PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me if this was a good deal?

Spited Pariah
07-22-2003, 08:49 PM
My comp is dying, no doubt about it... so Its time to break it off with my current set up, and reaffirm a new set of vows for a new piece

only this time, I didn't buy a premade

Just want to know if the cash I spent:quality of the comp ratio is good since I dunno much about computers and what not

http://www.ibuypower.com/images/pc-46-1-large.jpg

BOARD: POWERCOLOR 865APE i865PE CHIP 800FSB 8X AGP MB W/ LAN/5.1 SOUND/USB 2.0
CAS: RAIDMAX SCORPIO-868 MID-TOWER CASE + 350 WATT POWER + WINDOW...[as shown]
CASCOLOR: SILVER COLOR
CAS_1: [RED] COLD CATHODE LIGHT (+ 19)
CD: 16X DVD-ROM
CDCOLOR: SILVER COLOR (+ 2)
CDRW: 52x24x52 CD-RW DRIVE
CDRWCOLOR: SILVER COLOR (+ 2)
CPU: Intel? Pentium? 4 Processor 3.0 GHZ CPU [800MHz FSB, Hyper Threading Ready] (+ 1289)
FAN: CERTIFIED CPU FAN AND HEATSINK
FDD: MITSUMI 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE
FDDCOLOR: SILVER COLOR (+ 2)
HDD: 120 GB 7200 RPM ULTRA ATA-100 HARD DRIVE (+ 29)
IEEE1394: IEEE 1394 FIRE WIRE PCI CARD ONLY (+ 29)
KB: [SILVER] COMBO: VIEWSONIC WIRELESS KEYBOARD + WIRELESS MOUSE (+ 49)
MEMORY: 1024 MB DUAL CHANNEL DDR-400 [512MB X 2] PC3200 MHZ (+ 95)
MONITOR: [SPECIAL!!!] VIEWSONIC 19-INCHES E90 .23H DPI HORIZONTAL SVGA MONITOR
NETWORK: PCI 10/100 NETWORK CARD
SOFT3: FREE NORTON 2003 ANTI-VIRUS
SOUND: 5.1 CHANNEL 3D SURROUND STEREO SOUND ONBOARD
SPEAKER: [BLACK] CREATIVE LABS INSPIRE 5200 5.1 SURROUND SPEAKERS + SUBWOOFER (+ 15)
Subtotal: 1631.00
Subtotal1: 1631.00
USB: STANDARD 2X USB 2.0 PORTS
VIDEO: ** 8X AGP ** NVIDIA GEFORCE-FX 5600 256MB W/ DVI + TV OUT 8X AGP VIDEO (+ 102)
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS FREE 1 YEAR iCARE DELUXE ONSITE SERVICE

1,631 bucks for it

is it a winner for the price? yes or no? and please give like reasoning and junk behind it

gracias

note: I have a 120 gig hd in my current comp, which i will take out, and put into the new comp for a 240 gig set up

Seska
07-23-2003, 06:25 AM
If you ask me, thats an excessive price for a PC. For 700-900 bucks you can get a top of the range Pc, even for less if you are going to be using your own dvd/cd drives, monitor, sourdcard, etc.

120 gig HDs at 7400rpm are DIRT cheap at about 100 bucks apiece. RAM has gone up in price recently but is still very cheap.

You have to know what you are going to use your PC for, if you arent that hot about games and just want it for movies and sound and the net, you can forget about whacking a Geforce FX in there. Thats probably the msot expensive item int eh whole lot - along with the 3ghz intel processor. At high clockrates intel is DAMN expensive, and I personally choose AMD over intel, since for half (or sometimes a third) of the prie of an intel, you get the same, and sometimesbetter performance, in particular for games.

Hell, for about 1200 bucks you should be able to get a top spec system with a dvd burner and a tft monitor. 1600 is just way too much.

Alucard
07-23-2003, 07:01 AM
My advice is dont go with the Pentium 4. Sure its very powerful but its also very expensive, and you're also spending more money on ram because of it. Go with a AMD system.

