PDA

View Full Version : yet another reason why i hate electronics boutique (eb)...

Cobi*
08-12-2003, 05:14 PM
this is what i'm talking about... it pretty much speaks for itself.

Gamestop Proposes Settlement in Class-Action Lawsuit

GameStop has posted a proposed settlement offer on its website, providing details in the class-action lawsuit filed against it claiming that the company has been selling used games as new - a practice that is fraudulent under purchasing laws in the United States. If you've purchased software from Gamestop, Babbage's, Software Etc., Planet X, Planet Comics, Supr Software, Software Plus, FuncoLand, and Super Software, you may be eligible to receive damages under the proposed settlement.
Gamestop's statement claims that they deny all wrongdoing and liability, but due to the "uncertainty, risks, difficulties, delays and expenses involved in litigation", it's better to reach a resolution rather than go through the courts. Riiiight.

Anyways, if you have a receipt for new software on Dreamcast, GameBoy, GameBoy Advance, GameCube, Genesis, Nintendo, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Super Nintendo, Xbox, Sega CD, Saturn, Game Gear, 3D0, or NeoGeo console from a Babbages or FuncoLand retail location from April 12, 1998 through August 1, 2003, you will get...

**drumroll please***

...a coupon good for a five percent discount off the purchase price of any piece of software at the location where you redeem the coupon.

Hit the link above to find out how to get yourself a coupon, how to exclude yourself from the class action lawsuit, or where you can object to this pittance settlement by attending the Settlement Hearing.

source: the gaming-age (http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2003/8/12-32)

and before you say, "wtf cobi? this had nothing to do with eb!" let me clarify...

IMO eb is the one who should be getting sued! i first noticed this trend at electronics boutique stores (i wouldn't be surprised if the entire trend is attributed to them) and that is why i NEVER shop at eb unless i'm looking for a used game that i can't find anywhere else (including online; so as you can guess, i haven't been to eb in quite some time now). those fuckers are getting away with it and it pisses me off!! :too mad: now that gamestop is/has been sued eb has the opportunity to change their bull**** practice without having to go through any litigation!! excuse me while i go scream at the top of my lungs!

(ps. sorry for the foul language but i really hate eb more than you can imagine.)

Joe Redifer
08-12-2003, 05:35 PM
EB likes to sell their "preowned" games at only $5 less than the cost of a new copy. They really push 'em, too. They makes lots of money since they only buy 'em for around $20 or $25 from ya (if that). Why the hell would I want a used one when for $5 more I could get a brand spankin' new one?

Vicviper
08-12-2003, 06:09 PM
I agree. That is why EVERYBODY should start supporting there local gamestores instead of going to these bastard corporations where they tell YOU what you should buy and not buy. Stop buying stuff from EB and Gamestop and go to your local stores where used games are on average $32 or less for a game that retails for $49 brand new. Here in Colorado we have Buy Back Games and GameForce. Possibly a few others....

Escaflowne2001
08-12-2003, 06:18 PM
You pay what your happy with? :2happy:

gearhound1
08-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
EB likes to sell their "preowned" games at only $5 less than the cost of a new copy. They really push 'em, too. They makes lots of money since they only buy 'em for around $20 or $25 from ya (if that). Why the hell would I want a used one when for $5 more I could get a brand spankin' new one?

most of the time when someone comes in to buy a game that just came out, they will take it home and then come to the conclusion that it sucks. they will only get 25-30 bucks if they trade it in. after that, they will turn around and sell it for about 5 or 10 bucks less because the game just came out. most used game that have been out for a while are much cheaper than the new ones.

gearhound1
08-12-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Vicviper
I agree. That is why EVERYBODY should start supporting there local gamestores instead of going to these bastard corporations where they tell YOU what you should buy and not buy. Stop buying stuff from EB and Gamestop and go to your local stores where used games are on average $32 or less for a game that retails for $49 brand new. Here in Colorado we have Buy Back Games and GameForce. Possibly a few others....

i laught at game force. i worked at babbages for 2 years, and i can tell you anything you want to know(possibly). gameforce really sucks. they never get the new games in while everyone else does. they wait untl someone trades in a new game and then they turn around and sell it for about the same price as a new game. **** game force. the *******s who worked at the one where i used to live didn't know **** about video games.

Joe Redifer
08-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Gearhound
most of the time when someone comes in to buy a game that just came out, they will take it home and then come to the conclusion that it sucks. they will only get 25-30 bucks if they trade it in. after that, they will turn around and sell it for about 5 or 10 bucks less because the game just came out. most used game that have been out for a while are much cheaper than the new ones.

When you buy a game at EB and don't like it, they give you a full refund. Or at least they used to. Then they sell it as new. If you keep it past their 10 day limit then you'll get a pittance for it.

