PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart to be truely online now? Gamespy?

Tinny
05-27-2003, 07:04 PM
http://www.n-philes.com/php/epvupkpvffeflzfzeufy.php

Check it out. What's up. Any confirm this?

Reality
05-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Is this for real? Did Nintendo really go that extra mile made Mario Kart online ready right up front? I heard of the idea but didn't think Nintendo would make a in-game code. Then again, how would N-Philes know about this and no one else?

Drunken Savior
05-27-2003, 07:24 PM
I suppose it's possible, considering that Halo is virtually done the same way. Just another reason to ditch any 56k modem you shouldn't have and upgrade to ADSL or Cable. Unless your uber lucky and can score something higher. If you do, I hate you, by the way ;)

[Edit] The LAN code will be done by Nintendo and won't be online out of the box. Your gonna have to connect it to a PC (Mac users are screwed, even through Virtual PC) to run Gamespy Arcade and whatever additional program they will create for the Gamecube. Then you just need a router/Hub to connect the GC to the computer.

I just briefly looked around Gamespy and I see nothing relating to this on their Mario Kart: Double Dash. Thought it says "Up to 8 players via the internet" I feel it is a typo and that "network" is more appropriate. You can play on a Local Area Network by hooking up multiple Gamecubes, ala XBox, but Mario Kart Double Dash is not an online game. So until Gamespy makes news of their support for it, I would just consider it some antipiation and gossip, and not news....yet.

Tinny
05-27-2003, 08:33 PM
More digging finds that Nintendo actually licensed their code, but WILL NOT be using tunneling. They have modified it so that you can plug in your broadband adaptor and go with nothing to set. (Would assume you still need a hub between the cable/dsl and an extra address though - Most companies give you 3 anyways.)

Sounds interesting, but still cant confirm them using it in Mario Kart

mackensie
05-28-2003, 09:00 AM
most people have their computers behind a NAT service with a firewall, so the whole 3 ip addresses thing isn't really an issue anyway.

"Double Dash does not include the deep controls of Mario Kart 64. The E3 demo did not include the slide-and-dash technique from the Nintendo 64 game, and Nintendo is unsure whether the technique will be included in the final version. Hopefully they choose to include it, because the racing in the E3 demo was too simple in the opinion of most of the people who played it."

They damn well better put it in the final. If it isn't even slightly difficult to drive to 100% potential, then what is the point?

zsidane
06-09-2003, 04:18 PM
yyyyyes baby yas!
please nintendo, just do it!

Nindalf
06-10-2003, 02:47 PM
This game is gonna be so great, and N64 mario kart was the best selling N64 game in Japan so it should increase cube sales nicely.

The Steved!
06-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by NiN
This game is gonna be so great, and N64 mario kart was the best selling N64 game in Japan so it should increase cube sales nicely.

uhhh na! Mario Kart will sell a lot but will never increase GC sales it never did and never will.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Yeah, 'cuz since you say so it must be so, huh?

The Steved!
06-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus

exactly!! Think for a second! The market is saturated! Less people own consoles and PC are everywhere. Therefore if more PS2 owners then u have less chance of having an increase in GC sales. For GC sales to go up u need PS2 owners to buy a GC. And u really expect them to do it for Mario Kart!!????

Renegade X
06-11-2003, 03:03 AM
I have to agree with The Steved! on this one, to an extent, Mario Kart 64 was a system seller, Double Dash isn't... it may sell a lot but it's not gonna sells systems like Wind Waker did... you might get a hundred units sold because of it but... seriously, the biggest system sellers coming out this year is Soul Calibur and if it makes it FFCC. MKDD isn't a bit update like Metroid Prime and Wind Waker were... Right now Mario games don't have a good record... which maybe be the reason why Nintnedo is picking out a new mascot (or was that just a rumor?) anyways... I don't even see why Nintendo is even doing Double Dash to be honest with all you Nintendo Fans.... the only way I'm gonna buy into the MKDD is gonna sell systems, is if it's online but it's not...

Reality
06-11-2003, 07:51 AM
I was going to but MKDD of the bat till the new screens came. I can't figure out why even call it Mario Kart now. It should be Goofy Mario Racing. But that is just me. If it has that free online, yeah, that make it with it. If not, I'll be checking some 3rd party racers.

vherub
06-11-2003, 01:41 PM
if mariokart had been a launch title (or a launch for the next console) then a large impact on the user base would be seen. however, at this point in the lifespan of the 3 consoles a mario kart title, even if it led to a best case scenario 1 -2 million increase in consoles, would not put a tremendous dent in the ps2's lead
that being said, mariokart 64 was and still is the best "party" racer on any console, period
and if the gc can replicate that experience it will be a must-buy for gc-owners, nintendo is still the best game maker in the industry, and the only real reason not tp pick up a gamecube is that not everyone has $150 burning a hole in their pocket, unless mario kart came witha free gamecube, its not going to rocket the console up several notches in user base, and instead will most likely follow the path of other solid nintendo games that performed well but did not take the industry by storm such as mertroid or wind waker

XzenoGear
06-11-2003, 03:04 PM

Kid0_oIcarus! You allways make me laugh!!:haha: :haha: :haha: :lol:

The Steved!
06-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Reality
I was going to but MKDD of the bat till the new screens came. I can't figure out why even call it Mario Kart now. It should be Goofy Mario Racing. But that is just me. If it has that free online, yeah, that make it with it. If not, I'll be checking some 3rd party racers.