Aside from that the system is fine. But my only gripes are the motherboards a little below average, the hard drive SHOULD be a ATA133 not 100 as thats rather dated. The speaker system is pretty sad. But the biggest problem with that system is the video card. Piece of crap. No point having a 3gig cpu if the graphics card wont utilize that power properly. Much too weak. If you were to spend an extra $300 you could fix all that and get a system that would last 4 years. Problem is you could also save a couple hundred going with the AMD. Theres a few ways you could go... But to be honest I wouldn't be happy with that system if I were you. The graphics card is just TOO weak.

Nindalf
07-23-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Seska

Hell, for about 1200 bucks you should be able to get a top spec system with a dvd burner and a tft monitor. 1600 is just way too much.

Wow, where ever you guys live stuff is cheap, back in the day if i would have putten all the crap in my PC, it would have costed ?3200. (Roughly, is just turned the old money into Euros) And it hasent got too much cheaper.

Alucard
07-23-2003, 09:41 AM
You should be able to get a real awesome system for about $1000 US. At most. And thats splurging on a few things too. Though if you're gonna pay around $1500US then you should be a real excellent sound system with it and a few other things.

Whats the website for that place you were checking for that system? I'd like to go see if they have anything a little better for you.

Nindalf
07-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Spited Pariah

only this time, I didn't buy a premade

Just want to know if the cash I spent:quality of the comp ratio is good since I dunno much about computers and what not

Correct me if im wrong, but dosent that mean he already bough it?

Anyway, atleast the pic is from this site, so probably he bought/going to buy it from here.

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm

Kid0_oIcarus
07-23-2003, 10:32 AM
um.. the case looks kinda cool!

Since it sounds like you already bought it, no point in worrying yourself too much over whether it was a deal or not. Unless you can get a refund or something.. but it looks nice and will run well enough.

Be happy. Don't worry.

Drunken Savior
07-23-2003, 11:33 AM
He could always get a newer video card?

SpaceManSpiff
07-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Could someone make a list of graphics cards from best to worst, so I know what to look for?

Edit: and the type of motherboard I should get.
Edit#2: and a good site to find comp stuff etc.

Edit#3:D come on, someone must know something...:(

Kid0_oIcarus
07-24-2003, 11:16 AM
I'd get an ATI 9600 Pro (around $200) and OC that sucka... (it's very OCable)

'Course, I 'd wait till early 2004 to upgrade.. since that's around when the next big games will be out (and no, I don't think HL2 will make its supposed Sept 30 release date)

Alucard
07-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Sept30? Why you ever pay attention to that date for. It'll be out around end of november I'm thinking.

And 9600 is a bit too weak for the HL2 game. Well, depending really. Best is ATI9800pro and Geforce FX5900. After that just check places like www.tomshardware.com or www.sharkyextreme.com just to name a couple places. Lots of reviews there for anything you need.

Kid0_oIcarus
07-24-2003, 02:32 PM
No! Both Tom's hardware and HardOCP are biased hotheads... I'd stick to Anandtech.. though I'm not sure about SharkyExtreme..

Alucard
07-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Anandtech are great. But Toms biased? No chance. He's one of the most respected reviewers of any hardware site.

mackensie
07-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
No! Both Tom's hardware and HardOCP are biased hotheads... I'd stick to Anandtech.. though I'm not sure about SharkyExtreme..
agreed.
tom's most definatly biased towards Intel (imo of course). i also don't like his reviews....

-ad-
=paragraph of text=
-ad-
=paragraph of text=
-next page-
-ad-
=paragraph of text=
-ad-
=paragraph of text=
-next page-
-ad-
=paragraph of text=
-ad-
=paragraph of text=
-next page-
-ad-
=paragraph of text=
-ad-
=paragraph of text=
end of review...

but anyway, you may have slightly overpayed for the computer, but it looks quite good, and if the parts are reliable, then its a pretty good deal.