PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 minimum specs revealed.

Alucard
07-18-2003, 04:33 AM
Oh this is too funny.. The OFFICIAL min specs listed are ...

1GHz CPU
256MB RAM
GF1 or Radeon 7xxx series card

Hands up who sees a problem here. They really need to totally get rid of the min spec part on the game boxes. Some poeple take these too seriously. Its just fuel for the idiots to come back and try to refund their games, complaining that their systems wont run the games. WHY IS MY GAME ALL JERKY AND UGLY MY SYSTEM HAS MINIMUM SPECS I WANT REFUND CRAP GAME!!

I'm seeing Doom 3 running at like 10fps at resolution 640x480, and the texture detail looking like sludge. ..uh..rant over.

insteefy
07-18-2003, 06:23 AM
GF1, lol!!!

min specs mean u can INSTALL the game and START it up, not that u can actually play it. I usually double them, something u should do too :)

Alucard
07-18-2003, 07:54 AM
No fear here! My system is happily more then double everything listed. I like to keep my system updated so that it only costs me $100 every year or so. Getting ready for Half Life 2. Doom 3 can kiss my arse! Though I'll play that too most like.

Nindalf
07-18-2003, 08:38 AM
hehe, my comp only has 700mhz :D

Alucard
07-18-2003, 08:40 AM
March right to the store and upgrade! Its cheap! Hasle parents if you must and claim PC is to help for school or whatever. Consoles are for games. CHEAP I SAY!

Reality
07-18-2003, 11:27 AM
My word, I'm very interested in seeing how it looks with those numbers. Because all I ever seen was the high stuff.

Icarus4578
07-19-2003, 08:24 AM
That's why I don't like buying games for PC, because all the new stuff almost always requires upgrades which costs more money than i'm willing to dish out. Doom 3 is good for its graphics, but that's probably it. What you're looking at is another FPS with more polygons. Half-Life 2 may do more for the genre, but there is a lack of creativity when it comes to FPS. I mean what do you have? War, horror, and sci-fi. Little else. And the CG always looks similar. No creativity. I'll stick with my consoles, thank you very much.

ScornedGod
07-19-2003, 09:01 AM
I am screwed.......

Alucard
07-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Come on Icarus, keeping a PC updated isn't as hard as it used to be. If you upgrade everything at once then yeah its expensive. And theres more games to the PC then fps. Thats like saying GC is full of Mario/Zelda clone games. You can do ALOT with a PC and theres alot to play. Normally one doesn't realise how much they'd really play on the PC if they have an old system. Case in point, hassled a friend to upgrade his PC. He's a console whore btw. Anyway he upgraded and basically hardly touched his consoles for about a year. Now since he hasn't upgraded in 4 years he's saying PCs suck and playing consoles. Its not right I tell you. Theres alot to play. Put the money in and test yourself.

Icarus4578
07-19-2003, 12:23 PM
I have some friends with updated PCs and most of the stuff is just fodder. I don't like how the line is being blurred between PC and console because that ushers in many unoriginal titles. MArio/Zelda clones? I dunno. I know that the action genre is distinct on consoles, whereas FPS are all the same usually.

insteefy
07-19-2003, 03:12 PM
i got a new PC last May, and i cant wait to run HL2 on it. D3 can lick my ass after seeing HL2. (can u fking imagen CS and DoD on the HL2 engine)

Im planning on buying a new processor every year, my video card will last another 2/3 years. (my current processor is a 2.4Ghz and my vid card is a ATI 9700 Pro)

MoMo
07-19-2003, 04:42 PM
How do u buy a new processor every year to upgrade your current system when u have to buy a new motherboard to fit the new processor?

Alucard
07-20-2003, 04:55 AM
You dont need to buy a new cpu every year. I bought my last one 2 years back. A motherboard can go up to a certain amount. Currently I'm on 2.1gig. All the current ones go to 3gig easy. The new ones definately go beyond 3. So technically I have another 2 upgrades. My next one will be 2.6, and after that 3. You see a huge difference with each jump. Buy a graphics card once every 3years at least, ram you buy every time you get a new board, cause by that time, like 3-4years later, theres faster ram out. Its dirt cheap to keep a system updated.

Icarus, having an updated system and watching your friends are two totally different things. Take for instance owning a Dreamcast. Unless a person owned it they would scoff at it. And not all FPS are the same. Thats like shrugging aside rpgs cause they're all basically the same. turn based fighting, select spel, select person to attack, click click same repetitive thing. Especially with FF games cause they're all the same system. Does this make them unispiring? Sure thats a fairly loose comparison. But its all to do with what the game has to offer. The way the stages are set up, the way you do certain things to get out of puzzle areas that are nasty, the STORY is also another main thing. Noone Lives Forever is an awesome example. Anyway you need to have an updated PC to really see all the games you can get your hands on. I'm currently playing Gothic 2, rpg that resembles Morrowind in a way, and its damn cool. Its not all about the FPS games.

