PDA

View Full Version : Tekken 4 [ NTSC | J ]

Project NuFu
04-18-2002, 11:46 AM
After waiting for months for the unveiling of Tekken4 for arcade last summer (2001), I left very disappointed once I got my sweaty hands on the joysticks of my local arcade's Tekken4 machine. The changes to the Directional movement, the lack of new character / fighting styles, and the abuse of wall damage.

8 MONTHS LATER...

After a sucessful eBay Dutch auction, I get the import version of Tekken4 from a seller in Hong Kong for $50. Seeing as that is a fair price for a New Game, I wait for it's arrival in the mail as I read the online reviews. The talk is not very positive from the Tekken players as they find even more disapointments with very few extras and average quaility endings (compare to previous Namco CG endings).

However, once my copy arrives, and go straight to TIME ATTACK and selected Random. After a few matches, I find myself getting back into the swing of things, and even enjoying the new Tekken feel. While it's not the old school Tekken of past, it serves as an entertaining game with just a few glitches here and there. I' continue to use Random, forcing myself to learn everyone and their new way of fighting (moves). I have seen the endings on a friend's copy and so I know that they are concider alright, but not the "wow" factor of previous Tekken games, so I am ignoring the Story Mode for now. Other than that, I have enjoyed playing the TIME ATTACK, TEAM BATTLE, VS MODE, SURVIAL, and even the crazy FORCE MODE.

All in all, Tekken4 is a game that must be played using perfect joysticks, or on a Dual Shock 2.

fourfour44
04-18-2002, 04:50 PM
well, I've never been impressed with any Tekken game, and this one as well

when I can easily win against "experienced" players by just random button mashing, there is something wrong with the game

I don't play games that rely on randomness like that as well as boring characters and bad control

on a recent visit to a friend of mine's place, we only had a PSX and a bunch of games he was borrowing from his brother, so we played a few matches of Tekken 3, supposedly he was a "master" who knows all the "moves" but for some reason couldn't win a match against me, who has no idea how to perform any of the "moves" or any of the details of the game

I just don't see how a button mashing fighting game can be any fun or enjoyable

dvdjedi
04-18-2002, 04:56 PM
T4 looks nice & plays well but for me, the lack of the Tag feature from TTT really disappointed me. I'll probably pass on the home version since I have Virtua Fighter 4 & Tekken Tag on PS2 and DOA3 on Xbox to satiate my fighting game needs.

chocotek
04-18-2002, 05:50 PM
i havent played it yet..ive never been a huge tekken fan either...I'll prolly only play this one once my friend whose a tekken freak gets it and makes me play with him...then when i do play ill just button mash

Iori
04-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by dvdjedi
T4 looks nice & plays well but for me, the lack of the Tag feature from TTT really disappointed me. I'll probably pass on the home version since I have Virtua Fighter 4 & Tekken Tag on PS2 and DOA3 on Xbox to satiate my fighting game needs.

I think the next Tekken game Namco to bring out will be Tekken Tag 2, or maybe even Tekken Team Battle like the 3 VS 3 in VF3tb.

typexig
04-19-2002, 02:29 AM
i love the Tekken series. i think its the best fighting game out there. So yeah, ama buy Tekken4 fo sho...

Tyron
04-20-2002, 09:00 AM
It's the best fighting game for now (it looks better than DoA 3!)...
vf4 sucks...

devie
04-20-2002, 09:55 AM
Well I played it in a shop, and I have to say that it seemed a bit similar to Tekken 3. Don't get me wrong, I loved Tekken 3, but I thought the reason why Tekken was so good is becasue it was always re-inventing itself. OK, so it does seem a bit more realistic, with more emphasis on side-steppign and blocking but apart from that there's not alot to see. I only played the arcade mode, and I was disappointed to find that my favourite character (Hwoarang) seemed to have lost all his speed. I think this is dew to Namco having concentrated too much and graphics and making it seem real than getting a good balance. I suppose I'll have to play it for a bit more to get used to it, and liking it. When I got Tekken 3, I was disappointed at first because I thought it was a tad too easy, but then I played it for a bit more and really got into it. It's one of those games that grows on you.

Like Radiohead.

Pexi
04-20-2002, 10:11 PM
NOT INTERESTED!
T4 suxor:p

VF4 roxor.PERIOD

Bleh!
04-21-2002, 10:12 PM
I got t4 and it sucks bad. Im taking it back where I got it tommorow for something else. its graphics look like crap compared to DOA3, so i don't know what you're smoking kid (doa3 even looks better than Tekken 4 in the arcade). T4 also plays all sluggish and boring! i hate it!!!!!!!

japan know a good fighting game, i respect them for that. it's funny that t4 comes out and sells 171,000 on a console with a userbase of millions, and yet DOA3 sells 100,00 on a console with 190,000 sold... it says alot.

teepo
04-22-2002, 03:45 PM
100,000 of those were hardcore gamers who bought the xbox just to play doa3. now that says alot!

Pikachu
04-22-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Bleh!
I got t4 and it sucks bad. Im taking it back where I got it tommorow for something else. its graphics look like crap compared to DOA3, so i don't know what you're smoking kid (doa3 even looks better than Tekken 4 in the arcade). T4 also plays all sluggish and boring! i hate it!!!!!!!

japan know a good fighting game, i respect them for that. it's funny that t4 comes out and sells 171,000 on a console with a userbase of millions, and yet DOA3 sells 100,00 on a console with 190,000 sold... it says alot.

Have you seen how many people tossed out DOA3 as used game? There are whole pales of them in game shops and it keeps stacking up, the game is not even released for half a year!

gopheraaron
04-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Tekken is a horrible game.