PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's 10 billion giveaway!

DBJAY
07-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Microsoft's $10 billion giveaway?

Wall Street debates whether a rumored special dividend is the best use of Microsoft's cash.
July 7, 2003: 2:43 PM EDT
By Paul R. La Monica, CNN/Money Senior Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Forget about Pepsi and its paltry "Play for a Billion" game. Rumor has it that Microsoft is considering giving away at least $10 billion of its massive $46 billion cash horde.

According to a report by a sister publication of the Financial Times, Microsoft is said to be mulling a special dividend of more than $10 billion to existing shareholders. A spokeswoman for Microsoft would not comment about the report, which was originally published on Friday when the U.S. markets were closed.

The dividend scuttlebutt helped lift shares of Microsoft (MSFT: Research, Estimates) 3.6 percent in early afternoon trading on Monday. But it is also sparking debate about whether Microsoft, one of the best performing stocks of the 1990s and the world's largest company measured by stock market worth, should still be considered a true growth company. "

http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/07/technology/microsoft/

Whoa! Ten billion to just decide where to spend. So what would you want MS to do with that money floating around?

For gaming:
A.)Every Xbox could be marked down to $99 worldwide and hope that the increase in software sales offsets the loss on hardware. b.)They could easily go on a aquisition hunt and snap up some more talent....Activision is on quite a roll recently...

On a completely different note:

Or, they could build a theme park.....the cost of Universal's IOA, Disney CA Adventure, and Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom together total about 4-5 billion. Side fact, Bill Gates is a stockholder in Six Flags Inc. And if you happen to visit any of the Six Flags parks, imagine what a massive cash infusion could bring to the parks. Although this would never happen, MS could invest heavily in the Six Flags parks (say, 4 of them across the country), and raise several of the parks around the country to higher standards (visually like IOA). That way, MS would have a tangible asset that would generate income, much in the same way Disney's parks have kept the company stable whenever the film/tv projects fail.

SpaceManSpiff
07-08-2003, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't mind if they could give me 0.0001% of that money. 0.0001% of 10,000,000,000.....you do the math.

Reality
07-08-2003, 12:26 AM
I take even less then that! Give it to me!

aneep
07-08-2003, 12:30 AM
if they want theme parks they could have bought VU offerings
the 10 bil will go as dividents i think, since MS already announced that a few months ago

-aneep-

Nindalf
07-08-2003, 02:04 AM
I would have bought something small with that, like Australia.

Havoc2049
07-08-2003, 04:56 AM
I would buy Finland and make the Xbox the official console of that country and outlaw all other consoles, especially Nintendo ones.;)

Nindalf
07-08-2003, 05:19 AM
Why you little...
*Shakes fist*

Sad part is that Finlands budjet(or ehat ever the word is in english) For this year is something like 35Billions, and MS has 46Billions. There seriously something wrong here...

And if that would happen AtariX, i would move...
TO THE HOUSE NEXT TO YOU!
MUAHHAHAHAHAH!

Havoc2049
07-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Just bring some nordic hotties and you can move in.

These two will do just fine:
http://www.geocities.com/the_jager_99/drainsth_signing.html

I'll even buy you a PAL TV for your GC.:D

Drunken Savior
07-08-2003, 07:38 AM
I smell an "Odd Couple" ripoff sitcom...:haha:

as for the money....

"Won't Somebody PLEASE think about the CHILDREN!" http://springfield-shopper.de/grabpics/pics/andere37.gif

Nindalf
07-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by AtariX
Just bring some nordic hotties and you can move in.

These two will do just fine:
http://www.geocities.com/the_jager_99/drainsth_signing.html

I'll even buy you a PAL TV for your GC.:D

Someone cant seem to get enough of Nordic chicks eh? ;)

And i think ill stay here and enjoy the nordic "sights" alone. :2happy: (But you can still send me that TV, wide screen please. :D )

Cobra Commander
07-09-2003, 02:04 AM
Well 10 billion could probably take pretty large bite out of world hunger. But what's the point? X-Box-2 will need a bigger HD.

TheHardware
07-09-2003, 07:07 AM
id buy the moon carve an x in it and paint it green...so every night ps2 and nintendo owners would always be in xbxes shadow......hahhahahaahahah

and i would buy thehardware a mansion and some sports cars and a big bootie b1tch to go with it

aneep
07-11-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Cobra Commander
Well 10 billion could probably take pretty large bite out of world hunger. But what's the point? X-Box-2 will need a bigger HD.

i remember reading somewhere that Bill Gates and his wife is one of the world biggest philantrophist

hmm might as well Google it for a min
Bill Gates' $5bn donation (that's 5 billion of his money, not from MS 46 bil warchest)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/your_money/360770.stm

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0820311.html

well among other donations

u know despite many ppl (Linux ppl mostly) hating him and such, he's quite a nice (billionare) guy

can't say the same about many other millionares/billionares in the gaming industry

-aneep-

mackensie
07-11-2003, 10:47 AM
ok, a little on good ole bill's donations. For what Bill is worth, him giving however much he has towards donations (which is great), is the same as someone with a 30,000$ dollar a year salary giving ~$50 bucks a year towards charity.

Not to mention that a number of his "donations" are giving away microsoft contracts to schools, so instead of money to spend on their will, they are giving windows, office, etc licenses worth ~300 a pop for each computer.

While I agree that some charity is much better than no charity, Bill Gates does not give a signifigant (to him) amount of his income towards charity.

Kid0_oIcarus
07-11-2003, 11:39 AM
No one really does mackensie. We tend to hoard for our own.

mackensie
07-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
No one really does mackensie. We tend to hoard for our own.
I agree in general. However there are lots of people giving a signifigant (to them) portion of their money to worthy charities. These are the people that should be heralded as contributers, instead of the Bill Gates examples.

Havoc2049
07-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by mackensie
ok, a little on good ole bill's donations. For what Bill is worth, him giving however much he has towards donations (which is great), is the same as someone with a 30,000$ dollar a year salary giving ~$50 bucks a year towards charity.

Not to mention that a number of his "donations" are giving away microsoft contracts to schools, so instead of money to spend on their will, they are giving windows, office, etc licenses worth ~300 a pop for each computer.

While I agree that some charity is much better than no charity, Bill Gates does not give a signifigant (to him) amount of his income towards charity.

That's some flawed logic. What is going to do more good, me giving $100 to fight AIDS in India, or Bill Gates giving a billion bucks(he recently gave some insane amount like that) to the cause? All the software and computers that Bill Gates and his wife have donated through their charity organization has helped many a public school and public library and is a great service to rural areas with a limited tax base.

aneep
07-17-2003, 09:00 AM
i thought we should at least give credits where credit is due, sheesh

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/05/09/gates/index_np.html

May 9, 2003 |

Five years ago, in a story on Bill Gates' philanthropy, Salon asked the question, "Is Bill Gates a Closet Liberal?" At the time, Gates had not yet really opened the floodgates of his charitable giving, but a close look at the causes he had supported indicated he was interested in reproductive health and family planning issues, and fighting the spread of infectious diseases, with a focus on the Third World. Since then, Gates has publicly promised to give away 95 percent of his wealth -- $43 billion as of September 2002 -- and he appears to be living up to his words.

and the 5 bil was for research on cures for diseases like Malaria and AIDS, and even maternal mortality u'd know if u'd bothered to read (donation to schools would go under MS not Bill Gates money)

-aneep-