PDA

View Full Version : Sega News: Phantasy Star V: The Alegro Generations and More!

Overlord
05-23-2002, 08:09 PM
Looks like a new Phantasy Star game might land on the PS2! Still just a rumor, but I theres a good chance that this will be confirmed later on.

Source (http://216.71.106.87/news/000347.shtml)

Necro ??
05-24-2002, 05:56 AM
If its from sonic Team i sure it wont be.

The leader of sonic team hates sony hence why you've never seen a sonic team sega product on ps2.

ATMA
05-24-2002, 02:13 PM
If this news gets confirmed I'm gonna be very affraid of SONY (what could they offer to sonic team to make them devolpe PSO V for the ps2) ...Sonic team and Sony is like thunder and lighting ..won't go together ..!!:(
But time will tell !!!
Still i love Sony but i rather see PSO on the Cube than ps2 !!! Same as Shenmue !!!

Overlord
05-24-2002, 06:43 PM
Can someone summarize why those two are enimies? I feel so lost in my own thread.

...Sony does have a lot of money these days.

ATMA
05-24-2002, 06:50 PM
Well i'm not sure but seeing the fact that alot of people blame SONY for the death of the DC,and the fact that they pick microsoft and the big N over PS2 kinda give the idea of that they hate eachother but for real i won't touch this subject with a 70ft pole ,cause i might be totaly wrong about it !!:(
That's why i said i would be really affraid and surprised if all of a sudden a PSO version comes on the ps2 !!!!

Overlord
05-24-2002, 07:04 PM
Not really. Nintendo does make a lot of money of their software, 5 times more than EA. But Sony is still richer. They have other ways to make money(electronics). Nintendo probably has more money to spend on gaming though.

ATMA
05-24-2002, 07:37 PM
So who do you think got more money? Big N,Sony,MS?

Overlord
05-24-2002, 07:49 PM
Heres how I see it. Microsoft is worth the most. Sony has the most money to spend. They put their name on major movies, like Spider-Man. And they're supposed to be making Advance AI robots right now. Nintendo has the most money to spend on games. But things change.

Yoshi
05-27-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Overlord
Not really. Nintendo does make a lot of money of their software, 5 times more than EA. But Sony is still richer. They have other ways to make money(electronics). Nintendo probably has more money to spend on gaming though. Actually, the PlayStation line is the only thing keeping Sony out of the red. Their electronics sales have really dipped over the last five years. That is why so much of their focus is on the PS2/PS3. They need them to stay profitable.

Overlord
05-27-2002, 05:01 PM
In 1998 or 99, 40% of Sony's gross came from the Playstation. And it never went that high again. Sony makes Billions every year. They made 66 billion last year, where as Microsoft only made 25Billion. They also make a lot from the movies. Look how well Spider-Man did.

Black Sugar
05-27-2002, 05:10 PM
Dreamcast dies because of PS2.....lol... where that came from?

Overlord
05-27-2002, 05:14 PM
People balme the death of DC on Sony, because they hyped up the PS2 a lot. And a lot of people passed over the DC, and waited for the PS2.

Black Sugar
05-27-2002, 05:16 PM
PS2 or not sega would die anyways. they didn't even have enough money to advertise Skies of Arcadia and Jet Grind Radio.

Those who waited for the PS2 wasn't Sega fan in the first place.

ATMA
05-28-2002, 10:52 AM
I think SEGA got hit in the worst way to many times without a recovery period in between!!
:(

Iori
05-28-2002, 01:21 PM
If people blame Sony for Dreamcast, why didn't people blame Sega Genesis for the death of NEC's Turbografx-16?

ATMA
05-28-2002, 01:31 PM
I also find the idea of gamers thinking that the PS2 killed the DC ..disturbing!But alot of gamers seems to see it like that!!I think what i said before SEGA got hit to many times in a negative way! i mean they didn't had good advertisements right? And piracy all those things plus the death of that guy who also was very important to SEGA (forgot his name) all those things i think was the reason for the downfall of the DC!!:(

Overlord
05-28-2002, 06:25 PM
I also think it was Piracy. I even argued about it with Pdaimoah for a while. Everyone blames Sony for some reason.

Icarus4578
01-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Where'd you get that title from!? "The Alegro Generations"?? Sega has yet to show a true sequel to PSIV. I want part V so bad!

ATMA
01-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Icarus4578
Where'd you get that title from!? "The Alegro Generations"?? Sega has yet to show a true sequel to PSIV. I want part V so bad!

