search your prices at www.pricewatch.com

As for deals, you might find some good deals at:

www.slickdeals.net
or
anandtech's hotdeals forum
http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm?catid=40

There were constantly dell server/systems poping up for cheap(coupon, rebates, etc..). Just add purchase memory, videocard and any other accessories at your own. Then you're all set.

Now as for video card, im not sure if you should get the new geforce or radeon. Im anticipating the new half-life2, and based on the released benchmark, im deciding a purchase for radeon.

Hope you'll get the best deal out of your bucks.

discomfort wings
09-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Seska
If you want to go with a HD brand, go with Seagate - they have excellent customer services and guarantee services. Not a single HD I have had of theirs over the past has broken doown, and the only one that did (entirely due to my fault - but its a long story) I sent in to have replaced - thats how their warranty works. You send them your defect/broken HD and they replace it with a BRAND SPANKING NEW ONE or better one.

I sent them my 80gig one and got back a new 120. Yay Seagate! :D

:crying: My IBM 80gig died, i wanted to replace it using warranty but then IBM said now all HD manufacture had reduced their 3 year warranty to only 1 year. :irked"

Im looking for another HD, do you know if seagate reduce their warranty down to 1 year? When did you purchase and return it?

Thanks.

Joe Redifer
09-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Personally I've always had great luck with Maxtors, as have all of my friends here. I have one friend in Dallas who claims to have had lots of problems with them, however. This same guy also seems to have a lot of problems with AMD processors and prefers Intels, so I take what he says with a grain of salt, so to speak. I haven't tried Seagate, but I've heard good things. The IBM drives are a little shakey in my experience. Western Digital (are they still around?) were OK, but noisey. I haven't used one forever, though.

Alucard
09-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Maxtor is good. But last year and the year before the Seagate came out no1. But many magazines come out with different no1's so go fig. I would advise strongly against getting a Western Digital. I ended up buying one and in the 6months I had it the stupid thing wiped itself a good dozen times or so. I would have to reformat and reinstall windows twice a month. It would start getting some weird errors like I'd turn my system on sometimes and it would claim there wasn't any HD connected, so I'd have to reset and reset and hope it would come on. I never knew if it was my HD or the motherboard or something else. And everytime I contacted WD they would say if the tools on their site for testing HDs said there was no problem with the drive, then it must be something else. The forums at the time were filled with complaints and people trying to help each other for ages.

Finally they come out and say a certain model series was screwed from production. Took them 6months to figure this out. So I sent it back and they sent me a newer larger one, which I instantly sold to a friend since a month or so had passed by now I already had another HD in my system<seagate>. 2 months later my friend says he's having issues with it. He sends it back, they send a new drive, and he seems to be fine since then. Unless he didn't tell me anything. All I know is I avoid that brand like the plague. Others have no problems with it, but just going through a scandisc with one of those sounded like the thing was trying to turn itself inside out. Put my teeth on edge everytime.

sin75
09-18-2003, 04:18 AM
ughh! A very important post by Alucard, it looks like my assumption about Western Digital is abit correct. btw I got a broken 1gig Seagate(lasted for about 4 years) and my current almost still functioning 8 gig Seagate is having slow loading problems. Don't know if I would recommend it. Currently using Maxtor HDD and don't have enough experience to comment about it.
Anyone here got comments about CD/DVD rom drives?
Mine- never buy Creative CD rom drives, it's noisy and it breaks down fast!

Joe Redifer
09-18-2003, 06:08 AM
Personally I would avoid everything made by Creative Labs. Did you know that they purchased THX (the company) almost a year ago? Now THX means much less than it used to. As far as sound cards go, I have a Yamaha which I love. It is full duplex and works well enough for me. I don't need Dolby Digital on my computer so a digital out isn't required, at least for the time being.

By the way, does anyone even make non-full duplex sound cards anymore? That would suck not to be able to input and output sounds at the same time.

Seska
09-18-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by snocat
:crying: My IBM 80gig died, i wanted to replace it using warranty but then IBM said now all HD manufacture had reduced their 3 year warranty to only 1 year. :irked"

Im looking for another HD, do you know if seagate reduce their warranty down to 1 year? When did you purchase and return it?

Thanks.

I guess it depends on the drive, but generally warranties go only for one year now. At least thats how it is for Seagate over here. I returned mune about 5 months after purchasing, but it was due to my equiment that the thing screwed up. One of my IDE device power plugs had a loose contact so randomly it could shut off power to the HD and freeze the PC. After this happened a few times (and I finally realized what the problem was) the HD was pretty much dead after suffering the equivalent of ripping the power plug out of it while it was running.... about half a dozen times. :p

Alucard
09-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Pioneer is the best brand for DVD/writer. After that theres Teac and Plextor. But Pioneer is always the first choice.

Seska
09-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Also, Pioneer carries a one year inhouse warranty. Good stuff.

discomfort wings
09-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Sounds like Maxtor and Seagate has been everyone's recommendation. I plan on getting this Maxtor 160GB:

OfficeDepot has the Maxtor 160GB 8MB Cache Hard Drive for $140 - $20 coupon code 79253059 - $40 rebate = $80 w/ free shipping.

Rebate: http://rebates.teg-online.com/officedepot/rebate_print_frameset.asp?sku=447679

Thanks guys, :cool guy:

Go with a Pionner DVD-R burner, its very reliable. I got mine A04 a year ago and still working smoothly and get this, not a single coaster yet. My A04 writes in 1x speed then there were some hacked firmware to write 2x speed. The pionner dvd burners has a larger community for support if any problems shall arise.

sin75
09-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Why did you decided to buy a Pioneer DVD burner? Were you influenced by magazines then? Opinion from friends or what? What about CDr what brand would you recommend?
I heard that you can measure the quality of CDRs by the % reflection index. Is there a software that lets you check the reflection using a normal PC CD/DVD drive?

discomfort wings
09-19-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by sin75
Why did you decided to buy a Pioneer DVD burner? Were you influenced by magazines then? Opinion from friends or what? What about CDr what brand would you recommend?
I heard that you can measure the quality of CDRs by the % reflection index. Is there a software that lets you check the reflection using a normal PC CD/DVD drive?

I had done some research over at forums.afterdawn.com and seems like pionner a04 got great reviews everywhere...and my gf surprised me when she got it for my birthday.

Yeah I heard CDR/DVDR quality depends on the % of reflection but I lost the url where it listed some brands and its percentage.

For CDRs, I only get the good price deals at the moment. For dvdrs i use apple, fujifilm, princo, ritek.

I heard apple has the highest reflective rate while ritek comes close to second. Don't know about princo but it has the lowest price among all brands. I purchase fujifilm locally when im low on dvdr.

Alucard
09-20-2003, 03:29 AM
It was something about the stats for the Pioneer that made it the best aswell. Something about the read latency or blahblah. I remember seeing it all, but my brain forgets things over time. Decomposes. Its just that little bit more faster and a stack more reliable.

Dont worry too much about the reflection % for CDs. I used some standard stuff like TDK and Kodak, and at times real crap stuff I get off a friend. Most things will read them. Especially Pioneer. Some brands you REALLY gotta look out for, like Lite-On. Dont ever buy that crappy brand. Worst EVER.

