PDA

View Full Version : Xbox price cut. Sony and Nintendo likely to follow.!!!!

SpaceManSpiff
09-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Friday 5th September 2003

PRICE WAR LOOMS FOLLOWING XBOX CUT SHOCK!

With the Xbox set to make an official price cut announcement shortly, Sony and Nintendo are set to follow suit

17:37 With yesterday's leaked announcement that Microsoft's Xbox would soon be retailing for under 100 quid, news reaches us that Sony is set to cut the price of the PS2 within the next fortnight.
The Xbox discount is still unofficial as yet. "At 129.99/?199.99, Xbox offers tremendous value - we have a large and
growing portfolio of quality games, the award-winning Xbox Live service, online gaming capability built in to the console, and the most powerful hardware available," Chris Lewis, Director of UK Home and Entertainment
Division, told us earlier today.

Lewis continued: "We're very comfortable with our price point and will continue to offer value by bringing outstanding gaming experiences to gamers in Europe." Nonetheless, the cut is expected to be formally announced at the X03 event later this month in France - and if the widely expected price cut does come, the machine will prove astonishing value for money, meaning Sony will almost certainlty have to respond.

The PS2 is currently the most expensive - and far away the most successful - console on the market today, but in the run up to Christmas, the lure of the more powerful Xbox at barely more than half the price of the PS2 could prove too much to resist.

One prominent industry insider is already convinced that the PS2 price cut is definitely going to happen, with the price of the console dropping to 129.99; the timing of the cut designed to steal the X03 announcement's glory.

Various bundles are also rumoured to be in the works, with the Xbox bundled with two games and Sony's PS2 selling complete with the EyeToy peripheral.

Nintendo's David Gosen, meanwhile, has said that the GameCube will "remain competitive". Price cuts for the 'Cube? Most retailers are already flogging it for 129.00 with a copy of Zelda - how much more value-packed can you get? Well, specualtion is rife that the standalone console will retail for as little as 79.99 before the end of the year.

The likely bundles are as follows:

PS2 with EyeToy and new Groove disc - 169.99

PS2 standalone - 129.99

Xbox with Xbox Live! and free game - 149.99

Xbox with two free games - 129.99

Xbox standalone - 99.99

GameCube with new title - 129.99

GameCube standalone - 79.99

This rocks!!!!!!:cool guy: :spinface: 8) :sing: :eek: :D :)

Magnus
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Thats a nice price for a Gamecube.
Same for Xbox and PS2

I'd wait to see what games are offered though.

Reality
09-11-2003, 03:16 PM
MY GOSH!!! It that's the price of the GCN what will the GBPlayer and SP be??!

Nindalf
09-11-2003, 03:18 PM
My guess is that SP will be 39.99, GB player 29.99 and GBA 29.99 and E-Reader 499.99.

Bad1
09-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Nin, you been eating paint-chips again. Washed down with ketchup milk.

Pilotwings
09-11-2003, 10:38 PM
i'm awaiting to see if the zelda games bundle is true... :o

flamingspiral
09-12-2003, 05:22 PM
I thought Nintendo was cutting their price of the Gamecube too $100 at the end of the year? I don't see why they'd immediatly announce another price cut when they already announced one. Although I'm sure Sony will follow, Xbox and Ps2 seem to have this childish battle when it comes to price cuts.

Zod
09-12-2003, 05:34 PM
Sony better follow! I like my PS/2 and it's my choice console, but man they are being certifiably stupid for charging the highest price for the oldest of the current systems.

Nindalf
09-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Zod
Sony better follow! I like my PS/2 and it's my choice console, but man they are being certifiably stupid for charging the highest price for the oldest of the current systems.

Why not? It's still selling.

