PDA

View Full Version : PS2-Graphics, can they keep up?

ScornedGod
05-04-2003, 07:27 AM
I was wondering how long do ppl think that the ps2 can keep up? As well as how much % of the systems capabilities are currently bieng used?
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/04/22/ghost/hunter_screen007.jpg
Ghosthunter-Studio Cambridge

Zod
05-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Man I don't think the old PSX and SNES were ever maxed out in terms of their capacity. Games like Two Towers do come close though.

DeathStroke
05-04-2003, 11:53 AM
I'm of the opinion that they'll keep being improved. Silent Hill 3 and that title you showed look pretty good.

mackensie
05-04-2003, 12:47 PM
2 questions in this thread:
Can the PS2 graphics keep up with the competition?

I would say No, but graphics don't make a game. gameplay makes a game. I'd MUCH rather have a game that looks 5% worse, yet is 50% more fun.

How much more potential is the PS2 currently using?
I said <75%. PS1 took over 5 years to reach its max (and it could have theoretically gone further, but people started programming for ps2).
100% potential is impossible, but you can approach that limit, it just takes time and money :)

ATMA
05-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Noooooooooo not the Teddybear picture again?! ......*runs away*

Alucard
05-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Somethings wrong with that screenshot. Its too smooth. And for the ps1, I think Vagrant Story was the game that got out the most in that system from what I remember reading. And it showed it too.

ScornedGod
05-05-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
Somethings wrong with that screenshot. Its too smooth. And for the ps1, I think Vagrant Story was the game that got out the most in that system from what I remember reading. And it showed it too.
Yeah,it does look a bit too smooth but it does appear to be in game( the texture blurs in the background). As for Vangrant Story I own it and it is definitely the best looking ps1 game ive seen.

Originally posted by DeathStroke
I'm of the opinion that they'll keep being improved. Silent Hill 3 and that title you showed look pretty good.
Silent Hill 3,Ghosthunter and Gran turismo 4 are whats keeping me believing that the ps2 isnt out of the competition (graphically).

Rubeus
05-05-2003, 08:44 PM
What about GameCube? How far do you think the graphic capabilities are used? I'd say about 80%, since it's a much easier system to program with, developers don't need to spend too much time to squeeze out the power of the system.

mackensie
05-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Rubeus
What about GameCube? How far do you think the graphic capabilities are used? I'd say about 80%, since it's a much easier system to program with, developers don't need to spend too much time to squeeze out the power of the system. IMO, I agree. I think the xbox is even higher, probably above 90%, because it is the easiest console to program for (just a modified pc). Hence, you can max out the potential a whole lot easier, then with something as complicated and obsecure as the ps2. This is something I've always thought that the xbox and gc did right, and the ps2 did wrong.

vherub
05-06-2003, 06:00 PM
remember the "graphics" of any game can be improved 6-14%* by modding your tv screen with a bottle of fantastic and some paper towels

*note this percentage was made up and cannot be backed up by any before and after picks of a tv screen

Twelve
05-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Well, I think that the biggest problem with the PS2 is just the fact that it's so hard to develop games for it. Look at Splinter Cell for the PS2 and Xbox...the Xbox version STILL looks better, even though the PS2 version required more manpower and money to make it.

Like Mackensie said, though, gameplay is where it's at in the end. I still haven't seen a game from any console that completely blows away another console's game graphics. The Xbox and Gamecube have still failed to impress me with their supposedly superior graphics.

P.S. And Vagrant Story was the best looking game on the PS2? Hmmm.....

Username
05-07-2003, 02:03 AM
Developers know the PS2 hardware very well by now. I mean, heck, they HAVE TO. PS2 is like 81% of the market. Devs are really squeezing everything they can outta the PS2. But 300mhz only goes so far...

ScornedGod
05-07-2003, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Nicole's Sky
P.S. And Vagrant Story was the best looking game on the PS2? Hmmm.....
Umm, we were talking about it for the PS1 (I dont think its on ps2), and the game was really good looking, after all it was a squaresoft game,and it was sharp,clear and detailed :)

But 300mhz only goes so far...
But who would have thought it could even go this far ;)

Twelve
05-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by ScornedGod
Umm, we were talking about it for the PS1 (I dont think its on ps2), and the game was really good looking, after all it was a squaresoft game,and it was sharp,clear and detailed :)

But who would have thought it could even go this far ;)

DOH! That's what happens when I type too fast.

Username
05-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Tekken 3 looked better IMHO. I wish Namco would remake the game. Tekken Tag was awful and ruined the franchise.

Yogi
05-09-2003, 12:49 PM
I think the Gran Turismo series are the games that are pushing the PS1/PS2 to the limits. Have you forgotten who made them? It's Sony themselves, who would have known their own hardware better other then themselves?

I also remember Sony mentioning GT3 A-Spec as a triple A title. I do think giving a title a triple A rating means a lot.