PDA

View Full Version : what is the big deal with halo

drkstr655
05-26-2002, 10:00 PM
i just got halo yesterday because everyone said it was the best fps out their. I soon found out that that was not true. the game was grate but the controles suck. and the multi player was not even close to golden eye. omg they have a gay ass tank that nice. and like 8 wepons wtf. im very disapointed in this game.

fsm
05-27-2002, 12:23 PM
- the AI is so good it changes as the game changes. You can play the game over and over and not get the same game twice.
- The physics are perfectly 'over the top', you can use it both as an advantage and a disadvantage.
- It is the perfect blend of strategy and arcade.
- Graphics and sound are unbelievable
- Want to shoot everything in sight? You can.
- Want to slowly and systematically play through the game? You can.
- Want to just run around in the warthog jumping off of stuff and runnign over aliens? You can. You can make the game what you want.

Goldeneye was great, no doubt, but Halo is equally great at a faster pace, and much more open-ended. Try co-op mode...there is no better fps out there. Perfectly polished and great atomsphere. Maybe it doesn't appeal to Japanese audiences though...but then a again, dating simulators don't appeal to me.

drkstr655
05-27-2002, 01:18 PM
ok the 1 player mode is better than goldeneye because of its um cars and um it has really big levels? but goldeneye had a tank and big levels with like 80 differnt wepons.xbox is a next gen console it should make a game that is 20 times better than an old n64 game. in my mind the only fps that were ever good where pd goldeneye because there was so many changes you could make to multi player to keep it fun(wepon,bots,game mods and im sure that their is more. so why cant xbox a next gen system have a better fps??and the controls i halo still suck

WINDJAMMERS
05-27-2002, 01:51 PM
Co-op is fun, but you have to admit the game is a little over-hyped.

typexig
05-27-2002, 08:17 PM
yeah.. my uncle bought it when it came out. so i went to his house and check what the buzz is about.. at first it was tight.. but like 40mins later i got bored of it....=)

-Xig-

Firewalker
05-28-2002, 10:16 AM
First off halo is the best fps on the market. Only 8 weapons might b a draw back but it allows for much more strategy on deciding what weapons to use when. The tank for instance is much better than goldeneye's in every way: it has a machine gun and the tank gun. It can also have people sit on the sides. If u dont have fun driving the warthog u just have problems. As for multiplayer being nothing and not having options that is bs. U can choose the weapons u use, time length, to have vehicles or not, have 16 players (i dont see ne other system doing that), customize as many game types as u want, it has ctf, king of the hill, dm, tdm, phantom, crazy koth, and many others which allow for one person to have invisibility and other stuff like that. Then for playing the game for only 40 min just allows u to scratch the surface of one of the best games ever made and neway the people that talk bad about it r only hardcore fans of other system that just wants to think the system they have is the best and ne other system's games r crap. To prove that point just go through these forums and neone trashing ne other systems games or the system r just hardcore fans of another system.

Bishamon
05-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by typexig
yeah.. my uncle bought it when it came out. so i went to his house and check what the buzz is about.. at first it was tight.. but like 40mins later i got bored of it....=)

-Xig-

You definately have to play it for longer than 40 mins. I have three friends who also have XBoxs and (of course) bought Halo with them. One of these friends returned the game after playing for maybe 1 hour. The other three of us tried to convince him to purchase it again at least for the online play, which is amazing. He finally bought it again about a month ago, and he hasn't stopped playing since; he's on his third time through the single player game, and my other two friends are each working on finishing it on 'Legendary'.

