PDA

View Full Version : xbox survival

scondrel
05-28-2002, 03:38 AM
i want to buy an x-box ,but where are the games i like rpgs , action adventure,and shooters and as of yet there is not much to shout about.what do you think of x-box survival by early next year?

Black Sugar
05-28-2002, 09:08 AM
I think X-box will survive this upcoming year. But if they keep going at this rate they won't survive for another 2 years.

The poor sale both in japan and Europe really disturb me a lot.

They did have a pretty tight line-up at E3 (panzer Dragon Orta,Shemue 2 ect...) but not that much.

My best advise, wait a little more man, The X-box future is still blurry.

Seska
05-28-2002, 09:08 AM
Xbox will most certainly be alive next year, though I have a feeling that its success will mostly be felt in the US. As great as the titles they ahve annoucned in E3 are, I dont think they are enough to gain a big portion of the European and Japanese markets. If you want RPGs, PS2 seems to be the better platform, what with games like Star Ocean 3, Suikoden 3, FFXI and Xenosaga all being out by next year.

Of action adventures and shooters there seems to be plenty on the Xbox and plenty more coming.

Yoshi
05-28-2002, 10:17 AM
This industry has never been able to keep three consoles going for an extended period of time. By Christmas 2003, the Xbox will be bargain bin fodder.

Alucard
05-28-2002, 11:15 AM
I think it'll be around much after then christmas 2003. The XBox is a little different to the other consoles. Take Dreamcast for example. It's sold extremely well in America and Europe. But in Japan it was average in sales. A Japanese system will only last as long as the japanese support it. The XBox I dont think will care much about the japanese figures. Oh sure they will take it into consideration. But I think America and Europe is what they are looking mostly at.
I'm no fan of the console. But after seeing Panzar Dragoon Orta... damn. Did I mention aside from being a Konami Whore I'm a pretty big sega whore too? Whatever system gets the Shining Force rpg will be my favourite console. It could be Gamecube.

DBJAY
05-28-2002, 12:16 PM
At E3, MS revealed they do have a 2 billion dollar committment to the Xbox platform, so at least you know it will be around for a long time. Personally, after browsing through all of the E3 news and previews up at various game sites, there is more than enough software coming this summer and fall of 2002. So much in fact, that I doubt I will be able to purchase all the great games out there.

For example, do I go for some of the best graphics in Panzer Orta, considering the first two games were fantastic? Or do I try for Blinx, with the revolutionary time manipulation system? Or do I buy the new Metal Gear title? The list goes on and on. It is pointless trying to convince people on a forum about the quality software coming, especially considering all a person has to do is check out several game sites.

typexig
05-28-2002, 03:00 PM
i think that the thing called xbox will be around for untill the end of this next-gen system war.. even though im not an Xbox fan, im really impressesed with their future games (Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue, Blinx, Ninja Gaiden, ect..)..i hope the thing called Xbox will stay thourgh out the whole battle. cuz it'll be boring if its only GC and PS2 are in the market.. and plus.. with the Xbox, being the most powerful system out of the 3, sony is trying really hard making their games really really good.. the better the compitition, the better games we get..right?...=)

Black Sugar
05-29-2002, 09:21 AM
yup.. and the cheaper the console get too ^-^!

Seska
05-29-2002, 09:50 AM
Typexig makes a good point. ITs been a while since the console companies arent stealing our cash with outrageously high priced consoles, as is uaully the case at least ehre in Europe. I mean... almost 540 Euro for a Ps2? I think its great that theres a lot of competition, it fosters better quality products at lower price ranges. Gamecube is released, Xbox Lowers its price, Gamecube lowers again adn so does Xbox, forcing Sony to go down as well because it quite clearly is the technically weaker product and most expensive. Now they are talking about lowering price on games too. al they care about now is getting the console in your house and establishing a user base, to make cash back from software sales.

I say keep it up! In the end Ill stick to the console that gives me the games I like, and since that happens to be Japanese RPGs, with PS2 Ill stay for the while being.

Though Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden are looking extremely tempting right about now...

WINDJAMMERS
05-29-2002, 01:05 PM
There is a bad side to having three consoles out.

A lot of the top developers split their games three ways and sometimes you miss out on a great title.

Iori
05-29-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Alucard
....Take Dreamcast for example. It's sold extremely well in America and Europe. But in Japan it was average in sales. A Japanese system will only last as long as the japanese support it. The XBox I dont think will care much about the japanese figures. ....

I don't think so, Sega and a few other developers are still supporting Dreamcast in Japan, there are still games coming out for DC this summer and fall; but DC is already dead in Euro and US, long before Japanese support went off.