In Overlords defense he just reported what was said, and as this thread is, this news is also old news, while back in the days it might have seen true or possible or whatever. This is what happens when you revive something old that someone reported that day and try to correct them a few months if not a year later.

New York Feddie
01-05-2004, 01:57 PM
The man's name was Isao Okawa, and he was the one who ran CSK, a company that held a good bit of SEGA's stock at the time. While we're at it, Sony's PS2 was only one of the reasons for the Dreamcast's failure. For whatever reason, Electronic Arts had practically no presence on the console. Also, like some already mentioned, the company had little on its own after some taxing console failures (the reasons for those are for another thread, though). Oh well, at least SEGA isn't totally gone.

Seska
01-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Enough with the old thread revival already. Msot of the stuff that was said a year ago is ahrdly valid today. :p

Icarus4578
01-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Really? But on the subject of Phantasy Star V, I was curious how in the world somebody found that name (if it were true). It's also a wanted RPG sequel and would make sense being put on PS2 alongside the PS remake (speaking of which, Part II is going to rock, if Sega ever decides to release it).

Nem
01-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Hmmm... i dont mean to be a spoiler but that rumor mill is dated as 21st of May 2002! So dont mind it! Even though it might have some thruth to some of it, it cant be trusted since only about 5% of the things written in there came to be!

Icarus4578
01-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Still a curiousity of mine. I'm a PS whore. I want my PSV, I want it in beautiful 2D, and I want it NOW.

GodOfCookery
01-07-2004, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Overlord
In 1998 or 99, 40% of Sony's gross came from the Playstation. And it never went that high again. Sony makes Billions every year. They made 66 billion last year, where as Microsoft only made 25Billion. They also make a lot from the movies. Look how well Spider-Man did.
Well the problem is this 25 billion is all gain (after tax M$ has a tremendous gain-return) and the 66 billion at Sony is not all gain.

ATMA
01-07-2004, 04:43 AM
In Overlord defence (Curse you Icarus4578) facts were different back then as compare to now, while Sony made huge profits last year or the year before, this time things are different. Again this is an old thread that should have stayed dead. No need to quote people and correct them of something that was a fact a year ago. ;)

Icarus4578
01-07-2004, 05:43 AM
Where did you get that title for PSV ATMA? Do you have any info on it?

ATMA
01-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Have you actually read what YOU have resurrected?

First of all: I didn't get this name, the one who CREATED this thread got it. Second if you actually bother to follow the link (wich suprisingly is still alive) you woulda noticed it takes you to an E3 rumor page....RUMOR.....RUMOR. All this wouldn't happend if you haven't resurrected something that is almost 2 years old.And actually read what has been posted.

Icarus4578
01-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Well rumors aren't always false, and seeing as there STILL hasn't been anything shown on it it only makes me more intrigued by the possibility for it. After all, I highly doubt PS2 owners would be complaining if PSV made its way onto the system.

ATMA
01-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Look... the only thing I know of the next Phantasy Star is, that it would be offline..meaning back to the old roots. I'm still regretting not playing the online version on the Cube. :(

Icarus4578
01-09-2004, 10:33 AM
PSV and Lunar 3 are the two RPGs I want the most right now. Supposedly Lunar 3 will appear this year on either the PS2 or X-Box. My guess: PS2.

Dead Account 01
01-09-2004, 07:13 PM
PSV and Lunar 3 are the two RPGs I want the most right now. Supposedly Lunar 3 will appear this year on either the PS2 or X-Box. My guess: PS2. Yah, tough guess ;) Unless M$ has bought GameArts (or bought some of their games) I'd say it is a safe bet. I'd rather see Grandia 3 from GameArts and Shining Force 4 (apparently there is a new Shining Force GBA game in development) from Sega, though.

Icarus4578
01-10-2004, 04:07 AM
That's just the thing though. It is a tough guess because of how uncertain everybody is. I've heard very very little on the subject and it bothers me. It's supposedly coming out by year's end (Lunar 3 that is). Whenever GameArts shows it, it's going to rock!

Dead Account 01
01-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Whenever GameArts shows it, it's going to rock! Maybe. I really enjoyed Lunar:SSSC, but I don't think of it as a great RPG. "Endearing" and "cute", but the gameplay wasn't that great, IMO.

Icarus4578
01-11-2004, 05:26 AM
Did you play Eternal Blue (either on PSone or Sega CD)?