Seska
09-20-2003, 06:21 AM
I got my Pioneer a06 this week, and Im mighty pleased with it. I had a lot of stuff on my HD I needed to back up, and from 7 dvds not a single coaster. I also burnt at 4x using Princo dvds - those are cheapest here. Installation was also smooth, plugged the unit in and XP picked it up with not a single problem.

As for CD media quality, go here (http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_cd-r80.shtml#80%20Minutes%20CD-R%20Quality) for a good breakdown on what media is good or not. That site also has a program you can download that analyzes your media and tells you what brand/fabric manufactured it. Traxdata, for example, is Ritek, and Imation are from Taiyo Yuden (among the best quality cds out there).

Nindalf
09-20-2003, 12:39 PM
So, heres a list of everything I have found.

Tower (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=579110&Sku=DRG-M-BL-F)

Motherboard (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=587819&Sku=D452-2005)

Processor
(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=495335&Sku=CP2-XP28003BC)

RAM (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=544684&Sku=U10-4904&CatId=858)

Graphics Card (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=542037&Sku=P56-2710&CatId=318)

Power Supply (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=561177&Sku=P456-1004&CatId=106)

dvd/cd drive (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=578729&Sku=H24-2200%20P)

Eh... Just curious, when you have all that, you just glue them together or something? Like those little Warhammer thingy orcs, glue RAM into Graphic Card, then screw Processor to hole D, then take Motherboard and stich it to CD drive...

And if that question was answered somewhere in this thread, then I did not notice it because I'm too lazy to read.

Alucard
09-20-2003, 02:13 PM
It is perhaps a tad more difficult then turning on your console and slipping the game in. Those things are made for people with sub par intelligence. :D Go the extra yard, be rewarded with great games that aren't even remotely resembled on any console.

SpaceManSpiff
09-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by N?n-in-Eilph
Eh... Just curious, when you have all that, you just glue them together or something? Like those little Warhammer thingy orcs, glue RAM into Graphic Card, then screw Processor to hole D, then take Motherboard and stich it to CD drive...

hmm glue, never thought of that. Ive always used duct tape.:rolleyes:

discomfort wings
09-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by N?n-in-Eilph

And if that question was answered somewhere in this thread, then I did not notice it because I'm too lazy to read.

Hmm, you don't glue, fit motherboard into case, plug everything onto motherboard.

SpaceManSpiff
09-22-2003, 05:06 AM
Well, After all my searching I think Ive found the system ill buy.

Motherboard (http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1319) http://www.gameve.com/store/catalog/MB-MSI-028.GIF
Its the one Alucard Suggested, and it looks good :)

CPU (http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=704) I think Alucard suggested this as well.

RAM (http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1012) Alucard suggested this brand, same type I planned on getting though.

Graphics Card (http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1343) http://www.gameve.com/store/catalog/VC-MSI-0035.GIF I took Seska's Advice on this one. Instead of getting a fx 5600. Hopefully this will run the games I want to play now well. I will upgrade to the 5900 or better later when there are better games out that I want to play.

Case (http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=429) http://www.gameve.com/store/catalog/csra268wspmod.gif Eh, I got this all for looks, with a 400 watt power supply, and a cool little neon light.:haha:

dvd/cd drive. Ill keep what I have now and wait till the new ones come out and the old ones go down in prcie at the end of the year as Seska said. And if it doesnt happen then, oh well.

Monitor. Ill use the one I have now. Same for HD.

It may not be the best system, but its much better than the one I have now and its only costing $550. I just bought a car, so Ill have to wait a while to purchase this, and some of the items are one back order,:crazy: so it may be a while till I finally have it.

Here is a comparison of the new system vs. the old.

NEW ................................................OL D

CPU: Amd athlon xp 2600+.................... Amd K7 800MHz (The big kind)

RAM: DDR 3200 400 FSB etc. ....................Crappy ol SD ram

Graphics: GEforce 4 Ti 4200 64mb ....................GEforce 2 32mb

Motherboard: GOOD!! ............................................BAD!!

Thanks too everyone for the help especially Alucard and Seska. But everyone that posted was very helpfull. Well, except for Nin, but when is he ever helpfull. Hmm I went to put a winking smiley but the one I went for was gone, now there is only one and some new ones too haha. So Ill just leave a:lol: to show that I was j/k Nin:haha: .

Seska
09-22-2003, 06:08 AM
That GFX should do you good enough for Quake 3 engine based games (like the upcoming and excellent Call of Duty) and even for some of the newer games like Homeworld 2 and Max Payne 2 if you put your detail settings low. I'm also gonna wait on early to mi-next year to get me a better card, but right now 400 euro for a radeon 9700 pro is just not gonna happen. :p

Also, with Half-Life 2 having been out for a while we will be able to judge if the Nvidia or ATI chipsets are better suited for the engine. Right now it seems to be leaning heavily toward ATI. Time will tell!

Oh, and spacemen, you ahvent made any mention at all on what kinda cooling you intend to use. A frend of mine recently bought a new PC, a Tbred 2400. He used to scoff at me for spending 40 bucks on a HSF, so he went and bought a crappy $10 thing. He sure wasnt laughing when the CPU core ehat climbed up to 69 degrees C on idle. :p He now got a bare minimum ThermalTake and even so he gets 54 degrees.

Personally I use an ALPHA Pal Heatsink, it was lovely thing for my 1600 Palomino, but now its just good enough to keep my 2400 tb at 57 degrees on load. Since winter is coming Im not too worried about temp right now, as I dont think on load I will ever get to exceed 60 degrees, but I'm planning to get a Tt Silent Boost at some point - it has an excellent performance and low noise output, apparently it can keep even a 2800 at a nice and cool 37 degrees on idle, and around 42 on load.

Have a look on Ebay if you want to get one, they retail for about $25.

sin75
09-22-2003, 07:51 AM
Do you need a special hardware/software to know the temperature of the CPU? Never heard about that before.

Alucard
09-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Theres a few software programs that test it. Like the excellent SiSoft Sandra program. That tests every aspect of your system.

Spaceman, if you're going for the ti4200, I would really really recommend getting the 9600 instead, mainly because Half Life 2 sucks hardcore with nvidia cards. Very sad.

Seska
09-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by sin75
Do you need a special hardware/software to know the temperature of the CPU? Never heard about that before.

Most moderm motherboards now come with a thermal diode right under the CPU to take the core temperature, and another thermal diode elsewhere that reads the teperature of the system (also known as boad temp.) Sisoft is the program I also personally use to measure temp, but there are others and plenty around, some even minimize to your system tray and give you a permanent reading thats always in sight.

You can also check your temp settings by going into your bios (hit the del key when booting up) under a section called "PC Health settings" or something like that. Other than being able to check the temp of your system and cpu, you can adjust the settings at which heat you want to be warned with a beep, at which temp you want the system to shut down and how fast you want your fans to spin.

Healin
09-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Act I wouldn't get a GF4 Ti now unless I'm really on a budget. U can try to get a 9500 Non pro and chances are if u get v 25 you stand a pretty good chance of tweaking it to a 9700 wif softmod and hardmod it to enable the 8 pipelines. Else go gor a 9500pro or 9600pro.

