PDA

View Full Version : E3: Full Throttle 2

Drunken Savior
05-18-2003, 01:42 AM
Source: http://www.gamespy.com/e32003/preview/xbox/1002342/

One thing that LucasArts has always been famous for is pushing the boundaries of the adventure genre of gaming. With famous titles like the Monkey Island series and Day of the Tentacle, the company has a well-established reputation for humor and excitement, making their adventure games instant classics. With Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels they're hoping to recapture some of that magic and introduce some action elements to keep up the pacing.

The game features 19 different, unique locations set in a humorous, post-apocalyptic wasteland (no, really!) where bikers and biker gangs rule the roads. You take on the roll of Ben Throttle, a square-jawed, swaggering menace with a 5 o'clock shadow, Elvis 'do and a bad attitude. Wandering from biker camp to biker camp, Ben will converse with over 50 stylish characters solving puzzles and punching out anyone who gets in his way.

It's the switch from adventure to somewhat simplistic third-person fighting engine that gives Full Throttle it's unique twist. Ben will be challenged numerous times by various bikers during his travels and he'll be forced to resort to head-butts and ham-fisted diplomacy while on his feet or kicks and clotheslines while fighting from his bike in order to get the job done. All this is done to a rousing, hipster soundtrack, of course.

In the quick preview given us, we saw Ben saunter into a biker camp belonging to a rockabilly biker gang (each gang will be unique and have its own set of quirks and interesting characters) and challenge each member of the "band" to a duel. Landing blows until his "Mojo Meter" was full, he could then grab his opponents and end the fight with a forehead-to-forehead encounter or by picking up any nearby object and using the other biker as a quality-assurance test dummy. This, of course, was preceded by the flinging of insults and verbal one-upsmanship which has made the Monkey Island series famous. Having then conquered the gang and solving a few clever puzzles, Ben climbed on his 8-exhaust-pipe hog and roared up a ramp and over the compound wall. The volume wasn't up loud enough, but if this sequence wasn't conducted to a classic, wailing guitar it would've surprised us.

The game's interface is a simple, but cleverly contextual skull-and-flames tattoo-esque design that appears in the upper left of the screen, meaning that those playing on the various platforms the game will appear on (PC, Xbox and PS2) should have no trouble navigating the interface.

Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels appears to be a welcome return to LucasArt's classic roots. If their previous legacy of quality, and painfully funny, adventure titles is any evidence, this is a game to keep an eye on.

Images here:
http://www.gamespy.com/e32003/gallery/xbox/1002163/

This game and Doom 3 (Notice the order) will be the games that force me to invest in a PC, forming "The Two Towers" Mac and PC setup. :P IFull Throttle was the first game I got for my original PC (and only PC) and played it again and again.

Alucard
05-18-2003, 02:01 AM
Add Half Life 2 to that list of yours my new found beloved PC user friend!

Seska
05-18-2003, 06:35 AM
Ugh, am I the only one unimpressed by the trend Lucas has gotten in making all its freaking franchises in 3D ever since Grim Fandango and MI4? The 2D syle of FT1 was far better than this half assed 3D crap. Blah. Blahblah. Grr.

Drunken Savior
05-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Nah, your not. They could immitate handrawn cell quality if they wanted to. Both games should play like cell cartoons. But the humors there, and that's what I love the most about them.

Monkey Island 3 will be my favorite just for how close it got to animation quality.

Drunken Savior
06-05-2003, 04:46 AM
You can watch the trailer at the Lucasarts website:
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/hellonwheels/