Vert1
04-09-2004, 02:16 AM
"Dormigaga has promised big news concerning Phantasy Star Online, that will shock us all...The next issue of the magazine doesn't hit Japan for about another month, so we will have to sit in suspense over the next month. Is Sega working on another new Phantasy Star Online? That wouldn't be too shocking, so expect some big news about the series within the next month!"

source:http://gamecubeheaven.tk

Icarus4578
04-09-2004, 02:44 AM
I think I've already heard: PSV (the straight one-player RPG) will be a GC exclusive.

Mainstreme Fan
04-09-2004, 03:26 AM
I thougth sonic team say they would not make anymore PSO games after releasing the last one on the GC?

Nem
04-09-2004, 11:57 AM
hmm... who belives what companies say these days?...

folken001
04-09-2004, 01:38 PM
How is Phantasy Star Online 3 doing anyway? Is it even out yet? I have read that a lot of people are turned off by it because it's mostly a card game.

I think it is more likely for Phantasy Star to be on PS2 than GC. What is the last profitable Sega game on GC? I can't think of one.

I think DC's death was cause by PS2, but it's Sega's own fault. Like GC now, DC was flooded by first party titles Other than Capcom, no one really supported DC. No one that mattered anyway. Namco went slient after Soul Calibur. Konami didn't bother. Square nor Enix cared for DC as well. It's only logical for Sony to "hype" up its own product. It makes no sense for Sony to do any otherwise. So, I don't consider it to be reasonable to blame DC's death on Sony.

ATMA
04-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by folken001
What is the last profitable Sega game on GC? I can't think of one.

How about every game they have brought out on the Cube so far? Monkey Ball was their best selling title or right after VF 4. I think it was their best selling title of this generation (Around 800K, if i'm correct).I'm gonna have to look for it when I have more time. I think DBJAY made a thread about Sega's numbers this generation in the general area.

Alistein
04-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Necro ??
If its from sonic Team i sure it wont be.

The leader of sonic team hates sony hence why you've never seen a sonic team sega product on ps2.
Not true the new astro boy game for the ps2 is being develop by Sonic team and they didn't have to make Sonic heroes for the ps2 but they did

Axe Wielding Nut
04-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Alistein
Not true the new astro boy game for the ps2 is being develop by Sonic team and they didn't have to make Sonic heroes for the ps2 but they did

you just refuted a comment thats 2 years old..:haha:

ATMA
04-09-2004, 03:45 PM
HEH!

This is the second time this thread has been revived. Overlord should come back here and lecture some of you. :D

Alistein
04-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Yes this is dated. I do however find it difficult to believe Sega would be bringing it's pso title to the ps2 most probably goto the xbox since this days Sega are working on all sorts of online technologies which the ps2 lack and only the xbox will be capable of providing any way here is a more recent article from CVG

"SHOCKING" PHANTASY STAR ONLINE ANNOUNCEMENT IMMINENT

Sega set to delight RPG fans with new announcement. Megaton!

14:45 Not so long ago Sega dashed the hopes of Phantasy Star Online afficionados with the disconcerting news that there are no plans for a new PSO game at the moment (it happened here, pilgrim).
Thankfully, it seems Sega was just yanking our chain; the latest issue of Japanese gaming magazine Dorimaga chirrups that there's "a new development in the world of Phantasy Star Online that will shock you".

It's fair to say we're shocked. With C.A.R.D. Revolution still yet to make an appearance in Europe (the title is set to hit the GameCube in June) we've been begging Sega Europe to clue us in as to what this new revelation may be, but to no avail.

Rest assured that the moment we establish just what in the blazes is going on with this new title, you'll be the first to hear.

Steve Colton

Alistein
04-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Sorry never even checked the date.

Vert1
04-09-2004, 05:50 PM
You know I posted this earlier right!?!??!

Sulblazer
04-10-2004, 01:42 AM
DC didn't die because of Sony. DC died because sega exercised poor judgement in timing here in the US. as i understand it, games are still being produced for the DC in japan...so it's not a completely dead system yet. the dreamcast still had some awesome games. i'll always remember that little, square, gray, naomi-based system that could have made a larger splash had it been released a year earlier.

folken001
04-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ATMA
How about every game they have brought out on the Cube so far? Monkey Ball was their best selling title or right after VF 4. I think it was their best selling title of this generation (Around 800K, if i'm correct).I'm gonna have to look for it when I have more time. I think DBJAY made a thread about Sega's numbers this generation in the general area.

