PDA

View Full Version : more disappointment coming this way.

baratus
06-08-2002, 08:37 PM
No matter how good it looks or plays, it seems to me that Metroid Prime will be yet another disappointing Game Cube title if the rumor of ?the game takes 7 hours to complete? turns out to be true. This is bad news to all of us and quite a letdown, I was expecting it to be twice longer than Turok 2 or Unreal, the biggest FPS games I?ve played. Years in development to end up like this, but alas, with all the short games this new generation of gamers has seen in every console I guess this shouldn?t surprise nobody if it is true. And not only that, there's another rumor around that Rare is leaving Nintendo, so expect Donkey Kong Racing or Kameo to be cancelled.

:mad:

Overlord
06-08-2002, 08:43 PM
It's not that bad. All the other Metroid games were a lot shorter. And you were awarded for finishing the game in less than 3 hours and stuff. So expect this game to have a lot of replay. This is more of a FPA than a FPS.

baratus:
And not only that, there's another rumor around that Rare is leaving Nintendo

It's still only a rumor. But it doesn't really matter what system the game is on. The game will still be the same.

baratus
06-08-2002, 10:51 PM
What do yo mean is not that bad! I clearly heard from Nintendo that the game will be primary based on exploration and everybody sais its a FPS, how many areas do you think the game will have to explore if it is so short! Man I gotta tell you, there must be a mistake, I think they are talking about Metroid Fusion. I'll never accept 7 hours from a FPS, what was Retro Studios working on all these years!

Overlord
06-08-2002, 11:06 PM
baratus:
What do yo mean is not that bad! I clearly heard from Nintendo that the game will be primary based on exploration and everybody sais its a FPS, how many areas do you think the game will have to explore if it is so short! Man I gotta tell you, there must be a mistake, I think they are talking about Metroid Fusion. I'll never accept 7 hours from a FPS, what was Retro Studios working on all these years!

Miyamoto said himself that this won't be your regular PC FPS. There's a lot of elements from the last Metroid games.

...Have you ever played ICO? That game was only about seven hours long. But it's one of the best and most original games ever. Retro Studios also made the other Metroid games. And they were a lot shorter than this. I still have high hopes for this game. The game will make up for the shortness with replay. And the game also has a lot of eyecandy. It might end up as a renter for some people.

baratus
06-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Even if it's not a full FPS I still can't believe it'll be so short. I just hope its not true. I'll end up thinking the GameCube discs have less space available to hold an entire game than a cartridge.

Overlord
06-09-2002, 03:43 AM
GameCube disks are 1.5 Gigs, I think. But the size of a disk doesn't change the quality of the game.

baratus
06-09-2002, 06:48 AM
Maybe not the quality, but what about the lenght. Sorry for being so persistent but I must see it to believe it, could you give the link to the source that saids the game is so short? I'll not believe it until then.

Alucard
06-09-2002, 10:26 AM
If you want FPS or adventure games to be long then play PC games. Consoles are known for their short games unless it's a big RPG. I swear most games for the PS2 are like7hours. DMC, SH2, ICO, Onimusha, MGS, and dozens more.

Shining Force
06-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Games I'd compare to this are previous metroids and Castlevanania:SOTH did take about 10 hours to beat, and they were legendary games... (Super Metroid got best game ever in top 100 for EGM). But I have to admit, I'm looking for Metroid to be a bit more than 7 hours.

Overlord
06-09-2002, 05:08 PM
baratus:
Maybe not the quality, but what about the lenght. Sorry for being so persistent but I must see it to believe it, could you give the link to the source that saids the game is so short? I'll not believe it until then.

Well, there's no offical confirmation about this. It all started with Matt at Cube-IGN saying it. But it's still not a suprise that it might so short.

...Ms. Pac-Man was #2 on Game Informers top 100 list.

