PDA

View Full Version : Surprise title from Square Enix?!

Rubeus
08-22-2003, 03:17 AM
Today's MB news -
"The Japanese V-Jump magazine announced they will reveal a surprise title from Square Enix in the September 20 issue of the magazine. The surprise title is expected to release in Japan by November - December."

What will this be? Is this the new "mega hit" title for GBA Nintendo mentioned few days ago? Could this be a GBA port of Final Fantasy III? Though it seems unlikely FFIII can get 1 - 2 million sales.

AUG 19 News -
Dengeki reported that a new Mega Hits title for GameBoy Advance in Japan by the end of the year, the game is expected to reach 1 - 2 million units of sales.

Seska
08-22-2003, 03:41 AM
Another port? That would hardly be a surprise.

Escaflowne2001
08-22-2003, 06:50 AM
Final Fantasy III for the PsOne...?

I hope Star Ocean 1 for the GBA I can dream can't I....:big smile

Bad1
08-22-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm gonna be sceptic, and say it will be another game along the lines of that sword you plug into the TV.:crazy:

Escaflowne2001
08-22-2003, 04:50 PM
That was for the Arcade wasn't it? :crazy: that would be excellent aswell but I think it'll be FFIII for the PsOne or maybe Kingdom Hearts 2 if they've made an agreement with Disney yet.

SpaceManSpiff
08-22-2003, 06:23 PM
They say itll be out in Japan by November-December, thats too early for KH2. Im hoping its chronobreak. :sing:

Escaflowne2001
08-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Depends how long they've working on it another only announced Wild Arms F earlier this month and it's out in November.

Black Ace
08-22-2003, 09:35 PM
Einhander 2, biotch!!1!!!11 :o

DeathStroke
08-22-2003, 10:03 PM
I hope it's that rumored Parasite Eve title.

SpaceManSpiff
08-23-2003, 01:29 AM
I read a while back that the director of KH couldnt start KH2 till 2005!! cuz he was so busy. Its obvious that they have started working on it already, but probably not for that long.

Sinful Sam
08-23-2003, 03:57 AM
A sequel to Kingdom Hearts is the last thing I want to hear.:sing:

Now a sequel to Vagrant Story would be sweet.

SpaceManSpiff
08-23-2003, 05:50 AM
Now that I think about it, I dont want any god damn sequel. I -

want an original brand spankin new game that rocks!!! Im tired -

of all these stupid sequels in both games and movies. So-

hopefully its a totally new game.:sing:-

Edit: besides, KH2 wouldnt be a surprise since there it is pretty -

much garaunteed to have a sequel in the future anyways.-

-hmmm Nin, good idea on the spaces in between lines hehe.;)

Escaflowne2001
08-23-2003, 06:49 AM
not really, as they've had trouble making a new deal with disney hence the long delay of annoucements. Anyhow wouldn't want a sequel to Vagrant Story but maybe another new Star Ocean, Bouncer 2 (ugh...)?

SpaceManSpiff
08-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Well they showed that teaser at the end of KH1, so they better make a sequel.:too mad:

garrffy
08-23-2003, 08:31 AM
I agree with Spaceman that there should be more original creations in games and movies. Too many sequels. Not only that, games and film studios now make more prequels than they used to, thanks to Geroge Lucas and his Episode I, II, III.
I won't be surprised to see a prehistoric prequel movie of Star Wars like the KOTOR game. People are just running out of ideas. Also investors are more cautious nowadays and sequels are a kind of guarantee of minimum number of audience - fans of the original movie/game are most likely to return.
Anyway, I like to see more original creation like Capcom did with their original DMC two years ago. But I don't mind seeing Tobal 3, a sequel to Tobal 2 which is the best fighting game of all time, a game that was way ahead of others in its time.

gearhound1
08-23-2003, 02:46 PM
KH2&3 are already in development. anyway, i sure hope this suprise game from square-enix is something original.

Escaflowne2001
08-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Links? cuz the last think I heard they can't come to an agreement?

Pilotwings
08-23-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Escaflowne2001
Links? cuz the last think I heard they can't come to an agreement?

<-- doesn't care about kingdom hearts. just want a new chrono game. :rolleyes:

gearhound1
08-23-2003, 06:02 PM
ah, no link. i really cannot remember where i read that......???

