PDA

View Full Version : No remakes from Square?!

folken001
05-25-2002, 06:04 PM
According to the interview RPGfan.com had with Square during E3, Square stated that remakes of FF7-9 were pure rumor.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2002/1501.html

That is a big disappointment for me. I remembered clearly it was Square who announced that it would release the remakes FF7-9 along with the announcement of two different version of FFX. (Normal standard version and the HDTV, 5.1 surround sound which was later canceled) How can Square now say it was only a rumor?

Tell me it is not true!?

Overlord
05-25-2002, 06:24 PM
Last time I heard, Square put the remakes on a backburner. They just didn't have enough money after the movie. But they did talk about it. But I don't think that they said it was ever official. If it was at E3, maybe it was only Square US talknig. Square in Japan might have other plans.

folken001
05-25-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Overlord
Last time I heard, Square put the remakes on a backburner. They just didn't have enough money after the movie. But they did talk about it. But I don't think that they said it was ever official. If it was at E3, maybe it was only Square US talknig. Square in Japan might have other plans.

Hopefully, what you said is true. I am dying to play those remakes. I have been waiting for them since more than 1 year ago.

Black Sugar
05-25-2002, 06:37 PM
Truthfully, I hope Square doesn't make any remake. Let them be and focus on the future not on the past.

I feel that this is becoming much of a trend with no end to this. I can understand port or remix games on GBA such as Chrono Trigger or FFT but aside this exception , they should not waist money on games who was released less then 10 yrs ago.

folken001
05-25-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
Truthfully, I hope Square doesn't make any remake. Let them be and focus on the future not on the past.

I feel that this is becoming much of a trend with no end to this. I can understand port or remix games on GBA such as Chrono Trigger or FFT but aside this exception , they should not waist money on games who was released less then 10 yrs ago.

To me, FF7 is cloest to the perfection that any RPG can be. However, aerith's death really ruin the experience. FF8 and FF9 had their own flaws. As epic such as FF, I hope Square would fix the bugs and problems in the remakes. At least, I hope.....

Bookbagninja
05-25-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by folken001

As epic such as FF, I hope Square would fix the bugs and problems in the remakes. At least, I hope.....

Heck no. The flaws and such made the games what they were. They should just learn from those games and continue making the new ones better and better. That's the best move, in my opinion.

I don't like the idea of remaking all these games to death. Focus on new games and not old news.

Yoshi
05-27-2002, 04:50 PM
FF 7-9 were three of the worst RPGs Square has ever made. Lock them up and throw away the key. Where's my FFT sequel?

typexig
05-27-2002, 09:27 PM
this sucks..=( i was hoping they make a remake of ff7 and ff8.. but did they say anyother game that they'll do a remake of beside of ff series? cuz i really really want Square to remake Einhander..i think that game is one of those games thats really great but people look past it..ohhh... are they still doing those spin-off games for ff series?..=)

-Xig-

Wolf of Mibu
05-29-2002, 10:49 PM
The whole interview is either fabricated or inaccurate. Almost everything they said was BS. Hell they even said FFXI wasnt coming out in the US when Square CONFIRMED that it was...

Wolf of Mibu
05-29-2002, 10:56 PM
The whole interview is either fabricated or inaccurate. Almost everything they said was BS. Hell they even said FFXI wasnt coming out in the US when Square CONFIRMED that it was...

Solid Soul VX
05-30-2002, 02:08 AM
I agree that Square should just focus on the future and not on remakes. I wouldnt mind the remake but i would rather spend my money on new games with a lot more new stuff.

Seska
05-30-2002, 04:21 AM
Remakes, sequels and spinoffs are a clear sign that the videogames industry is becoming as stagnated as Hollywood. I for one am glad Square is ignoring remakes for now. I'd MUCH rather they made a fresh new RPG concept, like they did a few years back with Vagrant. Nobody expected it, and it was great.

Nowadays all the big titles are sequels. FF, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Silent Hill, Resident Evil. Everything is a bloody franchise. HEll, theya re even dragging Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden out of their graves to remake them.

Now dont get me wrong, Ill enjoy these games and play them like any other person, but the kind of glee you get at playing something fresh like Vagrant was at its time, is a rare experience these days. I wish developers would focus on creating new experiences, not just rehashing old ones.

ATMA
05-30-2002, 09:37 AM
Good point there,But remakes are also chances for the next gen of gamers to play these games,But i think they should focus more on new games/new projects!

broken silence
06-02-2002, 06:16 AM
i don't understand why you guys want a remake of FF7-9
all of them were 3D and were great the way they are
what i think that they should remake is FF6(FF3 in the usa)
i would love to see it in 3D with voices
it was the best FF after all wasn't it ?
think about it FF6 in full 3D with voices

Rubeus
06-02-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Seska
Remakes, sequels and spinoffs are a clear sign that the videogames industry is becoming as stagnated as Hollywood. I for one am glad Square is ignoring remakes for now. I'd MUCH rather they made a fresh new RPG concept, like they did a few years back with Vagrant. Nobody expected it, and it was great.

