PDA

View Full Version : IBM labs unveil super-dense storage: Say Goodbye to Hard Drives!

Overlord
06-11-2002, 06:15 PM
News.com:
IBM researchers have created a storage device that holds up to a trillion bits of information, or about 25 million textbook pages in a postage stamp-size area, as the push to find new storage technologies rolls on.
The experimental prototype, part of an ongoing nanotechnology-research project code-named Millipede, is a chip containing more than 1,000 heated spikes that can make, or read, tiny indentations in a polymer film, said Peter Vettiger, the Millipede project leader.

Like punch cards in the computers of old, the pattern of the indentations--measuring 10 nanometers each--essentially is the digitized version of the data meant to be stored. The minute size of the indentations, though, means that Millipede chips are 20 times more densely packed with information than current hard drives. With this, cell phones could hold up to 10GB of data.

You can find more info on it, here (http://news.com.com/2100-1001-934815.html?tag=fd_top).

Your Thoughts?

WINDJAMMERS
06-11-2002, 09:02 PM
How long 'til it is out on the market?

Rubeus
06-12-2002, 01:25 PM
Taiwanese also invented a new DVD format that can hold 100GB per disc, single sided single layer. The maximum storage on these new discs can reach 400GB when using double sided double layer!!

k0ach
06-12-2002, 02:57 PM
rebeus, what kind of dvd is that? not that i'm an authority on it, but i've been reading that most of the leading tech companies are switching over to the blue laser dvd technology from the now used red laser technology. is this what you're talking about? if so, blue-ray discs have a recording capacity of only 27gigs compared with the 4.7gigs of the current red laser discs.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-12-2002, 03:45 PM
They're called magikal crack baby discs.. :rolleyes: just messing with ya Rebeus :D

This sounds like a pretty neat toy IBM's got there.

From teh article
"There is not a single step in fabrication that needs to be invented," Vettiger said. "I could imagine that if everything works well, then in the late 2005 timeframe something could be available."

Well! Looks like we'd better start camping now!!

Kid0_oIcarus
06-12-2002, 03:51 PM
Even more surprises!
Heat is at the heart of Millipede. Each of the spikes on a Millipede chip contains a heating resistor and sharp tip. To make an indentation, the resistor warms up the tip to 400 degrees Celsius as well as the polymer recording media, located less than a micron away. The hot tip is then plunged into the film, which creates a dent.

To read stored data, the tip is heated only to 300 degrees Celsius, Vettiger said. This allows the tip to interpret the pattern embedded in the film without changing the pattern of the indentations. Unlike hard drives, where a needle moves to locate data, in Millipede the tips stay stationary and the film moves.

"The number of tips working in parallel determine the read-write speed," Vettiger said.

Millipede chips can also be re-used by reheating the film and letting it ooze to horizontal.

I'm always dazzled by new technology.

And for those of you exclaiming "hot potato!"bear in mind it'll only heat up for a few seconds, and that since we're talking eeny tiny size here, it'll only take a miniscule amount of electricity to power!

And yes, heat from other sources, movement, and packaging are still issues at the moment- but nothing that can't be overcome.

I'm gonna go to Best Buy and see if I can reserve me one! w00t!

Overlord
06-14-2002, 04:47 AM
Rebeus:
Taiwanese also invented a new DVD format that can hold 100GB per disc, single sided single layer. The maximum storage on these new discs can reach 400GB when using double sided double layer!!

k0ach:
if so, blue-ray discs have a recording capacity of only 27gigs compared with the 4.7gigs of the current red laser discs.

Yeah, I heard about the 27-30GB disks. I think it was made or used first by Panasonic. But I never heard of the 100GB ones.

Pretendo
07-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by k0ach
rebeus, what kind of dvd is that? not that i'm an authority on it, but i've been reading that most of the leading tech companies are switching over to the blue laser dvd technology from the now used red laser technology. is this what you're talking about? if so, blue-ray discs have a recording capacity of only 27gigs compared with the 4.7gigs of the current red laser discs.

There's a more advanced technology being developed, called Fluorescent Multilayer Discs (FMD). Standard 12cm disc, holds in excess of 90GB's. The discs themselves are clear and use a laser which illuminates the disc (hence the name fluorescent). I read this about a year back, forgot all the other details:crazy:

But it's good to know IBM's developing the HDD add-on for GameCube. It's definitely in good hands.

admin
07-15-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Rebeus

This is a new DVD technology which minimizes the gaps between the tracks on the disc surface, resulting in a much higher density and a capacity of 100GB on a single disc.

It is first announced in Taiwan in April I think. They said this new technology can be pushed out to mass market a lot faster than the other new DVD technologies because it is backward compatible with the existing ones.

This is like a big hammer to those blue laser technologies, a lot of the Asian firms like Asus and Acer are planning to adopt the 100GB technology, instead of the blue ray.

Kid0_oIcarus
07-15-2002, 04:05 PM
*blinks* Well couldn't they do both? ???

Why, they could do all three!!!

You could have flourescent, high density DVD.. read by a blue laser light!!

By my calculations.. *punching numbers*

That would be approximately..

A bagillion amount of sotrage capacity d00d!! :yikes:

Drool over THAT!!

Hurry.. reserve yours today!! :cool guy: