PDA

View Full Version : Scientists Achieve Teleportation!

Overlord
06-18-2002, 04:48 AM
ABC:
For the first time ever, scientists in Australia have been able to teleport matter - in this case, a laser beam.

Although teleportation has generally been consigned to the realms of science fiction ("Beam me up, Scotty"), these Canberra scientists were able to disembody a laser beam and reform it in another place

It's a long way from transporting humans, but it's an important first step. "At the moment physicists are still puzzling over how to actually do it with a solid material, so we have to start with an atom," said team leader Dr Ping Koy Lam.

-Source. (http://www.abc.net.au/news/scitech/2002/06/item20020617070959_1.htm)

Your Thoughts?

Alucard
06-18-2002, 11:38 AM
We Australians rule. We keep bringing up freaky things all the time.

WINDJAMMERS
06-18-2002, 05:44 PM
You do pretty good for a island once full of convicts and prisoners. :D

Alucard
06-18-2002, 10:44 PM
Dont make me come over there and blade you, mate!

King Takacs
06-19-2002, 12:33 AM
heh i think it's total BS.

HEY THIS IS MY FIRST POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overlord
06-19-2002, 01:42 AM
Alucard:
Dont make me come over there and blade you, mate!

Hey, is this (http://manifestation.org/~ill/images/funny/aussie_windaz1.jpg) the OS that you're running right now? :D

...So how long do you think it will be before teleportation goes mainstream?

And welcome to the boards, King Takacs.

hootie17
06-19-2002, 07:41 PM
well i don't think it is a question of main stream, it is more of when it will be able to transpot solid objects safely.

WINDJAMMERS
06-20-2002, 02:47 PM
That's the kind of attitude I'd expect from a former convicted felon, Alucard. Why don't you teleport over here and "blade" me?:D

gabriel
06-22-2002, 10:59 AM
I doubt they (those Aussie scientists, or Ausscientists if you will ;))will be able to teleport solid matter any time soon. It'll take even longer for there to be a teleporter in every household, let's say a couple hundred years.

I wonder how long it'll be before we have death rays and intergalactic travel :)

ATMA
06-22-2002, 01:16 PM
Well they better make like a backup system for that i mean comeon if i want to teleport in the states and like my arms get beemed to somewhere in south africa would be kinda freeky huh? So they better have a backup system for that !!
But i think this will take aloooooooooong time before they can even teleport something like a needle!!
so keep that famous qoute "BEEM ME UP SCOTTY" for alooooong time to yourself !!!:D

Kid0_oIcarus
06-25-2002, 10:55 AM
I could've sworn this had already been done before- teleporting light, I mean. Maybe it was something else though.

Congrats ATMA, I'm sure it was your valuable input that solved the puzzle.

Yeah.

:D

StarDust
06-26-2002, 12:49 AM
teleport??? what did they teleported?? an atom?? its gonna took 10 years to reach japan if it was done by atom by atom.... what if... there's a power serge... or something?? didnt teleportation already invented...?? the internet, faxes, telecommunication and arial signals?? Just like trying to invent a car when there's already have a lamborghini.... teleporting can never be done.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-26-2002, 12:33 PM
What does things are though, is not teleportation. And I think this HAS been done before.

A fax is just a copy of the same document. It's not really teleportation, because all the machine is doing is just scanning the document and sending the data to another location. You end up with two copies of the document.

Now here is the creepy part. To achieve the "magical" teleportation- matter has to disappear from one location and appear in another.

What these scientists, did, if I remember correctly from the article I read a long long time ago, is essentially read the data (atoms, what have you), destroy it, and recreate the exact same data in another location. Thus "teleporting" the beam of light. I think. :D

Think about it- technically it's teleported, but put yourself in the beam o' light's place ;) You'd have to be destroyed, and recreated in another location? How fun does that sound? Would it still be you? (and for you religious types- what about your soul? How does THAT work!?)

'Course I could just be delirious. In that case, feel free to politely chime in.