Magnus
08-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Pilotwings
<-- doesn't care about kingdom hearts. just want a new chrono game. :rolleyes:

<-- Same, but more like Chrono Trigger than Chrono Cross

Also another in the Soul Blazer series would be nice, but I doubt that will happen:(

Rubeus
08-23-2003, 10:57 PM
If this Square Enix game is the GBA "megahit" Nintendo mentioned earlier, and expected to sell 1-2 million copies, it could be one of these games:

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Dragon Quest V
3. Dragon Quest VI
4. Final Fantasy III
5. Star Ocean 1

gearhound1
08-23-2003, 11:53 PM
i would love to have CT on the GBA!:cool guy:

OF COURSE, all of the games you listed would be friggin' awesome:cool guy:

Escaflowne2001
08-24-2003, 05:42 AM
Well FF3 would be onthe PSONE to go with the rest.

Renegade X
08-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by gearhound
KH2&3 are already in development.

Actually their In Planning... it would be very stupid for Square-Enix to be making a game they could be sued into bankuptcy over if they actually released it with out disney's ok.

Anyways... I don't really care what Square-Enix is coming out with... I just don't want it to suck... because all I have to say is FFCC and FFX-2... could be they're actually going to release Star Ocean Until the End of Time this year.... could be FFXI for the PS2 will jointly come out with the PC version... I doubt it's a Parasite Eve Remake or Sequel... that was just a unfounded rumor... Chrono Break looks promising... might be Dragon Quest VIII (Dragon Warrior VIII for those uneducated US RPG gamers), it's been in supposed development longer than any speculated titles other than Chrono Break... but like I said, I just want a game that isn't over 2 years old and doesn't suck monkey poop.

Escaflowne2001
08-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Star Ocean 3 this year you wise!!! :crying:

Renegade X
08-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Star Ocean 3 this year you wise!!! :crying:

I'm sure you mean wish and not wise.... but your right because SO3 is already out in Japan.

My guess, it's not a FF, it's not a Chrono game, it's going to be Dragon Quest VIII is coming out this year in Japan... It's been in development for a while now... I can remember news going back to last September, but we haven't heard that much about it... one things for sure... it's not going to be a Square game, they've got too much of a full plate at the moment to come out with ANOTHER game this year.

Escaflowne2001
08-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Oh Oh! Valkyrie Profile 2 now that would be nice.

gearhound1
08-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Renegade X
Anyways... I don't really care what Square-Enix is coming out with... I just don't want it to suck... because all I have to say is FFCC and FFX-2...

what about them? and who cares if FFXI is two years old?

Renegade X
08-25-2003, 09:19 AM
what about them? and who cares if FFXI is two years old?

FFX-2, a uninspired T&A fest that should of never even been put into a planning stage much less made it to a actual release. FFCC, a game with potental, but that was cut short by the fact that it a pure gimick and cheap way for Square to get their GBA lisence.

And who cares, ok, lets take a quick poll, who here wants to buy a 2 year old MMORPG thats potental is severly limited due to it's console roots.... Ok, need something better, Who here would rather play Everquest 2? How about World of Warcraft? SWG? Yeah, I think you get the picture...

Escaflowne2001
08-25-2003, 09:49 AM
Nope, give me FFXI on the PC. Everquest has never floated my boat as they say...

I think they is nothing wrong with FFX-2 looking a damn lot better then FF:CC I hate those dungeon romp action RPGs.

gearhound1
08-25-2003, 05:36 PM
i am sure there is more to FFx-2 than tits and ass. i would rather play FFXI than any of those games you listed. FF-CC is going to be a great game.

SpaceManSpiff
08-26-2003, 04:11 AM
Id rather play FFXI than everquest.:o

Renegade X
08-26-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by SpaceManSpiff
Id rather play FFXI than everquest.:o

I'd rather play anything rather than FFXI because it's going to have a 3 year support period, tops before Square just desides to abandon it to make.... FF(Insert Roman Numberal) Online

Escaflowne2001
08-26-2003, 08:53 AM
I doubt they'll make another one completely online..:rolleyes:

gearhound1
08-26-2003, 04:33 PM
I'd rather play anything rather than FFXI because it's going to have a 3 year support period

where did you here that?