Zod
09-12-2003, 08:31 PM
True, but it would still be nice for them to lower the price, especially before they drop the bombshell of an HDD's cost on us.

camac
09-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by SpaceManSpiff

GameCube standalone - 79.99

:yikes: holy crap! i wonder how much used GCs would cost after that price drop, i think i might finally get a gamecube after this :D

Vegetto
09-13-2003, 11:54 PM
so is there like an official date for when it takes affect for the Xbox?

SpaceManSpiff
09-14-2003, 07:35 AM
No, it seems like Microsoft is kinda, changing the subject (you know what I mean;) ) when ever someone talks about the price drop. Its not official, just a "leak" but it looks very likely too me.:cool guy:

Vegetto
09-15-2003, 02:10 AM
damn that sucks.....I kinda just bought max payne for the Xbox and I dont even have the system yet -.-

SpaceManSpiff
09-15-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Vegetto
damn that sucks.....I kinda just bought max payne for the Xbox and I dont even have the system yet -.-

LOL:haha: LOL

Well hopefully you wont have to wait too long, If it does happen I think it will be before Christmas.

Again, LOL:haha: :haha: :haha: LOL

Icarus4578
09-15-2003, 11:00 AM
Heh. If only they'd sell games for alot cheaper. Game CDs+box+instruction manuals cost about 5-10cents to manufacture a piece. I realize that they have to make up for the cost of development but $59.99 is not the answer. That's just a ripoff along the likes of the cartridges in the SNES days.

Escaflowne2001
09-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Not really, game prices will go up before they go down as the development cost keeps increasing. . .

Magnus
09-15-2003, 08:16 PM
And Development costs keep increasing because people want more and more. And as they do, developers will continue to struggle, die out and then we will be left with the major players. Of course by then consumer intrest in videogames will have dropped considerably since there are less games to choose from and graphics will start to grind to a halt, since graphic performance wont be able to increase. With the casual gamers gone, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony will experience massive loss(well not so much Nintendo, since they have less consoles) and the consoles will flounder. That will cause the increasing game costs to either rocket upwards or plummet down to nothing and the industry will try to regain the consumers, who by this stage will have jumped either to computers or given up gaming. The gaming industry grinding to a halt will see that technology was driving the industry for Casual gamers and that Hardcore gamers have become increasingly dispondant with the gaming trend to focus on casual gamers and will be leaving for the PC in droves. Companies will drain resources to bring them back without success. Only then will they realise that the industry has been imploding on itself since the original Playstation started targeting casual gamers and forcing developers to start having to push boundries. After a few years gaming will probably die off in consoles and be regulated back to bedrooms. A quiet death for a beloved past-time.

The future is bleak my friends.......

(Oh and I have no idea what will happen with the handhelds, but if the Gameboy is any indication, it too will die off when performance cannot increase.[for those that arent aware, the Gameboy was hardly selling anything before Pokemon, which saved handheld gaming] Notice too I didnt mention concepts such as Online gaming or eyetoy or other such concepts since they are probably going to end up mainstays in consoles now.)

Vegetto
09-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Gameboy??die???? wha? wha? I think not.........when the GBA SP came out they were selling like.....5,000 copys a minute......

Magnus
09-16-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Vegetto
Gameboy??die???? wha? wha? I think not.........when the GBA SP came out they were selling like.....5,000 copys a minute......

Before Pokemon was released on the Mono GB, the GB was selling poorly. It exploded in sales again when Pokemon became popular. Hope that clears that up. And 5000 copies a minute means that soon market penetration will soon turn to saturation and the GBA will lose sales. Then something will be needed to boost sales again.

Cobi*
09-16-2003, 04:18 AM
OH! it's for the european market... i was gonna say...

Before Pokemon was released on the Mono GB, the GB was selling poorly. It exploded in sales again when Pokemon became popular. Hope that clears that up. And 5000 copies a minute means that soon market penetration will soon turn to saturation and the GBA will lose sales. Then something will be needed to boost sales again.

yup! that's why, even though sony has the psp, it doesn't necessarily mean the death of the gameboy... so long as nintendo has pokemon.