PDA

View Full Version : Adult Link to Appear In Soul Calibur 2!

Overlord
06-10-2002, 07:14 PM
Gamers.com:
Lately, Link seems to have split into two entities--witness his dual role as Link as well as Young Link in Super Smash Brothers Melee. The younger one, clearly, will be starring in The Legend of Zelda for GameCube. But the older one is still around as well, and he'll be appearing in the unlikeliest of places.

Our sources in Japan tell us that the GameCube version of Namco's Soul Calibur 2 will feature the older, harder Link from the infamous Spaceworld 2000 video as a hidden playable character. Unlockable only with the game, no extra peripherals required, Link's trusty Master Sword will almost certainly be included in the arsenal that is Soul Calibur 2. It looks like the Triforce deal between Nintendo, Sega, and Namco is producing some interesting fruit--who knows what'll be next ... ?

-Source. (http://www.gamers.com/news/1174273/)

Not confirmed yet.

Your Thoughts?

Vash
06-10-2002, 08:18 PM
I think it sounds pretty cool but im skeptical. Isn't this game being released on the PS2 and Xbox as well? I doubt Nintendo will allow their property appear on other systems. but if this appears on the GC version only it may be a good incentive to buy the GC version. but who knows, i'd like to see it.

Black Sugar
06-10-2002, 11:45 PM
I doubt it really!

But hey, who would believe me if I told you that Sonic would be apparing in the next Nintendo console 10 years ago...?

Bookbagninja
06-11-2002, 01:11 AM
Sounds like it to be true, sir. I could see it happening, as an GC exclusive. Stranger things has happened, and those exclusive things always occur.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-11-2002, 07:32 AM
No reason why this CAN'T be true.
I would think the PS2 and xbox versions wouldn't get Link.

Just one more reason to look forward to the game.
Gonna be great...

Vash
06-11-2002, 09:13 AM
i have no doubt this game will be great with or without link. i wonder if the other 2 consoles would get a specific hidden char then.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-11-2002, 09:21 AM
Gamers.com says no plans are for other platform specific characters to appear in the other two consoles. Just one more fruit borne from the Triforce tree, methinks.

Vicviper
06-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Wow if Namco is doing this to Soul Calibur 2 just think of what Sega can do to F-zero. What if they had a track running through Dobuita or Wan Tai, from Shenmue? That would be sweet!!!
I'm really liking the idea behind Triforce.

Rubeus
06-11-2002, 11:12 AM
I think this is most likely bogus, remember the same thing happens months ago when people keep saying Sonic is in Super Smash Bros. Melee?

Kid0_oIcarus
06-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Actually even IGn has comfirmed it in todays insider Insider "Hyrule Times" article, I found it in another forum }:D

They didn't know anything about other platform specific characters for the other two consoles, but they had mock screens up to give an idea of what it might look like.

Sounds legit. More legit than that new Mario side scroller, anyway.

WINDJAMMERS
06-11-2002, 01:47 PM
I bet M$ is going to appeal to Namco with a ton of $$$ to put that Halo guy in the game. :D

Link deserves to participate in a real fighting game.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Man if they put Halo in there he would win all the time!! :rolleyes:

Prolly 'cuz he'd simply shoot everyone.

Haha, that'd be funny. In a really lame sort of way.

I dunno why, but having Link in there, just really fits.

What other famous character would fit really well in the game?

Vash
06-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Man if they put Halo in there he would win all the time!! :rolleyes:

Prolly 'cuz he'd simply shoot everyone.

Haha, that'd be funny. In a really lame sort of way.

I dunno why, but having Link in there, just really fits.

What other famous character would fit really well in the game?

He'd just punch everyone in the back of the head ... instant kill :o

Overlord
06-11-2002, 05:10 PM
It's not really a surprise. Namco helped create the Triforce board. And Nintendo also gave them the rights to make a Star Fox game.

ATMA
06-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Hey to bad Capcom isn't in this, would be cool to see Dante with the soul calibur sword fighting (without the guns ofcourse)only with one laaaarge sword!!!