Escaflowne2001
08-27-2003, 02:37 AM
he made it up. :crazy:

Renegade X
08-27-2003, 04:04 AM
he made it up. :crazy:

True, I did, but can anybody tell me whats the overall premise of FFXI? I mean whats so great about FFXI that isn't already been done... well theres that 3 kingdom war thing... wait that kinda sounds like Planetside and Anarchy Online... the only thing different about FFXI is theres.... no wait, you can have pets in other MMORPGs so summons are pretty much a giver... hmmmm... gee I guess a lot of people are willing to fork over 50 bucks plus about 14 dollars more for a game thats basicly Everquest with prettier graphics... oh well... I'll just be going back to Star Wars Galaxies which by far has the best community and game premise I've yet to see from any MMORPG... Also in 3 years the PS3 should be out and if history proves true there will be a huge gap where you won't be to go online with the PS3 because they have to update the servers and crud like that, but I'm more than willing to be wrong on that point. Maybe Sony will do the smart thing and do all that ahead.... wait, this is Sony we're talking about... I keep forgetting the flubs every time a new everquest expansion comes out, boy what was I thinking.

SpaceManSpiff
08-27-2003, 04:45 AM
I'd rather play anything rather than FFXI because it's going to have a 3 year support period, tops before Square just desides to abandon it to make.... FF(Insert Roman Numberal) Online

I hardly believe that you would rather play ANYTHING instead of FFXI.

And I dont need to worry about when PS3 comes out, cuz I plan to buy FFXI for computer.

Escaflowne2001
08-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Yep, agreed me too.

Renegade X
08-27-2003, 01:56 PM
I hardly believe that you would rather play ANYTHING instead of FFXI.

And I dont need to worry about when PS3 comes out, cuz I plan to buy FFXI for computer.

Ok, let me put it like this... Any FF after FFVII sucks.... I have little doubt that FFXI is anybetter than the rest of those games. I mean theres nothing about FFXI that really grabs me as being worth a 14 buck price tag to play it month after month. And also I'd rather have a good blaster at my side rather than swords and sorcery. SWG is the perfect MMORPG because every base class depend on each other, Everybody depends on Entertainers to keep the mental power up and battle fatigue down, medics keep you a peak performance, artisans help keep weapons, armor, deeds, and other structures availble for sale, marksmen and brawlers keep the aggro big bad monsters off the artiasans while they search for resources, plus theres the war and over all who wouldn't love to run around in the Star Wars universe. Plus you know for sure that this game is going to be support as long as there are Star Wars fans.... so thats like... what at least 30 years? Plus then you have Everquest 2 that just excites me even more everytime some new information comes out. Plus compared to games like Middle Earth Online, Mythica... FFXI pales, if this was a year ago I would be with you guys, but it's been 2 years since FFXI came out and I just don't think it's worth the time to play because nothing all that great about it that I can't get from another MMORPG right now.

Escaflowne2001
08-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Yes but that's only your opinion as for every FF games after VII sucking I won't even go there. :crazy:

Renegade X
08-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Yes but that's only your opinion as for every FF games after VII sucking I won't even go there. :crazy:

Ok, maybe they don't suck but they have gone down hill each time a new one came out after VII... I mean look at X-2, I dare anybody to tell me that T&A is not that games biggest selling point.

Escaflowne2001
08-28-2003, 04:16 AM
and? the japanese love it and hell I don't mind it don't like like don't play it. Plus I thought FFVII was a big let down everything about FFVIII was better the characters, the story, the mini-games, the battle system. Ok everything but the magic system.

Seska
08-28-2003, 04:44 AM
My goodness, the FF8 battle system was BETTER than the FF7 one?

You have no taste.:crazy:

SpaceManSpiff
08-28-2003, 04:47 AM
Plus I thought FFVII was a big let down everything about FFVIII was better the characters, the story, the mini-games, the battle system. Ok everything but the magic system.

Oh come on, you cant be serious!!:crazy:

While I thought FFVIII was an ok game, it doesnt come near FFVII. You actually liked the story? The main plot was something called time compression, and yet they never gave an explanation as to what it is and why the sorceress wants to do it. Whenever any character would ask, "whats time compression mean?" they would get and answer of " I dont know", "Its too hard to explain." etc. And in FFVII you could go to the gold saucer and play cool mini-games, like the bike race, the snowboard game, and other. Plus you could bread chocobos. All FFVIII had was a very boring card game. As far as the battle system goes, FFVII was pretty good but simple. FFVIII's battle system, once you learned it was pretty good. Lastly, the characters in FFVII beat the characters from FFVIII any day.

Renegade X
08-28-2003, 07:19 AM
BLASHPHEMY!!! Somebody ban Escaflowne before the wrath of the almighty gaming gods rains down upon us all!! In other words, I laugh and flagulate in your general direction Esca... the ONLY magic system that out does Final Fantasy VII's is Chrono Triggers and thats because of the Duel and Triple Techs. I think I can speak for a good majority when I say I don't know what the heck was going threw the development team of FF8 battle system.

