PDA

View Full Version : Alucards Hardware/Software related help!

Alucard
05-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Thats right. I'm here, with all my kilobytes of knowledge, to help you, the unfortunate people who need help, who have problems! This can be anything from games not working properly or something, to your actual PCs doing SPASTIC things that aren't normal and you want fixed.

Generally columns like this are only found in CLEO or COSMOPOLITAN magazines for women, except I wont be telling al the girls to hide the fact they cheated on their boyfriends and still feel good about themselves. This is just lame PC trash. So throw me a problem! And if I can't help you out, someone else will for sure. My fee is low too.

Kid0_oIcarus
05-30-2003, 05:21 PM
Did you say bytes of knowledge?

Hey I got something maybe you can help me with- how about you post in my thread about what PC online games you play (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4575), eh!?

/shameless self-promotion

But enough about me, oh informed one. Riddle me this: in NWN, how do you get the stupid chapter movies' sound to stop skipping? Everything else sounds and runs well enough. It's very annoying. I will throw assorted stuff at you if you say the word "upgrade" I haven't bothered to look at it too closely, but it is annoying.

I've got a SB Audigy XGamer sound card, and a AMD 1800 Athlon XP OC'd @ 1.8GHz w/512MB DDR266 Cas 2 RAM, running Windows ME. In case it matters, I've got measly GeForce2 MX 64MB, AGP 2x... sad, I know.. :p Not upgrading it fer a little while though as I'm busy counting my pennies for a big leap in one... >8) and for the mobo it's a Soltek 75DRV4 KT133A (It's freaking purple man! So so pretty...) oh and yep.. it's all watercooled and lit up like a christmas tree.. I'm so a geek.. GEEKY! To complete the picture I just now need to get bad vision and pasty white skin.. damn my natural handsome tan and superior vision!!

/snort /laugh

Rubeus
05-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Here is a question, is there anyway to keep a fixed IP in your high speed provider? My service provider changes my IP address every few months, which is annoying. Is there any program that allows you to pick an IP of your choice and "maintain" it?

Smurfbert
05-30-2003, 06:45 PM
Yo my vampire Alucard! I just received a trial copy of Doom 3 but it won't play on my Sinclair Spectrum 48 K, how can I make my Spectrum play it. Also I just chainsawed my plasma tv to tiny pieces, what kind of super glue do you recommend me using when fixing it?

Seska
05-31-2003, 01:09 AM
Some ISPs dont give their users fixed IPs, since they usually host such services at an extra cost. Take in mind that its forseen that within 5 to 6 years the amount of current available IP adresses are going to expire (at least until IPv6 is released/implemented), so some ISPs have only a limited number of fixed addresses to give to their customers.

In such cases its usually normal to charge extra for a fixed IP, since your average user doesnt really have the need for one, so the average users is assigned a dynamic IP. Those people who want to host a site on their station (web, ftp, game server) and want their address to be stable usually contract the service from the ISP (at an extra cost) so the bottom line is, nope, theres no software that "fixes" your dynamic ISP.

Be glad! Some dynamic IPs get switched every time you reboot! Once every few months aint so bad. :p

Night-Shade
05-31-2003, 01:45 AM
Hi Hi !

I wanna ask about the processor P4 type C details. I heard and read from article and reviews about this processor saying that it improves a lot in peformance.

The bad thing is, it needs chipset intel 865PE/875PE and motherboard that support DDR 400. The choices motherboards are limited for this type C processor. Plus i heard from someone saying that the new Asus motherboard P4P800 Deluxe/ P4P8X requires only DDR 400 RAM sticks for stable peformance if the processor is type C. It's too expensive for me. Then someone else recommend me with Abit motherboard IS7 which is a lot cheaper.

I dunno which motherboard to get for the processor type C. The thing im confused is... if i get motherboard which support DDR 400, must I require to get DDR 400 RAM sticks for it's full performance? Does the processor type C requires DDR 400 RAMs to get it's full peformance as well?

Oh uh.... i think im confused with RAM sticks with RAM card. Sorry for my bad English.

Alucard
05-31-2003, 04:18 AM
Aaaaaah such lovely questions for meeee!! I shall answer all of you one at a time!

Kid0- FORMAT YOUR HD!!

Rubeus- Basically what Seska said. I'm actually one of those who has a different IP everytime I connect to the net. Its kinda cool cause it stops l33t hax0rz like Kid0 oIcarus from attacking me!

Smurfbert- You have an illegal copy of Doom3 and I have called the internet police and they will be at your house tommorow!!

Night-Shade- Pretty much everything you read is all I could tell you. Going ASUS is a good choice as their boards are always stable. Though aside from this, I would really recommend just going AMD. The chip is much cheaper, the VIA chipset is excellent, and AMD gives performance on par, and sometimes better, then Intel.

