PDA

View Full Version : tomb raider: angel of darkness reviews

Cobi*
06-26-2003, 01:59 AM
guess what?.......................... apparently the game blows.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=52394

http://www.psxnation.com/reviews/ps2reviews?idnumber=000488

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/tombraidertheangelod/review.html

i am a little surprised. i knew it wasn't going to be pretty but sheesh, even i'm inclined to feel sorry for this sad series now.

so, is this it for tomb raider?

and are you, despite the obvious, still planning on buying the game?

Nindalf
06-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by cobi40-50
guess what?.......................... apparently the game blows.

NO? Well i could have never seen this coming. Such an amazing serie. :rolleyes:

But if the game would actually blow then teens would buy it...

Vicviper
06-26-2003, 10:50 AM
I agree. Tomb Raider started out strong but it just gets old after a while. VERY OLD! I am feeling the same way about Tony Hawk. I loved the first 2 and then the 3rd was good and then the 4th one just was not enjoyable anymore.

But there are exceptions to this such as Mario games and Castlevania games. God I could play a new Castlevania game on the gameboy every year and would not get sick of them.

Zod
06-26-2003, 11:01 AM
It's easy to give it bad reviews. All of the repeated delays were issued by Eidos with the claim that they were making the game better. What we got after three years of waiting since the last TR game is a buggy POS with slow-downs, horrible controls with a high learning curve to get familiar with, glitches, and a ton of cheap deaths that made many feel it didn't justify the wait. I'll get the game, but not at $50. I'll wait until it's price is in the $25 - $30 area.

On the bright side, Maxim gave it a perfect 5/5 score. It doesn't take anything beyond a pair of tits to impress them. :2happy:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/468726.asp

baratus
06-26-2003, 12:58 PM
Sheesh! Why the surprise, Tomb Raider has always sucked.

Ogni
06-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by baratus
Sheesh! Why the surprise, Tomb Raider has always sucked.

YES! I remember like it was yesterday, when my import dealer got Tomb Raider for Saturn, with all the hype surrounding this game I was expecting something huge! But it turned out to be the game with THE WORST CONTROLS EVER! Even Flashback on Genesis was easier to get along... well my 2 cents!

mackensie
06-26-2003, 02:40 PM
I don't know, I enjoyed the first couple tomb raiders... Maybe it was because it was the best that was available for my mac tho. It did revolutinize the 3rd person adventure game.

Ogni
06-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Well maybe it's just me, but "bad" controls can ruin the best game for me. Best example would be Resident Evil, the only reason I was so scared in that game (part 1) was because I was not able to control the char the way I wanted it to. This led to pure panic when being attacked... I still played RE, but I never really got used to the controls.
I know some might say that you get used to it, but I want to be able to control a game intuitionaly, just like most Nintendo games.

DBJAY
06-26-2003, 03:22 PM
Sony also made a huge deal out of aquiring this game "exclusively" for the PS2 at E3 2002 and paid a hefty chunk. Ooops. Poor choice on Sony's part.

Twelve
06-26-2003, 05:05 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, DBJAY... *rolls eyes*

Anyways, a 3? a 4? Those are SORRY scores...lol.

I remember they interviewed some blokes behind this game, and they were talking about how amazing this mess was gonna be.

Please. As soon as I saw that cornball sidekick of hers, and that it was delayed to coincided with the movie, I was like...uh-oh.

Doooown it goes!

Cobi*
06-26-2003, 05:53 PM
:haha: 12, that's exactly what i thought when i heard about the "side-kick." it didn't make any sense to me why they'd opt for a male side-kick either. we all know why people play tomb raider games and it's NOT because of the good gameplay.

Originally posted by Ogni
I know some might say that you get used to it, but I want to be able to control a game intuitionaly, just like most Nintendo games.

i agree, though you can get used to the controls of a game, i prefer the extremely fluid and intuitive controls of a game like zelda: the wind waker. personally, i thought the control in this game made it more enjoyable for me.

dbjay, i don't think it's that big of a deal for sony. this game will probably sell more than an equally bad game with a lesser known name and sony has a good relationship with core/eidos.

at first when they announced this game, they said they planned to make it a three part series. given these bad reviews and the possibility of lower than expected sales i have to wonder if core still intends to go through with these plans.