Every game? I doubt it. I don't think PSO did well on GC at all. How about that star something and egg game? SOA:legend sure didn't go flying off the shelf. If the monkey ball is the last game you can recall, then Sega really hasn't been selling well on GC recently considering monkey ball TWO came out a while back.

But, lets not single Sega out on this one. A lot of 3rd party games do not sell well on the Cube.

Mainstreme Fan
04-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Every game? I doubt it. I don't think PSO did well on GC at all. How about that star something and egg game? SOA:legend sure didn't go flying off the shelf. If the monkey ball is the last game you can recall, then Sega really hasn't been selling well on GC recently considering monkey ball TWO came out a while back.

But, lets not single Sega out on this one. A lot of 3rd party games do not sell well on the Cube.

----------------------------+---------+
SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE | 837,818 |
SUPER MONKEY BALL | 410,739 |
SONIC MEGA COLLECTION | 368,799 |
SUPER MONKEY BALL 2 | 327,428 |
SONIC ADVENTURE DX | 270,297 |
SONIC HEROES | 199,032 |
PHANTASY STAR ONLINE I & II | 180,798 |

You fell stupid now.:lol:

Vert1
04-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Skies of Arcadia didn't do well on DC.Skies of Arcadia didn't do good on GC.Wanna know why because there were no advertisements for this game!!!As for Sega not doing good on GC :haha: :spinface:

folken001
04-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Mainstreme Fan
SONIC HEROES | 199,032 |

You fell stupid now.:lol:

Which ones are recent? Sonic Heroes? And how good did it do? barely 190000 units? That is not good by any standard. And I never said all of the Sega games on GC tanked.

And, would you provide the link where you got there info from?

Vert1
04-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Folken please be quiet you've been proven wrong now quit the immature babble.

folken001
04-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Vert1
Folken please be quiet you've been proven wrong now quit the immature babble.

What's so wrong? Sega games doing well on GC? Is that why you see so much support from Sega for Nintendo right now?

Let's see... what is coming to GC from Sega in the near future....

Only one game has a somewhat solid release date from ign.com. It's Puyo pop fever.... What else? Anyone wants to give a hand to show Sega's overwhelming support for GC? I mean it's only logical right? Considering so much profit Sega is making off GC, its support should be nonstop......

Vert1
04-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Super Monkey Ball3 and Virtua Fighter.Please just because Sega doesn't really have any games coming to a console doesn't mean they did bad on that console I think you need to go back and look at those numbers again.If someone has that link of the comparison of sales on consoles for Sega it be much appreciated.

All I know is that Sega has been supportive of Cube and have been doing fine on it.If you have a link to tell me Sega is dissapointed with Cube show me it then if you can find it show me the link of the cumalative sales on each console to prove Cube is not a good choice for Sega games.(You do know that Sega gets way more sales on GC than XBOX and that some Sega GC games have outsold Sega PS2 games?).Where's that damn link...:angry:

If you're really interested on Sega click in Sega Sales in Search Forums for some interesting reads.

folken001
04-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Vert1
Super Monkey Ball3 and Virtua Fighter.Please just because Sega doesn't really have any games coming to a console doesn't mean they did bad on that console I think you need to go back and look at those numbers again.If someone has that link of the comparison of sales on consoles for Sega it be much appreciated.

All I know is that Sega has been supportive of Cube and have been doing fine on it.If you have a link to tell me Sega is dissapointed with Cube show me it then if you can find it show me the link of the cumalative sales on each console to prove Cube is not a good choice for Sega games.(You do know that Sega gets way more sales on GC than XBOX and that some Sega GC games outsell Sega PS2 games?).Where's that damn link...:angry:

Super monkey ball 3 MIGHT be shown at this E3. It is not yet clear whether it will or not and Virtual Fighter cyber generation is not even a fighter. It is a fighter RPG. Yea, I am sure that's going to do well.

I look at the sale number that mainstream fan provided (without a link), all the Sega games with the exception of sonic advanture 2 did mediocre at best. You have 16 million GC owners and GC has very limited variety of games, yet, it failed to sell most of these Sega games over half million. blah.

You know and I know that I do not have any link to show you that Sega isn't happy with Nintendo. But, do you have one saying that Sega is happy with Nintendo? I don't think so. That reasoning is very flawed. However, we can see from Sega's action to tell whether it's happy with Nintendo or not. If Sega is happy with GC's performance and is making profit off of it, why would Sega only have 4 games planned for GC this year? That is if we assume that Monkey Ball 3 and Virtual Fighter will come out this year which I seriously doubt. In fact, Virtua fighter is scheduled for next year (2005) according to ign.com. And how is GC the choice for Sega when Xbox and PS2 have more Sega titles than GC? (both have 8 coming this year and 2005)

All I am saying here is, it is very obvious that Sega is decreasing its support for GC. I think the reason is Sega games did not do as well as Sega hope they would.

