PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates' Love Affair with the Toilet

Miburo
05-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Uhhh, I don't know what to think about this. If it is in your own house, at least you know who's been using it or how often it gets *cleaned.* But in public restrooms? Like hell I'm gonna touch those keyboards!!

Read:

Logging on

Oh dear what can the matter be? William Gates has invaded the lavatory

Press Association
Thursday May 8, 2003

Computer giant Microsoft is developing a portable toilet which allows users to surf the internet.
The iLoo, or www.c as its designers have dubbed it, has a built-in keyboard and plasma screen at seat level and a surround sound speaker system under the sink.

Connection to the internet is via fast broadband technology through an aerial fitted to the roof.

In a sign that nowhere is sacred when it comes to advertising, Microsoft is in talks with toilet paper manufacturers about putting the names of websites on each sheet.

The first to try the toilet will be revellers at some of Britain's biggest summer music festivals this year.

Microsoft has not forgotten about the notorious queues for toilet facilities at such events either and is planning to have a computer station with a keyboard and screen so those waiting in line can send emails.

Tracy Blacher, from Microsoft, said: "The internet's so much a part of everyday life now that surfing on the loo was the next natural step.

"People used to reach for a book or magazine when they were on the loo but now they'll be logging on.

"It's exciting to think that the smallest room can now be the gateway to the massive virtual world."

In 1997 Microsoft created the first "cyber Brookside" by taking an ordinary London street and giving each home a personal computer connected to the internet which they could use to communicate with one another.

Source:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/news/0,12597,951975,00.html

Drunken Savior
05-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Cool idea, but with public port-a-podies sanitation allready at "Filthy", who could touch a keyboard covered in piss and feces? I wouldn't.

As for that matter, who would want their logo on toilet paper?

Man, if your allowed to be this crazy when your rich, sign me up.

Twelve
05-08-2003, 06:53 PM
LOL...this is hilarious. I don't even know why they sometimes have magazines in restrooms...who's going to want to touch that? Heck, I don't even use public restrooms anymore, unless I REALLY have to go or I'll explode.

Still, I guess people might be in the restrooms for even LONGER if this works...

12:D

Renegade X
05-09-2003, 05:33 AM
Oh, lets not forget the idiots who are going to be in the shower and realize that their EBay auction is about to end and attemps to get on the net and place a bet soaking wet. I can see the headlines now.

E-BAYER B-DEAD V-IA E-LECTORCUTION!!

insteefy
05-09-2003, 09:47 AM
would be cool tho to have in ur OWN toilet, lol

Alucard
05-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Maybe they could do a survey on what majority people, while in the toilet, surf for. I'm pretty sure it'll be pr0n! Now I'm going to leave you all and invent my own special keyboard cover. Like the disposable toilet seat covers, I shall bring my own version of the keyboard covers. After all, we dont want our keys to become...sticky.

Yeah yeah you can groan at my little overview. But it aint as disgusting as the one before me commenting on fingers covered in urine and feces!! What the hell!!! :crazy:

Reality
05-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Umm, I don't know about some but I don't read anything when on the pot. I'm on there for just a few minutes then off.

mackensie
05-09-2003, 03:35 PM
ever get that feeling of deja vu? (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4258)

Miburo
05-09-2003, 04:13 PM
Sorry about that, Mackensie, I had somehow overlooked your thread. When I read the article, I had found it so appalling that I just had to post it on the forum. :P

Vyse
05-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Reality
Umm, I don't know about some but I don't read anything when on the pot. I'm on there for just a few minutes then off.

Thats how I am to, I always wonder about people who have to bring their Gameboy into the bathroom...

This is why they shouldnt make pulp free orange juice

mackensie
05-13-2003, 10:01 AM
iLoo a hoax ;) (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/05/12/financial0014EDT0002.DTL)

mackensie
05-14-2003, 01:19 PM
yet another change of the official statement by microsoft

Microsoft: 'iLoo' not hoax, but bad idea (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030514/wr_nm/tech_microsoft_iloo_dc_2)
But on Tuesday Microsoft switched its story and said that the iLoo had been a legitimate project by its British MSN Internet service that was terminated after the initial announcement prompted controversy, ridicule and disgust.