PDA

View Full Version : Where's Mario Kart?

baratus
06-12-2002, 01:14 AM
Man how would I love to get my hands on a new Mario Kart game for the GC, Nintendo showed us a small videoclip of it last year featuring Mario and Luigi riding karts, but nothing else since then. Are there any news of it?

Kid0_oIcarus
06-12-2002, 08:09 AM
I haven't heard anything, but word on the street sez it MAY be an online-compatible title.

Dunno how Nintendo's not-focusing-on-online-games-for-now, thankyouverymuch stance affects this, but that's what the word on the street is. My street, anyhow.

Black Sugar
06-12-2002, 08:13 AM
Probrably come out for the next year line-up, with Mario Tennis and Mario golf tagging along.

Stray Dog Strut
06-12-2002, 08:30 AM
It seems next year (maybe in E3?) that Nintendo will be showing all the sports games and all the new 'from scratch' games. Things like Golf, Tennis, Kart, Excite bike maybe? Snowboarding...
Hey we may even get a vollyball game to battle against Dead or Alive Xtreme! All I know is Nintendo is giveing us (maybe) too many games this year to battle with.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-12-2002, 10:34 AM
Yeah we've got enough games for this year. At least one at month.

Next year, we already have Legend of Zelda.

What I really want to know is if Donkey Kong Racing will be done or not. That game really caught my eye.

Vicviper
06-12-2002, 11:35 AM
Oh man, an online Mario Kart would kick major ass!!!!! I would love to smoke someone accross the country or world in a race or a battle. I will have sweet dreams tonight!!

FumieHosokawa
06-12-2002, 11:56 AM
I don't know why everyone thinks going online is the next (and only) step--"innovation", if you will--for Mario Kart, or any other classic. That's buying into the whole Sony/Microsoft mentality. Couldn't we play against each other over phone lines with X-Band almost ten years ago? At least I remember being able to with Street Fighter and Killer Instinct. Big freakin' deal.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-12-2002, 04:17 PM
Think about it, though. Mario Kart. Online.

8 real people behind each steering wheel- well holding the controller anyway.

If it doesn't go online, at least let it be LAN compatible!!

I liked running over the blocks on the ground ala SNES, instead of those stupid N64 & GBA floating boxes for items. So what if you can see them better!? Make them a little bumpy too, so you can roll over them. And keep them yellow with a white question mark.

Oh, and bring back the feather!!

I'm not saying online is the only thing that should be added. It's just that this is one of the games that could be improved upon by adding that function. It screams online!! It wants to go online. Please don't hold it back.

I also want mroe wacky tracks, with loops and shortcuts.. and different routes you could take.

And since I'm asking anyway, could you mail me out my copy for free? :rolleyes:

FumieHosokawa
06-12-2002, 05:12 PM
The more the merrier, I agree (LAN-capable would require those neat new personal monitors at E3), but it's still pretty much the same game regardless who you're playing against. I say take advantage of multi-screen mayhem by adding a sneaky component, like traps (wrong way signs, stuff like that from 60's race comedies), Mario-style pipe warps, and such. And a freaky first-person view. Maybe vehicle upgrades, but not the serious Fast & Furious sort; this is Mario Kart, after all, not Gran Turismo.

Vicviper
06-12-2002, 05:15 PM
I don't know why everyone thinks going online is the next (and only) step--"innovation", if you will--for Mario Kart, or any other classic. That's buying into the whole Sony/Microsoft mentality. Couldn't we play against each other over phone lines with X-Band almost ten years ago? At least I remember being able to with Street Fighter and Killer Instinct. Big freakin' deal.

:eek: :eek:

Are you crazy??? It is a big freaking deal. They need to have a very solid 1 player game. This goes without saying. But the multiplayer aspect needs to be there WITH online capabilities. It is so gratifying when you are playing somebody accross the country and you beat them. Online is the perfect thing for someone who doesn't have a lot of friends and want's to play against people. Online is great for when you've beaten the tournament mode over and over again in one player and you need to do something else. It's the ULTIMATE in replayability for games such as racing, FPS, sports, RPG, etc etc.:eek:

Stray Dog Strut
06-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Putting an 'On-line' prefix on the end of a game title is a bit lame. On-line should be an option in those type of games, like it was for Doom and Duke Nukem on the PC. I didn't do out and buy Doom on-line. When an on-line prefix is put on the end of a game, it means its purly designed for that game. eg, Half-Life counter-strike, ment only, really for multiplayer over the net or lan. a perfect game for an on-line option would be Animal Forest Plus. Its great when you play it one player, better when you have a friend who also plays it and on-line would be amazing! Your right by saying on-line isn't the next step, because, to be quite frank we've had the option for years. What Nintendo want to do is make games that souly exploit the potential of on-line gaming.
Back to the point, MC will be too good on-line!!!