You may think that the GF4 Ti is able to sustain ur games till u can afford to upgrade to 5900u but wouldn't it make more sense to get a DX 9 card now and upgrade later? HL2 is coming and so is a host of other games. Ignore if are planning to upgrade in like 3 - 6 months.

Personally I do a yearly upgrade. Sometimes I upgrade portions of my rig as and when i have extra cash. Much like what Alucard does eh if I don recall wrongly. :)

If I posted any wrong info pls correct me.

SpaceManSpiff
09-22-2003, 07:32 PM
Heres what I has as far as cooling.

CPU fan (http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=513) http://www.gameve.com/store/catalog/v9a1365.gif
CPU shim thingy (http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=249) http://www.gameve.com/store/catalog/FANA1215.GIF

Ill get some copper cases for my ram eventurally and maybe a HD fan. AS far as a system fan I just thought I wait till I got everything and see what it says in the manuals for cooling.

Alucard: can you list all of the games you know of that are coming out in the next 6 months that need a 5900 or 9800?

Alucard
09-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Its not that you need the card to play them. ITs graphical features you may not be able to use though. Imagine bump-mapping for example. When it first came out they would show gorgeous water, etc etc. If your card dont support this feature then you'd have flat shiny water. Some games that will suppport it are Doom 3, Half Life 2, and by my reckoning, Thief 3, X-2,..um..theres a few games. I can't recall. You really really should go for the 9600 if you plan to upgrade later. Otherwise grab a 9700pro and live with that for about a year or two happily. You dont REALLY have to buy a 9800. For now that card is over kill.

Very good choice in brand name for fan, but I'd recommend you get something more powerful like the Thermaltake silent boost likeSeska said. That thing is quiieeeeeet and can go up to 3.4gig cpu.

SpaceManSpiff
09-22-2003, 09:27 PM
How about this one? It says its silent and costs more, but they both say 17dB at 1,300 rpm. And 48dB at 4,800 rpm.
Fan (http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=514) http://www.thermaltake.com/images/products/heatsink/v9Mod.jpg

How man decibals at what rpms am I looking for?

Alucard
09-23-2003, 12:32 AM
The important thing you should be looking at is what the fan is good for, and the details say up to +2600. Thing is thats what you're buying now. You want something much much beter then this. This is the fan I'm talking about..

http://www.11cb.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Product_Code=199213&Category_Code=CF

http://www.11cb.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/a1889.gif

Found this place and it claims free shipping. Might be something to look into.

Mishi
09-23-2003, 02:44 AM
whats the american dollar vs euro ?

400 euro for a radeon 9700 pro

i think its about $200 US. my cousin just got one.
--
my specs
--
MOBO: Asus p4c800 deluxe
2x 512 corsair xms 3200 ddr
p4 2.6c
radeon 9800 pro
120gig hd
--
ps. my friend built an identical system except he has a barton 1500 overclocked to i think 3200 "forgot but they did something physically to the chip" it runs faster than mine >< and was $300us cheaper.

www.anandtech.com take a look at the radeon vs fx on HL2
the difference is amazing.

SpaceManSpiff
09-23-2003, 03:24 AM
aah thanks Alucard, Ill get that fan instead.

Mishi: $1 U.S. dollar = 0.871014 Euros. So that 9700 pro would cost more in dollars than Euros, not less.

Alucard
09-23-2003, 04:07 AM
http://www.xe.net/ucc/

Thats a cool site for currency converters. Btw Mish, I'd recommend getting a faster CPU because right now yours is bottle necking your video card. You're getting maybe 1/4 of what the card can give you. I'm sure that percentage isn't accurate, but its around there.

Seska
09-23-2003, 05:14 AM
A 1500 overclocked to 3200? Sounds like an exageration to me unless you meant a 2500. That I'll believe. :D

SpaceManSpiff
09-25-2003, 04:39 AM
Yikes, I better get my new computer fast. As loud as the one I have now is, it just got louder and started making these clicking noises.:yikes:

Seska
09-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Woops.

Clicking HD=imminent death.

At the end of its life, my HD clicked AND chirped. Like a bird. :D

SpaceManSpiff
09-26-2003, 02:22 AM
It only made clicking noises for a few minutes. I dont think it is coming from the HD but the cpu fans. My HD is less than a year old.:crazy:

Mishi
09-26-2003, 05:12 PM
2.6c ? bottlenecking?

2.6 GHZ with hyperthreading is too slow ? are you nutz

yeah it was a 2500 barton overclocked to 3200 STABLE! and runs pretty cool.

Alucard
09-27-2003, 05:11 AM
oops, my bad. My eyes saw the p4c800 and locked onto that. Yeah, 2.5gig is gorgeous.

SpaceManSpiff
09-29-2003, 02:18 AM
Ok, I have decided on everything but the damn video card. So Alucard, can you send me some link to video cards that are better than the geforce 4 ti4200, and cost $200 or less. If you find something that is a big step up from the $200 or less ones and is a good value, then I can go probably $250 for those i guess.

Mishi
09-29-2003, 02:28 AM
the radeon 9700 pro is $233 american according to pricewatch.com

Mikeru83
09-29-2003, 05:01 AM
Use this benchmark of video cards by Tom's Hardware. (http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030714/vga_card_guide-13.html)

Price Watch lists a better performing GeforceFX 5600 Ultra 128mb for $126.

If you're willing to go up to $250, wait till Christmas and purchase a Radeon 9800 Pro.

Alucard
09-29-2003, 10:11 AM
I'd recomend the 9600 over the 5600FX. But like Mishi said, $230 for the 9700 pro is a definate must. There is a HUGE jump in performance from the 9600 to 9700. But ofcourse you need to make sure its the PRO version. Not the SE or whatever. I would say go the extra yard and grab the 9700. You'll thank yourself a year down the track. Ofcourse if you're feeling really greedy, then save up for the 9800pro to be happy for many years :D

SpaceManSpiff
09-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Mikeru83

If you're willing to go up to $250, wait till Christmas and purchase a Radeon 9800 Pro.

Ya, but then I would be stuck with my geforce 2 until then.:crazy:
Im too impatient.

SpaceManSpiff
09-29-2003, 07:19 PM
which one of these is better?

http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1298 http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1299

Mikeru83
09-30-2003, 12:33 AM
The Radeon 9800 Non-Pro is better than the 9600 Pro. Here's the evidence. (WARNING GRAPHIC INTENSIVE) (http://www.ixbt-labs.com/articles2/radeon/sapphire-4.html?73916#p22)

Go here to see a buyer's guide to current graphic cards. (http://www.community.tomshardware.com/forum/showflat.m?Cat=&Board=comp_graphics&Number=505591&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5) Remember that the guide is based on a lot of factual evidence, but also quite a bit of the writer's opinions.

The extra 128 mb of memory might not actually help a 9600 Pro card. Note the message for midrange card buyers. It states FX5600, but I feel it applies to all cards.

------

Okay, here's the REALLY confusing part. Should you go for a 9800 Non-Pro, be VERY WEARY of what model it is. Production on the regular 9800 Non-Pros have stopped and a new version called the 9800 Non-Pro SE is being sold. These SE versions are actually WEAKER than 9600 Pros. Evidence is in the same link posted at the top.