Vert1
04-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Yawn maybe Sega is running out of ideas.What PS2 games and XBOX games do they plan to show at E3??Sega has been doing fine on GC and until we can find a list of cumalitive sales we cannot comment on the comparison of other consoles.I'm telling you though Sega on Nintendo kicked the crap out of Sega on XBOX and if I'm no mistaken slightly beat out Sega on PS2 for sales.I'll reply to this thread again when someone finds that link shunning all your hopes of anti-cubism or I find it.Right now this is really dumb...

Edit:as for my reasoning being flawed you've got to be kidding me.You say Sega is unsatisfied with GC and while you have no link of cumalitive sales of other consoles you have no link for them being supposedly unhappy with cube.

folken001
04-10-2004, 08:06 PM
I have nothing against the Cube. I like certain games on it, but that is not going to stop me from telling the truth. I dont' like how some of people on this board takes whatever comments that aren't in the favor of Nintendo as an act of anti-cubism. That is just ridiculous.

No, I am not kidding. You do not need a person to tell you literally that he is angry in order to know that he is. When he is punching the wall, yelling at you or whatnot, you can tell a peron is unhappy, mad, or whatever. Well, unless you are braindead or just lack of common sense, then MAYBE. Sega has decreased its support for Nintendo, I think that is rather obvious. Would you not agree that is nothing negative? And that negativity is there because Sega is happy with Nintendo? U gotta to be kidding me. You'll never see the day that Sega comes out and say that GameCube just sucks and not worh to program for though.

Vert1
04-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Here's a link I found with sales I'm pretty sure this is what I was talking earlier about:http://cube.ign.com/articles/373/373041p1.html?fromint=1

GC has the highest selling Sega game...

Sony=sports Nintendo=what is left

folken001
04-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Dude, the data is from 2002. That is more than a year ago. That is anything but recent...

And I already stated earlier, with the exception of Sonic Adventure 2..... have you not been reading.....?

VF is not sport....

Jet Grind Radio is not sport..

Vert1
04-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Never satisfied are you...unless you can find me another link for 2003 overall sales stop complaining.

folken001
04-10-2004, 08:26 PM
No, that is not necessarily true. But we are talking about recent, how is your data from more than a year ago going to help?

If your friend tells you that he has been exercising recently, you don't expect he started this exercising thingy from a year ago, do you?
Now, what exactly am I complaining about? Did I cry about wanting someone else to shut up? Or did I whine about how finding links to prove something so obvious?

I already stated that you can see the deminished support from Sega, but there is nothing I can do if you want me to find a official statement saying so.

Vert1
04-10-2004, 08:32 PM
I'll have to go see if I can find an overall Sega sales for 2003 so we don't look like we're pointlessly debating.:spinface:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6383&highlight=2003+Sega+Sales

Nindalf posted some stuff I dk if it's what I'm looking for.It was very hard to read but it seems that again GC is doing better than XBOX/PS2 for all non-sports games.

Sammythy
04-10-2004, 09:34 PM
I think a lot of Sega titles get lost amongst the crowd of PS2 software. It happens to many titles. I guess this is one of the many problems you get with a large market share.
I do not think Sega have been really producing any where near the same quantity or quality titles they did a few years back regardless of system. None of the consoles seem to be receiving wholehearted backing from the company. Maybe Sammy's influence will change that. I hope they pick up again soon . They are still one of my favourite companies.

Vert1
04-10-2004, 10:16 PM
What have I liked this gen from Sega

Skies of Arcadia:Legends(RPG's cant get much better)
Super Monkey Ball1 and 2(very fun I have some amzing saved replays)
F-Zero GX(this game is f*&^@# hard I really want to unlock the pilot's endings/videos)
Sonic Mega Collection(old-school Sonic love)
Beach Spikers(great multi-player game)

What I need to try PSO1&2+3 and Sega Soccer Slam.All in all I'm still satisfied with Sega but they need to get their act together with a few games(like Sonic).

A list of all Sega's upcoming 2004 games would be nice or do I have to go venture for that myself to? When is Island of Kaijii coming out for Cube???

