PDA

View Full Version : How does Sega decide what platform to develop on?

Bookbagninja
05-24-2002, 07:27 PM
That's what I want to know. What does Sega base which system they'll develop for certain games? I'm not sure why they would bring Crazy Taxi 3 for the X-Box and not the PS2 or GC. And the same goes for Shinobi. Is it so they can focus on the full power of said machine? What do you think?

Overlord
05-24-2002, 07:32 PM
They probably pick the system that they think will sell the game most units. Each system has a differant user base. I don't think hardware has much to do with it.

...There's probably other reasons.

Black Ace
05-24-2002, 07:37 PM
How they determine which system to develop games for is demographic, they made Sonic a Nintendo exclusive because they know that people who loved Mario games will also be fond of Sonic's.

Other times, they make a certain game is because of contracts.

Black Sugar
05-24-2002, 11:16 PM
You guys are good... (Bill and Overlord)
I have nothing else to say dammit....-.-....!

As a side note; Technically speaking, JSRF should have been on PS2. I think more PS2 userswould had bought this game than the X-box players. But since Smilebit made a ontract with Microsoft they didn't have no choice.

Bookbagninja
05-25-2002, 01:19 AM
Dang, I'm gonna have to agree with BB here. You two guys made the most sense. I honestly didn't know what would possess them to go here (GC) and not here (X-Box) and vice versa. Cool points.

Jagt_Mirage
05-25-2002, 02:40 PM
This is what I'm thinking: in general

If its for a younger audience: GC
If it is a type of game that appeals to North American gamer tastes: XBOX
Anything else: PS2

subject to following conditions:

if there is already a strong presence of a competitor on the console its suppose to go on (eg: FFXI for PS2), they may move their product elsewhere

folken001
05-25-2002, 05:18 PM
It appears that SEGA is favoring Xbox the most over PS2 and GC. SEGA was rival of Nintendo first then it's DC went head to head against SONY's PSX/PS2. MS is the only company that has no history of conflicting against SEGA. SEGA probably feels more confortable making games for them.

Regardless, if SEGA dares not bring Phantasy Star or Shining Force to pS2, I will never, EVER touch another SEGA product again. It is not like I was a big fan of SEGA anyway....

Bookbagninja
05-25-2002, 07:40 PM
Doubt that, since Sega's successful Monkey Ball game is doing fine on the GC and Nintendo gave them creative freedom for the next F-Zero.

It's probably more of a user base. All the experimental "fun", "xtreme" game would probably go over to the X-Box and the "dark" ones, Sony.

Black Sugar
05-25-2002, 10:36 PM
The Shining Force series are being developped by Camelot aren't they? Judging by the way Camelot are making games for Nintendo, I expect to see the next chapter of Shining Force on Gamecube first.

Bookbagninja
05-25-2002, 10:52 PM
If your theory is correct, that'll be awesome, cause the GC needs more RPG's and I know a whole smatter of people dying to get their hands on a new installment.

Necro ??
05-26-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by folken001
[B]It appears that SEGA is favoring Xbox the most over PS2 and GC.

Ill have to dissagree with you there.

Sega is makeing 14 games for PS2 this year.
the only one that is close to that is GBA with 13 games,but the GBA is getting mostly ports,or remakes of segas classic games from the days before saturn. ;)

Sega looooves ps2,but sonic team doesnt.Personaly i wish they would have put sonic on ps2 or x-box,Sonic and mario just isnt right and defys all laws of video gameing. :p

Black Sugar
05-26-2002, 10:18 AM
Yuji Naka doesn't like the PS2 hardware because of it's difficult programming systems.

This as been a big debate among game designers last year. Even Mikami-san (creator of DMC) didn't want to do Devil May Cry on the PS2. But Capcom force him to do it anyways.

But I can understand Yuji Naka point of view. With the PS2 limited RAM capabilities, Yuki naka's games wouldn't look that good on the PS2 harware.

