PDA

View Full Version : Thief III preview on GS

Seska
05-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Go get it: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/thief3/preview_6026499.html

Alucard, try not to slobber too much. :p

A few comments: SIMULTANEOUS PC AND XBOX RELEASE?!?! STREAMLINED OR "SIMPLIFIED" CONTROLS?!?! AARRGH!

Still, its Thief, so I wont complain TOO much, at heart it will still be a sneakemup game (hopefully) unless Eidos feel it needs more action to appeal to console gamers. It boggles the mind why they bother with making Xbox versions of Thief 3 and DX2 when such games will not appeal to the instant-gratification seeking console market. Both games will bomb. On PC however... can you say Game of the Year?

Renegade X
05-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Seska
Alucard, try not to slobber too much. :p

A few comments: SIMULTANEOUS PC AND XBOX RELEASE?!?! STREAMLINED OR "SIMPLIFIED" CONTROLS?!?! AARRGH!

Still, its Thief, so I wont complain TOO much, at heart it will still be a sneakemup game (hopefully) unless Eidos feel it needs more action to appeal to console gamers. It boggles the mind why they bother with making Xbox versions of Thief 3 and DX2 when such games will not appeal to the instant-gratification seeking console market. Both games will bomb. On PC however... can you say Game of the Year?

I think it's too late to warn Alucard not to slobber too much...

I doubt Specter would change Thief III to a FPS instead of a FPs (I figured lowercase S would stand for sneaker better, I'm lazy I know just hit me with a wet towel or something) I disagree with you about DX2... and Thief 3, these games may not be Doom III, but they still put a stress on most people's PCs so that might help out the XBOX some... but remember, these games sale their best in the US and I think Europe and right now the XBOX is the number 2 consoles and most likely the only console where Ion Storm can work on two version at the same time, and not have to worry too much about having them suffer Gameplay wise.

Seska
05-10-2003, 10:45 AM
The issue isnt that a Xbox version is taking time of the PC dev, its simply that games like DX and Thief are not suited for a console market. Console gamers are known for their notorious need for quick, easy action, and games like Thief and DX2 are anything but.

Didn't Morrowind bomb on Xbox? While the setting is entirely different, DX2 may be comparable to that. And Thief? Can you imagine console gamers willing to sit huddled in a dark corner for up to five minutes doing nothing but watching guard patrol paths?

Deus Ex 1 was a total flop on the console market, I don't see why DX2 should be any different. As for the games performance on PCs, nothing specific has been mentioned yet to my knowledge, but considering they were using the Unreal2 engine at first, (before deciding to sue their own) I would venture that its notwhere near demanding as Doom 3 or other games with next gen engines.

Alucard
05-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Seska

PIECE OF **** EIDOS ROT AND DIE!! :angry:

And now the fawning of Thief 3 begins... *drooooooooool*