Dragon Heart
06-26-2003, 08:12 PM
do not misunderstand but i hate lara croft
she is filthy , dirty, fool , stupid and weak
even yuna could surpass her

Hammood_1234@hotmail.com

Vegetto
06-26-2003, 11:36 PM
man....what a "waist" ......(stops staring) I mean what a waste ....such a great graphics......

Rubeus
06-27-2003, 12:02 AM
No matter how good/bad the reviews are, Tomb Raider AOD is still going to sell really well, due to its name and the push of the Tomb Raider Cradle of Life movie!

Nem
06-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Rubeus
No matter how good/bad the reviews are, Tomb Raider AOD is still going to sell really well, due to its name and the push of the Tomb Raider Cradle of Life movie!

well probably... but what if the movie sucks?? that would be the end of it! Though im expecting the movie to be good, unlike the game wich since the early shots failed to impress me since i was sooooo bored with the last 4 (yes i only enjoyed the original one, the other ones were a pain)...but one of the things that needed a revolution aparantly was hardly touched - the playability!! And we all know what makes a good game... and it aint a good pair of (.)(.) though it helps in sales!!

camac
06-27-2003, 04:31 PM
:mad: when will she die?!!?!!? somebody put an end to this madness :irked"

baratus
06-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Rubeus

Like I said on another thread, crap sells amazingly well. :irked"

Nindalf
06-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Appearently so does silicon. :spinface:

Nem
06-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by camac
:mad: when will she die?!!?!!? somebody put an end to this madness :irked"

Actually she already died twice:D :D !! In the end of the forth game... wich is yet to be disclosed how she survived, and in the comic books where she recently died after giving into an alien(an evolution of the human race actually) power that she couldnt resist... and you know what she actually really died... but by some egyptian mumbo jumbo she actually came back!! To deliver us some more boring storylines in angel of darkness and the comics that seem to develop in ultra low speed:irked" (thats why i dont read it anymore!)!
You know i dont dislike Lara, she really is an interesting character (besides physical attributes), but seems like her creators are in lack of imagination to create compeling storylines and a revamped play system in the new game! Maybe its time for the "Tombs" to end, but maybe for Lara tomove on to a new series ( and i really mean somthing NEW not more of the same with a different name)!

hgblob
06-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by NiN
Appearently so does silicon. :spinface:

You mean, silicone. There's a difference, you know ;)

Nindalf
06-28-2003, 12:32 PM
So whats the difference between silicon and silicone ?

stupid english language...

insteefy
06-28-2003, 12:45 PM
TR 2 was the best..

they had to stop there, cause after 2, it went down hill..

my dad likes the series tho, he completed all of em...

maybe its to hard for u guys? :2happy: :2happy:

/me waits for the flaming reply's

baratus
06-28-2003, 05:50 PM
Here's the overall thing from IGN. 'Nuff said.

Presentation
Good overall menu design, cutscenes and story-telling techniques. 7.0

Graphics
Pretty-looking graphics when the framerate isn't throttled, excellent architecture and sparkling textures. 6.5

Sound
The London Philharmonic creates an overwhelmingly convincing dramatic score, but Lara needs to stop grunting to much! 8.0

Gameplay
Band-aids won't fix the game's biggest problems: What it needs is a complete overhaul, not a tune-up. 4.0

Lasting Appeal
An adventure that lasts about 10-15 hours. Play it once and you're done. 5.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 5.3 :crazy:

wunko
06-28-2003, 06:37 PM
I was really looking forward to this game. After hearing about the bad reviews I laughed at the Maxim comment on the back of the game package. I only reserved this game at Gamestop for the bobblehead, next week I plan to go return TRAOD. Glad I didn't open it yet. Is it as bad as something like Devil May Cry 2? I'll probably rent TRAOD even though it's bad... I just want to see how bad it is. Don't want to own it though.

Shinmeiryu
06-29-2003, 02:40 AM
I'll give Eidos the benefit of the doubt and say they are only throwing this game out just to remind us that Tomb Raider is still marketable...

Then hopefully by the time PS3 is released, they will have a new engine and scheme in place for the next set of TR games.

With that said, I've yet to hear anything good about this recent Tomb Raider game. Someone surprise me.

hgblob
06-29-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by NiN
So whats the difference between silicon and silicone ?