Listed from strongest to weakest:
Radeon 9800 Non-Pro
Radeon 9600 Pro
Radeon 9800 Non-Pro SE

Alucard
09-30-2003, 01:07 AM
Ignore any card that has over 128mb. The 256 ones for some obscure reason usually run slower. I forget the exact reason. And if you plan to buy the 9800 non Pro, then just spend the same amount and go for the 9700pro. I think the 9700pro is more powerful. I get twitchy if the PRO label isn't added in.

SpaceManSpiff
09-30-2003, 01:30 AM
What is the difference of pro and ultra?

And I think I will just spend some money and get a 5900 or 9800 which of these do you two recommend?

How much better is the pro/ultra than the normal version of that graphics card?

Alucard
09-30-2003, 02:21 AM
The non pro/ultra versions run at a lower clock speed. You'll be getting 10-20fps less then you would with the other version. Or something like that. And the 9800 pro is the better card compared to 5900ultra. Cheaper too I think.

SpaceManSpiff
09-30-2003, 06:33 AM
which brands are better, for both Nvidia and ATI?

Seska
09-30-2003, 07:23 AM
Not too sure how it goes with ATI (as I havent ever had a ATI card) but at least with Nvidia and their GF4 series it didnt matter what brand you took, since msot were around the same price, same performance. Only thing different was the design of the heatsink and fans. Winfast usually have the best Heatsinks, I think their Geforce FX is casically one huge chunk of metal. In a way its good cause you know your card will be cool, and in another its abd, ebcause it makes the heatsink extremely ahrd to replace if the fans break down, which at some point in time, they will.

I got a chaintech GF4 4600ti, and after 5 months the fan broke down. I replaced it with a CLabs heatsink I got for 3 bucks on eBay adn it works like a charm. :D

So when you choose your card take in mind if disassembling the heatsink it carries is going to be much of a problem for you or not in case of a breakdown.

Alucard
09-30-2003, 07:32 AM
That link Makeru gave shows the good brands. But personally if you're gonna buy an FX card then it should be either Leadtek or MSI. They are the only two would choose. Though I was a little surprised to see Powercolour as a bad brand on that list for ATI. I like that brand. Otherwise Sapphire is gorgeous.

SpaceManSpiff
10-01-2003, 05:20 AM
Are these video cards the same? one says: VTD128, and the other just says TD128.

And Would these be easy to replace the fan or heatsink thingy Seska?

http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1333 http://www.gameve.com/store/catalog/VC-MSI-0029.GIF

http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=vmsfx5900td128&refer=PriceGrabber http://www.accupc.com/images/thumbnail/VMSFX5900TD128/images/Img2003-06-25_004.jpg

They look the same at least.

SpaceManSpiff
10-01-2003, 05:39 AM
The new Radeon.

http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/october03/radeon/

Alucard
10-01-2003, 06:37 AM
They seem to be the same card to me.. And if you buy a very good brand then you wont have the problem Seska had. MSI and Leadtek are two cards you wont be finding fan problems with.

Joe Redifer
10-01-2003, 06:52 AM
I need a new CPU fan so I guess I'll ask for recommendations here. I am running a 1.4 Ghz AMD. It is the AMD chip that runs a bit cooler than others that ran too hot, if that makes a difference. My current fan is a Dragon Orb and damn it is LOUD! WAAAAYYYY too loud. Plus I don't feel it keeps the CPU adequately cooled. Does anyone know of a good fan I can get (preferably at a local store) that would be quieter and keep my CPU cool at the same time?

Sinful Sam
10-01-2003, 03:55 PM
If you?re going to buy a graphics card, maybe you should wait for this deal to happen.
An anonymous reader writes "The Inquirer has a recent article on the launch of ATI's Radeon 9800 XT and 9600 XT, happening tonight at Alcatraz." In fact, there's now a press release announcing that "...customers purchasing ATI's Radeon 9800 XT and 9600 XT will also get a free copy of Half-Life 2 when the game ships", whenever that is, and confirming the price of the 9800 at $499, and the 9600 at "under $200."
http://gamerankings.com/itemrankings/fullnews.asp?newsid=134040

Alucard
10-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Joe, check back on the previous page for fan recomendation. Plus check what your motherboard can support. If it can't go past 2gig then its probably time to buy a new board. And that info will be in this thread too.

Seska
10-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Spaceman, that heatsink should be easy to replace. See those black pins? They hold the whole thing to the card through a series of holes in the card itself, you pinch them at the other side and push them through and out of the holes.

As for MSI being a quality brand, I'm not too sure about that, at least in the GF4 series their heatsinks were reviewed as the only ones not quite complying to Nvidias heatsink standard, this not being quite as effective.

Not sure if they ahve improved in current gen chipsets, I never really bothered reading recent reviews. One brand you cant go wrong with is Leadtek though, in that Ill agree with Alucard. Oh, and stay away from PNY.

sin75
10-01-2003, 08:45 PM
What PC surround sound speakers brand do you guys own/recommend?

Mikeru83
10-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Personally, in my opinion, for games, I like to play with headphones on. Ones that enclose your ears and block out sound are great and really help your performance in competitive games like Counter-Strike.

But for general music and video playback, I rely on my old AIWA SC-C57 speakers with subwoofer to fill my room with sound.

The 9800XT for $500? Seeing something listed at that price makes me gag. On the other hand, the 9600XT seems too good to be true. $200 with a free copy of HL2? Whoa...

VTD128, and the other just says TD128

The VTD128 has Video-In/Video-Out (VIVO).
The TD128 has Video-Out only. (Same thing as TV-Out.)

SpaceManSpiff
10-02-2003, 02:47 AM
ok. I dont get it. This site lists both of those graphic cards, but one is more expensive. What is the difference?
http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=VMSFX5900TD128
http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=VMSFX59VTD128

Alucard
10-02-2003, 02:51 AM
The 9600XT looks like a great deal. But ibest to check out the benchmarks before you decide on even looking at it. We dont know if it'll be stronger or weaker then the current 9600. As for MSI, Toms gave it no1 place in the 5900FX series and Leadtek 2nd. MSI must have done something right.

I went a little overboard with my speaker setup. I got the Logitech Z-680 series. Basically 5.1 with sub, THX and DTS certified. Speakers are small and fit perfectly in a room, and the sound they pump out is ungodly. Ofcourse I use it for my PC, DVD player, and my console systems so it serves more then one purpose. Only reason I spent that extra little bit. I'm ultra ppicky about speakers since I'll go crazy if they aren't too good in bass or low/mid/high range of sound and tone and blahblah. Basically I read a billion reviews before I picked it. I didn't want to pay for the sun for my setup either or I'd have gone for the Klipsch system, which is the best. They go for around $250ish..

SpaceManSpiff
10-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Can someone plz tell me the difference of those two graphics cards. They are the last post on the page before this one.