I have to agree on this one it doesnt feel like the old mariokart on 64 and even less to the one on the SNES (which is in my point of view the best one) and I'm judging by the pics and the previews. Maybe this will sound absurd to certain people, but I don't like the facyt that u can choose one caracter more thant once in the same course. ( like two bowsers on the road at the same time)

Kid0_oIcarus
06-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Doesn't feel like the first one? Going off of previews and screens?

OK.. :rolleyes:

Has it been confirmed that characters can be picked by more than one person, per race/battle?

The Steved!
06-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Doesn't feel like the first one? Going off of previews and screens?

OK.. :rolleyes:

Has it been confirmed that characters can be picked by more than one person, per race/battle?

http://cube.ign.com/articles/402/402170p1.html

Mohtools
06-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by The Steved!
I have to agree on this one it doesnt feel like the old mariokart on 64 and even less to the one on the SNES (which is in my point of view the best one) and I'm judging by the pics and the previews. Maybe this will sound absurd to certain people, but I don't like the facyt that u can choose one caracter more thant once in the same course. ( like two bowsers on the road at the same time)

This is better. Now I don't get to fight with my friends on who will select DK. Also the game looks really good. I LIKE!!:cool guy:

The Steved!
06-12-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Mohtools
This is better. Now I don't get to fight with my friends on who will select DK. Also the game looks really good. I LIKE!!:cool guy:

No Mohtools this is not great. Cuz there's no logic then, how can Bowser be at a different place at the same time, it doesn't make sense. Plus this added some kind of challenge for the other players too master other caracters and for me and my friends it was fun knowing everybody add there caracters set. Just like in Smash Bros. whom likes when there are four sheiks in the game? nobody! Anyways that was the reason why in the first one they made classes so that u can have a choice between two caracters(Mario-Luigi, Bowser-DK, Princess-Yoshi, Toad-KoopaTroopa) so basicly with some SLIGHT differences they basicly played the same.

Reality
06-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Hehe, you bring up a good point but such logic doesn't even count for anything in these type of games. At lest with Nintendo. Even with characters like Bowser, Mario, Luigi there are Baby Mario, Baby Luigi and Baby Bowser. Now how is that possible? For the most part, I don't mind the 2 player kart idea as much as I do just the kart design. It went from Mario Go-karts to baby baskets and pink automobiles, that kinda look like tractors.

Mohtools
06-13-2003, 08:03 AM
No Mohtools this is not great. Cuz there's no logic then, how can Bowser be at a different place at the same time, it doesn't make sense. Plus this added some kind of challenge for the other players too master other caracters and for me and my friends it was fun knowing everybody add there caracters set. Just like in Smash Bros. whom likes when there are four sheiks in the game? nobody! Anyways that was the reason why in the first one they made classes so that u can have a choice between two caracters(Mario-Luigi, Bowser-DK, Princess-Yoshi, Toad-KoopaTroopa) so basicly with some SLIGHT differences they basicly played the same.

Logic? Then answer me that how come a mushroom makes you travel faster? Please, just play the game and have fun. Even GT is not logical (no car damage). Also don't forget IT'S MARIO KART.

Bad1
06-13-2003, 01:01 PM
The Steved!, must have never played SSB:M. All four people can play as the same character on that one. In no way has i stoped it from being a great game.:haha: This is a good idea for the Mario Kart series. :D

The Steved!
06-14-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by bad1 81
The Steved!, must have never played SSB:M. All four people can play as the same character on that one. In no way has i stoped it from being a great game.:haha: This is a good idea for the Mario Kart series. :D

:yikes:

by the way they named me the smash bros king...:o

and like I said Smash Bros was different cause it implicated that the caracters were toys.

It sad SSBM is not online cause I would have gladly proove it to u.

:2happy:

Danchastu
06-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Mohtools
Logic? Then answer me that how come a mushroom makes you travel faster?

Mario games have always been trippy. Also explains why the babies and adult forms can co-exist. Mario never could face his shroom addiction. And it doesn't help that Shiggy and Iwata kick back and smoke their home grown pikimin. The majority of the Mario series takes place within Mario's own head

Nindalf
06-14-2003, 10:16 AM

Who? your little brother and his friends? Hurhur!

Seriously logic has nuthin to do with mario. its just cool that you can choose 2 or more of the same char. If you think its stupid pick another one!

BTW: Anyone know how many Battle stages MK: DD will have? MK64 only had 4 and still we played them for months(No, not me and my little bro cuz i dont have one, thank god but with my friends) I hope there will be atleast 10 battle stages.

Bad1
06-15-2003, 07:43 PM
:yikes:

and like I said Smash Bros was different cause it implicated that the caracters were toys.
Both are party games with great 1-player modes, non-the-less.

It sad SSBM is not online cause I would have gladly proove it to u.

:2happy:
That is a shame. Cause I would gladly proove you wrong.:haha:

Kid0_oIcarus
06-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Whoa that does suck, I kinda liked seeing only onte type of character on screen...

But then I realized in SSBM you could play as the same characters, and that turned out great.

So now it doesn't really bother me anymore.

Cool.