Magnus
08-28-2003, 08:25 AM
I know I didnt enjoy having to store and NOT use my best magic like Ultima so I could have good stats. The idea of junctioning magic to your stats probably sounded good in theory, but :crazy: in actuality.

Escaflowne2001
08-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Oh the predictable starts I reckon most people only say they all love FFVII so no one else picks on them it's like the schoolyard.

FFVII was a bore to me first time I finished it I was like oh great finished it then back to something better then played through Suikoden/Wild ARMs again much better.

Alucard
08-28-2003, 09:37 AM
I'm definately one who enjoyed FF7 more then the latter ones. Mainly because all the characters were really well fleshed out and the world was excellent. I also loved the side missions you could do with the main characters to learn more about them. ie, visiting Yuffie's village etc.

FF8 was extremely painful for me. Though not as dull as FF9, which I have only managed to get halfway through before I HAD to stop or my brain would melt. Will try it out at a later date when I actually can be bothered.

FF8 was a huge plot hole. The characters were all, I'm sorry, retarded. Sorceress, you just accept what she wants to do for the sake of the plot. You just accept Seifer wants to be a knight of the sorceress for no other reason then he just feels like it. Very SHALLOW rival character for your own btw. Squall was a mystery. Hated anyone getting close to him then suddenly falls for this absolute STUPID bimbo who has a thing for him and Seifer and god knows who else. Rinoa was by far the worst character ever created. She was in the resistance, fighting for something she believed strongly in, then suddenly decides I DONT WANNA PLAY ANYMORE and skips off with Squall. Thats just so wrong in a zillion different angles. The whole game was just a fat ACCEPT everything and like it. One of the worst stories for any game I swear..

Except for Vigilante. 'The skinheads have captured Madonna. You must rescue her'.

Magnus
08-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Well I enjoyed 7 but I enjoyed 6 far more. And Wild Arms, best PS1 RPG I played, that game kept me up all night longer than any other one. Havent played any of the sequels though, but hopefully this remake sticks pretty close to the original.

FF8= Confusing for me & everyone. If any FF needed a prequel/sequel to better explain a story, thats it!

Escaflowne2001
08-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Why confusing?

SPOILERS!!

Seifer wanted to help the sorceress for the very reason he seemed needed by her. In seed he was always being overshadowed by Squall who was better and more liked. So you could say it was because he was jealous though he comes through in the end and understands what he was doing is wrong.

You just have to think about it more I mean like at the Turks from FF7 now they were a shallow bunch of no-hopers.

Renegade X
08-28-2003, 11:41 AM
Ok... heres why FFVII SUCKS, It was the start of, Hey Teenagers have a multitude of problems as it is, why don't we throw in the world coming to a end and them having to almost literally be the sole heros.... Oooo, how about we have two chicks that need serious therapy for the 10 year old minds... and how about we have a trio of guys, one who's a manic depressive, another who eat too much and is a total dork, and another who is woman crazy and has issues with this.... size.... (why else would he carry a big gun?) OOOOOOOO! I got and even better idea, how about we have this dreamworld where you can play some somewhat cool characters that should of been the stars of the game in to the mix. And how about we throw everything else in.

Ok for those of you who bared with me, heres the deal... FFVII and the ones before it where geared with the older audience in mind... the characters where older and more mature... they weren't horny teenagers that were more concerned about hooking up with the hero or heroine as the case is in VIII-X... in a nutshell, FFI-VII:Real, well thought out stories, you can have the best battle system the world has ever seen but plain and simple folks... if the story sucks the game sucks and FFVIII sucks.... don't even ask me what FFIX is... *shivers* FFX a little better but the characters where still way too whine. Take a hint Square, and Konami too, don't think your getting off with that disgraceful character Raiden you tried to pimp off as the next solid snake, whiney teenage(or teenage looking) characters SUCK! Give us Clouds, Crono (Being Silent is better than being whiney), give us Frog, Solid Snake, and Link. Mature Characters are good, Immature Characters are bad!!!

Geez I feel like RPG motivation speaker.

Escaflowne2001
08-28-2003, 01:14 PM
Ok... heres why FFVII SUCKS, It was the start of, Hey Teenagers have a multitude of problems as it is, why don't we throw in the world coming to a end and them having to almost literally be the sole heros.... Oooo, how about we have two chicks that need serious therapy for the 10 year old minds... and how about we have a trio of guys, one who's a manic depressive, another who eat too much and is a total dork, and another who is woman crazy and has issues with this.... size.... (why else would he carry a big gun?) OOOOOOOO! I got and even better idea, how about we have this dreamworld where you can play some somewhat cool characters that should of been the stars of the game in to the mix. And how about we throw everything else in.