Bookbagninja
06-09-2002, 07:48 PM
So true, OL about Ms. Pac-Man. Hey, if the game is that short, then I KNOW it's gonna have tons of replay value. How long did it take you to beat the first game WITH you finding everything? Doubt it was some 3 hours, or even 5.

baratus
06-10-2002, 01:28 AM
I only play FPS on my PC and I must admit they all are very long games. You're 100% right about saying the PS2 games are short in lenght, but hey, those games are from Sony, if they want they games to be that way that's their damn problem.
I've never been disappointed with Nintendo's games in therms of lenght, most of their N64 titles where very long: Zelda OoT, Banjo-Kazooie (and Tooie), Jet Force Gemini and Turok 2 are all big games and in cartridge format, wich has less capacity than a disk. This problem started right away the PS2 launched and it seems to be infecting the other consoles, they just fill their games with legions of cut-scenes that take one hell of space from a disk (like FFX and Xenosaga). I heard Eternal Darkness will feature 40-60 hours of gameplay, so I don't see why an much more anticipated game like Metroid Prime will end up having the same problem like the PS2 games you mentioned.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-10-2002, 07:38 AM
I hate rumors- how about we don't get worked up over it until we know the truth? There's nothing we can really do about these type of things- if they are true, anyway.

Don't worry- be happy... Until you find out that Rare will develop for Xbox.. then just give in to the hate.

^_^

Length of play is a thing that varies from gamer to gamer anyway- personally, I like to take my time with my games- no rushing in killing and blowing up everything like a crazed lunatic.. unless the situation calls for it, of course. In writing their preview reports, it might be that IGN had to go through and rush through, avoiding a lot of the story in the game (this is n adventure) and go ahead and "beat" the game in 7 hours. Maybe this didn't give them the 'best" ending, or something. I dunno. We'll see.

I seriously doubt it'll be that short. Matt at IGN says at lot of things- half of it I don't read 'cuz I wont shell out for Insider.

ATMA
06-10-2002, 02:11 PM
All the other Metroids were shorts comparing it to Metroid prime
and i think you are used to games with realy looong gameplay i play rpg all the time,and alot of times i wish for shorter games,I mean Super metroid(what a game that was) even that game was like i think 2 hours but if you play it for the first time you could be in that game for hours if you want to find everything!!I'm used to play short or long games ,for me it doesn't matter and let me tell you this take it from me , gamehours,GRAPHICS, disc space doesn't make a game!!It's the story !!Story plays a bigger role than anything... it's all about the story!!!

Kid0_oIcarus
06-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Not necessarily.

All games usually have some sort of beginning and end, yeah- but not all focus on the storyline between it.

Except, of course, for RPGs..

Even in most RPGs you can usually just focus on the main story and avoid most side quests thus getting to the end really quick. You miss out on a lot, though.

OT: You know what I hate? People who focus on leveling up so much that when they get to the final boss, they can beat it in one or two hits. (FFX comes to mind.. I got two friends who spent over 100 hours.. a lot of that just leveling!) What is the point of it, then? Where's the challenge!? Bah!

Overlord
06-10-2002, 05:19 PM
baratus:
I've never been disappointed with Nintendo's games in therms of lenght, most of their N64 titles where very long: Zelda OoT, Banjo-Kazooie (and Tooie), Jet Force Gemini and Turok 2 are all big games and in cartridge format, wich has less capacity than a disk.

First of all, Turok isn't Nintendos game. And how come your only comparing it to N64 games? What about the SNES games? Maybe if you play Super Metroid, you won't worry about how long Metroid Prime is.

Kid0_oIcarus:
I seriously doubt it'll be that short. Matt at IGN says at lot of things- half of it I don't read 'cuz I wont shell out for Insider.

IGN is a big name in the gaming world. So a lot of corporations trust them. And they keep getting bigger. They usually get early news on some games. They're not perfect. But they know what they're talking about.

ATMA:
Story plays a bigger role than anything... it's all about the story!!!

I'd say that gameplay/battle system is also really important in a RPG. A good story isn't any good if the game doesn't play well. Or isn't layed out correctly.

Kid0_oIcarus:
OT: You know what I hate? People who focus on leveling up so much that when they get to the final boss, they can beat it in one or two hits. (FFX comes to mind.. I got two friends who spent over 100 hours.. a lot of that just leveling!) What is the point of it, then? Where's the challenge!? Bah!