Icarus4578
07-20-2003, 04:57 AM
Alucard, I have a Pentium 4 with 256MB RAM and 40 Gigs. How strong is that?

SpaceManSpiff
07-20-2003, 06:38 AM
I have an 800 Mhz proc, Geforce2, 40GB Hard Drive, 192mb ram, and a 56k modem.:(

it sucks...

Nindalf
07-20-2003, 08:06 AM
You know, i got to be the stupidest person on this forum when it comes to computers, for example:

800 Mhz proc, Geforce2, 40GB Hard Drive, 192mb ram, and a 56k modem.

I only understand that 800Mhz part, and i have a guess what that 56K modem thingy is but other than that i have no idea what that means.

:D

Icarus4578
07-20-2003, 08:08 AM
That has to do with the speed of your internet connection. Anything like 56K or lower in number is SLOW (such as 14K). With DSL and Cable, you get a better, faster connection, and with T1 through 3 you're looking at big business connections which are super quick. They don't actually affect your computer's abilities personally. It's just a modem for connecting.

insteefy
07-20-2003, 09:43 AM
ok ok, not every year, like, every 2 years.

Icarus4578, it really depends on what u wanna do with ur comp. If u wanna play "heavy" games (BF1942/HL2/etc), u'll need a "heavy" system. If u only need it to surf to internet, and maybe for some homework, then its more then enough.

My specs are:

P4
2.4Ghz
1024MB RAM
80HB HD
ATI 9700 Pro

But yea, i play allot of games, and i work allot with Multimedia programs (photoshop and 3d).

Alucard
07-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Icarus4578
Alucard, I have a Pentium 4 with 256MB RAM and 40 Gigs. How strong is that?

You got a nice selection. Though it really depends what the Pentium 4 is. Is it a 1.8gig cpu? 256 ram is good unless you are running WinXP, then you're better off slapping that up to 512. Ram is dirt cheap. But the biggest thing to know is what video card you have. That basically tells you what you will be able to do.

Nice setup insteefy.

MoMo
07-20-2003, 01:59 PM
What do u do with ur older processor when u upgrade...

Alucard
07-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Depends. You could go to computer boards where people sell their old parts. Lots of people love building multiple systems. Or just toss it in the bin.

Icarus4578
07-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah, i've got WinXP. It's 1.2 GHz. It's a very nice computer for using the internet, which is its main purpose. But if I wanted to upgrade to Doom 3/Half-Life 2 standard, it would cost me an extra few hundred dollars, which is a bit more than i'll spend just to play two games I can play over my friends'. I'll update probably in one/two years from now.

Alucard
07-21-2003, 03:34 AM
Well you wont just be playing 2 games, thats the thing. Theres alot of quality games out and coming out. A 1.2isn't too bad, but if you're planning to wait a couple years to upgrade then internet will be its strong point, and not really worth having such an expensive thing just for one purpose.

Lets see now.. hmm, though you have a P4. They are the most expensive to upgrade. Would cost you around $120 for a 2gig cpu. That would keep you happy for the next couple years hopefully. Though I still dont know what your video card is. I'll assume its an onboard one. Then another $130 for a Geforce4 Ti4400. A very excellent card that isn't too expensive and performs more then you need, which you'll happily have for another couple years.

Thing is once you upgrade theres just so many things to choose from. Its basically like a console. IF you upgrade PROPERLY, then it'll last you 3 years without it showing its age.

Icarus4578
07-21-2003, 08:27 AM
OR... I can spend a couple thousand and upgrade to a behemoth of a computer which would last a good 3 years. That, and if they made a new Pentium or whatever.

Alucard
07-21-2003, 09:19 AM
No not really. Spending a couple thousand is over the top. You could spend about $600-700 right now if you wanted and got a viciously awesome system that would last you a long time. People keep thinking the best way to upgrade is to buy a brand new system. This is the worst way to go as it costs an arm and a leg. Example...

Get lost to pentium. It is TOO expensive.

Motherboard that wont need to be upgraded for a long time and can handle +3gig cpus, $100-110.

Cpu would be the AMD 2.6gig last a couple years easy- $90

Ram is your friend. Currently 512mb around $60.

video card is extremely important. Two ways to go and the best cards to date, keep them for a good 3 years easy.

$269 RADEON 9800 Pro 128MB
$356 GeForce FX 5900 128MB

Or spend about $50-100 less and get something thats still very good. You dont ever have to buy the latest greatest. The past cards still run perfectly. You'd just up your CPU down the line and everything would be fast again. Current video cards are bottle necked with the cpu, well..like any card. But they can go very high. Anyway lets see what we have and if I even guessed right..

Bout $530 average if you went for the radeon or $620 average for the geforce system. You can probably find cheaper prices around, I'm just going by a rough guess from pricewatch.com.

Keep your existing HDD if it isn't like 20gigs or something dumb, your keyboard, mouse, monitor, case... Have someone put it all together for you and look at that. A disgustingly vicious system for half a grand. If its Don its good.