Well if you've ever watched anime you should know by know that's there always a guy that's wants to eat everything...Ryu (Street Fighter), Goku (Saiyuki) to name too. There's always someone that thinks he's hot ****e with the ladies. As for Squall he's just like me guess I can relate to him in that way the way you can't, and as you know there is a very thin line between Anime and RPG's.
and why would Irvine carry a big sniper rifle let me think maybe cuz' he's a bloody sharpe shooter...think. :)

Anything else you couldn't work out for yourself?

Renegade X
08-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Well if you've ever watched anime you should know by know that's there always a guy that's wants to eat everything...Ryu (Street Fighter), Goku (Saiyuki) to name too. There's always someone that thinks he's hot ****e with the ladies. As for Squall he's just like me guess I can relate to him in that way the way you can't, and as you know there is a very thin line between Anime and RPG's.
and why would Irvine carry a big sniper rifle let me think maybe cuz' he's a bloody sharpe shooter...think. :)

Anything else you couldn't work out for yourself?

*is about to get the might bashing stick of doom*

If I want to watch anime, I'll go to Best Buy and buy a frickin' anime DVD... There is not a very thin line, theres the grand canyon between Anime and RPGs.... And excuse me if I'd rather not play sterotypical anime style characters... now boy do I feel sorry for you... you actually think you can relate to a souless video game characters... I don't think any of us can relate to any video game character so don't even try to throw the crud my way. And it shows how much you paid attention to the game, Irvine carried a double barrel shotgun... oh and if you didn't get what I was saying... the problem with Final Fantasies after VII is that their WAY to anime like... one of the best things about VII is
SPOILER

Cloud didn't get the girl, Tifa or Aeris, you could assme he and Tifa went off happily hand in hand, but for all you know they didn't... yeah you had what we call sterotypical anime style characters, but they didn't annoy the heck out of you

Escaflowne2001
08-28-2003, 02:13 PM
*is about to get the might bashing stick of doom*

If I want to watch anime, I'll go to Best Buy and buy a frickin' anime DVD... There is not a very thin line, theres the grand canyon between Anime and RPGs.... And excuse me if I'd rather not play sterotypical anime style characters... now boy do I feel sorry for you... you actually think you can relate to a souless video game characters... I don't think any of us can relate to any video game character so don't even try to throw the crud my way. And it shows how much you paid attention to the game, Irvine carried a double barrel shotgun... oh and if you didn't get what I was saying... the problem with Final Fantasies after VII is that their WAY to anime like... one of the best things about VII is

lol, your right he did he only had the Sniper at the Parade silly me, but YOU must understand Final Fantasies are made for the japanese and they love anime it's bigger then Live-action movies there and putting anime style characters in games makes them go crazy simple as. If you don't like anime styled RPG's then stop playing RPG's there as a thin between Anime and RPG's they are so much alike it's hard to believe.

FFVII isn't that much different Seph was the pretty boy bad guy you usually find around, Tifa the big-breasted lead girl that's so familar in anime etc I could go on but you wont understand.

Drunken Savior
08-28-2003, 05:37 PM
Yeah, FFVII did start the trend I loathe about recent Final Fantasies:

a) Narritive that revolves around teenage angst.
b) Crappy Villians that I invested no emotions into at all. It wasn't a personal fight at the end at all.

I wonder why FFVII doesn't bother the hell out of me when VIII-X-2 makes me wanna rip my teeth out with dental floss and acid. Maybe it's the villians? The whole Shinra crew and Sephiroth were just....rad. I guess I'll have to ponder it for awhile...

Renegade X
08-28-2003, 06:20 PM
japanese and they love anime it's bigger then Live-action movies there and putting anime style characters in games makes them go crazy simple as. If you don't like anime styled RPG's then stop playing RPG's there as a thin between Anime and RPG's they are so much alike it's hard to believe.

