PDA

View Full Version : Satoru Iwata?s And Hiroshi Yamauchi?s Perspectives.

Overlord
06-09-2002, 12:14 AM
Allrpg.com:
After criticizing the poor performance of Final Fantasy XI and Square?s clumsy attempt at making a beneficial launch, Satoru Iwata (Nintendo?s new president) expressed his disapproval of other hardware companies? (Sony and Microsoft) concentration on producing ?increasingly powerful video-game machines in the race for bigger market.?
Now that Iwata is sitting on the throne as President of Nintendo, he clarified that Nintendo will continue to ?[concentrate] on creating better games? for the GameCube, so that people will have reasons to remain supporting the system, even if they already owned the Playstation 2. Although Iwata did not inform the people about how its new games will facilitate the company in meeting its goals, he made it obviously clear that the Nintendo will not ?pursue online games, judging them as still too limited in appeal.?

Nintendo still has confidence in the GameCube (4 million shipped), even though the Playstation 2 (30 million shipped) has dispatched 7.5 times more consoles than Nintendo has. It remains in the console war as it followed the console price-dropping spree, and aims to sell 50 million GameCubes worldwide by the end of March 2005. Further encouragement comes from its 106 billion yen (US $849 million) profit, a 10% increase from last year and a 20% increase in console sales. Its annually escalating profits prevent Nintendo from trailing behind the competition and help maintains an optimistic outlook on its economic situation.

Iwata further spoke about his feelings on the declining gaming market, as he ?feels like a chef cooking for a king who's full,? believing that people will always get bored, despite the high-quality products the market produces.

Nintendo has seem to loosen up, allowing other developers to handle its flagship franchises, as the company focuses on taking advantage of its popular handheld (Game Boy Advance) to propel the GameCube?s performance with connectivity between the two consoles.
Hiroshi Yamauchi also addressed his concerns during the announcement deeming that ?game developers are running out of ideas" to surprise the masses with innovating games. After fifty years as Nintendo?s president, his colossal experience on games has led him to believe that ?developing games has grown too time-consuming and expensive.? He urged Nintendo to start producing games in a short amount of time to increase profits and to ?[compromise] on their appeal.? Iwata added that ?[efforts] to produce machines with better technology?may lead to the decline of the entire game industry.?

Your Thoughts?

Black Ace
06-09-2002, 12:20 AM
Now a-day, game production cost a lot more than it did a long time ago. An average game takes at least 15 months to finished, with a budget at around $2 million per game. What if that game were to flopped? The developer would be in serious jeopardy, and only about 1 out of 50 game can sell a over a million copies.

Iwata said that the industry might be on the decline if publisher keeps slashing prices on its software, that is true, since the interactive industry has gained a lot more popularity over the years. Today as it stands, the gaming industry is a $20 billion yearly market. It cannot eclipsed it will prices are dropping. The industry will not be able to rise profit from software price cut.

Nintendo is awared of this situation, their solution is to make the best games as possible, increasing the value of the gameplay and quality of their titles, by this, potential customers don't get lure away, because they know what they'd getting is quality, and they don't mind paying for it.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-10-2002, 08:54 AM
^^ Sounds like a plan to me. That's one of the things I've always liked about Nintendo. I don't get all crazy at their game prices because I know they'll be good.

Glad to hear they're planning on keeping it like it is. Quality shines.

Black Sugar
06-10-2002, 12:26 PM
We're in a day of age where people believe;

that big budget game production, flashy and having the latest and most powerful console equal instant success.

but when you see games such Chu-Chu rocket or Monkey Ball, I must agree 100% with Mr. Itawa.

Rubeus
06-10-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
We're in a day of age where people believe;

that big budget game production, flashy and having the latest and most powerful console equal instant success.

but when you see games such Chu-Chu rocket or Monkey Ball, I must agree 100% with Mr. Itawa.

Yes, but how often do you see a successful low budget game on the market? Like once a year?

The main reason why games are so costly now-a-days is because of the expense of CG movies, if developers can forget about CG movies and just use real-time rendering sequences, the cost will be much lower, just like Square's Vagrant Story, use mostly real-time rendering throughout the game (except the opening and ending).