And for some damn reason, at the gameve.com site, (where Im gonna buy my msi Mobo) I click on msi Motherboards and for some reason they dont show the normal ones for xp processors like they used too. Now they just show one motherboard for the new 64 bit processor.:crazy:

SpaceManSpiff
10-02-2003, 08:37 PM
well, since I cant seem to get that MoBo at GameVe, how about this one. Is it good enought Alucard?
http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=MBMS6570030 http://www.accupc.com/images/product_large_images/mbms6570030.jpg

Edit: Or maybe this one, its $40 cheaper and looks just as good.
http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=MBMS6570020 http://www.accupc.com/images/product_large_images/mbms6570020.jpg

Alucard
10-03-2003, 02:11 AM
Lets see...well this depends on your soundcard. If you dont have a super spffy soundcard that does 5.1 digital, then buy the extra $40 one as that has it built in. Very cool. Thats the only good thing about it really. It has RAID support but you dont need to know about that. You'd never use it. But yeah, the sound thing is very good and the board is excellent. I envy your new system spiff. ENVY! Make sure you go for the radeon btw. No nvidia!

SpaceManSpiff
10-03-2003, 02:15 AM
but still, what is the difference in those 2 fx 5900's?

I envy your new system spiff. ENVY!---Alucard

Why, what system do you have?

SpaceManSpiff
10-03-2003, 02:25 AM
Oh ya, I just got my new case today, and it has a little switch on the back of it that goes from 115v to 230v that I never noticed on my current computer, which should it be set on and why?

And will a 350 watt ps be enough? How does a 400 watt improve your system?

SpaceManSpiff
10-03-2003, 03:06 AM
The VTD128 has Video-In/Video-Out (VIVO).
The TD128 has Video-Out only. (Same thing as TV-Out.)

aah, I didnt see that, thankyou. So what exactly will video-in let me do?

Mikeru83
10-03-2003, 03:27 AM
So what exactly will video-in let me do?

It essentially lets you hook up your VCR/TV/Camcorder/Etc. to your computer and display it on your monitor using the regular video cable.

This does NOT mean you can just hook up your cable to your computer and watch TV. To do that, you require different hardware.

ogami
10-03-2003, 04:59 AM
Which motherboard is the best for AMD? (I don't care how much it is)

SpaceManSpiff
10-03-2003, 01:10 PM
It essentially lets you hook up your VCR/TV/Camcorder/Etc. to your computer and display it on your monitor using the regular video cable.

This does NOT mean you can just hook up your cable to your computer and watch TV. To do that, you require different hardware.

I think ill just get the the graphics card that is the same, just without this for $50 cheaper. I dont see myself ever using it.

But what do you mean by hooking up my tv to display on my monitor?

SpaceManSpiff
10-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Well I ordered that MoBo, the one for $120 with the sound card built in. Im just curious though, can it use sdram too?

And can you use a stick of pc3200 ram with a stick of pc2700ram on the same MoBo?

Mikeru83
10-03-2003, 02:57 PM
But what do you mean by hooking up my tv to display on my monitor?

It's not neccessarily for TV to monitor, seeing as that doesn't make any sense (my fault for listing it) and I don't think TVs have video-out (At least mine doesn't.). It's more for hooking VCRs, cameras, game consoles (supposedly), and anything with a video-out connection to view on your monitor.

I'm not an audio/video guy, so take what I say lightly. Say you hooked it up to a VCR. You could then record the video onto your computer and convert it into a digital video file.

In a realistic sense, you really wouldn't use any of these things anyways. And if you did, you'd be purchasing much fancier and more expensive equipment.

SpaceManSpiff
10-04-2003, 10:56 PM
can someone plz answer my questions about the ram. its a few posts up.:)

Mikeru83
10-05-2003, 12:55 AM
Well I ordered that MoBo, the one for $120 with the sound card built in. Im just curious though, can it use sdram too?

And can you use a stick of pc3200 ram with a stick of pc2700ram on the same MoBo?

First of all, SDRAM is too slow. So stick with DDR.

Secondly, you can supposedly use PC3200RAM with PC2700RAM. But I've heard different stories of it not working or even slwoing down your memory speeds. My gut feeling is to not do it.

Anyways, your board supports FSB speeds up to 400MHZ. PC3200RAM runs at 400MHZ and your board supports it, so I suggest just buying PC3200RAM to get the most speed out of your memory.

SpaceManSpiff
10-05-2003, 03:06 AM
Thankyou, I just ordered my processor too, an amd xp 2600+..next up is the ram and cpu fan. I will probably get the fx5900 gaphics card, but I keep hearing alucards voice in the back of my head, " ATI ATI ATI.":)

Alucard
10-05-2003, 06:04 AM
Remember when putting in ram to always buy the same brand you have inside your system. Dont buy two different types of memory brands and whack them in. And stick to the same speed. Otherwise your system has chances of acting like a retard.

SpaceManSpiff
10-05-2003, 06:30 AM
ill just get a the kingston 512 ddr pc3200 and then maybe a 256 of the same kind or another 512.

sin75
10-06-2003, 01:23 AM
And stick to the same speed. Otherwise your system has chances of acting like a retard.

Do you mean the motherboard configuration or the RAM speed? I thought can max out my current motherboard to 3.5 GB but I have a 2700 512MB.

Alucard
10-06-2003, 03:07 AM
I meant that if you have 1 memory stick thats a 2700, dont stick in another thats 3200. Stay the same as the 2700 otherwise replace that one if you want faster ram.

SpaceManSpiff
10-08-2003, 02:09 AM
So what kind of system do you have Alucard, since you envy mine?

Alucard
10-08-2003, 02:32 AM
I'm in happy mode status. I plan to change that to upgrading status once I test the full release of HL2.

2.1gig AMD
Ti4400geforce
512b 2700ram
SBLive 5.1 digital.

Thats the important stuff. I'l be tossing in a 2.6 in a few months depending. And the card will zoom to either a 9700pro or 9800pro. Hopefully 9800pro. For now all games seem to run very well indeed with either full or almost full effects.

SpaceManSpiff
10-08-2003, 02:36 AM
Do you plan on upgrading the Ram, or does 2700 work well enough. Cuz if it does then ill just get it instead of the 3200 which is like $40 more.

SpaceManSpiff
10-09-2003, 01:30 AM
whats better, dual channel or overclocking ram? the dual channel is more expensive, but I dont see why?

Mishi
10-09-2003, 01:33 AM
i'm not exactly sure but i have dual channel
if you get it make sure you set it up right

for example i have 4 slots

a b c d
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1

say those are the slots for my dual channel to work properly
i have to use A and then C if i have 2 dimms. check your mobo thing about it. but i think dual channel ram is kickass ;)
i dont know anything about overclocked ram

Alucard
10-09-2003, 07:10 AM
Dual and overclocked scare me. Just buy normal ram and stuff them in. I grabbed 2700 cause my board can only go that high for now. Once I upgrade, in a few months, to a 2.6gig cpu which is the highest my board can handle, then I'll upgrade the board end of next year. Then I'll get faster ram. Though when I jumped from 2100 to 2700, I swear I didn't see much of a change. I'm sure theres SOMETHING. But 3200 would show more. It depends. If you're short of cash, 2700 all the way.

SpaceManSpiff
10-09-2003, 08:44 PM
I think ill get overclocked then, its almost the same price as the normal stuff. Its the dual stuff thats super expensive.