I pray for your soul that Alucard doesn't see that, but I have to say, that has to be about the biggest pile of moogle poo I've ever read... Final Fantasy is certainly NOT made solely for the japanese because they don't even make up even half of what the US and Europe put into the sales of FF games, and also... if the characters in FF are to be anime style, then Square need to dit down and watch a few because only FFVII actually felt like it was anime inspired... VIII -- X-2 are more western sci fi and fantasy feeling if you ask me... also if the FFs where meant to be anime style, then why don't they have anime cutscenes... sorry Esca, but your fighting a dead end battle her, Square is concerned about one thing... money and showing off their FMV talents... and apparently their starting to pour sex into the equation with X-2. RPGs and Anime are nothing a life, for one... one you watch the other you play... that right that disregards you arguement. Second, if RPGs are inspired by Anime then I guess you could say that maybe even live action is inspired by anime... Third... there isn't always a guy that the ladies want in a anime, nor is there always a guy always wanting to stuff his face... Looks at Neon Genesis Evangelion... El Hazzard (OVAs and TV Series)... or Blue Gender... Even Escaflowne doesn't really fit into your sum up of a anime. Your giving a purely DBZ style kind of anime. Also Anime is more than just Mechs and Ethereal energy attacks.... think about animes like Tenchi or Lupin III, broaden your horizions man... You really can't label anything inspired by one thing anymore nowadays. Nor can you say that something is made solely for one culture. After all, I'm not Japanese and I love anime and video games...

Escaflowne2001
08-29-2003, 04:24 AM
Evangelion hmm... if I remember correctly Toji and his friend were a complete pair of perves. :big smile and then you mention Tenchi...WTF? that's it exactly fcuk Ryoko is always hungry and there all bloody want him. did you actually watch these programmes...?

I don't really care if you agree or not because to someone that watches alot of anime I bet I've seen a lot more then you FFVII-FFX have all had they anime inspired bits and if you can't see that when it's as plain as day infront of your face (Kuja being another pretty boy badguy, Seymour, Sephie, come to think of it FFVIII was the only one without one) then that's your problem isn't it.

I as for Square I very much doubt when they designing the game they give much thought to the Western world unless it's something like Kingdom Hearts.

:haha:

Also I mean RPG's like Wild ARms, Star Ocean 2, Tales Of Eternia and Final Fantasy have all had anime's made of them and RPG's like Granstream Saga, Wild Arms, Xenogears and more all have Anime bits that's how unlike anime they are and yes you play RPG's but half the point is the story which you WATCH!!

Alucard
08-29-2003, 07:04 AM
I'm not really going to comment too much because everyone has different standards. Some of us prefer complex stories while others are happy with no story. Ofcourse japanese games are going to be similar to anime. Thats like saying all Hollywood movies are like tv series. But the point I wanted to make is not everyone in japan like anime. I knew a girl from japan who hated anime. After years of watching it I myself can't stand 80% of the anime out there. I need specific kind of anime. Not just anything I can get my hands on. Bloody tired of the same boring crap thats like everything else. I like original stuff like Last Exile and Macross and blahblah. You can take your Inu-Yashu's and bayblades and fricken Mermaid pichi ****chi and throw them out the window.

Seska
08-29-2003, 07:29 AM
"Broaden your anime horizons, man! Watch Tenchi!"

Now thats a quote worth remebering for the inherent WRONGNESS about it. But well, Anime tastes and preferences aside, you both are wrong in parts and right in parts.

First, this crap what RPGs arent made with western audiences in mind. Puh-leeze. In case you havent noticed, we arent in the 80's anymore, Anime is a global phenomenon. Sure, the RPGs are developed in Japan and contain anime cutscenes - perhaps it has to do with the fact that Anime-style is whats always been done in Japan - you certainly woldnt expect them to change style to appeal to westerners, when that style is already appealing to them becasue of the huge Anime fad.

Even the .hack/ series of RPG, heavy on Anime as it is, is geared toward a western market, mostly those familiar with mmorpgs, which are FAR more popular outside Japan than inside it.

As for your choice in Anime, both of you get an F. Well, Renegade gets a D- because he mentioned Lupin III, the only worthwhile title in that list. And sorry to contradict you, Tenchi is what we call Harem Anime - all members of the cast lust after the main character, or rather the main character is surrounded by the cast that in one way or another wants a peice of him/her.

The "eating" schtick became popular with DB. Since then its the poor man's excuse for comedy in anime - ha ha look at me, I have a huge appetite, it makes me so funny! PLEASE. I avoid series that use hungy humor, like the pest.

Now, harem anime and hungry humor are just elements of SOME anime shows. To say that ALL anime has a guy with the cast lusting after him, or that some character eats always a lot, is a profoundly uneducated statement. In that I agree with renegade, you should broaden your Anime Horizons some, Escaflowne - only not with the titles he listed.