FumieHosokawa
06-12-2002, 05:59 PM
It [online multiplayer]'s the ULTIMATE in replayability for games such as racing, FPS, sports, RPG, etc etc.

Maybe so, but only if the game itself is worth replaying. SDS is right, it's an option, not a gameplay upgrade. I admit I bought Ridge Racer Revolution for its link mode--there's nothing like trash talkin' your competition--but nowadays with so much to play out there, I don't think I'd pay fifty bucks for another Twisted Metal: Black, just to get less predictable opponents online.

Vicviper
06-12-2002, 06:39 PM
Straydog is also correct. I mean look at Phantasy Star: On-line. A very short 1 player quest. The game was definately meant to be played on line only if you wanted to thoroughly enjoy the game. All I'm saying really is gimme Mario Kart with the great 1 player mode that it's always had and the 4 player(offline) battle mode but also gimme the option to go online and whoop ass. It truly will add an extra layer of depth

baratus
06-12-2002, 11:21 PM
WHAT!!!!! MARIO KART ONLINE!!!!! Boy I hope Nintendo never falls on that pit, I prefer it like the good old days. And since Nintendo's new president said its too early from them to enter into the online world I guess I don't have to worry. I hate the way people make the consoles today, like a multimedia system! If you want to play online get a PC for crying out loud! I hope Nintendo keeps the GameCube like a console.

Bookbagninja
06-12-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by baratus
WHAT!!!!! MARIO KART ONLINE!!!!! Boy I hope Nintendo never falls on that pit, I prefer it like the good old days. And since Nintendo's new president said its too early from them to enter into the online world I guess I don't have to worry. I hate the way people make the consoles today, like a multimedia system! If you want to play online get a PC for crying out loud! I hope Nintendo keeps the GameCube like a console.

Dude, the way I see it, the game should still be as indepth by itself and the online part be an extra feature. That's Nintendo's whole philosophy on the subject anyway. Games with content first, then online and all it's facets. Don't worry anyway. Nintendo said they're gonna start supporting it later on in the year, 4th quarter to be precise, which is when they might even ANNOUNCE anything. So, no worries.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-13-2002, 07:42 AM
Yeah, we're not going to know anything solid anytime soon.

While we're asking, I want more characters! Maybe add a shyguy or two, and definitely bring back my Koopa!

Rubeus
06-13-2002, 03:03 PM
I don't think they Nintendo should make any more kart racing games, there are just too many kart racing games in the market and it is getting too repetitive and no innovative ideas.

Vicviper
06-13-2002, 03:59 PM
it is getting too repetitive and no innovative ideas.

Yes. We have a winner. This is where online play comes in. You NEVER have the same enemy AI. You will either race against someone who sucks or someone who will make you suck or maybe both. It won't be predictable. Just plain fun everytime you log on to Mario Kart servers.
I would have to say this is the next step for gaming. I myself back in 1995 when the PS was released was not wanting polygons and 3D games. Now it's the norm. I miss not having a lot of new 2D games to buy but I've gotten used to 3D just because the systems are more powerful and faster and it's not as bad as it used to be. In time after online is working and you start playing it you will accept it. Give it time and give it a chance, you might be surprised.

FumieHosokawa
06-13-2002, 04:42 PM
No matter where your opponent(s) come from, whether it's overseas or the other couch in the same room, without any innovation (read: further depth, new technique) in the gameplay, the experience will become repetitive. So Atari 2600 Combat is that much more challenging against your kid brother, or your champion cousin from out of town--there's only so much you can do to each other. Why not take that online, if that's the answer?

Rubeus
06-14-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Vicviper

Yes. We have a winner. This is where online play comes in. You NEVER have the same enemy AI. You will either race against someone who sucks or someone who will make you suck or maybe both. It won't be predictable. Just plain fun everytime you log on to Mario Kart servers.

You can already play the game in 4 players mode in the Gameboy Advance version, it's like playing the game "online" with 3 other players, so it's not all that innovative to me.

Black Sugar
06-14-2002, 11:23 AM
Agree with Reubeus here (-.-.. this is the second time i'm on ur side...-.-'.. what happen to us man..!? )

Online doesn't mean "innovative". Like Cel-shading , this on-online feature are becoming more of a trend than nothing else.

You want innovative, think how to innovate the gameplay, that's all. If you can't think of anything, then maybe the game was meant to be left alone.

Mario Kart GBA was nothing new.sorry!
The online should be seen as a feature, nothing else.

Vicviper
06-14-2002, 01:50 PM
I don't see what innovations you are looking for. The best thing they would be able to do is put in a random track generator. Or a create your own track type thing. That would be awesome. I would love that. In terms of measurement. You are right because online gaming would up the replay by 2 while a random track generator would up it by 10. But atleast it's something different.