Ok, Kid I'll aswer you in detail now. Hopefully you didn't run off like a n00bish alien and format already! Heres some suggestions.. Please do them one at a time and not all together before checking!

1> I have the same purple ray board as you and it 0wnz! It may even reach 3gig cpu for all I know. Anyway, I'll assume you know how to diactivate the onboard sound in the bios menu and already have done so. If you have then ignore first advice!

2>Open Creative's Surround Mixer. Near the top is a drop down list called preset. Select from the list No Effects. Below that is another drop down list called Enviornment. From the drop down list select No Effects. If you have AudioHq running in systray close it. That is primarily used for games that do not support EAX natively. Be sure that the microphone is muted. Also uninstall this useless Audio HQ thing. Useless!

3>Run the NWN config utility to make sure the game is using your sound card for sound and not your modem or something. Dont laugh its happened!

4>Install latest sound card drivers!!!

OK I am very happy I helped all of you with your problems flawlessly! I am on 100% success ratio so far so keep sending me problems for me to fix!

:cool guy:

Kid0_oIcarus
06-02-2003, 09:27 AM
I'd type back a witty reply, but THANKS TO SOMEONE!! my hard drive is formatted... You are seeing this message because I am using my l33t jedi mind p0\|/arz to post directly to the matrix.. er I mean internet. Thust, I can't post using only my mind powers and think up a witty reply. (Else my head will explo-

BOOM!

Rubeus
06-03-2003, 02:02 PM
I have another question:

I am using Windows XP, do you think I should upgrade to Windows Media Player 9? I heard many bad things about it, such as you cannot uninstall it under XP, and a lot of movies will not play in version 9, such as the ones encoded in DivX, xVid, etc.

Alucard
06-03-2003, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure how that works. I'm currently still using 8 mainly cause I'm too lazy to try 9. But do you mean it can't play divX before or after you install the DivX viewing program integrated into media player? But really, if 8 works just fine then I dont see any reason to try out 9.

mackensie
06-03-2003, 04:13 PM
and if you have windows2k or better, and you don't like your windows media player 7.x, 8.x, or 9.x, then just goto run, and type in mplayer2. and the old favorite (relatively bloat-free) version 6.x is available.

Miburo
06-03-2003, 05:15 PM
I was going to upgrade mine to WMP 9, but all of the reviews that I read basically said the same thing: run like hell from Version 9. For various reasons, once you install the program, it virtually becomes impossible to completely remove it from your computer.

??? Anyone can clarify further on this?

Alucard
06-03-2003, 05:23 PM
I've heard the same too about the unable to uninstall thing. So basically think of it like DirectX. Theres always ways to get rid of them, but thats nasty. Stick with media player 8! It works perfectly.

Miburo
06-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Alucard, could you give me some suggestions on sound cards? Please enlighten me, our computer savant!!

vherub
06-03-2003, 06:08 PM
i overclocked my mouse so i could run the splinter cell demo on my pentium II computer, but now when i try to play dos-based games from the early 90s like Jones in the Fast Lane, my computer starts up the word program
i dont have Jones in the fast Lane installed, do you think thats the problem, because i do have wordpad?

this is why linux sucks...

Alucard
06-03-2003, 06:10 PM
I really dont know too much about how Linux works with games. I just avoid it for that purpose...

As for sound card thats easy. Sound Blaster Live 5.1 digital. CHEAP and one of the best cards. You could go for th eAudigy 2 if you wanted to spend a little more money. But I wouldn't bother unless you had your system hooked up to a hi-Fi system.

Rubeus
06-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
I'm not sure how that works. I'm currently still using 8 mainly cause I'm too lazy to try 9. But do you mean it can't play divX before or after you install the DivX viewing program integrated into media player? But really, if 8 works just fine then I dont see any reason to try out 9.

My friend has installed version 9 on his machine, after that a lot of stuffs that used to work under Windows Media Players 8 stopped working, include DivX and xVid movies (even after reinstalling the DixV and xVid codecs). What's even more frustrating is that you cannot uninstall it under Windows XP, because it upgraded some of the system files which cannot be reverted.

Guess what he did at the end? He stopped using Windows Media Player altogehter and switched to RealONE player, it works just as good as Media Player and without all those craps.

Smurfbert
06-03-2003, 10:37 PM
I had the same problem as Rubeus friends plus after installing it my computer kept on crashing. Avoid, stick with 8.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-04-2003, 11:22 AM
Realplayer sucks, avoid it like the plague that it is.

There is some debate, and some think Quicktime is teh devil- but it's what I've sold my soul to. I hate Windows Media Player.. I am fond of the original Media Player though.. before MS decided it need to include bloatware. WTF, all I need is something that plays media, and not suck at it.