What is the difference between CL3A, CL3, and CL2.5. And what does it mean when it says (3-3-3)? And then theres non-ECC and ECC. bah, thers all kinds of different types. What the hell is hyperx?

how are all these different?. (http://www.accupc.com/nextPreviousPage_narrow.jsp?mode=CATEGORY&totalNum=65&currentPage=2&query_m=Memory&query_s=KINGSTON):crazy:

Mishi
10-09-2003, 09:09 PM
ecc is error correction.

dont be afraid of dual channel.. other than the price
my ram was 300$ total.

the only thing i saw was LL and CL all that is brand specific i guess but for corsair xms i forget which but i one is better than the other.

SpaceManSpiff
10-09-2003, 09:22 PM
so error correction is good right?

Mishi
10-09-2003, 09:35 PM
so error correction is good right?
yeah

SpaceManSpiff
10-09-2003, 11:19 PM
what about hyperx, what is that. It is more espensive.

SpaceManSpiff
10-11-2003, 05:03 AM
I think this is the graphics card for me. It says its both winfast and leadtek I guess. And Alucard and Seska said they were good. Its about $100 dollars cheaper than most of the other fx5900ultras. And only $70 more than the MSI fx5900 (non-ultra I was looking at.
But the pic of it doesnt show a fan, does that mean it doesnt come with one or what? And what do you all think about this card and price overall?

5900 (http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1363)

http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/image/winfast_a350_ultratdh_myvivo_3s.jpg

Alucard
10-11-2003, 06:05 AM
Bad bad spiff!! If you're gonna go with the 5900, make it the 128mb version and not the 256. Thats just crazy talk.

Mishi
10-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
Bad bad spiff!! If you're gonna go with the 5900, make it the 128mb version and not the 256. Thats just crazy talk.

yeah you dont need a 256meg gfx card. not for a good few years.
listen to the vampire.

Seska
10-11-2003, 08:05 PM
In aprticular with Half Life 2 delayed till april next year, getting a top of the range card NOW is really jsut pointless. Stick to a cheap radeon 9600 or a GF4.

SpaceManSpiff
10-12-2003, 01:15 AM

I couldnt find a 128mb ultra or is there one? If not then maybe ill just get the normal 5900 128.

what about this Radeon 9800 128mb pro, its only $369.99, but is the brand (crucial) any good?9800Pro (http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CTV9800P128A28&cat=Video+Card)

http://images.crucial.com/images/prod_images/video_card/ctv9800p128a28/large_side_angle.gif

Mishi
10-12-2003, 02:50 AM
the review on the website say its awsome. but the price is pretty close to what i payed for mine... several months ago.

SpaceManSpiff
10-12-2003, 03:41 AM
But I see the Radeon 9800 pro for $400-$500 everywhere else, although that could just be the 256mb version. So is there a fx5900 ultra 128mb version that is cheaper than the 256mb version? I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Edit: nevermind, I found the 5900 ultra 128 mb.

Here is an eVGA brand one for $295 Video Card (http://www.digiconcepts.com/evga_videocards_13.htm)

There was also an Asus one, but it was the same price $393 as the Leadtek one that had 256mb.

SpaceManSpiff
10-12-2003, 03:50 AM
But I see the Radeon 9800 pro for $400-$500 everywhere else, although that could just be the 256mb version. So is there a fx5900 ultra 128mb version that is cheaper than the 256mb version? I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Edit: nevermind, I found the 5900 ultra 128 mb.

Here is an eVGA brand one for $295 Video Card (http://www.digiconcepts.com/evga_videocards_13.htm)

There was also an Asus one, but it was the same price $393 as the Leadtek one that had 256mb.

My only question is, How good of a brand is eVGA?

Edit whoops I must have hit the quote button that time instead of edit.

Alucard
10-12-2003, 06:07 AM
Actually spiff, Seska brings up a good point. Practically all the games will work perfectly with a 9600pro or Ti4400/4600. Dont spend a whole heap of money on the 9800/5900 now. Grab that next april when it'll be half the price! Go get yourself a cheaper card. Save the money for later.

SpaceManSpiff
10-12-2003, 02:23 PM
aaah! you've got me going in circles.:haha:

SpaceManSpiff
10-13-2003, 04:17 AM
Here is the Ram ive decided to get. Its Kingston pc3200 ddr 400 512mb, for $108. It has ECC, which is good I guess and is CL3A, whatever that means, but it sound better than CL2.5, and CL3. So if anyone knows of a reason why I should not get this or where it is cheaper plz tell me.RAM (http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=SMK512D4EC3A)

Now, the last thing I need is a graphics card. I am looking at a whole lot of them trying to understand which is better and why, since im back to square one. Im either gonna get a 9600 pro, or fx5600ultra.

And lastly, whats the difference between radeon and all-in-wonder?

Alucard
10-13-2003, 05:17 AM
This is all you need to know spiff.. The Kingston ram is excellent. Buy and dont have second thoughts. Also the 9600 PRO is the one to go with. But if you have the option to get the Ti4800, go with that instead. Its better and only very slightly more.

SpaceManSpiff
10-13-2003, 11:51 PM
All I can find is the Geforce 4 ti4800SE. Doesnt the SE mean it is not as good?

Alucard
10-14-2003, 02:37 AM
SE is a bit slower because of the ram type or something, I forget. But its still better then the 9600.

SpaceManSpiff
10-14-2003, 04:57 AM
Well since Im gonna upgrade to the 5900 or 9800 pro in 6 or less months, I think I will just get like the ti4400 or 4200 since that will run most every game until then. But how much do you think they will drop in price till then, and will it be worth it to get a card for like $150 now and get the 5900 or 9800 in 6 months time. How much in price do you think it will go down? I could get either now for like $300-370. So even if it drops to $200 by then, it will be just like me buying it right now.

Edit: lol I just looked at the motherboard I ordered, and it just went down $7 in price.
:lol:

Alucard
10-14-2003, 07:44 AM
If you have the money to spare and you want the 98oopro now then definately go buy it. But I honestly would say dont bother with the 5900. The card is overated, louder then the 9800pro, and also very sucky at Anti Aliasing compared to the other. 9800pro is the only way to go.

Havoc2049
10-14-2003, 03:15 PM
My only question is, How good of a brand is eVGA?

Edit whoops I must have hit the quote button that time instead of edit.

I have a eVGA 128MB GForce-FX 5200. I thought it was fine until I started to play Halo and all the bump maping and particle effects that Halo brings to the table. I have to play Halo at 640x480 with the particle effects on low and the textures on medium, just to play at 30 fps.

As a brand, eVGA quality seems fine and you will save a few bucks.

Seska
10-14-2003, 05:23 PM
What processor do you ahve? I Played through all of Halo at 1024 on my 4600ti without a probelm. I ahd the textures and particle effects on max, though I reduced shadows to medium and turned off specular effects - those take a big, BIG hit on performance.

Even with all your options on, is the framerate diff between 1024 and 640 that great? With your card, it shouldnt.

Oh, and also make sure you enable vsync, makes the framerate look smoother.

SpaceManSpiff
10-14-2003, 08:28 PM
If you have the money to spare and you want the 98oopro now then definately go buy it. But I honestly would say dont bother with the 5900. The card is overated, louder then the 9800pro, and also very sucky at Anti Aliasing compared to the other. 9800pro is the only way to go.

Isnt there supposed to be some new drivers or something coming out for the 5900 cards that will make them run alot better?

