PDA

View Full Version : Square to Sony: Get your middleware in order, fool!

vherub
06-24-2003, 10:27 AM
From RPG Gamer: http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2003/062303c.html

At a shareholder meeting this past weekend, Square Enix executives hastened to assure the company's stock-owning faithful that lukewarm sales of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time were explainable. Square Enix says that the low sales are a result of freezing bugs in the game, which has served to create a negative impression of the title. Executives claimed that Sony's PlayStation 2 middleware is the ultimate culprit, as its compatibility with earlier PlayStation 2 models is sketchy at best.

Whether or not this is the cause of the game's lack of popularity, the more important question that remains is whether anything will be done to improve the situation by the time the game's English localization is complete. If the middleware is truly at fault, North American gamers may be in for the same fate inflicted upon the 480,000 Japanese gamers who have thus far opted to purchase the latest Star Ocean.

Still, there is room for hope; the game is not set to arrive in North America until September 9, leaving some time to rectify the situation. Incidentally, this situation first reared its head back in March, but Enix opted not to do anything about the game's incompatibility with earlier model PlayStation 2s, directing dissatisfied customers to take their complaints up with Sony instead.

is the marriage finally on the rocks? or can the happy couple get through these trying times?

Nindalf
06-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by vherub

is the marriage finally on the rocks? or can the happy couple get through these trying times?

OMG SQUARE-ENIX IS GOING EXCLUSIVE ON GC!!!

seriously i doubt this have too much effect. Sony just buys square some flowers and chocolate and sais it never happen again(yeah right..) and their one big happy family again.

They should visit a relationship councelor. ;)

Icarus4578
06-24-2003, 12:27 PM
What a suprise. Square Enix is blaming an outside party for the lack of expected sales. Now there's a suprise. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Star Ocean is a generic RPG series, would it? Noooooooo...

Rubeus
06-24-2003, 01:56 PM
I think this is pretty much bull! If the real problem is in the middleware, why would the rest of the PS2 game library have absolutely no problems? I think the SO3 programmer are the ones to blame!!

I don't see the other big RPGs having the same problems, like Tales of Destiny 2, FF-X, FFX-2, BOFV.

megajo53
06-24-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Icarus4578
What a suprise. Square Enix is blaming an outside party for the lack of expected sales. Now there's a suprise. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Star Ocean is a generic RPG series, would it? Noooooooo...

Actually, the Star Ocean series is a highly respected, lucrative and coveted series in Japan. The series is just unsuccessful in the US.

Icarus4578
06-24-2003, 02:51 PM
But it's still not near something like DQ or FF. In this particular instance, we have (and it's not uncommon) a case of a company feeling jipped off by their hard work with low sales figures. So, naturally, they take the easy route and point the finger at somebody else. They need to get a life!

Zod
06-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Looks to me like Enix-Square didn't want to admit to shareholders their game's problems are their fault and the low sales must be someone else's fault. They're not without making mistakes, and I find it humorous the way they blame Sony instead of admitting they didn't take older PS/2's into consideration. Besides, not all Square games will sell well. They're not so perfect that all they automatically sell 5 million copies of whatever they release. It's not the first time a Square (or Enix) game didn't sell well, and they're being both arrogant and childish to look to blame others for it.

why would the rest of the PS2 game library have absolutely no problems?

Why would the rest of the Square-Enix games work fine too?

Drunken Savior
06-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Wait...so they are blaming the hardware they recieved to build PS2 games?

It's amazing how much respect for Square has been lost since FF7....(cue bomb dropping whistle)

Zod
06-24-2003, 04:20 PM
No argument there. Their games are getting more and more mediocre all the time, and it's no one else's fault other than their own.

ATMA
06-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Heheheheh why after reading this article the name "MIKAMI" comes in my mind!

Alucard
06-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Icarus4578
But it's still not near something like DQ or FF. In this particular instance, we have (and it's not uncommon) a case of a company feeling jipped off by their hard work with low sales figures. So, naturally, they take the easy route and point the finger at somebody else. They need to get a life!

So you're telling me the freezing issue is imaginary and everyone should still be buying this title despite that flaw? That wouldn't be any reason why after a couple weeks the games HUGE sales would suddenly stop?