On topic:Perhaps Nintendo will get Link and PS2 and x-box will get some character from the previous Soul Calibur titles!!
Din't MS payed more so they can get alittle extra in that spiderman game??So perhaps the big N will be the only one that will get a differant one heh??But time will tell!!!

Overlord
06-11-2002, 07:24 PM
The PS2 version was supposed to come out 3 months before the other versions. But it turned out to be a rumor. Maybe, they'll put Yoshimitsu in again for the other versions. And since Link will most likey be a secret character. He might be a clone of another. Same move set.

drkstr655
06-11-2002, 08:09 PM
its not gona happen sorry

http://gamecubexl.com/new/dailynews/fullnews.cgi?newsid1023838038,73269,

WINDJAMMERS
06-11-2002, 08:35 PM
Hey drkstr, is this a reliable source? I've never heard of them before. Where did they get their info from?

Update: Gamers.com has a screenshot. It looks reasonably real. The only thing that I find strange is the cape on the guy opposing Link looks a ****load like Ganondorf's.Spaceworld SC2 pic (http://www.gamers.com/image/1174278/1174273/0/news?page=1)

Vash
06-11-2002, 10:14 PM
that screen is not of SC2 but an early Tech Demo used for the Gcube. it is Gannondorf you see in that picture.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-12-2002, 08:26 AM
IGN had an insider article up about the same thing. Dunno if they confirmed it or what. That link, sez it ain't gonna happen. But all the other sites say yes.

And Nintendorks is a fansite, dunno how reliable their sources are. Just because you work in Namco doesn't mean you know anything.

Hmm.. It'd be nice to see it happen.

Yeah, all those screens up now only show Link from the Spaceworld tech demo.

Black Ace
06-12-2002, 10:12 PM
Boy, what a kick ass demo that was. It still by far, have the greatest visuals displayed on GameCube.

A Zelda game like this will show up after a few years when the cel-shaded Zelda comes out.

squall_leonhart
06-12-2002, 11:06 PM
that would rock if they put link in soul calibur 2, but it wouldn't be fair to the other characters, i mean how are they suppose to compare to link?

P.S. the "guy from halo" is called master cheif

Kid0_oIcarus
06-13-2002, 07:54 AM
Anyone got any other updates to this?

Gamers.com learned that Link would appear in SC2.

Same day, IGN had a story up "Hyrule Times" that said Link WAS going to be in SC2. Insider and everything, but I found the article in another forum..

Nintendorks says they've got a source in Namco that says it's not happening.

Yesterday they had another article about it, but it was Insider only. So I dunno what was said.

Is he gonna show or what?

I'm so confused! :D

EDIT: Thank you for answering your question, Pit.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-13-2002, 10:31 AM
Well I read today's N-query and here's what transpired.

Link Not in SC2?

You guys should really let the readers at IGN know that Link being in SC2 was false. According to [another] website, Namco said they have no plans to have link in SC2.

Matt responds: I saw that quote. A UK Namco representative basically said that he hadn't heard anything about that happening. Not exactly a direct denial, but even if it were, our sources on the matter are pretty solid and we plan to stick by the story.

If you remember, Nintendo said that it had no plans to drop the price of GameCube exactly one week before it did. In other words, the official word isn't always the truth.

Or in other words, just 'cause you work somewhere doesn't mean you know everything that's going on. ^_^

EDIT: You're sooooo welcome!

Yoshi
06-17-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Or in other words, just 'cause you work somewhere doesn't mean you know everything that's going on. ^_^Isn't that the truth...

My employer treats me like a mushroom: They feed a lot of shit and keep me in the dark.

hootie17
06-19-2002, 06:53 PM
haha, i get it "tri-force deal" i get it!,
b/c there are 3 companies haha"
(sarcastic tone)

Sound like an ill idea anyway.

Stray Dog Strut
06-20-2002, 10:09 AM
Gamecubexl is load of crock. I go to there site occationaly and they post faulse info all the time. remember when some dude made up a rumor about Zelda OOT being remade on GC and it would come in a 3 cd special, with cloth map etc etc. (taken from lunar or arc the lad) then days later the guy owned up to it. well, gamecubexl posted this on there web site and slated it as a rumor, straight from Nintendo, even tho the guy who owned up to it said it was faulse info. On many other accounts that have lied, but can't remember tham right now :) The point is, is that IGN have never to my knowlegde posted faulse info. And if they dedicate a section to it, well, I didn't see April 1st any where on the site, so it must be true. I mean who'd of thought that the main man at Nintendo would say that sonic would appear in the new MC on GC? Who'd of thought that Namco would make the proper sequal to Starfox 64? Anything can happen with Nintendo these days, so I would dismiss this info right away.