Hence... Quicktime is my friend.

Alucard
06-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Hey Kid, did the noise go away on your game?

Kid0_oIcarus
06-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Hehe, sorry haven't tried it yet. I recently beat the game and finally picked up Eternal Darkness along with Timesplitters 2 (both for under $20 ea. Two great games for the price of 1!) so I haven't touched the game since. I will though, eventually.. :D

I'll let ya know ;)

Oh and it wasn't noise.. it was stuttering... it would- speak lik- this an- it was ver- anno- ying.

Alucard
06-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Defrag your hard drive also would be a good thing!

Rubeus
06-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Realplayer sucks, avoid it like the plague that it is.

There is some debate, and some think Quicktime is teh devil- but it's what I've sold my soul to. I hate Windows Media Player.. I am fond of the original Media Player though.. before MS decided it need to include bloatware. WTF, all I need is something that plays media, and not suck at it.

Hence... Quicktime is my friend.

I agree that Realplayer version 8 or older suck, but the new RealONE player is excellent! It is basically a nice replacement of Windows Media Player, without those annoying skins and control panels, and it even plays ASF and WMV videos if you download the additional plug-ins. You can even rip music to MP3, download songs to your MP3 players and burn songs to CD within RealONE player, it's quite handy.

Drunken Savior
06-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Hey Alucard, you know much about flashing video cards? Switching PC video cards to work with Macs?

Alucard
06-05-2003, 08:51 AM
I've flashed many things in my time, but never a video card. Never seen a reason to so I can't help you there sorry.

Seska
06-05-2003, 09:20 AM
REal Player ONE is utter tripe, I am sorry to say. While it may do the job, there are countless better programs that do it as well. I remeber a while back Alucard nagged me to install it, and after I did I ran a few comparison tests with real and media player. For one, when you skipped to differnt parts of an aVI, you would get corruption particles, and the transition wasnt as fast or smooth as media player.

So what did I do? I uninstalled the sucker, that's what I did. :p

I currently use WMP version 8, the one that comes by default with Win XP Pro SP1. It doesnt give me any problems, so far. Other good media players under windows are Cystal Player, BS PLayer, heck even the outdated Sasami 2k offers better playback and filtering options than Real One. I'd jsut use Real One for RM playback, avis and Mpgs will run better on the mentioned media players. But then again I use XP, and not Linux. :D

Alucard
06-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Ok now you're just being silly. RealONE is an excellent player, and to even try to pass Sasami off as better is little more then bias. That player is nothing but one fat corupt mess whenever you try anything. Media 8 is the best with RealONE second.

Seska
06-05-2003, 09:25 AM
I never had any problems with Sasami, but I can assure you even with all its bugs the playback quality is smoother and better than the one Real offers. If you dont like Sasami, you can try Crystal Player, which offers the same sort of filters in a stable program, making even crappy compression video files play back looking better. I'd like to see Real One do that.

Alucard
06-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Your bias towards sasami is only because of the filters it has. Just doing a simple test like expanding the movie size is a clear indication to show how lower quality sasami is to realONE. Perhaps if they updated and worked it more often it would be better, but currently there is no way its better or it would be heaps more popular.

Seska
06-05-2003, 09:34 AM
As I said, if you dont like Sasami, try Crystal Player instead, it offers the same features and much more stable code. In fact, its not even freeware, but you can try the demo, then judge.

But using Real One to playback avis and mpgs - thats just not right. Look in any video compressions forums like doom9.net and no one will recommend Real One as a choice of player.

mackensie
06-05-2003, 10:10 AM
ich, realOne is a mediocore product made by a terrible decieving company which tries to
a. hide the download to the free product hoping to get older incompetant people to buy their sh!tty software
b. up until reciently, they sold all of your usage statics without means to turn off that "feature".
c. continually hijacks nearly all media filetypes

but don't me wrong, media player >= 7.x has nearly identical problems. So I use either mediaplayer 6.x, or winamp 2.9x (which now has video support, and it is 100 times better than the bloatware winamp 3.x)

Rubeus
06-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Seska
REal Player ONE is utter tripe, I am sorry to say. While it may do the job, there are countless better programs that do it as well. I remeber a while back Alucard nagged me to install it, and after I did I ran a few comparison tests with real and media player. For one, when you skipped to differnt parts of an aVI, you would get corruption particles, and the transition wasnt as fast or smooth as media player.

There is at least one thing that RealONE works better than WMP, it is playing corrupted AVI files. Say if you download a 99% completed video, it will not run at all in WMP, but it will still works as fine in RealONE.

Also, you can increase the playback quality by flipping a few playing options in RealONE, not to mention there are still countless number of online radio stations that uses the RM / RAM streaming.

Did Sony mentioned PS2 will use Real Media streaming as well?