Star Ocean is an awesome series. I dont know about DQ, but I definately prefer it anyday over an FF title. SO2 was just amazingly cool. Better then any of the psx FF games released. The series is definately not mediocre, and I'd believe the ps2 being shoddy anyday. Because it is. Thumbs up to Square-Enix for publicly trashing Sony. I'm so hyped for SO3 for ages now. Luckily my system is new <since my old POS ps2 started playing up> that the game should give me no problems.

TheHardware
06-24-2003, 09:04 PM
well alucard....im not surprised...your not even concerned about the truth ..you just want sony bashed....god what if...the ps2 is to blame......there is such a thing as testing a game before it launches....

i dont think they are just pointing the finger...maybe the stuff they are working on is a lil different that what its being played on....hence the problems...with all these different ps2 versions going around...who knows....one lil mistake could be the reason for all the fingerpointing

Drunken Savior
06-24-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ATMA
Heheheheh why after reading this article the name "MIKAMI" comes in my mind!

Haha! Well said, bravo.

Rubeus
06-25-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Drunken Savior
Wait...so they are blaming the hardware they recieved to build PS2 games?

It's amazing how much respect for Square has been lost since FF7....(cue bomb dropping whistle)

I think it is the "Enix" side of Square Enix complained this time. Star Ocean is an Enix game.

The disappointed sales is also reflected by the quality of the game, I heard a number of Star Ocean friends complained that the game system is too complicated and the difficulty is unbalanced in the middle of the game, many said SO2 is a better game than SO3.

Drunken Savior
06-25-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Rubeus
I think it is the "Enix" side of Square Enix complained this time. Star Ocean is an Enix game.

It doesn't matter which side complined. They are one company now, they should act like one.

Investor27
06-25-2003, 01:05 AM
I agree with Alucard about Star Ocean 2 being an awesome game. And I do believe that most of the complaint is probably coming from the Enix side. But Drunken Savior does have a point. Both Square and Enix are one company now, and so their comments should relex their company's name.

ScornedGod
06-25-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
Star Ocean is an awesome series. I dont know about DQ, but I definately prefer it anyday over an FF title. SO2 was just amazingly cool. Better then any of the psx FF games released. The series is definately not mediocre.
Well said...i love that game:cool guy:
Still FF7 i loved as well....and FF8(OMG NOT FF8!!!)

Alucard
06-25-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by TheHardware
well alucard....im not surprised...your not even concerned about the truth ..you just want sony bashed....god what if...the ps2 is to blame......there is such a thing as testing a game before it launches....

i dont think they are just pointing the finger...maybe the stuff they are working on is a lil different that what its being played on....hence the problems...with all these different ps2 versions going around...who knows....one lil mistake could be the reason for all the fingerpointing

Its an rpg. Believe me, the list of names at the end of the manual that say 'testers', probably all played the game on the same model system that Enix probably bought all in one go for that. You cannot release an rpg without play testing as all the scripts, story elements, and everything would not fit together and break up the game. etcetcblahblah.

Maybe its a problem on both sides. But theres no doubting every model ps2 is different. So I'd be more inclined to listen to Enix then Sony who constantly plug their system as the next coming of god and has no flaws at all.

Icarus4578
06-25-2003, 08:56 AM
Well if they playtested it as you said, then they should've run into the same problems the people who bought it did. There's no real excuse for that. After all, they're supposed to be professionals that know all about this kind of stuff. That's not to say Sony is some angel that can do nothing wrong. I'm on my fourth PS2 because they keep breaking (not loading games, CDs, DVDs after under a year's time) and I keep mine in excellent condition. But sooner or later you have to face reality.

BTW, I agree that Star Ocean is better than any recent FF (by far). But the fact that FF outsells it is just that; a fact. People buy games based on name and graphics moreso than originality and funfactor. Those that buy these shoddy titles invent excuses amongst themselves as to why the game is so good. Look at how many people say how great Halo is even though it's just another FPS that does nothing new. I'm not saying that in order for a game to be any good it must be completely original. But it really sucks when companies have nothing better to do than reinvent the past and follow after everybody else. There's too many games coming out way too similar to each other, so somebody should do something different for a change.

Just be prepared to face the game media's wrath because most of them are very much casual gamers; they could care less about something new and fun and will take something like Halo 2 over most anything else despite the fact that it's just going to be yet another FPS that does nothing for the genre other than improve the textures and polygons.