Icarus4578
04-11-2004, 02:56 AM
What I loved the most about Sega:

Virtua Racing ~ When this game first arrived home on Genesis & 32X it was just A-MA-ZING! Excellent tunes and fun gameplay combined to deliver another Sega classic. They don't make games with addictive music like this anymore. (Did B-Univ do the music for this? It certainly sounds that way.) Nowadays every new racer is trying to be either a simulator like Gran Turismo or a cartoon like Mario Kart ~ Double Dash. I'll take neither, thank you. Games like VR, Sega Rally Championship, and Daytona are what racing games should be. Not everything in gaming needs to be as close to real life as possible. Why can't they give us more games like these?
Sonic 1-3 ~ The first time I played Sonic it was a religious experience. So fresh and new, I just couldn't put it down. Nowadays you don't find this level of ingenuity and imagination. Cool designs, excellent music, and responsive gameplay that kept me hooked for a long time. While not as good as the first time (what is?), Sonic games still remain a fine idea for those days when you're snowed inside and you just want to cuddle by the heater wrapped in a blanket (probably because you just woke up), sipping on some hot cocoa with marshmallows, playing Sonic followed by Forgotten Worlds or Joe Monatna NFL Sportstalk Football. Yeah baby! That's what life is all about!
Shining Force (series) ~ Sega's trojan horse in strategy games, SF titles have always been incredibly addictive and challenging, yet remain effortless to play. These games just suck you in like a vaccum and never let go. Awesome music, esp. part II and the Sega CD incarnation. Unfortunately, I've never played III; one of the regrets of my life.
Space Harrier ~ Were any of you there first-hand to witness the Sega Master System conversion of one of Sega's most infamous arcade titles? If so, you remember the magic feeling that encompassed games like this, games which rubbed off happy memories onto their practitioners and simply refuse to be forgotten. Space Harrier was one such title. Everything about this game screamed quality and it truly was a showcase title that left an impression which is easy to figure: Sega + Games = Quality. To borrow a quote from Atari ~ "Do the math." Ever since then, Sega's been one of the leading software companies. If only the love and passion that embellished classics like these was still present in their new software....
Phantasy Star (series) ~ Gah! How can anybody mention Sega without bring up Phantasy Star in the same breath? PSII was paramount in making me into an RPGamer (along with Ultima and Final Fantasy). I literally remember all of my first encounters with these games. All I can say is that I'm happy I had the opportunity to experience these games back when everything felt so fresh and new, and didn't begin my gaming life now when corporatism plaques all of gaming to its core. A game such as PSIV destroys every new RPG, hands down. I'm not even going to bother wasting my time disputing the point.
Alex Kidd ~ Many of you probably never played this game. I feel sorry for you. If you play it now you'll probably wonder what's so special about this.... Well, I'd tell you, but then you'd have to be me to know exactly what words cannot convey but what experience could. I'll tell you this much: Alex Kidd displays something you don't really see much of anymore -- imagination. That's right. Just because they can make games with 5 million polygons on-screen and 40 minutes of FMV doesn't mean JACK; gameplay is what gaming is really about, and AK has it in spades.
Streets of Rage (series) ~ Ah, so I've found something most everybody is familiar with! And why's that? Because Yuzo Koshiro did the soundtracks? Maybe, but let's not kid ourselves; SoR is one of the prominent beat-'em-ups of all generations. Certainly you could say that if not for the soundtrack it wouldn't have stood out like it did, and you'd probably be right, mostly. But let us not dismiss how relevant this series was. Back when it first came out fighting games/beat-'em-ups were all the rage, this being due to the heavy popularity of arcade titles by Capcom, Konami, and others. Sega wanted to have a title to compete with Final Fight (SNES) and that's probably why they made it in the first place. Of course, to say Sega was a stranger to beat-'em-ups is fiction. They had their fair share of arcade thug-action going on, including the fairly popular Die Hard which was released on the Titan arcade board (basically a souped-up Sega Saturn) and the rockin' oldie Golden Axe (except for part III which was just painful). It may be rehash by now, but it still has a fresh charm to it that is unique. Qualities like these are what I'm most fond of, and hey, it's still pretty fun.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Sega used to be a great company. As of right now they're average at best. Shenmue was their last truly great game in my book. Most everything else since then has been unmemorable. I may be especially fond of their older works, but I'm not blind to what makes gaming special, so I realize that they're not doing things as well as they used to. I want Sega to succeed. Put simply - I want the Sega/Nintendo console wars back. Screw S0ny and Micro$oft - give me back the gaming wars as done by actual game developers.