Now, if I get the 9800pro, should I go with the radeon or the all-in-wonder (which is $7 more)?

SpaceManSpiff
10-14-2003, 09:55 PM
I found this one at pricegrabber.com It says its manufactured by ATI. So what do ya think? LINK (http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php/masterid=704418/lot_id=273983/ut=cfdc9e63ab6f6738)

I also found one at accupc.com for $13 more, but it was made by Powercolor. Is that a good brand?

Edit: I know how you guys are always saying how pioneer makes the best dvd burners. But I want a descent dvd-rw that also look good, I was hoping silver to match my case. Does Pioneer have any like this and where would I find them. Sony may not be as good, but man are they stylish.sleek..but pricey. (http://www.electroseller.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CD_SONY-DRU-510A&Category_Code=DVD-RW) http://www.electroseller.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Sony-DRU500AX.jpg

Alucard
10-15-2003, 07:07 AM
All drives are white/silver style. Ignore sony. DVD burner is ONLY Pioneer. There is no alternative or choice.

AtariX, dont worry too much about the performance. If you have a cpu thats past 2gig and 512mb ram, then you're good enough. Its the actual game itself. The PC port is horrible. The game is NOT that flash looking compared to other things, yet it chugs if you put full effects on. Its the actual port thats bad, not the PC. Bad port. This is what happens when a console game goes to PC.

Havoc2049
10-15-2003, 09:02 AM
I have a 1500mhz Pentium 4, 256mb RAM and a 128mb nVidia GeForce FX 5200. Thinking about bumping the RAM up to 512mb.

Seska, I have vsync on and all the other settings on low or off. There is a difference when going from 1024 to 640. What makes Halo really chug for me though, is when all the particle effects are turned up, past low, especially on multi-player. Like Alucard said though, bad port by Gearbox. It is also hard to pick up weapons sometimes in multiplayer. Anyways, I'm still enjoying Halo and all the new multi-player maps and weapons for the PC, which is mainly what I bought it for. Also want to see what mods fans can come up with....if Gearbox will get off their arse and make the tools available, like they said they would.

Seska
10-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Ok, lower ram and lower CPU might be whats causing it after all. My system has 512 ram and 2400 AMD, and I really should be able to run beyond 30fps with all settings on, but Alucard is right, the port is terrible, in particular for an engine thats almost a year old.

Even Unreal 2 looks better and runs smoother.

SpaceManSpiff
10-15-2003, 10:28 PM
All drives are white/silver style.

All Pioneer Drives? Then where would I find a silver one?

Alucard
10-16-2003, 08:35 AM
Spiffspiff!! Just check the websites you plan to buy it from. Theres always a picture of the product. And remember its what the thing does for you, not what it looks like. Pioneer is your only option.

Seska
10-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Argh!

*whackwhacks spiff with this thread*

Spiff! 10 pages and 135 replies and you still dont know what components to buy for your pc! :p

Pass by GO! Do NOT collect $100! :D

SpaceManSpiff
10-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Seska: Well today I just got my Motherboard, CPU, and CPU fan in the mail. I just ordered the ram a little while ago. I bought my case and win xp quite a while ago. All I need now is a video card. Besides, the whole thread wasnt just about me and the computer. And dont you get $200 for passing go?

Alucard: I know, Ive looked at the pictures of the sites ive found, and they are all the whitish beige color. I know that when it comes down to it ill get a pioneer over sony, but Id really like it to match the color of my case.

Alucard
10-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Not many things are made in silver. Same as black. The main standard colour is the beige thingie.

SpaceManSpiff
10-17-2003, 02:00 AM
Ok, so I got my cpu and that thermaltake cpu fan. But my cpu came with a fan/sink and says that if I use another one then my warranty is void yadda yadda. Its a pretty big heat sink, the fan is good size but pretty plain, but it already has that thermal compound stuff on already. My question is, how good are the fans that come witht he amd cpu's? Cuz now I have 2.

Edit: oh, and the thermaltake heatsink is all copper. The amd one is all alumminum with a small slab of copper at the bottom.

Edit#2: haha I just opened the manual for the thermaltake fan/sink and it has a little packet of thermal compound in it.

SpaceManSpiff
10-17-2003, 04:02 AM
Alucard look its black!! One step closer to silver.:D LINK (http://www.bananapc.com/Products/product_info.asp?product_id=10238&classif_id=1299)

Alucard
10-17-2003, 05:50 AM
Ignore the cpu fan. Thats why you bought the thermaltake one. You're supposed to put a LITTLE of the compound ontop of the cpu after you install it, then slap the fan ontop. Be careful not to put too much. It can't smear off the actual small little chip ontop. IF you know someone who can help you definately ask them.

SpaceManSpiff
10-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Will a 350w power supply be enough for a 9800 or 5900 gpu, since they plug directly into the ps?

Alucard
10-19-2003, 04:00 AM
yes 350 should be plenty. You can always swap it in the future if you like. But it should be more then fine.

SpaceManSpiff
10-23-2003, 10:06 PM
I just got my ram in the mail the other day. It is Kingston, but I was just curious why all the chips say Samsung on them?

Alucard
10-24-2003, 12:41 AM
Samsung are one of the companies who produce the chips. The other companies take them and spaz with them for a bit and relabel them and blah.

sin75
10-28-2003, 12:36 AM
I'm planning to upgrade my PC's to as much as the motherboard allows but can someone tell me what's is registered RAM and unbuffered RAM is? It says here on my motherboard manual-

Total system memory for unbuffered DDR DIMM (PC 2700/3200)
64 MB ~ 2 GB

Total system memory for registered DDR DIMM (PC 2700/3200)
64 MB ~ 3 GB

I got 4 ram slots on my PC and there's one 512MB(PC 2700). If I add another 1 512MB and 2x1GB ram would it work on my PC?

Alucard
10-28-2003, 12:57 AM
It would work as long as they were all the same speed, ie 2700.

As for the registered thing, unless I'm wrong the registered stuff is the better quality and more stable. Obviously its more expensive. Dont be shy about not buying registered though. As long as the brand is a good brand, ie Corsair,Kingston,Kingmax, then you'll be fine. Stay totally away from crap like Seitec and Nanya.

SpaceManSpiff
10-29-2003, 04:45 AM
Here is what my computer officially and finally will have. I have it all, except for the graphics card and Hard drive becuase they are in the mail
OS- Win xp home edition
CPU- AMD Athlon xp 2600+ 400fsb
Graphics- ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Ram- Kingston 512Mb DDR 3200 400FSB CL3A ECC ( will get more later.)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 120GB SATA 8MB 7200, Maxtor 40GB ATA133 7200 for storage.

And the Motherboard is an MSI K7N2 Delta series.

Alucard
10-29-2003, 08:10 AM
9600pro? Didn't you say you planned to buy the 9800pro instead of getting it next year? Cause the money you saved waiting for it to become cheaper would be the same as buying the 9600 and the 9800 later, so having the 9800pro now would be the same money wise but more power now.

SpaceManSpiff
10-29-2003, 09:21 PM
ya, but I wanted to get a new monitor right now. So oh well.:D

Thanks for all the help though.:big smile

Alucard
10-30-2003, 12:30 AM
New monitor eh? What sort?

