PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur II Worth importing?

discomfort wings
04-09-2003, 11:36 PM
I just want to know if Soul Calibur II is worth importing $65 and buying a freeloader($20).

I never played Soul Calibur before and don't really play fighting games except guilty gear.

Was wondering if its worth the extra bucks to play months ahead of US verison. How does the language barrier effect the overall experience?

I heard that there was some memory card problem regarding US cube playing JAP games with freeloader.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Kojiro Hyuga
04-10-2003, 01:27 AM
If you're not a Harcore fan of the series, and have no 3d Fighter yet, then I suggest you first buy VF4. Don't get me wrong, Soul Calibur 2 is a great game, but if you're not such a fan of fighting games i don't believe its worth 85 $. However, seing that you're into Guilty Gear, you probably like weapon based fighters, and I must say that Soulk Calibur 2 is the best Weapon based fighter in the market. Since I like more my "bare Handed Kung-Fu", I suggest you wait for domestic release and start by buying VF.

You will not miss much of the game if you import it tough. Only the storyline of the characters and some mission objectives that you can complete with a ring out easily...

Alucard
04-10-2003, 04:03 AM
I prefered VF4 of the 3D fighters till I played Soul Calibur 2. I was a huge fan of the first one but the second one is just lovely to play. Made my appreciation of VF4 drop some since the feel of that game was never exactly right to begin with. I wouldn't import though. Wait a couple months or whatever the period is before it comes to your country. Shouldn't be too long. And having it in english will definately help in some instances of the game.

XzenoGear
04-10-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by snocat
I just want to know if Soul Calibur II is worth importing $65 and buying a freeloader($20).

I never played Soul Calibur before and don't really play fighting games except guilty gear.

Was wondering if its worth the extra bucks to play months ahead of US verison. How does the language barrier effect the overall experience?

I heard that there was some memory card problem regarding US cube playing JAP games with freeloader.

Anyone?

Thanks.

You can buy a copy of Jap version of SC2 & freeloader for $80 from Lik-Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=52&products_id=2929&)

highlandcattle
04-10-2003, 12:59 PM
I suggest you wait for domestic release,You simply wont hassle with disc swapping and and the release is just a few months off.I've just played the game at my local import shop and it was great.
Keep the extra cash you would spend on importing it and withit an arcade stick

discomfort wings
04-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the tips, how is the control using cube's gamepad? Does soul calibur use 6 button like street fighter? Maybe I'll take highlandcattle's advice and wait for domestic release and get a arcade stick with the extra buck.

But if the control on cube works good for soul calibur, I don't know, I might just import it cuz there is nothing good out for cube until august.

Thanks,

Kojiro Hyuga
04-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Nothing Beats an Arcade stick... Go for it!

Hemmorrhoid
04-10-2003, 02:05 PM
You can buy a copy of Jap version of SC2 & freeloader for $80 from Lik-Sang

But Lik- Sang charges ridiculously much shipping. Expect another 20+bucks.

100 bucks in all, not worth it IMO.

Renegade X
04-10-2003, 02:33 PM
The only way I'd import any game is if I knew kanji... and I mean know it well enough to write understandable sentenses because other wise your spoiling a game with out even knowing whats going on.... just wait till it comes out in a language you understand.

Hemmorrhoid
04-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Same here, I want to understand the stuff, and since SC2 is supposebly very text/story heavy which I heard is of great value to the games fun, ill wait till August.

BTW is there an official Europe date yet?

Renegade X
04-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Hemmorrhoid
Same here, I want to understand the stuff, and since SC2 is supposebly very text/story heavy which I heard is of great value to the games fun, ill wait till August.

BTW is there an official Europe date yet?

If I ever get the time I'd love to learn kanji:D that and coversational Japanese, I watch a lot of anime so I figured it would be good to try and watch a entire 26 episode series with out subtitles.

As for the European date... I don't know really... I'd imagine it would be there by the holiday season, or at least that would be the smart thing.

ATMA
04-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Hemmorrhoid
But Lik- Sang charges ridiculously much shipping. Expect another 20+bucks.

100 bucks in all, not worth it IMO.

Naha! Lik-Sang use Global priority mail now(or it's an option), wich means you can get a shipped item for about $6-$11 and you won't get import taxes on your items..unlike Fedex or UPS. That's how I import my games from therage and I don't have to pay as much as the people do here for Pal games or Ntsc games!

Global priority mail don't leave home without! :D

European date should be somewhere around September.

discomfort wings
04-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Lucky there is a import game store next to me. Only gotta pay $65 Soul Calibur 2 and $20 for freeloader.
Purchase locally and maybe i can talk them into waving the tax off. :P

the guy call me and said next shipment would arrive tomorrow, still pondering if i should get import or not......

ATMA
04-11-2003, 10:46 AM
SC II will be release around 18 of September in Europe, for the Ps2 and Xbox ..there's no word on the Cube version yet, but perhaps Nin got a deal with Namco to release it a few days before the ps2/xbox versions!

MaJiN-ChRiS
04-11-2003, 01:05 PM
U are going to pay $65 and $20 freeloader?

Man you are going to get robbed?

got to play.com and u can get Freeloader for ?12

and go to DVDBOXOFFICE.com and i am sure u can get Soul Calibur 2 for a cheaper price than that m8!

discomfort wings
04-11-2003, 01:44 PM
But consider its an import and there is no shipping. I hate waiting for packages, something always goes wrong. Plus i have work on weekdays...and the cost of shipping would justify getting it locally.

Appsaa
04-11-2003, 04:58 PM
PWA HA HA HA
I preordered that **** from videogamedepot.. I only paid $55 and I got a free 2 day airmail