Oddly enough, I stopped playing the single player after maybe 90 mins because I started playing multiplayer online, and the friend who originally returned the game because he thought it sucked keeps telling me that it doesn't get really good until right after the section I am on. ;)

WINDJAMMERS
05-28-2002, 03:04 PM
I'll admit it is a good game, but please don't tell me no one agrees that Halo is overhyped.

typexig
05-28-2002, 03:26 PM
i played HALO yesterday at my friend's house.. my second time playing it..=) we played that 2player team thingy.. we probably played it for a couple of hours.. we got up to that snow level...but it still didnt change my mind of liking the game..the only reason why i played it was because that was his only game for the thing called Xbox..the only thing i like bout the game is when youre playing that 2player team thingy and you hit your partner from the back with your gun...he didnt even though what hit him...=)..im not dissing HALO. Its a good game and all, and it deserve to be the first best game for the thing called Xbox, but its just not my type...everyone is not going to like this game, same with RPGs, not everyone loves random battles..so please dont hate me for not liking this game...i come in peace...=)

-Xig-

Bishamon
05-28-2002, 03:30 PM
True; it all depends on what type of game you like. If someone enjoys FPS games, Halo is the best there is, bar none. However, for someone who doesn't like FPS games, they may be impressed with the pretty graphics in Halo, but that's about it.

typexig
05-28-2002, 03:35 PM
True, true..i was impressed with the graphics of HALO when i first saw it...=)

-Xig-

drkstr655
05-28-2002, 06:58 PM
OK I love fps there my faviort kind of game but halo is not the best not even close. Perfect dark is the best if i had to pick one not because of the grafics but because it was a great game. it has every thing that halo has and more (besides the cars) but there is like over 150 wepons in pd and eight in halo there is also a co-op and counter-op. halo only has co-op. and the controll in halo suck.

Bishamon
05-29-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by drkstr655
OK I love fps there my faviort kind of game but halo is not the best not even close. Perfect dark is the best if i had to pick one not because of the grafics but because it was a great game. it has every thing that halo has and more (besides the cars) but there is like over 150 wepons in pd and eight in halo there is also a co-op and counter-op. halo only has co-op. and the controll in halo suck.

Well, you're welcome to your opinion, but Perfect Dark doesn't even come close to Half-Life, which was considered by most to be the best FPS prior to Halo hitting the scene.

There is no doubt that the controls do take getting used to, but after coming to grips with them, I find them more intuitive than a keyboard/mouse layout.

drkstr655
05-29-2002, 09:07 PM
i have never played half life but i hear it is a good game. but to say that pd dose not even come close to halo?? what dose halo have pd dosen't??

WINDJAMMERS
05-30-2002, 01:27 PM
Obviously they haven't played Perfect Dark.

Bishamon
05-30-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by WINDJAMMERS
Obviously they haven't played Perfect Dark.

Perfect Dark is a decent FPS, don't get me wrong, but it's more of an update to GoldenEye (which was amazing in its day), the multiplayer is almost unplayable with 4 players and bots due to slowdown, and I just couldn't get 'into' the storyline in the way that Halo sucks me in.

The single player game in Halo is absolutly incredible, and as for multiplayer, nothing beats a 3 vs. 3 online CTF game with all vehicles and no slowdown. Woohoo! :D

Firewalker
05-30-2002, 03:09 PM
multiplayer is fun, the linking of xboxes cannot b beat. I have played halo 4 times w/ 8 people linking xboxes. There is no slow down even w/ vehicles. Some of the best multiplayer around. I plan on linkin 3 xboxes this summer or maybe 4. Halo 8vs8 would just b crazy. When i do i will b sure to post if it ran smooth.

Bishamon
05-30-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Firewalker
multiplayer is fun, the linking of xboxes cannot b beat. I have played halo 4 times w/ 8 people linking xboxes. There is no slow down even w/ vehicles. Some of the best multiplayer around. I plan on linkin 3 xboxes this summer or maybe 4. Halo 8vs8 would just b crazy. When i do i will b sure to post if it ran smooth.

Have you played it online using GameSpy Tunnel? I've had a 4 vs. 4 game before that wasn't laggy, but when there are 3-4 people on one of the consoles it can be problematic. 3 vs. 3 (6 player) games can be played with little or no lag quite frequently. It will be interesting to see how the XBox Live network improves things; Unreal Championship is supposed to support 24 players simultaneously (with voice communication, even)!