Besides the fact that one goes into any electronics device and the other into women's breasts, you mean? :)

Nindalf
06-29-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by hgblob
Besides the fact that one goes into any electronics device and the other into women's breasts, you mean? :)

Then lara croft must use them both. :2happy:

Sammythy
06-29-2003, 04:28 PM
I actually thought the first game was excellent at the time..it had a unique atmostphere (similar to the one now found in the fantastic ICO) the levels were cleverly designed it what a little clumsy to control and there were a couple of levels that did not deserve to make the finished product but I can forgive them for putting too much in..the second game was a bit more of the same with some of the soul and design taken out...from then on it was just down hill, everything they added just seemed to make it worse and worse...the controls need the biggest overhaul ,the atmosphere and sense of discovery needs return...talking of disapointments metroid prime is my choice for the years biggest let down...beautiful locations and atmosphere...but the gameplay simply was not a patch on super Metroid

baratus
06-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Sammythy
I actually thought the first game was excellent at the time..it had a unique atmostphere (similar to the one now found in the fantastic ICO) the levels were cleverly designed it what a little clumsy to control and there were a couple of levels that did not deserve to make the finished product but I can forgive them for putting too much in..the second game was a bit more of the same with some of the soul and design taken out...from then on it was just down hill, everything they added just seemed to make it worse and worse...the controls need the biggest overhaul ,the atmosphere and sense of discovery needs return...talking of disapointments metroid prime is my choice for the years biggest let down...beautiful locations and atmosphere...but the gameplay simply was not a patch on super Metroid

Get out of here! :haha:

Zod
06-30-2003, 08:34 AM
I've been playing AOD since yesterday. At first it starts off dull and filled with glitches, but as you pregress there's fewer problems and it becomes more like a classic TR. I really liked the way they depicted the Louvre. They even gave Lara some "bounce" in her biggest assets, which I thought was funny. right now I'm in the section of the four seasons past the archaeological dig, and it's very much like a classic TR game. It just took a while to get to that point.......

Sammythy
06-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by baratus
Get out of here! :haha:

sorry, I am not sure which part of my comment you are referring too? I will be happy to add some substance to my viewpoints if you disagree with anything.

baratus
06-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Sammythy
sorry, I am not sure which part of my comment you are referring too? I will be happy to add some substance to my viewpoints if you disagree with anything.

Comparing Tomb Raider with Metroid Prime maybe? :2happy:

Sammythy
06-30-2003, 11:10 PM
oh I did not really mean to do that, my post was aiming more at pointing out the fact I did not expect very much from tomb raider, hence it was a not a disapointment, cannot really see why anyone was surprised. Nintendo alternatively has done amazing things in the past and playing metroid prime I cannot help feel it was not in the same league as Zelda (ocarina) or Mario 64 in terms of an update, hence that saddens me more than tomb raider falling a little short of expectations..in fact I would go as far to say it was very average. I think another reason Metroid came to mind is in the fact I was talking about the atmosphere of tomb raider and the one thing I think "prime" did fantastically was create one of the most beautiful mysterious and believable worlds I have yet seen in a game...I know the two games are vastly different and the two companies are in different leagues. I am sorry for any confusion caused. I am not very good at making myself clear I tend to meander off subject. my fault.

broken silence
07-01-2003, 04:03 AM
ok i see that most of you guys don't like TR:AOD

however not everyone feel the same way you do guys

look at the reviews in gamefaqs

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/13691.html

my young brother never liked TR however he liked this one
and i was like WHAT??????????

i think most of us didn't give the game a chance maybe becouse it's not what we wanted to be

after getting use to the stuped control and the bugs

i find it a good game but could've been much much better

so i think that Sammythy is right the game is not that bad it's just
very average

Ogni
07-01-2003, 10:34 AM
@broken silence

(has nothing to do with this thread) U don't have to press ENTER everytime the text reaches the end of the box, the board software will do this all by itsself...

Zod
07-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Here's my own experience so far:

Most bugs are minor nuissances, but some are useful and can even be used to get you infinite items or money. This is very helpful considering the major shortage of supplies and the fact that Eidos left many cheats out (and probably a lot of items too) to sell a $10 disc.

This game gave me my first-ever freeze on my over-2-year-old PS/2. That p*ssed me off.

The controls are annoying and take forever to get used to; once you do there shouldn't be any problem except for the response lag, which will cause problems when you're trying to do things like timed jumps but otherwise aren't a problem.

Most of the game plays like a typical TR. Whether this is good or bad depends on if you like or hate TR games.