The way you are talking about Anime as a generic formula, its VERY clear that you havent seen a single show I recommended you a while back in another anime debate on this forum. Have a look at Serial Experiments Lain, and come back when you have watched it. Tell me how generic THAT is.

Remeber that Anime simply stands for ANIMATION. And that encompasses anything you can think up. It happens to follow very loose cosmetic guidelines that originated in JAPAN. Which is where most console RPGs come from today. Its only normal they use their own style even if its for a global market.

If you still dont understnad how this works, think of the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Its Hollywood produced and finaced, but made asian-style, in Chinese, made with the whole world (and not just China) in mind as the target audience.

Escaflowne2001
08-29-2003, 08:05 AM
Seen Lain but there's always ecxeption's to every rule and while anime is a woldwide thing 70% of RPG's never leave Japan, look at the GBA there are so many anime based RPG's there even a Initial D RPG Strategy game.

As for Robotech is'nt all that good Gundam's better probs doesn't help that ADV seem to only wanna release the dub version. As for my Anime tates Seska I bet I've seen most of the ones you like but there's not alot left now to see so I have to look in the more lesser known titles.

throw some titles my way?

Seska
08-29-2003, 08:14 AM
But we aren't discussing "Most" RPGs, are we? We were discussing the ones sold globally. Of course a lot never leaves Japan, I hardly see them porting Sakura Taisen, thats very Japan-geared. But even so, msot big-title Japanese RPGs get released here. Even Disgaea made it over. I woudlnt say 70%, thats grossly overstated. Its more like 20% for the next gen consoles.

More titles? You ahve seen all I already listed in the other htread? You msut be kidding,t ehres like 4 weeks nons topw atching worth of shows in that lsit. :p

Escaflowne2001
08-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Yes shame I'd seen most of them already, actually there is a new Sakura Taisen game planned for release in NA/EU aswell.

Who said we were talking about RPG's that were released WW huh? I know I never.

IoriYagami n8
08-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Seen Lain but there's always ecxeption's to every rule and while anime is a woldwide thing 70% of RPG's never leave Japan, look at the GBA there are so many anime based RPG's there even a Initial D RPG Strategy game.

As for Robotech is'nt all that good Gundam's better probs doesn't help that ADV seem to only wanna release the dub version. As for my Anime tates Seska I bet I've seen most of the ones you like but there's not alot left now to see so I have to look in the more lesser known titles.

throw some titles my way? What? Robotech has no dub. Robotech is a combination of several different Japanese series. Unless you plan to buy parts of three different anime series you won't get Robotech in Japanese. And then much of it won't line up due to name changes. It wouldn't be consistant. I enjoy Robotech, but I think it would have been better off just sticking with Macross and not using the other animes. If they didn't use the English then it wouldn't be Robotech. It would be Macross, Southern Cross, and something else that escapes me right now. All cut up into one series. But in essense the "dub" in Robotech is actually the original dialouge for the series.

Escaflowne2001
08-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Really! never knew that eitherway it's murder on the ears even Cam Clarke back then sounded wooden/horrible. Oh well I go on with it for now.

gearhound1
08-29-2003, 05:38 PM

throw some titles my way?

spriggan
kai doh maru
hellsing
project arms
x(movie and the series)
fushigi yugi
noir
VH D: bloodlust
blood

that is just a few:)

Escaflowne2001
08-29-2003, 05:49 PM
kaidohmaru (how Manga Entertainment advertise it) does look pretty interesting in the trailer I saw it looked rather bizzare a weird useage of color gonna pick it up on the 15th when it's released in the UK.

Project Arms never heard of that one what's it about? :spinface: if it's a good mecha one I'll be straight there.

As for the rest seen them Noir and X being the most entertaining I've always loved CLAMP's work. :big smile

gearhound1
08-29-2003, 08:32 PM
project arms isn't mecha, but it is truly a bad-ass series. all of the characters have "arms", which aren't what you think. they are enhanced nanomachines designed to be an amazingly devestating weapon. the 3 main characters were experimented on, allowing them to have these "arms" become one with their bodies. ryo, one of the three, has a powerful right arm that resembles a massive claw. now a secret organization is pursuing them for the technology. the action in this series is really cool; it is one of my favorites.

Seska
08-30-2003, 02:50 AM
Yes shame I'd seen most of them already, actually there is a new Sakura Taisen game planned for release in NA/EU aswell.

Then if you have seen "most" of them you should clearly know anime is not as generic and formulaic as you made it out to be earlier on this thread.

