PDA

View Full Version : Video card listing comparison

Alucard
04-24-2003, 06:34 AM
This is a relatively basic chart in terms of specs and power of all the video cards released at the moment. For anyone whos interested in upgrading or even buying a new system, this should give you a fair idea of what card is good. Check out the power of each and then look up prices. If it looks spiffy then my advice is to look up benchmarks with standard games like Quake 3 and the like, yadda yadda yadda. You can click on the cards and see a review this site did of each card in comparison to some others in the same league. But always best to check other places like tomshardware or sharkyextreme to name a couple.

http://www.tech-report.com/etc/comparo/graphics/

Drunken Savior
04-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Wow, thanks! Now if I could only figure out the significance of each of them, I'd bet set. Right now I'm using a ATI Radeon 8500, simply because ATI is the best video out video card for the Mac right now. And I watch alotta cartoons.

3nigma
04-28-2003, 07:30 PM
oh sweet....i've been looking for something like this
thanks

Username
04-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Looking at video card strictly by their numbers is a bad way of picking the right card. A 64MB can crush a 128MB card and more bandwidth can actually be WORSE for you.

It's best to judge cards on their technology and proven benchmarks. OH YEAH and price.

Seska
04-29-2003, 12:21 AM
Compatibility is anoother big issue to take into mind when purchasing a card. While a Radeon 9700 may destroy a ti4600 in performance, its a known fact that ATI users suffer from bugs and corrupt textures more often than NVidia card users.

Alucard
04-29-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by TheMagicBox
Looking at video card strictly by their numbers is a bad way of picking the right card. A 64MB can crush a 128MB card and more bandwidth can actually be WORSE for you.

It's best to judge cards on their technology and proven benchmarks. OH YEAH and price.

I'm a little confused by what you're trying to say.. The technology is the main thing that gives out the numbers during benchmarks. If one card has more bandwidth, then it'll out perform the card with less. Besides, always look up benchmarks aswell as I provided a couple places for people to check. Upgrading can be quite fun.

Seska
04-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Better hardware not always means better performance. While the MAtrox PArhelia on paper looks like a killer card, its actual performace is that of a low range GF4 ti card. Other than looking at simple numbers, its important to look at actual game benchmaks, the charts Toms HArdware offers are usually good to give you an idea what to expect at which resolutions and color ranges.

Healin
05-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Username

64MB usually have faster RAMs. Most games do not require 128MB but it is definately better for games with lots of texture. UT2k3, BF1942 etc... :)

Do correct me if I'm wrong.