Don't mix up spinoffs and remakes together, they are two totally different things.

Spinoffs are "follow-ups" but remakes are just a clone of the original game, no real enhancements.

Personally I am really looking forward to the Final Fantasy spinoffs, it is such a big waste for Square to leave each installment of FF as it is -- without making any followup on each one. FFX is such a beautiful game, I bet a lot of people are looking forward to sequels of that game.

Spinoffs don't necessary have no unique concepts, it may even bring in surprises because now the developer can focus on specific areas that are proven popular in the original game.

Seska
06-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Rebeus

Don't mix up spinoffs and remakes together, they are two totally different things.

I never did say they were the same thing, but to me they fall under the same category for lack of originality and innovation.

One of the big things about the FF series is that each new instalment was a completely different story, with a slightly tweaked battle system. While lack of originality already shows in creating a series of games with the same base concept (friendship, love, end of the world, similar battle system), now Square is finding a way around having to tweak the battle system in FF too.

As I said, Ill still like FFX and played it to death. It is a very good game, and everyone knows that. However, sequels and spinoffs are not a shining monument to originality and innovation. While we might get a few cool plot twists to enjoy in a world and with characters (of FFX) we all have come to love, the battle system, engine, the gaming experience (as in what you actually PLAY) will be the same.

Which is fine by me, since Ill be the first to pick up the japanese imports when they ship. And Ill certainly enjoy the games.

But it sure as heck ain't original or innovating. Even if we find out that Lulu has a secret fetish for leather, Rikku is in reality Britney Spears' secret little sister and that Tidus' TRUE passion is wearing Vicoria's Secret lingerie, would you call that original? Exploring the depth of the world in a refreshingly new angle from different, previously unexplored points of view?

Call me crazy, but I call that milking the cow. :D

Alkaizer
06-03-2002, 10:17 AM
another sourse
http://korea.hanmir.com/ktj.cgi?url=http://211.216.52.168/data/rulinews/read.php%3fpage%3d1%26num%3d8235%26find%3d%26ftext %3d

too bad :( :(

Tashi Tashi
06-05-2002, 11:45 PM
Final Fantasy 7 is one of the most popular games ever made. With all the remakes coming to GBA, a remake of FF7 would not be a bad idea.

I remember reading Square was either considering remake or definitely had plan for FF7, but after the movie bomb, all those plans were put on hold, indefinitely.

Tashi Tashi
06-05-2002, 11:54 PM
Original games are a risk. Every developer in the world wants their game to develop into a franchise. I agree more original games are needed, but publishers don't like taking the risk on whether a game will be popular enough to sell enough and spawn sequels. Sucks, but popular games are a safe bet, and publishers will always be skiddish about new game concepts.

Black Sugar
06-06-2002, 12:25 PM
true to that.

But I don't think this applie for square Soft much.

FFXI is a major risk to sink even futher. After all, this is a big depature from the FF series

I never heard such thing as a FFVI remake on GBA,
The only thing I heard from them was a remake of Final Fantasy Tactics. That's all.

Rubeus
06-07-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
true to that.

But I don't think this applie for square Soft much.

FFXI is a major risk to sink even futher. After all, this is a big depature from the FF series

I never heard such thing as a FFVI remake on GBA,
The only thing I heard from them was a remake of Final Fantasy Tactics. That's all.

You have to count Square in as a pioneer to console online games, other companies like Nintendo is just sitting there to let the other to dig up a big online market before they jump into it. In some cases I would call that SELFISH, but Square in this case is kind of helping out the entire console market by expanding the online market for everybody!

Black Sugar
06-07-2002, 09:19 AM
This is one way to see it,. I'm more on Nintendo philosophy behind the online market.

This is to premature to focus on online only.

But, somebody, got to start somewhere, right? This is where I must give my respect to Sega, Square and Microsoft.

Vash
06-07-2002, 05:07 PM
I don't want any Remakes on the PS2, maybe one of the other systems (GBA is perfect). All i really want from Sqaure is FF Tactics 2!

Pikachu
06-17-2002, 04:09 PM
Why do people think Final Fantasy Tactics is so great? I've tried the game a few years back, I have stopped playing the game after I got into Vandal Hearts. I think Vandal Hearts is better than this. (Although Vandal Hearts II sucks big time)

Black Sugar
06-17-2002, 05:18 PM
No story in a game didn't even come close to FF Tactics!

I won't even start talking about the music composition in FFT!