If Xbox doesn't get decent Japanese support, the chances are -- there won't be any decent RPGs coming out at all for Xbox, and that definitely would make an impact on sales, driving all RPG players to look elsewhere.

Havoc2049
05-29-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by scondrel
i want to buy an x-box ,but where are the games i like rpgs , action adventure,and shooters and as of yet there is not much to shout about.what do you think of x-box survival by early next year?

First of all, traditional 2D shooters are pretty much dead on all the systems, which sucks, I love shooters myself. The Xbox has or will have a large amount of first person shooters and 3-D shooters. Halo, Ghost Recon, Unreal, Rainbow Six, Wolfenstien, Halo 2, Turok, XIII, Timesplitters 2, Battlefield 1942, Dues Ex2, Doom 3 and a few others for the FPS genre. In the 3-D shooter genre you have or will have Gunvalkrie, Freefall, Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter(wich is both a FPS and 3-D space shooter), Panzer Dragoon Orta, Falcone Enter the Malestrom(another FPS and 3-D space shooter), Crimson Skies, Defender, Yager and a few others.

In the action/adventure genre you have or will have Brute Force, Bloodrayne, Hunter: The Reckoning, Onimusha 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Dead to Rights, Ninja Gaiden, Malice, Third Echelon, Bruce Lee, Shenmue 2, Indiana Jones, The Thing and a bunch of other ones.

RPG's are looking good if you like American and Euro style RPG's.
Morrowind comes out any day now and then you have Enclave, Fellowship of the Ring, Lord of the Rings, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Project Ego, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dragonkind, Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes and a few others.
The Japanese RPG scene is kinda weak though. There is already one out in Japan that was available at launch, that was crap(forget the name). There are a few RPG's in development by some small companies in Japan. The only big Japanese RPG on the horizon is Phantasy Star Online by Sega. Koei is also working on something for the Xbox, but their games are usually a RPG/Strategy hybrid type game.

I wouldn't worry about the Xbox not being around next year. You have to look at the big picture with Microsoft. Microsoft is committing two billion dollars to the current Xbox console over the next two years. Two billion is a lot of money in the console world, but to Microsoft, it is chump change over a two year period. I read in Business Week magazine recently that even with Microsoft losing money on the Xbox, they are still pulling in around a billion dollars a week in revenue, because their other ventures are so profitable. Microsoft also has a 40 billion dollar war chest just siting in the bank earning interest, getting larger every day. The Xbox is also laying the groundwork for XB2 which will probably come in two forms, a video game console and a set top box that will provide web service, digital cable, movies and video games.

The Xbox isn?t selling that bad. The Xbox is outselling the Gamecube in both North America and Europe. Xbox sales in Europe have increased 300% since the price drop there. The Xbox has also been the best selling console in Australia, since the price drop there, with Halo being the number one selling game in that country. The question should be, can Nintendo survive a console price war? Sony and Microsoft can outspend Nintendo right out of the home console market, just like Sony did with Sega, 3DO and Atari. Microsoft really needs to kick it into gear in Japan, the PS2 is just dominating both the Gamecube and Xbox in Japan. Nintendo has only sold around 400,000 Gamecubes and Microsoft about 220,000 Xbox?s in Japan so far this year, which is terrible for both systems.

The above is all about money though. Just buy what console you think has the coolest games. All three already have some sick ass games and some great games in the pipeline. I love both my Jaguar and Saturn and would never trade them in for a Playstation, but that is because I love Atari and Sega games. Any of the current consoles by Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo would be a good buy if you love video games. None of the current consoles are going to bomb big time and be out for a really short time, like a Virtual Boy or Neo Geo Pocket.

Todd

folken001
06-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by AtariX

First of all, traditional 2D shooters are pretty much dead on all the systems, which sucks, I love shooters myself. The Xbox has or will have a large amount of first person shooters and 3-D shooters. Halo, Ghost Recon, Unreal, Rainbow Six, Wolfenstien, Halo 2, Turok, XIII, Timesplitters 2, Battlefield 1942, Dues Ex2, Doom 3 and a few others for the FPS genre. In the 3-D shooter genre you have or will have Gunvalkrie, Freefall, Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter(wich is both a FPS and 3-D space shooter), Panzer Dragoon Orta, Falcone Enter the Malestrom(another FPS and 3-D space shooter), Crimson Skies, Defender, Yager and a few others.

