PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix in talks with Epic to get full version of Final Fantasy XV on Switch

Rubeus
09-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Even if it works, the game probably won't fit entirely into the Switch cartridge, you probably need to download another 30GB+ of data to the Switch?

https://www.destructoid.com//ul/462222-EERTA-m.jpg');

Square Enix in talks with Epic to get full, non-chibi version of Final Fantasy XV on Switch

As we learned recently, Square Enix is trying to get Final Fantasy XV on every platform under the sun. It's already running on PC with some visual upgrades, and a mobile edition is arriving at some point with a truncated chibi graphical style. But the Switch is another issue entirely.

Right now, Square Enix is set on putting the fully-featured XV on Nintendo's latest console, but they ran into problems getting the proprietary Luminous Engine to run. The solution? It might be Unreal. Speaking to Eurogamer, director Hajime Tabata noted that they're in talks with Epic to see "what [they] could possibly do there," in terms of using the engine or possibly even partnering up.

Given that Final Fantasy is sort of an evergreen property there's no rush here, so long as it includes most, if not all of the DLC to entice people in. Bethesda is leading the charge in terms of downgraded but seemingly functional current generation Switch ports (time, and reviews/hands-on reports will tell) with Doom and Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, but Square Enix could be right behind them.

https://www.destructoid.com/square-enix-in-talks-with-epic-to-get-full-non-chibi-version-of-final-fantasy-xv-on-switch-462222.phtml

spider-prime
09-20-2017, 09:45 PM
I wonder how much of a downgrade it would need to run on the switch. Switch carts go up to 32gb is what I can find with a google search, but I wouldn't be surprised if they can go higher later on.

Drunken Savior
09-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Multiple carts!

Hagane
09-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Multiple carts!

That would be ironic if we look back at the reason why square dropped support for nintendo during the n64 age.

Carts!

Rubeus
09-21-2017, 01:28 AM
The PS4 version was 50.698GB, so with downgraded visual the game should still be at least 40GB, it's still too large for cartridge. So the game can be digital only?

spider-prime
09-21-2017, 04:03 AM
40 gbs wouldn't even fit on the switch without a SD card.

Hagane
09-21-2017, 02:35 PM
The other solution would be to tear it apart in episodes but I doubt that anyone that has played the game would agree to that idea.

Escaflowne2001
09-21-2017, 05:11 PM
The PS4 version was 50.698GB, so with downgraded visual the game should still be at least 40GB, it's still too large for cartridge. So the game can be digital only?

Wolfenstein was 41gb and Wolfenstein II is still coming to the Switch. Most likely it'll be partly on the cart (32gb) I think and partly downloaded unless they are going to do some major compression work.

That said I'd rather have the full version on the PS4/XB1 first.

spider-prime
09-21-2017, 09:07 PM
If they don't need high res textures cause of the lower power of the switch compared to the PS4/Xbox, it probably will lower the memory requirements by a lot, so they might be able to fit it on a entire cart still. It must be very doable since they come out soon, for Doom at least.

Drunken Savior
09-21-2017, 10:00 PM
https://www.destructoid.com//ul/462222-EERTA-m.jpg

Why are three of them walking while one is driving the car?

spider-prime
09-21-2017, 10:28 PM
Cause the guy in the car is EXTREMELY lazy.

Nem
09-22-2017, 06:29 AM
It infuriates me how they can't let go of FFXV. It's a terrible FF and theres no saving it. Just move the f*** on.

Escaflowne2001
09-22-2017, 10:04 AM
Most likely because like it or not it's one of the best selling games in the series after (VII, XIII, VIII and X) and they have a lot of time and versions on it. Expect to hear about FFXV for quite some time yet.