Vert1
04-11-2004, 03:20 AM
I couldn't agree more with your last statement.As of now it seems the world is plummetting into an innovativeless void.

Icarus4578
04-11-2004, 03:31 AM
Sega was unique, like a music group that sounds completely unlike any other, and so you would always rely on them to deliver a great product with aftertaste. A fond farewell to those good times.....

Mainstreme Fan
04-11-2004, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by folken001
[B]
I look at the sale number that mainstream fan provided (without a link), all the Sega games with the exception of sonic advanture 2 did mediocre at best. You have 16 million GC owners and GC has very limited variety of games, yet, it failed to sell most of these Sega games over half million. blah.

O great. Another clown who thinks a game has to sale over a millon copies to be be a smash hit. If you really think a game must sale over millions to do well then you muss consider a whole lot of games made over the past years a falue, including those on the sony systems. Or your just full it.

ATMA
04-11-2004, 05:25 PM
What is the last profitable Sega game on GC? I can't think of one.

Just remember this is what I quoted from you and this is what we will discuss.

If you follow this link (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7291) you'll noticed that these numbers came from SEGA OF AMERICA. So that means they are valid, and that they are only in one market which is the US market.

------------------------+---------+
Nintendo Gamecube | Total |
SONIC HEROES | 199,032 |
NFL 2K3 | 130,467 |
BILLY HATCHER | 115,168 |
NBA 2K3 | 97,446 |
SKIES OF ARCADIA LEGENDS | 78,079 |
NBA 2K2 | 77,327 |
HOME RUN KING | 64,398 |
BEACH SPIKERS | 63,167 |
SOCCER SLAM | 38,934 |
NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3 | 25,610 |
VIRTUA STRIKER 2002 | 8,931 |
NHL 2K3 | 7,964 |
NCAA BASKETBALL 2K3 | 5,788 |
Microsoft Xbox | Total |
NFL 2K3 | 282,475 |
ESPN NFL FOOTBALL | 184,089 |
NBA 2K3 | 178,910 |
WORLD SERIES BASEBALL | 127,660 |
ESPN NBA BASKETBALL | 124,027 |
PANZER DRAGOON ORTA | 115,676 |
NBA 2K2 | 112,510 |
HOUSE OF THE DEAD III | 104,786 |
CRAZY TAXI 3 | 101,240 |
NFL 2K2 | 98,583 |
NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3 | 95,700 |
JET SET RADIO FUTURE | 95,476 |
GUNVALKYRIE | 91,704 |
WORLD SERIES BASEBALL 2K3 | 81,077 |
NCAA BASKETBALL 2K3 | 80,229 |
SEGA GT 2002 | 79,511 |
TOEJAM & EARL III | 63,822 |
NHL 2K3 | 61,453 |
ESPN NHL HOCKEY | 51,039 |
OTOGI: MYTH OF DEMONS | 50,203 |
ESPN COLLEGE HOOPS | 34,112 |
SOCCER SLAM | 28,980 |
SONIC HEROES | 16,640 |
SEGA GT ONLINE | 6,936 |
Playstation 2 | Total |
VIRTUA FIGHTER 4/EVO | 788,021 |
NFL 2K3 | 776,693 |
NBA 2K2 | 465,414 |
NBA 2K3 | 398,502 |
NFL 2K2 | 358,259 |
SHINOBI | 266,589 |
ESPN NFL FOOTBALL | 191,563 |
ESPN NBA BASKETBALL | 172,610 |
NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3 | 162,925 |
NCAA BASKETBALL 2K3 | 90,324 |
WORLD SERIES BASEBALL2K3 | 90,012 |
TENNIS 2K2 | 87,366 |
NHL 2K3 | 79,316 |
GUNGRAVE | 73,655 |
ESPN NHL HOCKEY | 72,279 |
SOCCER SLAM | 43,760 |
BASS FISHING DUEL | 37,935 |
SONIC HEROES | 32,091 |
AERO ELITE: COMBAT | 25,263 |
KING OF ROUTE 66 | 20,029 |
FERRARI F355 CHALLENGE | 18,263 |
VIRTUAL-ON MARZ | 6,205 |
----------------------------+---------+--------+
Top 10 [All-Formats] | Total | Format |
10 NFL 2K3 | 282,475 | XBX |
9 SUPER MONKEY BALL 2 | 327,428 | NGC |
8 NFL 2K2 | 358,259 | PS2 |
7 SONIC MEGA COLLECTION | 368,799 | NGC |
6 NBA 2K3 | 398,502 | PS2 |
5 SUPER MONKEY BALL | 410,739 | NGC |
4 NBA 2K2 | 465,269 | PS2 |
3 NFL 2K3 | 776,693 | PS2 |
2 VIRTUA FIGHTER 4/EVO | 788,021 | PS2 |
1 SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE | 837,818 | NGC |