No cheat codes. Eidos is selling the cheats through a 3rd partry for $10 extra. I'm not much of a cheater but that is such bullsh*t especially since this game has such a shortage of ammo and health packs; probably on purpose to get you to pay the extra $10 for the disc with infinite items/ammo on it.

The learning curves on some levels are insane and I doubt a novice can get through some parts without a walkthrough.

The level designs on a lot of parts are really nice, and this game probably has twice as many places in it as a normal action game. Tha's fine with me because I really hate short games

Why is this game a teen rated game? A dead dog upside-down hanging from chains with it's guts exposed is not appropriate of a T rating. This game is probably the loosest-rated game I've ever seen.

DBJAY
07-01-2003, 04:23 PM
My experience with the game has been mixed. The pros are good graphics, nice level design, interesting plot, good sound.

The con is the controls, which in this day and age of Devil May Cry fluidity, cannot be overloaked. Even Enter The Matrix has far superior controls, and that game is average.

It is no joke when they say she moves like a cement truck. Hands down the slowest walking animation ever in a game. The response lag is so bad, that it is next to impossible to break out into a run, and this makes timed jumps overly difficult as well as combat. Because of her slow movements, gun battles are excersizes in standing still and seeing who can take the most bullets before her health runs out. Also, the lag will directly effect your ability to make critical jumps or your ability to cling to railings, resulting in frequent deaths. The framerate slows down, way down in some spots, ironically even on the first training level.

My only advice is to save the game as frequently as possible. Save after every difficult jump and after every victorious gun battle.

TheHardware
07-01-2003, 04:48 PM
the simple fact that you guys have one problem with this game that isint something like opinionated...is incredible...i mean eidos had an eternity to make this game....some of you say its average but for the amount of time they took to make it....anything else would at least be above average..devilmay cry 2 (as horrible as it is is still above average because of teh graphics and animations......this tomb raider just flat out sucks...........i want my money back.......

Zod
07-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Eidos had three times longer to make this than previous TR's and it was definitely not worth the wait. The comments about the controls are an understatement. There were many times where I was running to jump off a ledge and pressed jump to d so, but the dumb unresponsive bitch just ran herself off the ledge. Then there's that last timed door. Solving a complex maze is challenging; taking 50 tried to get through one gate that closes too fast makes you want to kick the crap out of someone.

Sammythy
07-01-2003, 08:15 PM
well the good news for you all is :2happy:

One thing that is known, however, is that Angel of Darkness is the first title of a brand new Lara trilogy for next-gen, with the final two chapters releasing on PS2 and PC over the next couple of years.

After much arty-farty posturing, Core returned to its roots for Angel of Darkness, offering a classic Tomb Raider adventure set in the murky streets of Paris and Prague. But that clearly wasn't 'classic' enough for Core co-founder Jeremy Heath-Smith, who let slip some surprising details when he spoke with us exclusively last week.

Speaking about plans for the remainder of the trilogy, Heath-Smith stated: "We don't think we went traditional enough with this game. For the next one, we want to bring the dinosaurs back."

Explaining this ostensibly massive u-turn from Core's position at the time AOD was announced - where Lara was said to be moving in a darker, edgier, more adult direction - Heath-Smith explained: "Lara's pretty good in Paris, but in hindsight, we were scared of taking her straight back to tombs. We thought people had had enough of tombs, but the reality is, I don't think people can get enough of tombs and all that stuff. So we're gonna go pretty big on that.

Full on, old-skool Lara action? Back to basics, shall we say? "Yeah!" exclaimed Heath-Smith. "We were nervous of going back there. We felt we had to make a statement; I think we've now made that statement and we can draw the consumer back in, the players are gonna love it and I think we can take them back with a real good trip in the next game.

"Our plan for the trilogy is very much to have one out every 12 months, because we've got them planned out and we're not going to touch the technology, so we're going to play with the storyline - and our plan is to spin the next one in a year. Our plan is to have it, I'm hoping, before June next year. Worst case would be in a year, but hopefully before that." Tempting as it was, we didn't dare ask Eidos if it had a solid date for the sequel...

Commenting on the current status of the AOD follow-up, Heath added: "Yeah, all the design and locations are done, lots of sketches have been done... and we have the main character! [laughs]."

Tombs and dinosaurs are the future, and Core knows it.

Sammythy
07-01-2003, 08:24 PM
I have posted far too much on this topic I do not even care that much about it.