Firewalker
05-30-2002, 03:59 PM
never tried it. i do have a cable connection but it is over a wireless network so the modem isnt close enough to my xbox so i cant play over the net.

drkstr655
05-30-2002, 09:47 PM
pd had no lag what r u talking about and the story is better than going to a halo shaped planet to kill alines

Havoc2049
05-30-2002, 10:52 PM
i just got halo yesterday because everyone said it was the best fps out their. I soon found out that that was not true. the game was grate but the controles suck. and the multi player was not even close to golden eye. omg they have a gay ass tank that nice. and like 8 wepons wtf. im very disapointed in this game.

Dude, I can see that maybe you personally do not like Halo, but don?t go around flaming a game that 95% of the people out there say is a kick ass game. It just makes you look like a fool. I personally don?t like the Mario games, but I would never go into some Nintendo message board and say that the Mario games suck. I?m intelligent enough to see the appeal in the Mario games and why millions of people around the world love the games, they are just not my cup of tea.

Almost all the major video game magazines and web sites out there say that Halo is a great game and one of the best FPS ever made. They all rave about how great the control is, especially for a console FPS. Halo was voted by the industry as the game of the year and has sold around 1.5 million copies and climbing. Halo has graphics, control, 16 player multi-player, AI, depth and a storyline that 007 and Perfect Dark can?t even touch. You mention of the lack of weapons in Halo. Halo has 7 handheld weapons, two types of grenades, a jeep with a gatling gun, a tank with a machine gun and main cannon, an alien hovercraft with lasers, a fixed alien rapid fire heavy laser gun and a flying alien craft that you can jump in that has a photon type torpedo and lasers.
Halo also has a tun of multiplayer options. Check out Bungie?s web site and you will see that Halo has a huge following of fans all across the world.

Todd

Afro Aura
06-06-2002, 02:57 PM
I love HALO, I've always stayed away for FPS as I thought they were so dull, I hated Quake, Doom, Timeslitters etc etc but when I got hold of Halo which I first played at the Xperience it had everything I wanted for a FPS smart AI on friend and foe, cooperarative mode, great muliplayer with the link and a decent story
I'm glad there are only 8 weapons in the game as someone has said earlier this give you the choice of which weapon to carry so theres some stratery in there too

Afro Aura
06-06-2002, 03:01 PM
pd had no lag what r u talking about and the story is better than going to a halo shaped planet to kill alines
err...have you played the game yet?
it's got nothing to do with killing aliens it's what the aliens and you are looking for

TangTALKSxTGC
06-13-2002, 04:41 PM
The only real reason to me that this is game is the best FPS since Goldeneye, is because of the system link. Goldeneye had a great multiplayer, but waiting for your turn because only 4 people could play at a time was annoying. But with the system link 16 people at once is just killing bliss.

Vash
06-14-2002, 07:48 AM
the absolute best part about halo has to be the vechiles and the multi play ... the phsyics in this game is uncanny ... something PC fps's have barely touched ...

Bigg Russ
07-10-2002, 03:46 AM
Everyone's different. Halo has actually turned me on to FPS's. I mean, sure I've played GoldenEye and Half-Life (PC) but I was never "into" a FPS like I am with Halo. Quake, Unreal, Doom.... none of those "big" FPS ever made me WANT more FPS's.

Havoc2049
07-10-2002, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Bigg Russ
Everyone's different. Halo has actually turned me on to FPS's. I mean, sure I've played GoldenEye and Half-Life (PC) but I was never "into" a FPS like I am with Halo. Quake, Unreal, Doom.... none of those "big" FPS ever made me WANT more FPS's.

Wolfenstien 3-D Spear of Destiny turned me onto FPS. I've since played Wolfenstien 3-D, Doom, Doom II, Alien vs Predator, Half- Life, Marathon 2(Bungie), Quake III, Rainbow Six and now Halo. Halo might be the best of the bunch. I've finished it three times and have logged in countless hours with multiplayer. I'm really looking forward to Unreal Championship and then Doom III and Halo 2.