We all know that most of his games are using happy happy-joy joy kind of colors (a little bit like Mario games)

Yoshi
05-27-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Necro ??
Sega looooves ps2 I think the correct statement would be Sega wants to make money, and the PS2 has the largest userbase. The PS2 hardware is certainly no ones first choice to program on.

tabris
06-10-2002, 12:20 AM
Smilebit has a lot of experience developing DirectX/Windows games. Hundred Swords for Dreamcast was built on Windows CE and it was easily ported to Windows. They have a Windows J.League soccer game coming out. From their website, it looks like their only PS2 game is J.League probably because of its popularity and who knows how good that port would be. They've been very successful with all their XBox releases. I doubt we'll see very many GC games from them. Their focus seems to be XBox.

Sonic Team is a natural fit for the GameCube. The Sonic games, Nights, Chu Chu Rocket, etc. would probably sell big on the GC. PSO has broad appeal to all ages across all platforms, but it's obvious where they're putting their focus on for now. I don't expect the XBox version to be all that different from the GC version. PSO on GC is something Sega alone is pushing it seems. In the news, Nintendo doesn't sound totally gung ho for online gaming.

AM2 is totally comfortable going cross-platform, but the kind of games for each platform are varied. The PS2 are getting a port of Ferrari F355 Challenge (racing game) and Aerodancing 4 (fighter jet sim) while GC gets Beach Spikers (an over-the-top vollyball game)! Microsoft has Shenmue 2, but as for other XBox games from AM2 I haven't heard. I have a feeling that after the success of Virtua Fighter 4 and the experience gained from working with the PS2 hardware, we may see some big things from them. Also to have Yu Suzuki making games for the PS2 would make Sony very happy.

Wow Entertaiment worked on Vampire Night (PS2) with Namco. But for the coming months, it's mostly XBox with SegaGT 2002 and House of the Dead 3. They also have Pinball of the Dead for GBA. It looks like they're open to doing cross platform stuff. Wait and see I say. Why HoD3 is not going to the PS2 esp. after making Vampire Night, I have no idea.

Well, that's my opinion for four of the Sega teams (or companies or whatever they are since they're semi-independent of Sega except for AM2) based on observation of their release schedule/announcement list. I haven't gotten around to looking at the others like Sega Rosso and Hitmaker. Naturally sales and contracts will somewhat dictate what platform they develop on, but what I love about Sega is they sometimes do whatever the hell they want even if it may not really sell big (but the games are interesting and fun). I haven't gone through the GameJam videos/announcements again on Sega's site so I'm probably missing a lot. I'm also missing all the recent announcements like Shinobi.

Pikachu
06-17-2002, 03:14 PM
From what I see, I think Sega's internal teams have a passion on both Gamecube and Xbox, a lot of sequels and new games are being made for the two systems, very little is coming to PS2.

If you want examples, here they are:

VF quest
Altered Beast
Panzer Dragoon Orta
House of Dead 3
Crazy Taxi 3
Super Monkeyball 2
Sonic Adventure 3
Shenmue 2, 3
VF4 Evolution
Skies of arcadia
Phantasy Star online

Jagt_Mirage
06-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Heh.. let me dissect your list here

VF quest - you've gotta be kidding me, some kiddie VF adventure game? the GC can keep it AFAIC

Altered Beast - Bleh! the exact same old game as the Mega Drive on the GBA.. big deal

Panzer Dragoon Orta - This is a legitamate big title

House of Dead 3 - A lightgun game on a console with no lightgun games, whereas the PS2 has 6. I don't know what Sega's thinking.

Crazy Taxi 3 - This is a legitamate big title

Super Monkeyball 2 - I won't miss this for the GC

Sonic Adventure 3 - Another kids game I won't miss for the GC

Shenmue 2, 3 - When the heck was 3 announced ?