In the action/adventure genre you have or will have Brute Force, Bloodrayne, Hunter: The Reckoning, Onimusha 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Dead to Rights, Ninja Gaiden, Malice, Third Echelon, Bruce Lee, Shenmue 2, Indiana Jones, The Thing and a bunch of other ones.

RPG's are looking good if you like American and Euro style RPG's.
Morrowind comes out any day now and then you have Enclave, Fellowship of the Ring, Lord of the Rings, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Project Ego, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dragonkind, Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes and a few others.
The Japanese RPG scene is kinda weak though. There is already one out in Japan that was available at launch, that was crap(forget the name). There are a few RPG's in development by some small companies in Japan. The only big Japanese RPG on the horizon is Phantasy Star Online by Sega. Koei is also working on something for the Xbox, but their games are usually a RPG/Strategy hybrid type game.

I wouldn't worry about the Xbox not being around next year. You have to look at the big picture with Microsoft. Microsoft is committing two billion dollars to the current Xbox console over the next two years. Two billion is a lot of money in the console world, but to Microsoft, it is chump change over a two year period. I read in Business Week magazine recently that even with Microsoft losing money on the Xbox, they are still pulling in around a billion dollars a week in revenue, because their other ventures are so profitable. Microsoft also has a 40 billion dollar war chest just siting in the bank earning interest, getting larger every day. The Xbox is also laying the groundwork for XB2 which will probably come in two forms, a video game console and a set top box that will provide web service, digital cable, movies and video games.

The Xbox isn?t selling that bad. The Xbox is outselling the Gamecube in both North America and Europe. Xbox sales in Europe have increased 300% since the price drop there. The Xbox has also been the best selling console in Australia, since the price drop there, with Halo being the number one selling game in that country. The question should be, can Nintendo survive a console price war? Sony and Microsoft can outspend Nintendo right out of the home console market, just like Sony did with Sega, 3DO and Atari. Microsoft really needs to kick it into gear in Japan, the PS2 is just dominating both the Gamecube and Xbox in Japan. Nintendo has only sold around 400,000 Gamecubes and Microsoft about 220,000 Xbox?s in Japan so far this year, which is terrible for both systems.

The above is all about money though. Just buy what console you think has the coolest games. All three already have some sick ass games and some great games in the pipeline. I love both my Jaguar and Saturn and would never trade them in for a Playstation, but that is because I love Atari and Sega games. Any of the current consoles by Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo would be a good buy if you love video games. None of the current consoles are going to bomb big time and be out for a really short time, like a Virtual Boy or Neo Geo Pocket.

Todd

2 billion dollars that MS is going to dump is on top of what MS has already lost on each Xbox sold or separately?

By the way, I heard someone told me that Marrowind on Xbox might drop as low as 16 fps, is it true?

Seska
06-03-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by folken001

2 billion dollars that MS is going to dump is on top of what MS has already lost on each Xbox sold or separately?

By the way, I heard someone told me that Marrowind on Xbox might drop as low as 16 fps, is it true?

The Morrowind debate has been going for quite some time. Some people (even on this forum) beleive its not just equal but superior to the PC version, other think it is vice-versa.

I personally am more inclined to believe the game will have a higher quality on PC than Xbox for the simple reason that it doesnt take the PC long to catch up and surpass the the level of deatil that recently released next gen consoles offer.

Guess we have to wait for the Xbox release of Morrowind to settle the debate once and for all.

Havoc2049
06-03-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by folken001

Microsoft said that they are going to spend 2 billion dollars in their press release.

I havn't heard anything about a low frame rate in Morrowind. It's an RPG anyways, anything between 20 and 60 fps would be fine, as long as it is smooth.

Todd

Afro Aura
06-04-2002, 08:18 AM
why do you all think that the XBOX will die, it has the richest company in the WORLD and I'm sure there not going to run away when things get rough, The XBOX is selling well over here in the UK and it's doing great in the US they knew that when they entered this market they would have to go head to head with the Sony's PSX and PS2 and Nintendo.
So it's doing bad in Japan but so did the Megadrive but it sold well over here in the UK and in the States so buisness sense would be one of the points for software houses with the XBOX units sold in the UK and the US
Most of the devoplers have said that the XBOX has given them the chance to create the games they couldn't have done on any other machine, so with the freedom they have with the XBOX you will see some fantastic games ie Panzer Dragoon, Brute Force and so on, Blink could have only been done on the XBOX because it had the hard disk
so I say give the machine a chance it's a baby in the world of consoles but it has the potential to be up there with the best

I love my XBOX and like most of you said we need more games but having seen the titles they are going to release in the coming months it's going to a great day for any XBOX owner
:D