They level up mostly for side quests. Which in FFX, is a lot tougher than the final boss. I only have 94 hours on my FFX right now.

baratus
06-11-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Overlord

First of all, Turok isn't Nintendos game. And how come your only comparing it to N64 games? What about the SNES games? Maybe if you play Super Metroid, you won't worry about how long Metroid Prime is.

I perfectly know Turok is from Acclaim, not from Nintendo, I just mentioned it because is a very long game. And you're telling me to compare a console whose games where mostly sidescrolling a obviously shorter in length, with another one that has far more technological power? I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.
And yes, I'm a big fan of Super Metroid and played it back then, and I tell you I didn't find it that short. Times have changed since the consoles jumped from 2D games to fully 3D and is a logical thing that people expect the games to be bigger and longer, that's what some people don't seem to get. Some don't give a damn if their favorite game is finished in 2 or 3 hours, but for me the game that has a high difficulty level and takes 1 week or so to finish is better than one you finish in two days and without to much trouble, like most of today's games are.

IGN is a big name in the gaming world. So a lot of corporations trust them. And they keep getting bigger. They usually get early news on some games. They're not perfect. But they know what they're talking about.

I'd say that gameplay/battle system is also really important in a RPG. A good story isn't any good if the game doesn't play well. Or isn't layed out correctly.

They level up mostly for side quests. Which in FFX, is a lot tougher than the final boss. I only have 94 hours on my FFX right now.

baratus
06-11-2002, 12:33 AM
Whoops, I seem to have posted my reply on the wrong place, sorry, I'm a rookie in this forum stuff. Here goes again:

I perfectly know Turok is from Acclaim, not from Nintendo, I just mentioned it because is a very long game. And you're telling me to compare a console whose games where mostly sidescrolling a obviously shorter in length, with another one that has far more technological power? I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.
And yes, I'm a big fan of Super Metroid and played it back then, and I tell you I didn't find it that short. Times have changed since the consoles jumped from 2D games to fully 3D and is a logical thing that people expect the games to be bigger and longer, that's what some people don't seem to get. Some don't give a damn if their favorite game is finished in 2 or 3 hours, but for me the game that has a high difficulty level and takes 1 week or so to finish is better than one you finish in two days and without to much trouble, like most of today's games are.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-11-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Overlord

Yeah and this might mean they know something we don't..blah..blah..blah You're right, they're not perfect. They could be wrong. I'm counting on it.

Overlord

Good, then we are in agreement. Gameplay is what makes a game.

Still Overlord..

Hmm. really? Well that's really silly then- shouldn't the final boss be the hardest? bah. I usually take my time too- trying to get everything there is to get, but I just don't mindlessly go around looking for random encounters...

Overlord
06-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Kid0_oIcarus:
Yeah and this might mean they know something we don't..blah..blah..blah You're right, they're not perfect. They could be wrong. I'm counting on it.

They're more likely to be right then wrong.

Kid0_oIcarus:
Good, then we are in agreement. Gameplay is what makes a game.

No, I didn't say that Gameplay is the most important thing. Stories are important in RPG's. I just said that the gameplay also plays a big role.

Kid0_oIcarus:
Hmm. really? Well that's really silly then- shouldn't the final boss be the hardest? bah. I usually take my time too- trying to get everything there is to get, but I just don't mindlessly go around looking for random encounters...

Final Fantasy, and some other RPG's, are made for both casual and hardcore gamers. If you don't do any of the sidequests, the last boss will be a challenge. It's your choice if you want to take the extra challange or not.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-12-2002, 08:05 AM
I guess we'll have to wait and see how the Rare thing pans out, to find much they know. Btw, do you have insider? If you do, you probably know more about the situtation than I do.

You can say that in an RPG a good story is as important as the gameplay. I won't disagree. But remember, you can have the best story in the world- but if the game plays like garbage then few will want to play it through it, right? Why not wait for the book then? However, if the story isn't engaging enough a few more gamers might keep on playing if the game is actually fun to play- it probably shouldn't be called an RPG then, but that's another matter.

That casual and hardcore statement could be said of almost every game, it's up to the player to decide how much time they want to devote to the game. There are some, like me, that like completing as many quests as possible. Then there are others that like to rush through it all. Then there are others still, the ones that absolutely have to max out as many stats possilbe for their characters