Black Sugar
06-20-2002, 11:35 AM
truth to that truth to that!

Vash
06-20-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
truth to that truth to that!

i second that.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-24-2002, 03:06 PM
Am I too late for thirds?

turkeyboy
06-24-2002, 08:03 PM
IGN has been wrong before, I trust PGC over them all the time. Remember how they had up that Zelda would be delayed and that was for Insider only? Well it's still slated for year 2002 in Japan right now and it's still slated for fiscal 2003 in the US as Nintendo stated all along.

They also still believe that Rare is going third party and believe that they are hard at work on Xbox games. So far nothing has come out of that but denials. There are other things but I can't remember them right now.

I do believe though that Link will be in SC2. PGC puts up stories on their site as long as they have at least 2 reliable source(IGN is not one of them ever). So they haven't gone back and said it isn't happening so as long as that doesn't happen, I'll believe it(or when the game comes out and he's not in it).

Overlord
06-24-2002, 08:08 PM
Gamers.com was actually the first site to put up the news. It was kinda pointless for IGN to make this Insider. Since they weren't even the first people with news.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-25-2002, 08:48 AM
Holy poultry, turkeyboy, I agree! I prefer PGC over IGN as well. Now then- off to the turkeymobile!! >cue cheesy music here< Gobble gobble.

Though they've reported IGN news before.

And yes, Gamers.com was how I found out about it as well, from a linked PGC article, no less.

Then I rushed over to IGN to see if they had anymore to back it up.. only to discover it was "insider" only.

Eh. I think it was "insider" for a day only, though.

Overlord
08-31-2002, 08:17 PM
Looks like theres no Link in the game afterall. Here the interview with Namco, threres also a little about Tekken and Star Fox Armada.

It has been confirmed...no Link in Soul Calibur 2. Link inside.

CubeNation.com had a chance to interview Namco at ECTS2000 and it was confirmed. For Link lovers everywhere, I'm sorry.

CubeNation : When will Soul Calibur 2 be released on GameCube?
Namco : In Japan in January I think, for Europe there's no date yet for the moment...

CN : Link in Soul Calibur, a dream?
Namco : Yes, that is false!

CN : Is Tekken on GameCube possible?
Namco : No, Tekken is exclusive for PS2, therefore not...

CN : Will Star Fox Armada be shown at the Tokyo Game Show?
Namco : No, Star Fox Armada will be introduced at E3 2003.

CN : Its release will thus be after the E3. During the summer?
Namco :Yes, I think it will be summer fo Japan.

CN : Tales Of for GameCube will also be presented at E3?
Namco : No, Tales Of will be officially presented at Tokyo Game Show!

CN : You inevitably have other projects with Nintendo?
Namco : (laughs) Yes but I can't speak about them for the moment...

-Article. (http://www.gamecubeland.com/index.php?page=news&news_id=116)

Black Ace
09-01-2002, 12:24 AM
Big disapointment, I was looking foward to seeing it.

Penance
09-01-2002, 03:03 AM
Link wouldn't have fitted in all that well with the others anyway. They would have had to make some big changes to his apperance.

nintendo
09-02-2002, 12:53 AM
i have heard countless other sources talking about this for months. as far as i knew it was confirmed by the developers months ago. and no link will not appear on the other versions.....duh.

Overlord
09-02-2002, 01:18 AM
Link may not be in the game, but atleast he won the GameFaqs Tournament! Go Link!

...Still, I don't think Namco of Japan has said too much on this. And the interview may be from Namco of America. So there still may be a chance.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-02-2002, 10:36 AM
You'd think with so much information everywhere people would tend not to be misinformed.

Well then.. you'd be wrong.

Bah! We'll have to wait to when the game comes out, I guess.. I too thought it'd been confirmed by the developers!