Look at those numbers I have to correct one thing, I said Monkey Ball did around 800k but that was Sonic and not Monkey Ball. And now to prove you wrong look at those numbers FROM SEGA OF AMERICA of the Cube and compared them to the ones on the ps2, I wouldn't see a reason why you would say Sega hasn't been much profitable on the Cube or Sega isn't happy with the Cube. Also remember that these numbers contrubuted to Sega recovering from the red since the DC era and just before Sammy took over. And about PSO, thanks to the Cube and Xbox it reached a nice numbers of subscribers which also helped Sega getting out of the red. So if you keep saying that Sega isn't happy with the Cube I would suggest you let your favouritism fall and look at those numbers and see how they contradict what you said about Sega and the Cube. And keep in mind this is only one market.

Decado
04-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Sega has released the type of games that you'd expect to do well on the GC...and for the most part it has worked.

Anyway, I'd love to see a Shining Force IV for PS2 (because I want to see the game actually sell) or GC (because I want to Camelot to do it). Best scenario would be for Camelot to make it on the PS2...but somehow I doubt that would happen. :(

Phantasy Star V for the PS2 would interest me a hell of a lot more than porting over Phantasy Star Online 1-3. Sega's GC/DC/Xbox to PS2 ports blow (not that most of their original titles have been any good, for the most part).

I'd also like to see Sakura Taisen 5 (sp?) make it to N. America (yeah, I know there are rumours, but I'll believe it when I see it) and turn out well.

If Sega's going to continue making garbage on the PS2 (milking the user-base), I hope they just stick with the GC and Xbox and leave Virtua Fighter and their sports games on the PS2 (the only things they've done well, IMO).

ATMA
04-12-2004, 05:52 PM
IwasDecado? Is that the best you could think of after you can't sign in with your old account? :P

Check the community board and check the thread with changing username and tell your situation and maybe Drunken Savior can help you getting atleast your old name back.

Axe Wielding Nut
04-12-2004, 06:10 PM
IwasDecado? Is that the best you could think of after you can't sign in with your old account? :P

Check the community board and check the thread with changing username and tell your situation and maybe Drunken Savior can help you getting atleast your old name back.

aww lay off the kid.. I was Carnivale for like a month before people realized I used to be Spited Pariah

ATMA
04-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Hey Decado is my rival so I thought I give him a warm welcome. (You know i'm pulling your leg Decado)

OMFG you were Spited Pariah....okay chill.
OMFG you were Carnivale? ...... there's a glitch in the matrix. ... WOW/ Keanu

ps: Hey Gorath how's the Gamecube section? I see you made a lot of friends there. :D

Axe Wielding Nut
04-12-2004, 06:22 PM
ps: Hey Gorath how's the Gamecube section? I see you made a lot of friends there. :D

oh you bet! I luv me some gamecube!:D

man.. those gamecubers... nothin but trouble:lol:

Decado
04-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Hey Decado is my rival so I thought I give him a warm welcome. (You know i'm pulling your leg Decado) Hehe.

I had a miserable time logining back onto this board. I couldn't login with Decado (even after getting a different password), I tried setting up a new account ala Decado1...but I never got the email. Finally I made a new Yahoo account and got in.

It took me a long time...you guys better be worth it! :irked:

Corona-X
04-13-2004, 07:04 PM
I am so sick of Phantasy Star Online. Sega should have done an offline, proper, Phantasy Star V to go head to head with FFX back in the day, but whatever.

If it comes out, it should be on GameCube. I dont think the PS2 could do the game justice.

Axe Wielding Nut
04-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Corona-X
If it comes out, it should be on GameCube. I dont think the PS2 could do the game justice.

any console could do it justice, what doesn't do it justice is that its not out.

ATMA
04-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Corona-X

Why? I mean the Cube didn't do justice to Baten Kaitos either, so why would this one be any different?

Originally posted by Decado
It took me a long time...you guys better be worth it!

The guys where you can have a long ass debate with are still around, so it will be worth it. Now go to the thread "I have changed my name" in the community board and report your problem and Drunken Savior might help you out.