VF4 Evolution - This isn't announced for any console, its arcade only, nice try

Skies of arcadia - Despite rumors to the contrary. This game is still coming out for PS2

Phantasy Star online - The only reason why they don't put this on PS2 is cause they know they'll get their ass kicked by FFXI

so from what I see.. you've got 5 GC titles, 1 GBA, and 4 Xbox

Now let see what's coming out for PS2

Aero Dancing 4
Shinobi
Gungrave
Sakura Taisen
Virtua Cop Rebirth
Grand Heat
Power Smash

and these aren't even 1/2 the stuff on the official release list. Still think Sega is not supporting PS2?

wunko
06-18-2002, 02:38 PM
House of the Dead 3 should be on PS2 like Vampire Night since yes, PS2 has the Guncon2 already and already many lightgun games were on PS1 and coming for PS2.

I heard somewhere that Microsoft doesn't really want to support special controllers for XB, so that is why there's that debate over if HOTD3 will have a lightgun or not since it's on XB. If they put it on PS2, they'll have a lightgun for sure and it'll attract a lot of attention.

Rubeus
06-18-2002, 11:22 PM
That list is not even complete, Sega has a lot more games for Xbox, Cube and GBA, in addition to the ones Pikachu mentioned:

To be released:
Beach Spiker (Cube)
FZero
Sega GT 2002 (Xbox)
ToeJam & Earl III: All Funked Up
Phantasy Star Collection (GBA)
Sega Smash Pack
Shining Soul
The Pinball of the Dead
Let's make J.League Soccer Club

Already released:
World Series baseball
Gun Valkyrie
Jet Set Radio Future
Home run King
Virtua striker 3
Sega Soccer slam
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Sonic Advance
Puyo Puyo Advance
Chu Chu Rocket
Greatest Nine
Columns Crown

By the way, Grand Heat and Power Smash 2 are coming to multiple platforms, they are not PS2 exclusive, Shinobi is also coming to GBA so it doesn't count. Sakura Taisen would never make it over here either.

Originally posted by Jagt_Mirage
Heh.. let me dissect your list here

so from what I see.. you've got 5 GC titles, 1 GBA, and 4 Xbox

Now let see what's coming out for PS2

Aero Dancing 4
Shinobi
Gungrave
Sakura Taisen
Virtua Cop Rebirth
Grand Heat
Power Smash

and these aren't even 1/2 the stuff on the official release list. Still think Sega is not supporting PS2?

Jagt_Mirage
06-19-2002, 12:29 PM
err.. the Shinobi on the GBA is nothing like the PS2 game, which is a completely different game. So what Sakura Taisen is an import. Last time I checked magicbox is an import game website, so I assume most of the people that post here knows and plays import games, I certainly do. As for the upcoming release list, check www.sega.jp/game. Last I checked there are 11 titles there each for the Xbox ,GC, and GBA release list, and 26 titles on the PS2 release list. So you tell me if they're skimping PS2.

Black Sugar
06-19-2002, 02:51 PM
here we go, a new PS2 fanatic....

hootie17
06-19-2002, 03:30 PM
either what would be best for the game, or who makes the biggest offer $.

Bookbagninja
06-21-2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
here we go, a new PS2 fanatic....

:)

Iori
06-21-2002, 10:59 AM
I think Electronic Arts / Konami's single game multiple platform strategies (in most cases) is better, this way nobody needs to complain their favorite game is not coming to the system they own.

turkeyboy
06-24-2002, 08:11 PM
M$ does have history with Sega, they helped develop the DC and then left to make their own console when that didn't pan out. They stabbed Sega in the back and then tried to buy them for a mere $3 billion. The only reason Xbox has ANY exclusives is because M$ is paying for their production. Shenmue 2 was stopped for DC in the US so Xbox could have it because M$ paid for it. PDO and CT3 are exclusives because M$ is again paying for them.

So here's how it works out. Sega goes to Xbox when M$ will pay for the game(at least partially). They go to Nintendo for the younger type games and to work out stuff with the Triforce deal(F-Zero and probably some other stuff). They go to Sony for the rest and to GBA for all the old ports and new 2D games of old series(Altered Beasts, Golden Axe, Shining Soul, etc.).