As for the new ST game, the story centers around New York, and from what I hear, it stars a new (possibly western) main hero, if the rumors are correct. I hope they wont get rid of Oogami, but it wouldnt surprise me, as this latest instalment is made with a glabal market in mind.

'nuff said.

Escaflowne2001
08-30-2003, 06:53 AM
project arms isn't mecha, but it is truly a bad-ass series. all of the characters have "arms", which aren't what you think. they are enhanced nanomachines designed to be an amazingly devestating weapon. the 3 main characters were experimented on, allowing them to have these "arms" become one with their bodies. ryo, one of the three, has a powerful right arm that resembles a massive claw. now a secret organization is pursuing them for the technology. the action in this series is really cool; it is one of my favorites.

Hmm.. that's sounds pretty interesting I'll see if I can find the first Vol. on Ebay :)

Just brought Steel Angel Kurumi anyone seen it doubt it's your cup of tea Seska.

Seska
08-30-2003, 07:36 AM
I have seen it, its standard anime fanservice crap.

Cobi*
08-30-2003, 09:27 AM
hmm, this thread is slightly off-topic. i kinda followed the "ffvii sucks" debate but i'm totally lost on how this thread is suddenly about anime now... eh?

well anyways, where does this game factor into all of this?

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game082803f.htm

is this the new game they were talking about or what?

SpaceManSpiff
08-30-2003, 09:31 AM
I dont think thats the game cobi, at least I hope its not.:crazy: Didnt they say they would announce it in September, and release it in Japan around christmas or something?

Pilotwings
08-30-2003, 09:54 AM
I dont think thats the game cobi, at least I hope its not.:crazy: Didnt they say they would announce it in September, and release it in Japan around christmas or something?

well if it is anything like their recent annoucements, such as dragon quest slime game or dragon quest sword tv game, they can just shove it. i have a feeling its another crappy title. :spinface: :o :spinface:

Escaflowne2001
08-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Seska
I have seen it, its standard anime fanservice crap.

there something I've noticed about you over my short time here you have no sense of humor. Plus there isn't really alot of fanservice and a pretty interesting story is there instead. . .

Nindalf
08-30-2003, 02:49 PM
there something I've noticed about you over my short time here you have no sense of humor.

Seska is a riot when you get to know him.

Me: Whats that Seska?
Seska: &#?%)#)#/)=#(?#"??"&/&!!!!!
Me: :haha:

Alucard
08-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Heres a handful of anime for you to see if you haven't yet, Escaflowne. Patlabor TV series, LEgend of the Galactic Heroes, Giant Robo, VGAi, KOR, Urusai Yatsura!!, Robot Carnival, X + Fushigi Yuugi as mentioned before, Ippo, City Hunter.

Go! Gogogogo!

Seska
08-31-2003, 03:17 AM
Well lets see, Steel Angel Kurumi is about a bunch of robot maids who fight in skimpy, revealing outfights.

NOOOOOOOO!!!! ITS NOT FANSERVICE! ITS ENLIGHTENING, INTELLECTUALLY STIMULATING ANIME!!

I do have a sense of humor - your posts however, are never funny. Stick to the day job. :p

Escaflowne2001
08-31-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Seska
Well lets see, Steel Angel Kurumi is about a bunch of robot maids who fight in skimpy, revealing outfights.

Revealing hardly what I would call revealing, Faye from Cowboy Beboop now thats revealing....anyhow my posts aren't meant be funny but you never like comedy anime's...

Alucard
08-31-2003, 12:31 PM
That is true...Seska does not like Urusai Yatsura.. HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE IT!!! :too mad:

Drunken Savior
08-31-2003, 04:29 PM
Dude, even I like Urusei Yatsura.

Escaflowne2001
08-31-2003, 04:43 PM
Yep between that Ranma and Inuyasha Rumiko Takahashi has created some excellent Manga. :cool guy:

Seska
09-01-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
That is true...Seska does not like Urusai Yatsura.. HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE IT!!! :too mad:

Uh, I love UY. I even own about 15 volumes of the Japanese manga and have four of the movies.

ITs RANMA I hate. :p Generic harem anime fighting crap. :p Only good thing about the show was Kuno. :D

Drunken Savior
09-01-2003, 03:04 PM
All I have is Beautiful Dreamer. I love it, such a good movie.

Alucard
09-02-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Drunken Savior
All I have is Beautiful Dreamer. I love it, such a good movie.

You need to watch the tv series and the rest of the movies. One of the greatest series ever made. Rumiko's best in my opinion. And that movie is also my favourite.