Icarus4578
07-21-2003, 09:22 AM
Ok sounds good. Alucard, I have a question you might know the answer to. Can a computer be hooked up directly to a TV sey, and would that be harmful to my TV screen?

Alucard
07-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Almost every video card has a tv-out socket. You'll only be able to run picture through it into the AV socket. RCA or whatever its called. You can also use S-video. You'd have to run sound through the sound card ofcourse. But no, it isn't harmfull. Once you have it beaming onto your tv you can start selecting the kind of signal, like PAL, NTSC, and others to see what looks best. Make sure you have the resolution set to something that can be seen fine on the tv. You can also shift it around if the picture isn't properly fitting.

Works really well. I once played Half Life on the tv for fun. But you'd be able to run all your divx movies if you wanted and anything else.

Nindalf
07-21-2003, 10:35 AM
Seriously, where you people learn this stuff? i have been using computers since i was 8( well, mostly playing) and all you say is like latin. Do you read some books or do you break up computers to see how they work or something?

Icarus4578
07-21-2003, 10:38 AM
I just read a good page about this. The guy says that since computer monitors have a refresh rate of 75 times a second or more as opposed to 60 as is the case with TV monitors (because they don't support RGB - literally meaning Red, Green, and Blue) this can cause unwanted flickering. And also, computers have at least 1024 x 768 resolution so this is a problem with TVs which normally regulate at 640 x 480. This can also cause unwanted flicker problems. And since the computer monitors are in RGB and a good computer runs at 24 bit (8 bit per color), that leaves room for more problematic issues. Here's his (useful) site ~ http://www.commspecial.com/6misconc.htm He mentions the known problems with connecting computers to TVs and addresses many issues. You have to have some real money to get the most out of it.

EDIT: I misspelled 24-bit as 34-bit. Fixed.

Alucard
07-21-2003, 11:35 AM
It all depends on the settings you use. If you're playing games then you will notice the slight flickering. But if you're watching movies you wont notice any. We watch dozens of movies/anime off the PC onto the TV and its all nice. Games, not really. Cause games are supposed to run at a higher refresh rate.

NiN, I've got friends who have messed with PCs for years and some are also techs. I've also learned a few things on my own with tearing apart my system. Upgrading your system is easier then you'd think. I mean all you do is pull out the existing part you want to replace, and stick in the new one. Thats it. You've justed upgraded. The motherboard is the slightly tougher part. You just have to concentrate where to put the cables. You can't really get it wrong though cause the manual is very detailed and almost all the sockets are only for one specific cable. Then the tedious loading of drivers commences.

Icarus4578
07-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Yeah, so i'd have to invest alot of money into that equipment for it to run properly, or, I could wait a couple of years when it should be alot more feasible.

Nindalf
07-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Alucard

NiN, I've got friends who have messed with PCs for years and some are also techs. I've also learned a few things on my own with tearing apart my system.

He that breaks a thing to find out what its is has left the path of wisdom.

:P

Alucard
07-21-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Icarus4578
Yeah, so i'd have to invest alot of money into that equipment for it to run properly, or, I could wait a couple of years when it should be alot more feasible.

Well, basically the amount I quoted you earlier is the rough ball park figure. Every video card has the option. Even a cheap $40 one.

NiN, I BRING Wisdom to me! :D

Icarus4578
07-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Well thanks. I think it would be best if I sat it out for awhile. After all, my computer is just fine as is.

Alucard
07-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Lets see if you can keep saying that come Half Life 2! :D Though by then you'll probably be able to knock $100 off that price I quoted. Prices go down pretty fast. But theres just so many gorgeous games coming out in the next 4months. So glad I'm ready for it.

Sinful Sam
07-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Have you read about this bug on Half Life 2?
The highly-anticipated Half-Life 2 game will have a major bug with current DirectX 9.0 hardware resulting in impossibility in enabling Full-Scene Anti-Aliasing, a popular feature that dramatically improves image quality in games. Apparently, there is a limitation in DirectX 9.0 and/or DirectX 9.0-compliant hardware that will not allow the function to be enabled on certain graphics cards if the workaround is not found. (X-bit labs)
http://gamerankings.com/itemrankings/fullnews.asp?newsid=86763

Alucard
07-22-2003, 01:07 AM
I wouldn't pay much attention to that. You can play games with your AA setting turned off and only notice it slightly. Like you would with an xbox. But the higher the res, the better the picture will look. And this problem will be fixed in DX9.1 which should be out around the time HL2 gets here or a little afterward. But it really is not a problem.

SpaceManSpiff
07-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Hey Alucard I just got a job so I can afford to get a new computer now. Can you tell me what stuff to get like motherboard, processor, video card...etc. and roughly how much it will all cost.

Alucard
07-22-2003, 02:27 AM
Send me a PM when you've managed to save up about $600. Thats assuming you plan to keep your old monitor, whatever it is. :D

SpaceManSpiff
07-22-2003, 02:39 AM
will do.:D