I didn't find anything wrong with Mario Kart Super Circuit. I thought it was a great game. It must suck being overly picky and not enjoying simple things.

Black Sugar
06-14-2002, 02:17 PM
Oups, Did I forget to tell you that i'm one of the biggest of the original Mario Kart ^-^!.

Man, I didn't say that Mario Kart Super Circuit suck.

As a matter a fact, the game look like a upgrade version of the Snes (which is really really good).

As I said, the game doesn't offers any innovation... but that's doesn't mean that the game is bad either Vic.

What i'm trying to say here, is that online feature shouldn't be a pretext for innovation.

While they try to change a little bit the gameplay of Mario Kart 64 this didn't seem to work very well , and I personally hate it.

I only hope they do the same thing as they did for Super Circuit new levels,more weapons, more characters with a Lan party support. Gameplay-wise, they should stick to the original formula of mario Kart.

Vicviper
06-14-2002, 06:32 PM
OK. Bahamut, I agree with you. But wouldn't a random track generator be awesome?

Yoshi
06-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Vicviper
But wouldn't a random track generator be awesome? Yes, it would. It would be a double edged sword though. You may not know just when to let that shell rip to knock someone off the edge of the world. :D

FumieHosokawa
06-17-2002, 04:25 PM
Another thing I'd like to see is an ultimate race which takes you through every course one right after another, like with a warp--maybe though a Super Mario 64-type mirror--after a lap around each. (One beauty of the original SMK was that it incorporated many elements from the series.) There can be one-time hazards on new levels in case too big of a lead's built up by the leader.

hootie17
06-18-2002, 09:58 PM
i think the random track generator, or rtg as i will refer to it as, would be an amzing idea, but i think that an amazing is idea, steming off of that idea, is basically putting a time limit on a race, NO LAPS and one continous race for that time limit, and the rtg would generate new tarrain for the user in first place, but beacuse it is random, the person in first place would only be able to see xxx amount of feet in front of him/her and basically that would lead into hardcore grudge matches online, i which they would create 48hr games and it is for the pros who basically just see who can stay awake the longest.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-25-2002, 02:37 PM
Yeah, then the focus would shift from knowing the terrain to knowing how to kart.

Cobi*
06-26-2002, 12:09 PM
this game is done. the "ultimate" version came out for the gba. buy that and hope (and pray) nintendo move on to new franchises and fresh game ideas. reviving old franchises for new systems isn't good for their rep.

online? nintendo doesn't do online! they learned their lesson with the 64dd (wonder if they got the word out to sony and microsoft?... jk:p)

Kid0_oIcarus
06-26-2002, 01:05 PM
Mario Kart isn't "done" just yet.

Read the above posts, full of good ideas.

Add in kart customization
Throw in a random track generator
Maybe even the ability to design your own tracks
Add a few more characters (Easy way out)
Give each character a special ability
Create tracks with different paths to take
Add more world interactivity (chomping giant piranha plants)
Allow kart modifications, and different karts and parts to be purchased with coins con
Add certain goals, or creative kart games/modes
The list can go on and on....

Cobi*
06-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Mario Kart isn't "done" just yet.

Read the above posts, full of good ideas.

Add in kart customization
Throw in a random track generator
Maybe even the ability to design your own tracks
Add a few more characters (Easy way out)
Give each character a special ability
Create tracks with different paths to take
Add more world interactivity (chomping giant piranha plants)
Allow kart modifications, and different karts and parts to be purchased with coins con
Add certain goals, or creative kart games/modes
The list can go on and on....

eh, okay... some people will buy anything. count me out of that one. wouldn't this make mario kart even more like those car combat games we all hate so much (just with that precious mario liscense)? all i'm trying to say is there are better games nintendo could make. rather that re-hash old ones.

hootie17
06-27-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by cobi40-50

wouldn't this make mario kart even more like those car combat games we all hate so much (just with that precious mario liscense)? all i'm trying to say is there are better games nintendo could make. rather that re-hash old ones.

first off mario, though somtimes can be considered a sellout, is considered by most people to be classic, and Mario Kart is a classic game, as for the combat part of it, Crash Team Racing was amazing, and that had a battle mode, plus other events to expand the first-player mode, b/c most people buy these games to play with other people, and CTR really did a good job of expanding on it.
Every single one of the ideas suggested so far is good, expept putting in new characters, i say only add characters that are already in games, don't create new ones just for this game, mario has enough characters already, Walugi for example.

But just as long as it ends up having a good online fanbase the game, in my opinion will do alright.

in conclusion...
it is "all good"

Sesshoumaru
07-14-2002, 10:16 PM
I SO can't wait for Mario Kart on GC.
I loved (and destroyed my friends on the N64 ver.)
I hope it's something they do soon... :(