Todd

Kid0_oIcarus
07-11-2002, 04:20 AM
Halo looks cool, but I'll keep waiting for the PC version that will never come.

This thing was at one point supposed to kick it vs. Tribes2.

I remember hating it since way back then.

Looks cool though.

Heard it's over-hyped.

:spin smil

Havoc2049
07-12-2002, 05:54 AM
Ya, mum is the word on the PC and Mac versions of Halo. Since it will end up selling around 2 million+ copies on the Xbox, maybe Microsoft will just keep it an Xbox exclusive now.

What I want is an extra multi-player level distributed on the Official Xbox Magazine disk. A swamp/jungle like in 343 Guilty Spark would be sick.

Todd

b0b
07-14-2002, 10:52 PM
everyone should shut up, halo is a great FPS if you have a problem with the controller style then change it any one that has played Goldeneye and PD like I have not to mention Quake 1,2,3 Half-Life and so on. if you don't like Halo to bad for you, you probaly suck as for the rest of us that are lil girls it's a great game :) have a nice day

.... oh ya... Perfect Dark Zero is going to be on every system, I'll be playing it on Xbox Live my user name will be b0b see you suckers online

b0b
07-14-2002, 10:57 PM
AtariX good idea, I think they should just have the whole online compotent for halo on the OXM disc then we wouldn't have to buy the same game twice for the online part.

the PC halo was going to be alot different then the Xbox halo, Halo Online is what the PC version was going to be, ,and since there working on it for Xbox no it will never be on the computer, sad for computer owners but good news for Xbox

Havoc2049
07-15-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by b0b
everyone should shut up, halo is a great FPS if you have a problem with the controller style then change it any one that has played Goldeneye and PD like I have not to mention Quake 1,2,3 Half-Life and so on. if you don't like Halo to bad for you, you probaly suck as for the rest of us that are lil girls it's a great game :) have a nice day

.... oh ya... Perfect Dark Zero is going to be on every system, I'll be playing it on Xbox Live my user name will be b0b see you suckers online

LOL...the trash talkin' has started. Reminds me of the olde' Dreamcast days, where the trash talkin' in the message boards and chat rooms would be taken onto the virtual battlefield and then you would see who the real gamers were. My sorry ass needs to get broadband! You can bet that I'll have broadband before the launch of Xbox Live. All you foolios will be screaming out my name in agony on Unreal Tournament...."Major Havoc, you killed me agian!!!!" :D

Havoc2049
07-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by AtariX
Ya, mum is the word on the PC and Mac versions of Halo. Since it will end up selling around 2 million+ copies on the Xbox, maybe Microsoft will just keep it an Xbox exclusive now.

What I want is an extra multi-player level distributed on the Official Xbox Magazine disk. A swamp/jungle like in 343 Guilty Spark would be sick.

Todd

Microsoft just announced that Halo will be released on the PC and Mac next summer, 2k3. Bungie will be hard at work on Halo 2, so Valve will do the PC conversion and Microsoft will release it. Another company will handle both the development and publishing of Halo for the Mac.

b0b
07-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Hey my trash talking is not that of a rapid fan boy but a hard ass fps fantatic :) and that's a completely different type of trash, Halo for the PC & Mac will be like Halo Online so it's good to see they'll finaly get it, the OXM had a hint in there about games that have been already release might have there online support added through the OXM disc like the new costumes in DOA3, I personaly hope this is targeted toward halo as my game got broken once already and i'm not to keen on buying halo 3 times over to play it online, if they did add online to halo through OXM disc then they'd have an installed base of over a million halo players that could get Xbox live with no game and go online with Halo the first day. that would be the killer app out of the gates for Xbox Live