SpaceManSpiff
10-30-2003, 02:08 AM
Well I dont know what monitor exactly but I want an lcd flat scree one.

Edit: when your looking at all the specs of monitors, what does the viewing angle mean. Can you only see the screen from certain angles?

sin75
10-30-2003, 02:41 AM
I you don't know already, try to get a monitor with the lowest dot pitch. I'd seen a Sony PC monitor with a very low dot pitch(can't remember the ?.??mm) and it's crystal clear! To me this is the most important thing to consider when getting a PC monitor.. screen size would be next.

SpaceManSpiff
10-30-2003, 03:14 AM
Is that the same thing as pixel pitch? And is this low or high?

Pixel Pitch: 0.297(H) mmx).297(V) mm

SpaceManSpiff
10-30-2003, 08:53 PM
I just got my HD and Graphics card in the mail. My HD is bare with no instalation cd or floppy disk. I was just wondering if I needed these to install it, because my old one came with these and my brother used them to install it. If I do need these where would I go to get them for a seagate barracuda HD?

sin75
10-31-2003, 02:09 AM
a good monitor should have a dot pitch lower than 0.20mm . I got a 17" PC monitor(0.26mm) and I didn't like the quality of the screen.

SpaceManSpiff: Is that the same thing as pixel pitch? And is this low or high?
Pixel Pitch: 0.297(H) mmx).297(V) mm

Yeah it's the same. And the pixel is quite large if it's a 17".. not a good thing but that is because it's probably an LCD. It's just like "resolution" actually.

Alucard
10-31-2003, 02:39 AM
YES! Go to Segates site and download the system tools and put them on a floppy disk so you can PROPERLY format and partition it. Sometimes if you dont use the programs meant for that HDD it'll give you an error down the road. I've done it so I know it happens.

.20 is very low, and mainly TFT style screens will have this. But dont go for anything past .21 if you get a simple Flat screen monitor. Some of the best brands would be Viewsonic, Mitsubishi an ...some others. Just go looking around for monitor reviews of the type you want to buy. Some monitors can be lighter or darker then the others, and sometimes the text can be darker or blurry. You wont notice unless you PEER at your monitor too. But after time you will. Anyway, just look around on google.

Seska
10-31-2003, 05:24 AM
Formatting a Seagate HD with the Seagate tools is a MUST. Inles you'd rather have Windoze spend about.. oh... 2 HOURS to do what Seagate tools does in 1 minute.

You dont even need to download Seatolls on a floppy, they run their HD wizard now even through an applet on the web. I jsut hook up my HD, let windows detect it, load the Seagate webpage and load their Seatools applet. With it, you can both format your HD and set any partition to any file system you like (NTFS prolly best)

YEt another reason not to have a floppy disc in your PC. :D

SpaceManSpiff
10-31-2003, 09:32 PM
For like boot disks and stuff, instead of a floppy, can you use one of those usb media storage things that plugs right into your usb?

SpaceManSpiff
11-02-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Seska

You dont even need to download Seatolls on a floppy, they run their HD wizard now even through an applet on the web. I jsut hook up my HD, let windows detect it, load the Seagate webpage and load their Seatools applet. With it, you can both format your HD and set any partition to any file system you like (NTFS prolly best)

How will this work if I am just assembling my computer. How does windows detect it if there is no windows to detect it since I have to format it first ( I think) and then put on my op system.

Alucard
11-03-2003, 12:06 AM
Basically hook it up to your computer now and format it on the net before you put together your other one. Use your current system.

SpaceManSpiff
11-03-2003, 01:52 AM
Wow Alucard, your a genius. Thats a good Idea!!.....is what I first said to myself before I realized that my Hard Drive is a Serial ATA type and my current motherboard doesnt supporst that. Guess I'll have to get a floppy drive, unless I can burn it to a disc.

Edit: if I have a case and a power supply only, and I plug it in and turn the power supply on, it should turn on and the fan should be moving without the motherboard connected right?

Alucard
11-03-2003, 03:05 AM
Yep it should. And dont worry about the floppy thing. Just grab the program and make a boot disc and start your new system up. Will take like 1min to format and partition into certain segments.

SpaceManSpiff
11-03-2003, 03:28 AM
Yep it should.

Great, looks like I have to return this case and get a new one.:annoyed:

now where did I put that receit...:irked"

SpaceManSpiff
11-04-2003, 03:26 AM
ok, what about this monitor it looks good for its price,($229). Can anyone tell me what is bad about it besides it not being a major name brand?Monitor (http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SpecA/AA23900.html)

Alucard
11-04-2003, 04:54 AM
bleah. That ones a waste of money in my book.

SpaceManSpiff
11-04-2003, 08:22 PM
bleah. That ones a waste of money in my book.

Ok...can you give me a reason for that?:irked"

Alucard
11-04-2003, 11:50 PM
Well for one its 15inces. SMALL! Secondly the highest refresh rate is 75, and the resolution 1024x7blahblah. Way too low spec. Stick to a normal monitor if you dont plan to spend alot on a good TFT screen.

SpaceManSpiff
11-05-2003, 12:01 AM
umm ok, what about this one.Link (http://www.mwave.com/mwave/doc2/A10067.html) Although it is $200 more at $420.8)

Drunken Savior
02-04-2004, 03:55 AM
(Hijacks Spiff's thread)

Can anyone give me a crash course on buying a motherboard and processor? I'm looking to save money because I will try to overclock it. First time. Since it's not my computer, I'm looking for a motherboard and maybe a stepdown processor (not the fastest, but fast enough to do the following tasks:
-watch movies
-edit photos
-play games up to FFXI (Doom3/HL if possible))

Any standards I need to know would be greatly appreciated. :)

Alucard
02-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Well for cpu you dont want anything beflow a 2.6gig. If you want to overclock then soltek is one of the best stable boards for that.

Drunken Savior
02-04-2004, 06:39 PM
When chosing a MB and processor, are there anyt compatability issues I need to worry about?

SpaceManSpiff
02-05-2004, 01:50 AM
Oh No!!! you HIjacked my super old and dead thread!!

All I know is get a Socket A MOBO for AMD and the other for Pentium.:D They should tell you in the description at whatever site your buying it from, and make sure your MOBO can handle up to the speed of your processor. Most newer MOBO's I see usually support at least 3 Ghz. Also certain Motherboards can only handle certain FSB speeds and memory. Your processor doesnt matter as much for a game like HL, a graphics card is more important to play FPS's. Processors are good if you play alot of games with lots of things and people on screen at the same time.

Alucard
02-05-2004, 03:54 AM
No, theres no compatibility issues with any board or processir.

SpaceManSpiff
02-05-2004, 04:07 AM
No, theres no compatibility issues with any board or processir.

Wha?

SpaceManSpiff
02-06-2004, 09:38 PM
I said Wha??!!!

Alucard
02-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Its a typo! Dont make me ban you!

Nindalf
02-07-2004, 03:10 PM
I built a computer too!

http://www.jumptronix.com/2g_go_faster/images/GoFaster/Faqs/UpperICFAQ/IC_Pipe_Off_Car.jpg

Ain't she a beauty?

Alucard
02-07-2004, 03:51 PM

ATMA
02-07-2004, 03:57 PM