Gearhound (yes, I capitalized your name. Sue me.), perhaps the Game Force where you are is a different chain than the ones here in Colorado. Ours is GameForce (no space) and is franchised out by Lou Halboth. He is a Colorado man who used to run Power Play Games. But your location does not hint at where you are, so you could be in Colorado for all I know... though we've only ever had one Babbages and they closed down a looooong time ago.

Pilotwings
08-12-2003, 09:24 PM
haha, buy games at best buy, use the gamer gift card everytime you shop, and save $5. :o

Bad1
08-12-2003, 09:25 PM
EB is kind of a God send for gamers in my town, IMO. It is hard to find anything but the most popular/hyped titles anywhere but EB, here at least. Which sucks cause we have all sorts of stores(Best Buy, Cicuit City, etc.). Just recently, I was looking for a copy of Ultimate Muscle for GC. I looked everywhere for it. I avoid EB when looking for a new game, because I am aware of their shenanigans. So the next day, I decide to go look for it at EB. Low and behold they have it. Not only that, it was actually new. So I was pleased.

There is this new place in town called Game Crazy, they are attached to the Hollywood Video. Anybody heard of them? I've been thinking of checking them out.

Vicviper
08-12-2003, 11:00 PM
It all depends on who owns/works at the local shops. The GameForce that I frequent gets new games usually 1 day after EB and Gamestop. They also carry EVERYTHING from previous systems and a ton of imports. Just today I bought an extra pad for my TurboDuo as they had 3 of them and I wanted an extra just in case.
I have been to other GameForce's and BuyBack games where the workers knew absolutely nothing about games and tried to push crap on you and tell you lies. That is why I don't go to those stores any more.

gearhound1
08-12-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
When you buy a game at EB and don't like it, they give you a full refund. Or at least they used to. Then they sell it as new. If you keep it past their 10 day limit then you'll get a pittance for it.

Gearhound (yes, I capitalized your name. Sue me.), perhaps the Game Force where you are is a different chain than the ones here in Colorado. Ours is GameForce (no space) and is franchised out by Lou Halboth. He is a Colorado man who used to run Power Play Games. But your location does not hint at where you are, so you could be in Colorado for all I know... though we've only ever had one Babbages and they closed down a looooong time ago.

joe, you have been served.:D i am in little rock right now. the gameforce i was refering to is in jonesboro. when a customer wants to bring a game back(babbages, funcoland, etc.), it has to be in perfect condition and must be returned in 7 days. it is then shrink wrapped and put back on the shelf as a new game.

ah, i am going to start going to gameXchange again.....

Drunken Savior
08-13-2003, 12:25 AM
Shouldn't people KNOW that a game was used if the white label on top of the case was missing?

Sinful Sam
08-13-2003, 12:32 AM
I try to avoid buying games at EB, but they are more reliable in getting games in time. My local Target won?t get a new game after two to three days after EB gets it. There?s a Game Crazy near me but they won?t get certain titles for some reason.

Then there are the people who work in EB. Bunch of nerds (well the one by me)

SpaceManSpiff
08-13-2003, 01:36 AM
I buy all my used game from Amazon or Ebay. At least there I know what Im getting. At EB, for used games, they say that manual and original case might not be included, instead of just telling you if it is or not.:crazy:

Drunken Savior
08-13-2003, 03:59 AM
I only buy used games from close friends. Otherwise, I'll jusr fork over the cash for a new copy.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-13-2003, 07:43 AM
I don't buy used games, if there are new copies still out there somewhere. I don't know where you weirdos stick them cartridges!

SpaceManSpiff
08-13-2003, 04:59 PM
I only buy used games if the game is out of print.

flamingspiral
08-13-2003, 08:09 PM
I buy used games from EB, most of them costed no more than 20 bucks. I don't understand what the big deal is.

Bad1
08-13-2003, 08:17 PM
They(and other resale type stores) repackage lightly used games, then sell them as new. Which any smart consumer should be able to spot right away. I usually demand the new product. If they don't have it actually new, they give me an extra discount for being so smart.

Pilotwings
08-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Bad1
They(and other resale type stores) repackage lightly used games, then sell them as new. Which any smart consumer should be able to spot right away. I usually demand the new product. If they don't have it actually new, they give me an extra discount for being so smart.

the gamestop where i am, open the box, take the game out, slap a nasty sticker on the package, when you take it off, it leaves a nasty mark on the box. you take the box to the counter and they give you the game. :o

Joe Redifer
08-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Yes. Gamestop sucks. They all do that. They all suck.

Bad1
08-17-2003, 12:41 AM
My local EB doesn't do that. They re-shrinkwrap them(whether they label it new or used). Or they leave the empty box on the shelf and keep the games in those neat little ziplock baggies, in a drawer behind the counter. The only stickers they stick on the boxes are little price tags in the corner, that also indicate whether the game was pre-owned or not.