Bishamon
07-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by b0b
Hey my trash talking is not that of a rapid fan boy but a hard ass fps fantatic :) and that's a completely different type of trash, Halo for the PC & Mac will be like Halo Online so it's good to see they'll finaly get it, the OXM had a hint in there about games that have been already release might have there online support added through the OXM disc like the new costumes in DOA3, I personaly hope this is targeted toward halo as my game got broken once already and i'm not to keen on buying halo 3 times over to play it online, if they did add online to halo through OXM disc then they'd have an installed base of over a million halo players that could get Xbox live with no game and go online with Halo the first day. that would be the killer app out of the gates for Xbox Live

I don't know about you, but I'm already playing Halo online, and have been for some time. :D

Kid0_oIcarus
07-16-2002, 07:37 PM
So.. Halo is finally coming out for the PC.. will it still be worth it by then?

That's all the details that have been released, right? I thought Valve said they were going to make changes to make PC Halo the game it should've been?

I could always be wrong tho..

Bishamon
07-16-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
So.. Halo is finally coming out for the PC.. will it still be worth it by then?

That's all the details that have been released, right? I thought Valve said they were going to make changes to make PC Halo the game it should've been?

I could always be wrong tho..

Actually, the PC version of Halo was practically finished when they dropped it to work on the XBox version, which they added MANY features to, especially graphically. Apparently, it is much more than the PC version was, according to Bungie. If they plan to release the PC version next year, they will have to do a lot of work to get it up to what the XBox version already is.

b0b
07-16-2002, 09:41 PM
Unfortunatly Bishamon I have no Hub otherwise I'd be playing along side you, and I was reading previews from 2000 about halo and it was supposed to be a massively multiplayer war game where you we're either on the humans side or you played as memebers of the convient like a huge war on halo, all the things they did for halo Xbox was to enchance the single player experiance as it was orginaly going to be a huge war fps, this is what I believe the PC version will be like unless the PC version there releasing now is just a ported version of the Xbox game in that case the orignal concept for Halo I would have to assume is going to be Xbox Live Halo Online. do a search on google for "Halo PC" and look for previews in 2000 it'll show you exactly what they we're intending Halo to be.

Havoc2049
07-17-2002, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by b0b
Unfortunatly Bishamon I have no Hub otherwise I'd be playing along side you, and I was reading previews from 2000 about halo and it was supposed to be a massively multiplayer war game where you we're either on the humans side or you played as memebers of the convient like a huge war on halo, all the things they did for halo Xbox was to enchance the single player experiance as it was orginaly going to be a huge war fps, this is what I believe the PC version will be like unless the PC version there releasing now is just a ported version of the Xbox game in that case the orignal concept for Halo I would have to assume is going to be Xbox Live Halo Online. do a search on google for "Halo PC" and look for previews in 2000 it'll show you exactly what they we're intending Halo to be.

Ya, I know what you are talking about, Bob. Halo was originally going to be a RTS game with some FPS elements in it, kind of like a cross between Marathon and Myth. Bungie canned the RTS stuff a long time ago and went with a strait up FPS. I don't think the RTS element made it too far in developement, if it even made it past the planing stages. All the stuff shown to the public at Mac World, GDC and E3 in 2k0 and 2k1, just showed a FPS. I'm sure Bungie and Microsoft will make sure the PC version of Halo remains faithfull to the Xbox version, except all the multi-player stuff.

Bishamon
07-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by b0b

Oh, I remember what Halo was supposed to be quite well, but I am more than pleased with the end result. Considered by most to be the best FPS ever, I don't think it's disappointing in any way. Also, if you remember the Halo issue of NextGen magazine, Bungie discussed where they were on the PC version, and what they did to improve the XBox version, both graphically and gameplay-wise. It appears as though the direction Halo was taking changed long before it became an XBox title.

b0b
07-23-2002, 10:51 PM
we'll I'm sure the PC/Mac version will have addons more levels for multiplayer but beyond that I dont see anything new getting added, Bungie's hard at work on Xbox Halo Online as they should be Xbox Live isn't that far away now.