Rubeus
06-10-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Overlord

Hiroshi Yamauchi also addressed his concerns during the announcement deeming that ?game developers are running out of ideas" to surprise the masses with innovating games. After fifty years as Nintendo?s president, his colossal experience on games has led him to believe that ?developing games has grown too time-consuming and expensive.? He urged Nintendo to start producing games in a short amount of time to increase profits and to ?[compromise] on their appeal.? Iwata added that ?[efforts] to produce machines with better technology?may lead to the decline of the entire game industry.?

Your Thoughts?

It seems to me Nintendo themselves are also running out of game ideas, take a look at Mario Party 4, Warioworld, Mario Kart, Paper Mario.
They are re-using the same ideas over and over again without something innovative.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-10-2002, 03:18 PM
Well they tweak around a bit, but they do need more games like Pikmin, and Eternal Darkness such.

That's part of the reason that they've let the next F-Zero, and Star Fox be developed by SEGA, and Namco, respectively. So that they can focus on bringing us new things.

The next Metroid is an FPA- different than your typical FPS, already. We'll see. Dunno about SFA.

We don't know what the next Mario Kart will be like. Mario Party 4 just looks bigger and better, although I'm sure that innovation here is in the form of the new minigames you will play (duh)

Wario World, I dunno yet- we'll have to see. Paper Mario was fun, but way too small in scope.

Nintendo stands for quality and innovation- always have and they'd better continue to.

Black Sugar
06-10-2002, 05:56 PM
A game can be innovative even if he use a brand name. Look at Mario 64 or Metroid Prime, which is a depature of the serie. i don't how much innovative it will be since I didn't play it yet.. but i think you get the picture.

It seem that every game developers are running out of ideas these past few years. You're talking about Nintendo, but you didn't bother to talk about Crazy Taxi 3, Toe Jam & Earl 3 or Ninja Gaiden ? how come? -.-...!

The lack of innovation are on every console my friend, Only real talented game designers such as Shiegu Miyamoto, Tetsuya Mizuguchi or Yuji naka to name a few a capable of giving us new and innovative games.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-11-2002, 09:20 AM
It's true, if you really think about it, a lot of the games you play are really just really really old games that have been done before- only this time they've got better graphics.

Few games are pushing the genres forward. (Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness anyone?) Very few games area actually something new, and innovative. (Pikmin)

Rubeus
06-11-2002, 12:16 PM
Speak about innovative, I think Sony does have a lot of innovation titles in the days of PSone, probably more than Nintendo, like Parappa the Rappa, Devil Dice, Vib Ribbon, Ape Escape (unique control), Intelligent Cubes and so on.

Black Sugar
06-11-2002, 12:33 PM
Overall, Nintendo seem to concentrate on port games such as Super smash Bros Melee,WaveRace, Mario Sunshine and not to mention all thoses games on the GBA also.

I believe they want to revive those old games which make them so great in the beginning.

This goes for Sega also.

This is a great thing really to see all thoses classic on thoses new generation consoles such as X-Box GBA, GC and PS2.

I only hope they don't over do it.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-11-2002, 02:01 PM
Yes, other people besides Nintendo can be innovative too, Rebeus. And just because you have an innovative idea, doesn't mean you have a good game.

If you want to get into looking at each company's past and list how much they've brought to the table we'll be here a looong time.

Pikachu
06-18-2002, 03:53 PM
I don't know about the others, but I played Parappa the Rappa and Devil Dice before, I must say they are pretty cool games. I heard both games have very decent sales in Japan and US.

Pokemon itself is also a very innovative game at the beginning, this is the game that revived the dying b/w Gameboy, and eventually lead Nintendo to develop GB color and GB advance; and pull all other developers to back to Nintendo's side.

Iori
06-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
Overall, Nintendo seem to concentrate on port games such as Super smash Bros Melee,WaveRace, Mario Sunshine and not to mention all thoses games on the GBA also.

I believe they want to revive those old games which make them so great in the beginning.

This goes for Sega also.

This is a great thing really to see all thoses classic on thoses new generation consoles such as X-Box GBA, GC and PS2.

I only hope they don't over do it.

Games like Smash Bros, Mario Tennis/Golf and Waverace are not really developed by Nintendo themselves, they are created by 2nd parties like HAL and Camelot.

Black Sugar
06-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Nintendo doesn't make a lot of games by themselves these past few years, nevertheless, they're still Nintendo flagship characters.

Seem that only Mario and Link who's getting the Nintendo treatement.